Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road tax in Ireland? We're mugs!

Options
  • 28-02-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

My road tax is up for renewal tomorrow.
    06 VW passat 2.0TDI.
    We pay way over the odds in road tax compared to the 6 counties, but my biggest gripe, is that apparently our fees don't go to the upkeep of our roads!
    Oh no, staight into the hands of Mr Exchequer it goes???
    Apparently every Co Council is resonsible for the upkeep of their own roads, and our hefty yearly payments don't contribute directlyto them!
    This, coupled with the rediculous prices one has to pay to see a Dr in this country, coupled with the tax we pay on Booze and Fags, electrical goods and dnt even get me started on VRT!!!
    How, can this country claim to be on it's knees financially?
    Just a hunch, but I reckon Biffo and his Buffoons would tax the air we breathe, should they find a method of doing so!
    We must look like a country full of moneygrabbing thieves to some European countries!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

The problem is not too much tax it's the wrong types of taxes and the number of people outside the tax base not to mention the waste of the money once it's collected.

As for road tax you could pay less but then like most other EU countries the tax take on fuel would increase

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lordnoah

And what annoys me about car tax is, I spend approx €600 taxing my 2006 car and if I have the very same car, 2 years newer with the same emissions, the tax would be approx €300.

How is that fair? What has it got to do with emissions? Why are there 2 tax rates on the same car? Why are they favouring people with the money to buy newer cars?

And this government system has also ruined the resale value of my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The problem is, its not called Road Tax, but Motor Tax. This exonerates all the money collected going to the upkeep of the roads we use. I think Motor Tax goes to the local councils eho can use it for whatever is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Maybe instead of paying the amount requested by your local CoCo. pay the northern Ireland price for diesel - currently €1.36

Also, if you were to purchase a new car of same style / engine size, the car tax would be €154 - CHEAPER than Northern Ireland + CHEAPER fuel!

Surely the northerners must feel ripped off when they look at the new motoring costs down south!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

91011 wrote: »
    Maybe instead of paying the amount requested by your local CoCo. pay the northern Ireland price for diesel - currently €1.36

Also, if you were to purchase a new car of same style / engine size, the car tax would be €154 - CHEAPER than Northern Ireland + CHEAPER fuel!

Surely the northerners must feel ripped off when they look at the new motoring costs down south!

What a ridiculous answer!

Price of a new Golf in the North. £14.800 (from prices of and higher) Roughly €17000 or so.
    Price of New Golf in South FROM €21k (so we have paid 4k more than them before our @rses get to sit in the seats!) Coupled with the higher road tax would make us WAY more out of pocket than them!!!

I doubt drivers in the north feel ripped off verses us.

Ever!

Or maybe I'm being naive, maybe we dont have to pay through the nose for everything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Ps.

Are we to be penalised because we cant afford the brand new motors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Gucky wrote: »

Price of a new Golf in the North. £14.800 (from prices of and higher) Roughly €17000 or so.
    Price of New Golf in South FROM €21k (so we have paid 4k more than them before our @rses get to sit in the seats!) Coupled with the higher road tax would make us WAY more out of pocket than them!!!!

Price of New Golf in South is from €18,850
    Price of new golf in UK is from £15.885 (about €17,200)

Motor tax - UK from £125. Ireland from €154

Fuel - UK petrol £1.19 Diesel £1.19
    Ireland petrol €1.25. Diesel €1.15

Of course there's nothing stopping anyone moving to the UK, but that would entail lower pay for your job, lower social welfare, higher taxes, water charges & council taxes.

Let me pay an extra few bob for motor tax ANY day. - I speak from experience having lived in the UK for 8 years! - Your NET pay after paying all taxes & charges is feck all on a £35,000 salary ( less than £18,000 4 years ago). A move to Ireland gave me a salary of just under €50,000 for effectively the same job and a 40% increased take home pay, much shorter travelling times, less traffic jams, and a hell of a better lifestyle.

Try it - the grass is NOT greener on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lordnoah wrote: »
    And what annoys me about car tax is, I spend approx €600 taxing my 2006 car and if I have the very same car, 2 years newer with the same emissions, the tax would be approx €300.

How is that fair? What has it got to do with emissions? Why are there 2 tax rates on the same car? Why are they favouring people with the money to buy newer cars?

And this government system has also ruined the resale value of my car.

If you had an 06 petrol that costs €580 to tax and they told you tomorrow they are applying the new rates to your car and it's now going to be €2k to tax based on Co2, woudl that be fair? Or is ist only not fair because it effects you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The problem is, its not called Road Tax, but Motor Tax. This exonerates all the money collected going to the upkeep of the roads we use. I think Motor Tax goes to the local councils eho can use it for whatever is needed

People in the UK complain about road-tax not all being spent on the roads, so we share that in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Price of a new Golf in the North...

Or maybe I'm being naive, maybe we dont have to pay through the nose for everything!

Maybe if you read the point made by the OP! The issue raised was Motor Tax NOT car prices!.

And yes, you are being somewhat naive. Many aspects of motoring are dearer in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

yes.. you pay your very high road tax here in this country and what do you get.. crap roads full of potholes that buckle your wheels and damage your steering / suspension.. loose stones causing a multitude of stones chips, cracked windscreens and headlights.. it's a disgrace :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭fartmaster

06 VW passat 2.0TDI.
    We pay way over the odds in road tax compared to the 6 counties, but my biggest gripe, is that apparently our fees don't go to the upkeep of our roads!
    Oh no, staight into the hands of Mr Exchequer it goes???
    Apparently every Co Council is resonsible for the upkeep of their own roads, and our hefty yearly payments don't contribute directlyto them!
    This, coupled with the rediculous prices one has to pay to see a Dr in this country, coupled with the tax we pay on Booze and Fags, electrical goods and dnt even get me started on VRT!!!
    How, can this country claim to be on it's knees financially?
    Just a hunch, but I reckon Biffo and his Buffoons would tax the air we breathe, should they find a method of doing so!
    We must look like a country full of moneygrabbing thieves to some European countries!

Im not bothered by the amount of tax I pay in relation to cars etc im much more bothered were the fook this money actually goes............down the Fianna Fail black hole that is Cowen fat arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭pieface_ie

the country is a kip,run by a pack of apes,who mostly are only intrested in lining there own pockets.

Roads are in ****e order,do more damage to your car than anything else,all the money the councils make from pay parking,i wonder where it goes.

everyone is out to nail your money in this country.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

First off, you don't pay road tax, you pay motor tax. Second, I don't see the link between motor tax, the cost of seeing a doctor, or what either of them have to do with paying tax on cigarettes, alcohol and electrical goods (I wasn't aware of a specific tax on electrical goods, apart from VAT).

I don't see any ripoff here, only a rant filled with many inaccuracies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CamperMan wrote: »
    yes.. you pay your very high road tax here in this country and what do you get.. crap roads full of potholes that buckle your wheels and damage your steering / suspension.. loose stones causing a multitude of stones chips, cracked windscreens and headlights.. it's a disgrace :mad:

You seem very passionate and informed on this matter. Can you show me anywhere the Govt. refers to the collection of "road tax" and its purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ejmaztec wrote: »
    People in the UK complain about road-tax not all being spent on the roads, so we share that in common.

Ha - if they came to Ireland and had a drive around our major towns and cities they would NEVER complain about the state of Britain's roads again. The roads in the UK are on the whole excellent.

I live in a major town in the east of Ireland and I have to avoid nearly 20 potholes (most of them major; several would buckle your wheel if you have alloys and drove over them at the speed limit) driving from my house the 3 miles into the town centre. This is the main Dublin-Belfast road, not a country backroad.

Anyway, that's irrelevent - this thread is about road tax cost. It can't be justified, it's not fair but unfortunately the government will continue to rape our wallets because the Irish, ah sure, we'll just lie back and take it. We'd rather whinge and p1ss and moan on the internet than organise a demonstration or a mass refusal to pay motor tax :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Our forefathers who found to give this country independence must be rolling in their graves at what we have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭joeswatch

nipplenuts wrote: »
    You seem very passionate and informed on this matter. Can you show me anywhere the Govt. refers to the collection of "road tax" and its purpose?

Try the Central Statistics Office (Goverment?) where they mention road tax and not motor tax

http://www.cso.ie/px/pxeirestat/Dialog/Footnote.asp?File=TEA07.px&path=../DATABASE/Eirestat/Vehicle%20Licensing%20Statistics%20Annual%20Series/&ti=Other+Vehicles+Licensed+for+the+First+Time+by++Vehicle+Make%2C+Road+Tax+Class%2C+Licensing+Authority%2C+Year+and+Statistic&lang=1&ansi=1&noofvar=5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Link

'Tax rises hit British motorists harder than rest of Europe
    British drivers have been hit with higher tax rises up to five times higher than their counterparts in the rest of western Europe since the end of the credit crunch, according to research by the AA.'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your Motor Tax is up for renewel, yuou don't pay road tax
    ejmaztec wrote: »

What is it we have in common?
    The fact some people don't understand what tax they actually pay?
    Motor tax not road tax
    joeswatch wrote: »

A mistake by the CSO?
    Its refered to as Motor tax here https://www.motortax.ie

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your Motor Tax is up for renewel, yuou don't pay road tax

What is it we have in common?
    The fact some people don't understand what tax they actually pay?
    Motor tax not road tax

A mistake by the CSO?
    Its refered to as Motor tax here https://www.motortax.ie

Whatever name they decide to call it, the roads are still sh1te.

My apologies for being born and brought up in the UK, and using inaccurate terminology. Somewhere, once upon a time, I think that it was also referred to as "Road Fund Licence".

After initially being introduced to fund roads, the name of this "charge" eventually became Motor Tax, just to prevent anyone from taking the State to court in a campaign to get more funding for roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Price of New Golf in South is from €18,850
    Price of new golf in UK is from £15.885 (about €17,200)

Motor tax - UK from £125. Ireland from €154

Fuel - UK petrol £1.19 Diesel £1.19
    Ireland petrol €1.25. Diesel €1.15

Of course there's nothing stopping anyone moving to the UK, but that would entail lower pay for your job, lower social welfare, higher taxes, water charges & council taxes.

Let me pay an extra few bob for motor tax ANY day. - I speak from experience having lived in the UK for 8 years! - Your NET pay after paying all taxes & charges is feck all on a £35,000 salary ( less than £18,000 4 years ago). A move to Ireland gave me a salary of just under €50,000 for effectively the same job and a 40% increased take home pay, much shorter travelling times, less traffic jams, and a hell of a better lifestyle.

Try it - the grass is NOT greener on the other side.

Just don't get ILL........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Problem with the roads is there are too many of them in Ireland. Everyone wanted to build a house miles away out in the sticks and expects city-quality roads to their oversized thoughtless designed palace. Now everyone has to pay high motor tax to fund these roads.

Danno wrote: »
    Problem with the roads is there are too many of them in Ireland. Everyone wanted to build a house miles away out in the sticks and expects city-quality roads to their oversized thoughtless designed palace. Now everyone has to pay high motor tax to fund these roads.

Motor Tax was always high here, and road repairs were never efficient.

Shovelling a bit of asphalt into a pothole and driving the wheels of a truck backwards and forwards over it a couple of times still seems to be the preferred method. This is also normally done in the rain, so that it gets washed out again afterwards. Laughable:eek:

It was unfortunate that the Romans never came here after they showed the Ancient Britons how to build roads.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

eth0_ wrote: »
    Ha - if they came to Ireland and had a drive around our major towns and cities they would NEVER complain about the state of Britain's roads again. The roads in the UK are on the whole excellent.

I live in a major town in the east of Ireland and I have to avoid nearly 20 potholes (most of them major; several would buckle your wheel if you have alloys and drove over them at the speed limit) driving from my house the 3 miles into the town centre. This is the main Dublin-Belfast road, not a country backroad.

Anyway, that's irrelevent - this thread is about road tax cost. It can't be justified, it's not fair but unfortunately the government will continue to rape our wallets because the Irish, ah sure, we'll just lie back and take it. We'd rather whinge and p1ss and moan on the internet than organise a demonstration or a mass refusal to pay motor tax :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Our forefathers who found to give this country independence must be rolling in their graves at what we have become.

Google maps has extended to the whole of the North now. If you go to the old A1 / N1 border, the difference in the quality of the roads between North and South is visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭pah

Having imported 2 of our last 3 cars from the UK I can say with a certain degree of confidence that neither of those cars knew what a pothole was before they rolled off the ferry onto this fair isle.

Having spent a good bit of time in the UK I can say their standard of roads is way better than ours. Now I didn't spend much time in the countryside there but the problem here is the state of what are classed as our "main roads", such as Fermoy - Mallow which is ****e. Only a couple of weeks ago I buckled my alloy in a suburban area of blarney in cork which is by no means in the schtiks. about 50 kph I hit an absolute CRATER.

104532.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭bog master

I cannot see how anyone feels it is not a Road Tax.

Paddy the farmer can buy a brand new Jeep, and use it only in his yard and fields and as long as he does not drive it on a public road, then he pays no Road/Motor Tax.

Bob the Builder has a JCB, he can use that on site and as long as he does not use a public road, then he pays no Road/Motor Tax.

If I was stupid and rich enough, I can buy a new car and if it never leaves my yard, then no Road/Motor Tax.

This tax is for using the motor on a public road, hence it is a Road Tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Motor Tax , Road Tax it doesn't matter what you call it and getting hung up on that is a mute point.

I do think the comparisons with UK roads is a little unfair given the UK's larger source of motor/road tax income. That said if you ask me are we getting value for money for what tax we pay I would have to say no . The state of some the major roads including newly built ones in this country is a terrible.

For example look at the newly built Naas Road in Kildare, it's great much better than the old one but every time it rains a large portion of the road near Kill floods reducing 3 lanes down to 2 or 1. This has being going on for the last 2 years and seemingly nothing has been done to fix it. The contractors who built the road should be held accountable and made fix the Road. This is just one example , I'm sure there are many more though around the country .. so as far as value for money is concerned we are most defiantly being ripped off.

But to be honest what gets at me more is the additional motor/road tax that poorer members of society have to pay.

For example my annual road tax for my Mondeo is 551 Euro , not everybody who pays road tax can afford the one off payment and on a similar car to mine may pay an extra 69 euro in a year if they can only afford to pay quarterly. I could understand an small additional cost for admin fees but does it warrant 69 euro, I think not. In affect law abiding citizens who can't afford the annual fee pay extra tax, this is grossly unfair.

It's been pointed out that owners cars of the same make and model but of different years face different tax rates. Again If you can't afford to update your car this amounts to an extra tax, this is grossly unfair.

But in the end what will we do about it all.... nothing because we let the government walk all over us and this is why the country is in the sorry state it's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I live in the north and am moving to the south with a new job. Insurance went from £480 to €950.

Also the car is a 320d but because it is 2007 the car is taxed on engine CC so €614 instead of €156. :(

The car's resale value will be hugely affected also as a car that is a few months younger will attract the lesser tax rate.

"Cars First Registered Outside Ireland
    A private car first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008 will be taxed on engine
    size (cc). The new CO2 based system does not apply to second-hand imports that were
    registered abroad prior to 2008.

A private car first registered abroad between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008
    inclusive and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on whichever is the lesser
    of the motor tax rates based engine (cc) or CO2 emissions."

Why can I not pay the lower tax rate as it is a low CO2 car?

I am now considering changing car because of this :(

What would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

@vintagevrs - I'm not sure if you have registered your car in the south but if you have not and your job/stay in the Republic is a temporary one that is less than 12 month you do not have to register it. In think but I'm not 100% sure you won't need to pay Road/Motor tax in the south as they car is not registered here.

" http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland "

" http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt2.html "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    @vintagevrs - I'm not sure if you have registered your car in the south but if you have not and your job/stay in the Republic is a temporary one that is less than 12 month you do not have to register it. In think but I'm not 100% sure you won't need to pay Road/Motor tax in the south as they car is not registered here.

" http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland "

" http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt2.html "

Hey,

Yeah thanks for this but if I am going to live in the south then I will need to register the car. Just a pain because if the car was three months younger it would be worth a lot more when it comes time to sell. Hopefully this tax law will be reviewed before I sell

Advertisement