Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

How can you know any difference if you've never experienced it though? I've been using a 26" monitor with 1920x1200 native without any bells and whistles for well over 6 years now and I love it. Seems kinda insane to spend so much money on a new monitor when my current is working just fine?

True. The only reason I upgraded was because I managed to get a friend to buy my old one so the offset cost didn't seem that expensive. I usually only replace hardware when it dies like in the case of my GPU and mouse. Us bargain hunters tend to be pretty frugal but it also means we extract maximum value out of what we do own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Monitor has shipped already, thought I'd be waiting ages since it was down as a pre-order!

Showing up as in stock now, couldn't help myself.

I think i might go for a VA panel for my next monitor. As good as reviews the LG gets i don't play lots of fast paced stuff so the response times aren't that important to me once they are decent. Those new AOC monitors are getting good reviews and are even cheaper still.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Yea the LG ain't perfect either. Brightness and contrast is not the best even by IPS standards.

No such thing as a perfect monitor though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Is the Sound BlasterX G6 worth it? Ive never had an external or pcie soundcard before

• Advertisement

kevovek wrote: »
    Is the Sound BlasterX G6 worth it? Ive never had an external or pcie soundcard before

It's savage. Great at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

JoyPad wrote: »
    Scan's PC of the month looks great.

3XS Gamer EVO
    • Corsair Carbide 275R
    • ASUS TUF Gaming B460-Plus
    • Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8GHz - 5.1GHz
    • 3XS 240mm AIO Liquid Cooler
    • 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3000MHz DDR4
    • 8GB ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER DUAL EVO
    • 1TB Intel 660p M.2 NVMe SSD
    • Corsair CX550M - 80PLUS
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • 3 Year Premium Warranty

£1,499.99

Looks great but not much of a bargain https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/js7FNq

Looks great but not much of a bargain https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/js7FNq

It is better when you factor in that it's delivered fully functional, and build warranty will also go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

These are back in stock again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

It is better when you factor in that it's delivered fully functional, and build warranty will also go with that.

Yeah I suppose it is, if you are looking at those exact components. You would definitely get it for cheaper with substitutions without losing performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

xtal191 wrote: »

Out of stock again, but - I've a question on these.

Maybe a stupid question, but I've a sound card (from years ago - not sure why I bought it ) - I've heard onboard ones in recent years are solid..

https://www.creative.com/g/p/sound-cards/sound-blaster-audigy-fx

Would it offer any more benefit over this? Or would it just make things louder?

Curious as to the use case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Shlippery wrote: »

Maybe a stupid question, but I've a sound card (from years ago - not sure why I bought it ) - I've heard onboard ones in recent years are solid..

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/

It's possibly a bit better, but I don't have much info about sound cards compared to headphones.

The G6 has the added benefit of the software that accompanies it.
    It's all gaming focused so there are various presets for different games, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I have two G5s (the predecessor of the G6) connected to my desktop PC, purely for the digital inputs, so I can grab audio from my gaming rig, and from my XB1X, via optical cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ordered a 1.8m desk, and the top arrived with a crack in the laminate. The top can't be flipped over either, as there are holes pre-drilled in the other side.

The company aren't too keen on taking it back, so if anyone would like a massive desk top with a little (as far as I can tell) cosmetic damage, then it's going for free if you have something big enough to drive it away in.

It's the 1.8m "Alaska" wood variant of this:
    https://www.gostand.ie/collections/desk-tops/products/series-1-desk-top-mfc?variant=14021071437891
    Very tempting! Would you not use it for shed shelving or something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ordered a 1.8m desk, and the top arrived with a crack in the laminate. The top can't be flipped over either, as there are holes pre-drilled in the other side.

The company aren't too keen on taking it back, so if anyone would like a massive desk top with a little (as far as I can tell) cosmetic damage, then it's going for free if you have something big enough to drive it away in.

It's the 1.8m "Alaska" wood variant of this:
    https://www.gostand.ie/collections/desk-tops/products/series-1-desk-top-mfc?variant=14021071437891

That sucks. Could you do a chargeback through your card company seeing as it is damaged?

I'd actually love a larger desk and that one looks class. No way of getting it from you though so I'm no good to you. I'm sure someone will take it off your hands though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

How do you go about ordering stuff from Amazon.de, it etc. Do you need to use some sort of postal forwarding service?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no just order as normal, there may be a delivery charge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Often a charge to Ireland but not to the UK, wonder if that will change with Brexit. Depending on the item I use Parcel wizard or Parcel Motel to get stuff from the DE website. If its a pricey item I'd get it sent directly if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

xtal191 wrote: »

https://en.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

Back in stock again, finally picked one up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://en.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock

Back in stock again, finally picked one up

"Thank You for Your Order."

:rolleyes: here I go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bought one too.

Sound card is the only thing I've never upgraded since getting into PCs!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can it do mic monitoring anyone know? Don't see it mentioned on the web page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Yeah - scroll down to no. 12 here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nice one,cheers!

Just an FYI on this. There's slight delay while using this.
    Apparently it's been fixed with the latest device they have out. The X3.

Just an FYI on this. There's slight delay while using this.
    Apparently it's been fixed with the latest device they have out. The X3.

Good to know, might hold off on the deal so. If there's any delay it doesn't sound right, when it's working properly you wouldn't even know it's there.

Apart from that issue it really is a class edition to a setup. I suppose a lot of people don't use the mic aspect of it(me included) so it's still great value. I only use it while gaming as i've a Fiio K5 Pro for everything else headphone related.

I've actually done without mic monitoring for years, I only have it the odd time I play on console but it is something I miss a bit. I feel like I'm shouting down my mic the whole time when I can't hear my own voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

tempted by this but don't know if I need it
    does it make a difference?
    I used to have a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic in my first PC build but that died years ago and have not noticed much difference than using onboard on modern mobo's

Advertisement