Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tax in Ireland? We're mugs!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Surely they're not going to up it again in the budget?

Is there anything left to squeeze out of the Motorist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Jesus. wrote: »
    Surely they're not going to up it again in the budget?

Is there anything left to squeeze out of the Motorist?

LOOK!... Jesus has risen!...

And he has brought back a thread from 2010 with him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I still don't get the lads driving round in 02 BMWs, surely the road tax must be killing them. Get something small and nippy and cheap. I can't imagine a bird is impressed with an 11 year old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Chances are some of them are neither taxed or insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Bepolite wrote: »
    Get something small and nippy and cheap.

Thst will really impress the ladies...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Thst will really impress the ladies...

Some nice small cars out there will pulling power. Failing that gifts with the savings or alternatively hookers :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Compared to the Netherlands, Motor Tax in Ireland is much cheaper.

Germany is cheaper but take 52% including your mandatory private health from your gross pay into account.

I don't get this "The roads in the UK are better" to me they were shíte, poorly laid out, road works all over the place, parking issues and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Bepolite wrote: »
    Some nice small cars out there will pulling power. Failing that gifts with the savings or alternatively hookers :pac:

no difference paying hookers or road tax, you leave feeling fcuked either way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Compared to the Netherlands, Motor Tax in Ireland is much cheaper.

Germany is cheaper but take 52% including your mandatory private health from your gross pay into account.

I don't get this "The roads in the UK are better" to me they were shíte, poorly laid out, road works all over the place, parking issues and so on.

For any single aspect of our taxation system, there are another countries that have it worse. However, very few layer taxes upon taxes the way we do in this country.

Do the Netherlands or Germany have total motoring taxes that equal our VRT & VAT, our motor tax, and road tolls, NCT?

I find our roads are about the same as in the UK. The major motorways/roads are generally very good in both, the minor roads and urban areas are a mess. British roads are busier, but then ours would be too if our workforce hadn't been decimated.

German direct taxation is higher. However, add on indirect taxation and charges (we're good at those). Take into account that the health system in Germany is a lot better than here, leading a lot of Irish to buy health insurance. The German pension system is far better, meaning people don't need quite as much to be put into private pensions.

If I work an hour's overtime tomorrow in this country, it'll be taxed at 52%. I would say the overall differences in taxes & charges are minor. I'd love to see the figures once we factor in home tax and water charges. But the Germans get a far better deal overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

animaal wrote: »
    Do the Netherlands or Germany have total motoring taxes that equal our VRT & VAT, our motor tax, and road tolls, NCT? .

Netherlands VRT equivalent is higher than ours. A quick google suggests their vat rate is 21%. Fuel is dearer iirc. Everyone has an NCT equivalent. Their motor tax equivalent is higher too iirc. There are a couple of posters in the motors forum living in the Netherlands, I'm sure theyd be happy to give you the figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

TO answer the OP question from 2010, yes, you can bet your ass that road tax will increase . . It will every year until we are out of this mess (if ever).

And you can say the same thing about most things that are easy to raise and will not have people out of jobs or on the streets protesting. Irish governments love nothing better then to go after the easiest money and road tax is a no brainer every year . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Netherlands VRT equivalent is higher than ours. A quick google suggests their vat rate is 21%. Fuel is dearer iirc. Everyone has an NCT equivalent. Their motor tax equivalent is higher too iirc. There are a couple of posters in the motors forum living in the Netherlands, I'm sure theyd be happy to give you the figures.

Does their VRT apply for a car coming from within the EU? I though Ireland was the only country that was doing that.

Does their VRT apply for a car coming from within the EU? I though Ireland was the only country that was doing that.

Yes ... and Finland is the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

From what I googled, it appears to suggest it is to support the infrastructure
    whereas here, appears to go into a black hole

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nowhere close to the only - one of the many lies made up about VRT here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Oltian

see issue is in this country, that as a society we are push overs, while other countries promote development and progression and general increasing of live standards, we hinder those who want to achieve, and have a tax system that basically follows a "**** you approach"

Just to relate back to the comments from a while ago, "its your fault you got a 3 litre" why shouldnt we be able to buy things that we want? why do we continuously bend over for this country and put up with this bull****....

The country will never for me be a place i want to live in, and i know there are many like me that want to emigrate cause they are fed up of being raped for something they had no part in....

I personally wasn't responsible for the economic crash, ive never used social welfare services even when i was unemployed for a year, so why is it that we should put up with carrying the degenerate low lifes who have never worked a day in their life but want everything for free (not including genuine people who have found themselves in a hard spot in that comment)

Were too soft!!! Thats what it comes down to, as a culture, we bitch and moan for a while, only to then say "ahh sure **** it"

We are the government!!! if we say no as a unit, theres nothing that they can do about it!

Oltian wrote: »
    see issue is in this country, that as a society we are push overs, while other countries promote development and progression and general increasing of live standards, we hinder those who want to achieve, and have a tax system that basically follows a "**** you approach"

Just to relate back to the comments from a while ago, "its your fault you got a 3 litre" why shouldnt we be able to buy things that we want? why do we continuously bend over for this country and put up with this bull****....

The country will never for me be a place i want to live in, and i know there are many like me that want to emigrate cause they are fed up of being raped for something they had no part in....

I personally wasn't responsible for the economic crash, ive never used social welfare services even when i was unemployed for a year, so why is it that we should put up with carrying the degenerate low lifes who have never worked a day in their life but want everything for free (not including genuine people who have found themselves in a hard spot in that comment)

Were too soft!!! Thats what it comes down to, as a culture, we bitch and moan for a while, only to then say "ahh sure **** it"

We are the government!!! if we say no as a unit, theres nothing that they can do about it!

My Motor Tax here in Holland is 366 / quarter on a 2 Liter Diesel.

We can swap if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Oltian

looks like your getting screwed just as hard as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

And similar in Belgium

And Rate G (Over 255g/km??) is over €3500:eek: a year here in Belgium, plus you pay a local tax on your car.

My Motor Tax here in Holland is 366 / quarter on a 2 Liter Diesel.

We can swap if you like.

Do you have a link? I cant find that
    Mylow wrote: »
    And similar in Belgium

And Rate G (Over 255g/km??) is over €3500:eek: a year here in Belgium, plus you pay a local tax on your car.

How many vehicles are over 255g/km? so what are their rates for cars normally driven?
    Yes ... and Finland is the same

But what are their rates on this?

I began to think about this recently myself.
    Rates for newer diesels motor tax, reduced to encourage spending on cars, but because they have low emissions of co2 in g/km in comparison to petrols.
    On the basis of an environmental decision (right), then wouldnt it be reasonable to expect them to reduce motor tax on older vehicles with simialr co2 g/km emissions? The decision maker/s seem to have stuck their oar in for a short term gain and **** up the car market on availability of vehicles which worse affects those less able to afford a newer replacement which has lower emissions.
    What price are 06/07 diesels going for or cars even going back further that have low emissions? or petrols from 08 on?
    People that bought newer cars shouldnt have to experience a large increase as they bought on the basis of reduced motor tax (however well that actually suits them, re fuel consumption and cost of paying back a vehicle compared to the motor tax).
    But how many older diesels could they reduce motor tax on? they must know, the savings would be massive for ordinary people, but a marginal loss given they are fcucking is in every other conceivable way, and money which people would just put back into the economy to spend anyway.
    From an environmental point of view (which was never the concern) writing off the viability of good cars that have not much worse emissions compared to diesels post 07, and probably similar or better real world consumption figures is crazy, as its an entire car that has to be constructed emitting co2 at every step of the manufacturing process of that new car, so whens the payoff in co2 terms, probably at the end of the cars life, be better to just incentivise people to keep cars rather than replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭countrynosebag

Danno
    We took what we could get, what we could afford. We gave an old 2 up and 2 down.
    It is cold and damp, but a home. We are pensioners, one disabled. One bedroom is a makeshift bathroom. The kitchen is a damp lean to. We gave a fire in the one room to heat the whole house. No mansion, no roads especially built. All there for 100 years or so to our certain knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Maybe it's time to compare motor tax to the cheapest EU rates, not to the dearest ones. :p

joujoujou wrote: »
    Maybe it's time to compare motor tax to the cheapest EU rates, not to the dearest ones. :p

exactly, but not for the laugh, more because its not an even comparison to compare us to Finland, The Netherlands or countries like them.
    More like Portugal, Greece, Spain, Italy.

cerastes wrote: »
    Do you have a link? I cant find that

How many vehicles are over 255g/km? so what are their rates for cars normally driven?

But what are their rates on this?

I began to think about this recently myself.
    Rates for newer diesels motor tax, reduced to encourage spending on cars, but because they have low emissions of co2 in g/km in comparison to petrols.
    On the basis of an environmental decision (right), then wouldnt it be reasonable to expect them to reduce motor tax on older vehicles with simialr co2 g/km emissions? The decision maker/s seem to have stuck their oar in for a short term gain and **** up the car market on availability of vehicles which worse affects those less able to afford a newer replacement which has lower emissions.
    What price are 06/07 diesels going for or cars even going back further that have low emissions? or petrols from 08 on?
    People that bought newer cars shouldnt have to experience a large increase as they bought on the basis of reduced motor tax (however well that actually suits them, re fuel consumption and cost of paying back a vehicle compared to the motor tax).
    But how many older diesels could they reduce motor tax on? they must know, the savings would be massive for ordinary people, but a marginal loss given they are fcucking is in every other conceivable way, and money which people would just put back into the economy to spend anyway.
    From an environmental point of view (which was never the concern) writing off the viability of good cars that have not much worse emissions compared to diesels post 07, and probably similar or better real world consumption figures is crazy, as its an entire car that has to be constructed emitting co2 at every step of the manufacturing process of that new car, so whens the payoff in co2 terms, probably at the end of the cars life, be better to just incentivise people to keep cars rather than replace them.

http://www.belastingdienst.nl/rekenhulpen/motorrijtuigenbelasting/

I have the bill hanging on the fridge at home.

http://www.belastingdienst.nl/rekenhulpen/motorrijtuigenbelasting/

I have the bill hanging on the fridge at home.

Im not saying its not true, I think we should be compared more to the countries I mentioned than the other ones mentioned here.

Also, why do you leave that on the fridge??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

cerastes wrote: »
    Im not saying its not true, I think we should be compared more to the countries I mentioned than the other ones mentioned here.

Also, why do you leave that on the fridge??

Your saying you want to ignore comparisons you don't like, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

joujoujou wrote: »

a straight comparison on motor tax isnt valid. You need to include other costs like excise duty and registration taxes into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

All motorways are tolled and cost about 20 cent per km to drive on. The side roads are messy, full of traffic lights and badly signposted so a stranger has little choice but to used the motorways.

In Austria they have a motorway toll sticker 10 days for €8.50 for tourists or a €120 fine........plus an extra €10 to traverse a tunnel on one route.

Germany has no tolls as far as I can see but you dont get to pay road tax on a hire car so I wouldn'y know. Car Hire is cheaper than Italy.

Roads in all countries much better than Ireland and better than parts of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Beano wrote: »
    a straight comparison on motor tax isnt valid. You need to include other costs like excise duty and registration taxes into the equation.
    I did not start entire comparison thing here. :p

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Your saying you want to ignore comparisons you don't like, that's all.

Im saying compare to all, in the context of this not being motors but rip off ireland, I think a comparison to the level, cost and quality of services to countries similar to ours, not just potentially some of the best ones, The Netherlands and Finland.

As for the tax on the fridge, yes I would like to not think about it after being ripped off by seeing it daily on the fridge :)

Advertisement