Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tax in Ireland? We're mugs!

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cerastes wrote: »
    Im saying compare to all, in the context of this not being motors but rip off ireland, I think a comparison to the level, cost and quality of services to countries similar to ours, not just potentially some of the best ones, The Netherlands and Finland.

As for the tax on the fridge, yes I would like to not think about it after being ripped off by seeing it daily on the fridge :)

You're looking to be compared to broke Southern European nations with significantly different income levels and tax systems; while trying to reject comparisons to countries of similar wealth and tax levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

doolox wrote: »
    <snip>
    Germany has no tolls as far as I can see but you dont get to pay road tax on a hire car so I wouldn'y know. <snip>
    indeed, no tolls but high personal "taxes"
    i.e. you pay the real cost for your pension of about 9%
    PLUS a 15.5% for health care
    PLUS a tax for old age care
    PLUS a few shillings for unification
    PLUS all that on top of PRSI and income tax at a similar rate to Ireland
    BUT shag all tax credits
    PLUS water/ bins/ council tax and other stuff that in Ireland "should be free"
    PLUS no free sh1te for pensioners nor do pensioners get an insane tax free allowance or bus pass or free electric, phone, heating

Ireland is a paradise with the insanely low taxes, and if you have a low emmisions 2008+ car you also have cheap motor tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

MYOB wrote: »
    You're looking to be compared to broke Southern European nations with significantly different income levels and tax systems; while trying to reject comparisons to countries of similar wealth and tax levels.

So, we're not southern then. So were broke and shirty weather
    I dont think the Netherlands or Finland or say Denmark are similar countries to Ireland. These countries have good infrastructure, sounder less corrupt politics, not that Im saying they fit some supposed perfect mould of northern perfection, but they have homegrown industries, so I wouldnt say they are of similar wealth, I think their taxes may or are very likely higher than ours, but they get something in return for it, functional services.
    As for the motor tax
    I still think its ridiculous that motor tax for a pre 08 vehicle however far back that goes, with the same CO2 emissions as a newer car sold 08 on is taxed significantly higher.
    I understand the idea was to promote car sales and supposedly in support of reducing emissions of CO2, not that I agreed with that anyway as the money was being sent out of this country and benefited a small section of one business type when it could have been invested here in Ireland in a better way, ie encourage people to improve home insulation, not on the cheap but in a measured longlasting effective way not detrimental to the structure of building design here. That would have saved reams more on CO2 emisions and could have brought the benefit to more than just those that could afford a new car, of which we had probably among if not the newest car stock compared to many of our european neighbours anyway, but a short term decision was made and cars that may not have been suited for their owners use have been sold/bought which will not last as long as the method to reduce emissions as I have suggested.

Anyway, I think its time to harmonise motor tax, no increases for those that bought new and a reduction for older cars that meet emission levels, and if you are better off under the old rate you can choose to stay put at that level, how much would that cost the country, I dont think that much, but people would spending it/be putting it back into the economy anyway, at least that would help fund all the taxes on the side through VAT.

There is never an option to reduce taxes, bar the recent suggestion of reducing LPT, its the first time Ive ever come across it, but if there can be an effort made to reduce the cost of something, then I think people will have disposable funds where they will either spend it, try pay off other debts or just not be in the red/black so much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

. So were broke

By European let alone International standards, no, we're not.

You are attempting to remove valid comparisons just to have a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Whatever about the stupid disparity in prices between an 07/08. What about people who need a car but barely ever use it?

I do 3k a year yet pay the same amount as someone doing 60k in the same car. The lack of fairness and logic in the system is astounding.

• Advertisement

You're saying that we have similar income and tax systems to certain more northern european countries, there was an article in the Independant the other day saying around the higher tax rate, suggesting we are not similar at all.

You're saying that we have similar income and tax systems to certain more northern european countries, there was an article in the Independant the other day saying around the higher tax rate, suggesting we are not similar at all.

The Indo is a rag. Are you seriously trying to suggest we're more similar to Greece than the Netherlands?

The Indo is a rag. Are you seriously trying to suggest we're more similar to Greece than the Netherlands?

The Indo is a rag, yes, that's not in question. What they were showing and comparing are actual rates and values of were the higher tax rate kicks in for countries, mostly in Europe, compared to us, we dont come near to being similar as you put it, I think thats one example but the same for more.
    I dont think they showed Greece, but they did show the Netherlands, France, UK,

The Indo is a rag, yes, that's not in question. What they were showing and comparing are actual rates and values of were the higher tax rate kicks in for countries, mostly in Europe, compared to us, we dont come near to being similar as you put it, I think thats one example but the same for more.
    I dont think they showed Greece, but they did show the Netherlands, France, UK,

They will have deliberately selected what to compare to to make a story out of nothing in the first place. However, even a rag realises when a comparison (like comparing us to Spain or Greece) is indefendably bad.

They will have deliberately selected what to compare to to make a story out of nothing in the first place. However, even a rag realises when a comparison (like comparing us to Spain or Greece) is indefendably bad.

While Ive reached the point where, when I read anything from the Independant, that Im automatically suspicious of what the agenda is, even if I dont see it till after Ive mulled it over for a while, its better than some of the other papers and it gives an insight into the kind of things a certain ilk are trying to peddle in ideas.
    Still, they didnt compare us to spain or greece though, it doesnt really answer the idea that we aren't similar regarding certain things like income tax (and indirect taxation) where we have a much lower entry level into the higher rate than other countries some of which you suggest we are much more similar to, when we are not in so many ways.
    I dont know what different rates are like in Spain, Greece or Italy.
    Its not that I imagine everything is better everywhere else, but Id say its more rare there is an advantage here over similar costs.
    Its not realistic to be compared to just The Netherlands or Finland in terms of motor tax or anything.
    Im still not sure what the benefit of them printing this article is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement