Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLASH is BACK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

sounds like an eddie van halen discard from 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AxlRose1992

Some new Slash tracks released. "Ghost" and "I Hold On" are killer. "Starlight" isn't bad, better than I thought, but it wouldn't be one of my favourites.

Another one, the Ozzy Osbourne song "Crucify the Dead" this time. Very cool I think.

I remember reading an interview with a DJ who heard this song months ago and he said it references Axl Rose in it, and after listening to it, i notice Ozzy sings "A loaded gun jammed by a rose". Perhaps a metaphor for Axl holding Slash back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Pretty mediocre poprock so far except for one or two tracks. I was expected so much more from Slash. The Ozzy track is good though, clearly about Axl.

"A loaded gun jammed by a rose".

Interesting line. Slash's work in Guns is light years ahead of anything he has done since. Maybe Axl was doing him a favour after all.

I still think that Axl and Slash w/Izzy have a chemistry and magic that none of them have been able to repeat on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RonMexico wrote: »
    Pretty mediocre poprock so far except for one or two tracks. I was expected so much more from Slash. The Ozzy track is good though, clearly about Axl.

"A loaded gun jammed by a rose".

Interesting line. Slash's work in Guns is light years ahead of anything he has done since. Maybe Axl was doing him a favour after all.

I still think that Axl and Slash w/Izzy have a chemistry and magic that none of them have been able to repeat on their own.

Myself I reckon Duff was the musical gel that held all their styles together. He was defo the muso in the band and the one with the knack of writing a catchy tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

I read it and found it dull/depressing. He seemed to want to be a rock star rather than a musician which is a little juvenille.
    He didn`t feel comfortable if he stayed still, had to be touring no matter what, which I see as a case of fleeing any semblence of moral responsibility.
    Also, claiming to have a hold on his heroin addiction was a complete farce, it had him 100% addicted and he is insane if he thinks he`s convinced anyone otherwise.
    He also gave out about a lot of people which was hypocritical, when he himself admitted to fcuking everyone over and being a complete prick. The most selfish irresponsible destructive biography I`ve read to date.
    He doesn`t have any redeeming qualities in my eyes. Handy guitarist but nothing to write home about.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Half the book was moaning about what an ar$ehole axl was to people & how he treated them badly. All the time he talks about how he used people for whatever he could get.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

A further clear example that Slash did not actually write much of the Guns n Roses classics. The guy hasn't written a good riff since which to me tells a lot.

Vudgie wrote: »
    A further clear example that Slash did not actually write much of the Guns n Roses classics. The guy hasn't written a good riff since which to me tells a lot.
    Ah, not really. Listen to the Snakepit albums (especially the first - "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere"). There are some seriously good songs on them (Beggars and Hangers On comes to mind).

Velvet Revolver have some cool stuff. As for cool riffs, "Slither" "Fall to Pieces" and "She Builds Quick Machines" are very good.

Haven't heard enough of the new album, but Ghost seems pretty good. I know he hasn't done much on the scale of "Estranged" or "November Rain", but he's still got some cool bluesy riffs.

Ah, not really. Listen to the Snakepit albums (especially the first - "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere"). There are some seriously good songs on them (Beggars and Hangers On comes to mind).

Velvet Revolver have some cool stuff. As for cool riffs, "Slither" "Fall to Pieces" and "She Builds Quick Machines" are very good.

Haven't heard enough of the new album, but Ghost seems pretty good. I know he hasn't done much on the scale of "Estranged" or "November Rain", but he's still got some cool bluesy riffs.

Duff wrote most of Beggers and Hangers On

Kess73 wrote: »
    Duff wrote most of Beggers and Hangers On
    You sure? I thought it was a song Slash wrote for the intention to be included on Chinese Democracy. Much of that album is stuff that was intended for Guns N' Roses material.

• Advertisement

You sure? I thought it was a song Slash wrote for the intention to be included on Chinese Democracy. Much of that album is stuff that was intended for Guns N' Roses material.

Yep 100% sure that Duff wrote that song with Slash and Eric Dover.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

izzy stradlin wrote most of the music and songs in guns. axl and slash helped to tweek them but izzy was the man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

True story man, Izzy pretty much was GnR. Him leaving is what ultimately killed the band.

Axl and Izzy are the heart of GNR. Slash can't write a song to save himself. He came up with some great riffs and solos for GNR but he received a lot of direction from Axl regarding melodies etc. Slash hates Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain but Axl insisted on using the Sweet Child opening riff when he heard Slash doing it as a warm up exercise. Slash thought it was worthless. Izzy was great for writing a sing along chorus and Duff added some great punk attitude to the mix - Its So Easy etc.

Slash hates Sweet Child O' Mine and November Rain but Axl insisted on using the Sweet Child opening riff when he heard Slash doing it as a warm up exercise.

Pretty positive it was Izzy that heard him playing it and they worked out the rest of the song together while Axl wrote the lyrics on his own. That's what it says in Slashs book and a bio of the band I read. Think I seen an interview where Izzy confirmed that aswell.

All members of the band contibuted a lot, if you look at the writting of Paradise City for example, every member of the band contributed lyrics, even Adler, and they worked the melody, riffs ect together pretty much from scratch. That's true of most of their best songs.

Another one, the Ozzy Osbourne song "Crucify the Dead" this time. Very cool I think.

I remember reading an interview with a DJ who heard this song months ago and he said it references Axl Rose in it, and after listening to it, i notice Ozzy sings "A loaded gun jammed by a rose". Perhaps a metaphor for Axl holding Slash back??

Amazing track. Easy to see why people might view it as being about Axl: (if it is, Jesus.....vicious)

The fire started long ago
    The flames burned out, still embers glow
    So charred and black
    There's nothing left to burn, to burn

We had the same dream
    Lived life to extreme
    A loaded gun jammed by a rose

The thorns are not around your head
    Your ego cursed you till you bled
    You cannot crucify the dead
    To me you're dead, yeah

The future is unset in stone
    Decisions past leave you alone
    Betrayed us all with your own selfish greed, your greed, yeah

New soldiers now say
    That your beggars collect
    Re-crucified and paid by you

To me you're dead, yeah

We were like brothers with the world in our hands
    You always have too much to say
    Someday you look back and you wonder why
    You let it all slip away, yeah

SOLO

Crucify the dead
    Crucify the dead

To me you're dead, yeah

While I'm posting lyrics:

I Hold On (feat. Kid Rock)

I feel your comfort my dreams
    Unprotected silent screams
    A light beyond your shadow beams
    Still I don't know what it means

When seasons change
    Memories remain

I hold on because I won't let go
    Even though I know there's solitude below
    I hold on because I can't let go
    I refuse to let the hands of fate unfold
    I hold on

And when the darkness turns to day
    I won't let you drift away
    Conscience fades as some let go
    But I hang on 'cause I know

When seasons change
    Memories remain

I hold on

SOLO

No, no

Hold on, I hold on
    Oh, I hold on

Back From Cali (feat Myles Kennedy)

Woke up this morning all alone
    I got a ringin' in my head
    I couldn't take it anymore today
    She left me here for dead
    Oh, I (echoed)

And it don't come as no surprise
    I should have known if from the start
    The lights are faded
    And I can't deny this place ain't got no heart

Oh, you can hear my tonight
    You can hear me tonight

You'll have to carry me
    Back from Cali
    I'm tired and broken and I lost my way
    You'll have to carry me
    Back to where I belong
    You'll have to carry me
    Back from Cali
    I don't want money
    I don't need the fame
    You'll have to carry me
    Back to where I belong

I got to leave this angel city
    I can't do it by myself
    So if you please
    Mama, can you save me
    Before I blow this life to hell

SOLO

Oh, love
    Mama drag me by the feet
    And just drag me home

You'll have to carry me
    Back from Cali
    I don't care if you think I'm to blame
    You'll have to carry me
    Back to where I belong
    You'll have to carry me
    Back from Cali
    The angel city where the devils play
    You'll have to carry me
    Back to where I belong

Yeah, you can hear me tonight
    You can hear me tonight
    You can hear me tonight
    You can hear me tonight

I've lost my way
    I'm so alone
    And all I want to do is come home

Starlight

In the distance light years from tomorrow
    Far beyond yesterday
    She is watching heart aching with sorrow
    She is broken as she waits
    Hoping when all is said and done
    We learn to love and be as one

Oh starlight don't you cry
    We're gonna make it right before tomorrow
    We're gonna find a place where we belong
    Where we belong

As so you know
    You'll never shine alone

There are shadows steep in the horizon
    Leave us scared and so afraid
    As the fallout of a world divided
    It brings her tears and so much pain
    So we take off from the dark
    Hoping to find where we can start

Where we belong

As so you know
    You'll never shine alone
    Starlight will find a place where we belong

You will see
    As the mountains fall and turn to dust
    There is one thing that won't change
    I believe there is something
    Within each of us that always stays
    That will always remain as long as love lives (always)?

Solo

Where we belong

As so you know
    You'll never shine alone
    Starlight will find a place where we belong
    We belong

She is watching heart aching with sorrow
    She is broken as she waits"

All lyrics shamelessly lifted from mygnrforum.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Lots of Mixed Opinions here so found this Online..

Try before You Buy (or Burn/Steal etc:pac:)..

Free Streaming of the Full Album here.. http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/15

Some Pretty Cool Stuff on there Going on First Listen:P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Promise - Slash/Chris Cornell

Lyrics:

The first time I ever saw you
    You had that far away look in your eyes
    And heaven's eyes shined down upon you
    And the whole room filled up with light

Now the cruel world it's gonna try and change you
    Try to hang you up and mess with your pride
    Now the rich just try to chain you (?)
    You got to keep your fire burning inside

Promise me
    You won't let them put out your fire
    Put out your fire
    Promise me
    Put out your fire

*Wah laden Coda*

Now sometimes the world tries to slap you
    And it seems to love watching you fall
    I wont lie to you, it's gonna happen
    You got to pick yourself up and move on

Promise me
    Put out your fire
    Promise me
    Put out your fire

*Greasy Solo*

Which star will I be thinking of tonight
    Tonight
    Which star will I be thinking of tonight
    Tonight

Promise me
    Put out your fire
    Put out your fire

Promise me
    (Why don't you)
    Promise me
    (Why don't you)
    Promise me
    (Why don't you)
    Promise me
    (Why don't you)

*Did someone say outro?*

• Advertisement

After listening to the whole album, best songs are "Crucify the Dead", "Promise", "Dr. Alibi" and "We're All Gonna Die".

On one of the regional discs, "Mother Maria" featuring Beth Hart is amazing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

When is this out here?

Also, I've heard some of the album. The Iggy Pop and Lemmy tracks are a wee bit predictable to say the least.

My faves are the Ozzy track, and the one with Andrew Stockdale from Wolfmother.

I think the album showcases Slash at his best AND worst. I love the Ozzy, Iggy, Cornell, Astbury, Stockdale and the instrumental track.

I hate both of the Miles Kennedy tracks. His voice makes my skin crawl. Sadly this is the guy Slash is bringing on tour with him and rumoured to be the next Velvet Revolver singer. I hate him.

Then there is the Kid Rock and Fergie tracks. In their own right they are good songs but I hate the way Slash whores himself out to the latest fad pop gimmick trends.

There is little or nothing surprising about this record - it is straight ahead verse chorus verse rocking. I just kept on thinking when listening to it - "What would this sound like with Axl's input?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think the album showcases Slash at his best AND worst. I love the Ozzy, Iggy, Cornell, Astbury, Stockdale and the instrumental track.

I hate both of the Miles Kennedy tracks. His voice makes my skin crawl. Sadly this is the guy Slash is bringing on tour with him and rumoured to be the next Velvet Revolver singer. I hate him.

Then there is the Kid Rock and Fergie tracks. In their own right they are good songs but I hate the way Slash whores himself out to the latest fad pop gimmick trends.

There is little or nothing surprising about this record - it is straight ahead verse chorus verse rocking. I just kept on thinking when listening to it - "What would this sound like with Axl's input?"

Has a whiff of Carlos Santana about it.

Ah, "Back from Cali" is good, "Starlight" isn't great.

I like the Kid Rock song, bit of a change of pace, and the Fergie one isn't too bad - surprising.

By an absolute mile the worst song is "Shackles and Chains" with Nick Oliveri. One of the worst songs I've heard in ages, and by far the worst song Slash had an input on throughout his career.

Great performance here from Slash and Will Ferrel, I mean thst guy from Wolfmother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭RayCon

Gave the album a listen and have to say I found it fairly predictable and boring. If this was a new / unsigned / unheard of band releasing those standard of songs they'd be be thrown on the "generic rock" dump pile and ignored.

Give me "generic rock" over any new band these days. Bunch of whiny tofu eating prats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭RayCon

Give me "generic rock" over any new band these days. Bunch of whiny tofu eating prats.

Agree with you about the "new bands" ... but still doesn't make this any better.

• Advertisement

Yeah but I wasn't expecting anything else from Slash. He is a brilliant guitarist but lazy as fcuk. It is no coincidence that his best work came when he worked with Izzy Stradlin and Axl Rose.

Advertisement