Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Beeker wrote: »
    September then November and then we go with the Soyuz:)

OH so "My little Soyuz" will be good enough for Mrs Lucan and Mrs Beeker then huh?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Will we be able to see Atlantis later on this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

September then November and then we go with the Soyuz:)

Or NASA Shuttle dvd's of every launch.;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

fifilarue wrote: »
    Will we be able to see Atlantis later on this evening?
    Afraid not:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    OH so "My little Soyuz" will be good enough for Mrs Lucan and Mrs Beeker then huh?:p
    :D:DAny port in a storm:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

NEEOOM. Great launch.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Or NASA Shuttle dvd's of every launch.;)

I wonder will thecommnder and sept1981 be on as high a cloud as you were LL,Jeepers you were buzzing for month!:)

Watching the replays and i know You can never be sure but unlike some previous flights i could not see a single piece of foam fall away from the tank on the camera mounted on the ET.

Did anybody spot any?

img6157l.jpg
    img6302large.jpg
    img6309large.jpg

I wonder will thecommnder and sept1981 be on as high a cloud as you were LL,Jeepers you were buzzing for month!:)

Watching the replays and i know You can never be sure but unlike some previous flights i could not see a single piece of foam fall away from the tank on the camera mounted on the ET.

Did anybody spot any?
    Yeah it looked like a clean launch, but of course you can't always see the foam fall.

It's an amazing experience,tv is great but seeing,hearing and feeling it is an experience like no other. It took me about 2 months to stop looking at my pics over and over again.

I'd love to have had a bigger lens for my camera but as much as i love photography i couldn't justify spending another €400 on a new lens that would get little use except for a one off event. I'd also loved to have had a HD Camcorder but then again with all that equipment i'd have never seen the launch with my own eyes.The pics are great reminders of a great day but feeling the experience is so much better.

TheCommander has some good equipment with him so should have some great photo's. I'm really looking forward to hearing what he thought of the whole day.

• Advertisement

It's an amazing experience,tv is great but seeing,hearing and feeling it is an experience like no other. It took me about 2 months to stop looking at my pics over and over again.

I'd love to have had a bigger lens for my camera but as much as i love photography i couldn't justify spending another €400 on a new lens that would get little use except for a one off event. I'd also loved to have had a HD Camcorder but then again with all that equipment i'd have never seen the launch with my own eyes.The pics are great reminders of a great day but feeling the experience is so much better.

TheCommander has some good equipment with him so should have some great photo's. I'm really looking forward to hearing what he thought of the whole day.
    You said it my friend. The two launches I was at remain to this day magic moments for me. Seeing or should I say "feeling" a launch is an incredible experience that you can never forget. I'm an atheist but I tell you I saw God those days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 celticsibh

Will we get to see Atlantis following the iss tomorrow night??

The boys saying they need to know by mid-summer(june/july) if STS-335 is to become STS-135. Lot's of questions about this.:)

celticsibh wrote: »
    No afraid not:(

We may know by July where the Orbiters will end up following retirement.

The boys saying they need to know by mid-summer(june/july) if STS-335 is to become STS-135. Lot's of questions about this.:)
    Still holding out hope for that:)

Still holding out hope for that:)

I've given up hope on it. It'll be a great surprise if it comes to fruition.

That Irish Mammy that works for nasa will like i said do her very best to make sure that spare tank does not go to waste:).Nice to see the old NBC reporter there thats been there since NASA.s start.

All joking aside,i have been running on adrenalin and coffee so i cant make much of a search for the articles involved.

Astonishing what has been going on between a Senate commitee,Gene Cernan and Neil Armstrong.

Cernan grassed Bolden up that in private Bolden had said that NASA was going to have to Subsidise private industry for at least ten years and might end up without a vehicle safe to fly.{Bolden denied that's what he had said or meant}

Even more astonishing is how Venemously and Vocally Armstrong is making his feelings known.

Armstrong said Obama had been misled and that there was a hidden agenda behind the whole thing.Those who know of Armstrongs unwillingness to hardly ever say anything will know how hugh that is. So if You have the appetite to do a google news search!its fascinating stuff!

and Atlantis KU Antenna has already been checked and is fine.:)

20103353m.jpg
    20103363m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Evening. Just back from the launch. Quick shower and then out to meet 12april1981

Not sure really how to describe today, its beyond words. I know is a cliche to say something is spiritual but thats probably the nearest thing I could put it down as.

There were kids running around, people checking cameras etc for the 3+ hours we were in the causeway, when T-9 started counting down the mood changed. When it got to T-1 everyone went silent and each person had their own moment. I thought it was going to be a big group event with people whooping and cheering but everyone stayed quiet until the SRBs separated. An amazing moment that will stay with me forever.

Videoed the launch and have plenty of shots. Going back to KSC tomorrow to do tours etc, far too manic in there today.

PS. Didn't realise how close it was to a scrub, first we heard of it was on the bus coming back.

• Advertisement

Great stuff commander. I don't think it was too close to a scrub,just the fact that it came into play so late in the day had everyone on edge. Was a beautiful clean ascent,'tis great when they get away first time with no delays(that's Atlantis for you!). Looking forwards to your pics.:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Here we go, 2 shots taken from Cocoa Beach area:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4606997405/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/4607608882/in/photostream/

I got a few shots of the launch pads as we flew into Orlando, we flew just to the North of KSC,great view of the entire complex. Will post them up in a day or two when I get back home.

Here an older one I have of the Enterprise in the Smithsonian in Washington-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tearbringer/3951802557/in/set-72157622327491171/

Tenger wrote: »

I got a few shots of the launch pads as we flew into Orlando, we flew just to the North of KSC,great view of the entire complex. Will post them up in a day or two when I get back home.

Tenger ya dark horse,you kept that quiet! Great pics.:)

Here we go, 2 shots taken from Cocoa Beach area

Good work, it was amazing. We must have been on the same flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

celticsibh wrote: »

have a look here, gives all sighting info

Talk of STS-135 next June this evening.

Talk of STS-135 next June this evening.
    Oh let it be:):)

Good stuff! You never told us you were going! looking forward to seeing more:)

Evening. Just back from the launch. Quick shower and then out to meet 12april1981

Not sure really how to describe today, its beyond words. I know is a cliche to say something is spiritual but thats probably the nearest thing I could put it down as.

There were kids running around, people checking cameras etc for the 3+ hours we were in the causeway, when T-9 started counting down the mood changed. When it got to T-1 everyone went silent and each person had their own moment. I thought it was going to be a big group event with people whooping and cheering but everyone stayed quiet until the SRBs separated. An amazing moment that will stay with me forever.

Videoed the launch and have plenty of shots. Going back to KSC tomorrow to do tours etc, far too manic in there today.

PS. Didn't realise how close it was to a scrub, first we heard of it was on the bus coming back.
    Great to hear. It is one of the greatest experiences of your life! Trust me you will remember it for ever. looking forward to seeing the photos and video. Enjoy the day at KSC. Wish I was there again:(

• Advertisement

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21594.0;attach=221927;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21594.0;attach=221929;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21594.0;attach=221935;image

Advertisement