Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts/Adverts Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,700 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Feck it I went ahead & ordered that NZXT Kraken X72 360mm.

Should make my build a bit cleaner, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Feck it I went ahead & ordered that NZXT Kraken X72 360mm.

Should make my build a bit cleaner, too.

Lemme know how it looks, gutted I missed it. Thinking of switching to a Kraken for a change!

edit: scratch that, can see it in the main pics thread!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is that the best price that monitor has been? Very tempting...

Yup. Always about the €500 mark usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Cheapest I've seen it and I was waiting for stock for months so was regularly checking

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would it be a big step up on my current monitor you reckon? Have a Dell S2716DG 1440p/144hz which is a TN panel rather than n an IPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's rated as the best IPS panel on the market and 1 of the best overall so most likely yes.

The colours would be a lot better anyway.

Tempted myself. Wish there was an option to buy these things cheaper without a stand if you plan on sticking them on VESA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Yup. Always about the €500 mark usually.

Have one arriving Monday and can't wait to see it :D got it new for 359, delivered sterling too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

amadablam wrote: »
    Have one arriving Monday and can't wait to see it :D got it new for 359, delivered sterling too :D

And from where did you source such a bargain?

amadablam wrote: »

I'd love to get one but the monitor i have is still going strong. It's about five years old now but it's Gsync and IPS so i'll have to restrain myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

dudeeile wrote: »
    And from where did you source such a bargain?

Ebay had a code last Thursday for 40 and curry's had them for 399 on the ebay store so 359 with the code. I got it late and they were oos pretty much immediately according to the thread on hduk. I didn't even think theyd ship but got a dpd notification that night. Happy days for the price. PayPal took their greedy currency fee but it still worked out cheap enough in euros.

I bit the bullet on the OCUK deal, hopefully won't be too long waiting for stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was tempted. But in the past few months I sold my 144hz 1440P, bought a 35" ultrawide 120hz.....and didn't like it to much.

Went for an Alienware 1080P 240hz instead and while I like it, missing the initial 1440p 144hz....even though the 35", an €800 monitor, is just sitting gathering dust.

Think I've made my bed and just have to lie in it....for now.

There's no way i could go back to 1080p. Are ya mad?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's only 25" so it's actually grand at that resolution. The 240Hz is nice but really anything beyond 120hz or so and it doesn't make much difference to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

32" 1440P is what I'm looking for at the moment, but there isn't much in this segment that isn't curved VA, and/or < 100Hz. MSI and Acer have IPS models on the way, but I expect them to be dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

24" 1080p, 27" 1440p and 32"+ 4k is what I would go. 32" at 1440p would be a bit too big for pixels to look right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

i am also shocked people are still using 1080p monitors.
    1440p is a good balance between resolution and framerate.
    4k is nice on bigger screens but getting a good framerate is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

24" 1080p, 27" 1440p and 32"+ 4k is what I would go. 32" at 1440p would be a bit too big for pixels to look right.

It's the exact same PPI as 24" 1080P. And if anything, you won't have to sit as close as you would with a 24".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I game at 4k with a 5700XT on a 60Hz Tv. More than 60Hz 4k is only just getting released now but atm there is no card that would be able to get consistent 100fps with high detail at 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'd say the vast, vast majority use 1080p. It covers the gamut for casual gamers, to high refresh enthuiast games and everything inbetween. The vast majority of people have no interest in building machines and just go for off the shelf prebuilts which handle 1080p but would stuggle with anything else.

Sorry about the spelling firefox is acting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You might have hardware that only gets decent framerate at 1080 and for people not gaming they might prefer a larger native resolution for text etc. I still use apps especially remotely that don't handle font scaling well.

I have one laptop with near 4k Res and I specifically stopped using and switched to a 1080 screen laptop for that reason.

That said the font scaling is less an issue these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

How can you know any difference if you've never experienced it though? I've been using a 26" monitor with 1920x1200 native without any bells and whistles for well over 6 years now and I love it. Seems kinda insane to spend so much money on a new monitor when my current is working just fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Still waiting for my dream monitor,- 24inch ips G-Sync 144hz, (space is a issue for 27inch) could go for a dell ultra sharp but loose G-Sync

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Just looking at that LG monitor now, is the -24% the deal folks are talking about? Might be a nice upgrade from my 24" 1080p 144hz LG monitor.

jebidiah wrote: »
    Just looking at that LG monitor now, is the -24% the deal folks are talking about? Might be a nice upgrade from my 24" 1080p 144hz LG monitor.

Yup.

Yup.

Any links to a reputable review?

• Advertisement

Monitor has shipped already, thought I'd be waiting ages since it was down as a pre-order!

Advertisement