Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Atlantis on the move again. Tow back to the OPF has begun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

BULLER wrote: »
    Because they want to go explore the solar system rather than operate an expensive LEO vehicle... Is it over half a billion euro for each shuttle launch?!

Hi Buller,
    Really it is the retirement of the fleet long before America has a replacement Vechicle that is the problem.The cost of the Programme gets claw backs in an awful lot of ways.

Workers pay tax,patents bring money back,Hugh amount of small buisness right down to Pizza delivery workers that also pay tax are kept in work.

Engineers will lose their jobs whose skill and experiance over many years will be irreplacable.

I just watched the post flight news conference.

It was the best i have ever seen.
    Intelligant questions by all reporters and very frank replies by NASA Management.

I think America will rue this day.

also a hugh amount of money has been spent on two recent unmanned Military test crafts with very sinister motives behind them.

The money is still being spent but peaceful exploration of outer Space is all but abandoned by the US now:(

lord lucan wrote: »
    Atlantis on the move again. Tow back to the OPF has begun.

Hi LL during the long but tie up all the lose ends post flight news conference {not on Youtube yet that i could find} Management said processing of Atlantis for LON begins tonight!:)

Some pics of Atlantis tow back to the OPS.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229391;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229411;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229413;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229425;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229437;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229445;image

ynotdu wrote: »
    Hi LL during the long but tie up all the lose ends post flight news conference {not on Youtube yet that i could find} Management said processing of Atlantis for LON begins tonight!:)

Yeah but i ain't holding my breath. That's standard procedure for the orbiter. At least she'll look great and be fully serviced in the Museum.:)

• Advertisement

Yeah but i ain't holding my breath. That's standard procedure for the orbiter. At least she'll look great and be fully serviced in the Museum.:)

Lol LL,I ain't holding My breath yet either:)

You know there is a crew press conference due up? Not showing a time yet.

I am treating this as My last ever STS mission on boards as i am sure to be Sitebanned by the Autumn when i make sorte's into other forums between now and then!:)

Certainly I would never attempt again that We fully document a Shuttle mission!!!!!!:)

Lol LL,I ain't holding My breath yet either:)

You know there is a crew press conference due up? Not showing a time yet.

I am treating this as My last ever STS mission on boards as i am sure to be Sitebanned by the Autumn when i make sorte's into other forums between now and then!:)

Certainly I would never attempt again that We fully document a Shuttle mission!!!!!!:)

Still waiting for the crew conference. At the moment there's talk of STS-133 being pushed back until November so we may have quite a wait ahead of us.:(

Atlantis almost at the OPF now.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229482;image

Still waiting for the crew conference. At the moment there's talk of STS-133 being pushed back until November so we may have quite a wait ahead of us.:(

Death by a thousand cuts since Obama commissioned the Augustine report.

They should either bring it to the vet to be put down,or else Me!:)

Atlantis back at the OPF where she can get tucked into bed and have a good sleep!:):)

IMG_20100526_144227.jpg

IMG_20100526_144200.jpg

• Advertisement

Another great shot from Soichi:http://twitpic.com/1r7do6

Atlantis back at the OPF where she can get tucked into bed and have a good sleep!:):)

IMG_20100526_144227.jpg

IMG_20100526_144200.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Crew news conference now over and NASA TV announced that is the end of Live coverage of 132, Phewwwwwwwwwwwww:D

Crew news conference now over and NASA TV announced that is the end of Live coverage of 132, Phewwwwwwwwwwwww:D

:(:(:(:(:(

Thar She goes,headin to yar bed LL{the real pics folks:p:)index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229532;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229527;image

and one final picture of Atlantis streking through the Earths atmosphere today during re-entry!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229529;image

Thar She goes,headin to yar bed LL{the real pics folks:p:)

I'll tuck her in with a hot water bottle and a bedtime story.;)

I'm shuttled out right now so i think i'll call it a day. Thanks Ynotdu for the company,kinda strange without Beeker and Stargate here.

I'll tuck her in with a hot water bottle and a bedtime story.;)

I would recommend You read around the world in 80 days!:)

I'm shuttled out right now so i think i'll call it a day. Thanks Ynotdu for the company,kinda strange without Beeker and Stargate here.

+ 100,000,000 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It's deeply saddening to think economics is getting in the way of exploration and yes, it's unsettling to think about the x-37 "replacement" and what it's proposed job is. Thanks all for the extended coverage!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Great job on the landing coverage lads, just finished reading through it:D
    When I saw the pictures of the Shuttle in LL's bed I thought it was one of my dreams come true:D:D:eek::eek::D:D

Did not get to see the landing live but picked it up on sky news during the afternoon when I got a chance. Had a rough week with a lot of travel and limited access to the internet. Thanks for the coverage and sweet dreams to Atlantis:)

Beeker wrote: »
    Great job on the landing coverage lads, just finished reading through it:D
    When I saw the pictures of the Shuttle in LL's bed I thought it was one of my dreams come true:D:D:eek::eek::D:D

Did not get to see the landing live but picked it up on sky news during the afternoon when I got a chance. Had a rough week with a lot of travel and limited access to the internet. Thanks for the coverage and sweet dreams to Atlantis:)

Admit it Beeker You just sat back and let others do all the hard work while you watched the whole lot on a computer connected to a giant screen:mad::) {seriously You were badly missed hope all is well}

I have been working on how to keep You and LL posting during the gap!

I will open a 2nd account and in the CT forum will prove that the STS programme was a hoax and fully document it.

I will also start a thread entitled Carl Sagan had an IQ of 22:p

For LL i will start a thread entitled baseball is for wooseys:)

and Michael Schumacher was/is overated!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

will open a 2nd account and in the CT forum will prove that the STS programme was a hoax and fully document it.

Do it.

For LL i will start a thread entitled baseball is for wooseys:)

and Michael Schumacher was/is overated!:p

Threads like that will definitely keep us busy over the next few months!:p:p

Looks like Senator Nelson isn't giving up on STS-135.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2010/05/nelson-begins-f.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I will open a 2nd account and in the CT forum will prove that the STS programme was a hoax and fully document it.

Yeah that would get me started alright:D

All is well here but my Dad had heart surgery in Dublin over the weekend and a relative of ours died in Galway, so I have been back and forth non stop for the last few days. As a result I have been away from the world of the internet for the most part. Things getting back to normal at last:)

Atlantis charges to the OPF!:D:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229664;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229666;image

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21764.0;attach=229668;image

You can never have too much Atlantis!:cool:

Beeker wrote: »
    Yeah that would get me started alright:D

All is well here but my Dad had heart surgery in Dublin over the weekend and a relative of ours died in Galway, so I have been back and forth non stop for the last few days. As a result I have been away from the world of the internet for the most part. Things getting back to normal at last:)

Holy Jaysus Beeker,you've done nearly as many miles as Atlantis!!:eek:

Hope your Dad's ok,and sorry to hear about your relative.

I was doing a bit of thinking today about the remainder of the programme. I reckon this is Atlantis' last flight. My reasoning being that even if STS-135 got a green light for Atlantis that would mean you'd have Atlantis' crew in the OPF turning her around after this flight and then effectively scratching for many months. They've hinted that STS-133 will slip to late november. With that i reckon they could get Discovery home,turned around and ready for LON for STS-134 at some stage early next year. Assuming STS-134 gets away with no problems they could then use Discovery for STS-135 in the summer of next year.

In that scenario Atlantis returns home this week and is effectively safed and readied for a museum by her OPF crew and then they'd be let go in late summer sometime. That'd leave Discovery and Endeavour to see out the programme.

That's how i see it panning out. They don't need Atlantis as LON for either of the remaining flights so they'll figure why keep her and all the staff on the payroll when there's no need. I don't expect we'll hear anything about this for a while yet,the next launch is a long time away now.

Following on from my thoughts a couple of days ago about Atlantis' future,it appears that my sad vision may becoming reality. This quote from a guy who works at KSC seems to run along the lines of what i think may happen.

"On a side note I am not sure what is going to be done with 104 now. Very odd thing is that on the OPF morning long term schedules that come every day nothing has shown up for 104 yet. Usually it appears about a week before roll in. I also heard on the runway from a friend in the program office here there is serious consideration to never flying 104 again, LON or not. Because of the upcoming schedule slips 103 could fly and be prepared for the LON with no problems. There are some OMDP requirements for 104 that unless waived would make it difficult to complete for another flight, contingency or not. This decision is supposed to be made in the very near future. If it happens 104 will start processing for going to a museum."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Mr. Obama, we have a problem.

Advertisement