Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax MPEG-4 DTT Receiver & HD Satellite and SD DTT MPEG 4 Combi Receiver

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

rurs wrote: »
    Also written in big letters on the box was M-HEG5 compatible, which is a nice plus, but I couldn't get it to work, only standard teletext, maybe it might be enabled in a later firmware, or maybe the fact that RTE are broadcasting both is confusing things, but it does show they are thinking about Ireland specifically, which should be positive in over the long term.

Yes please take a photo of this claim (is it a sticker on the box ?)

MHEG5 on a combo box would be highly unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

I would love to see this unit menu system, channel guide, EPG - Specifically is it possible to categorize the channels into different sections eg Entertainment, News, Music, etc OR does it just allow one large list of stations - Also can the DTT channels be bunched in with the satellite ones - I really appreciate your help guys - I have a goodmans SAT4FREE box which is driving me nuts and im being offered this TRIAX as an alternative!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

Here you go:
    No problem grouping DTT and Sat channels together.
    You can make favourite lists. Called Fav1, Fav2, sorry, didn't get a photo of them, but it was the usual type of list you get on a stb.
    Definitely not a sticker claiming MHEG 5, it's printed right on the front of the box.
    But I couldn't get anything to show up. "Text" button just gave teletext, no response from blue or green buttons on remote.
    A nice point is that the name of the program, from both DTT and Sat, is given to the recording. A less useful "feature" is that it wouldn't let me access the recordings while a recording is in progress.

>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

rurs wrote: »
    I don't have one myself, but I had a play around with one in the local Power City.

Seems like a decent machine, better than the Mvision, as you can definitely record on one tuner, watch the other (I brought my own USB drive), which I don't think the Mvision can, or the cheaper Edision.

Clear, if a little utilitarian, GUI.
    Timeshift worked, recording ditto.

Interestingly, it does indeed have "UK & Ireland" writ large on the box, and the fadas showed up on RTE (can't do it myself:), I don't think any of the Euro-sourced boxes handle these correctly.

Also written in big letters on the box was M-HEG5 compatible, which is a nice plus, but I couldn't get it to work, only standard teletext, maybe it might be enabled in a later firmware, or maybe the fact that RTE are broadcasting both is confusing things, but it does show they are thinking about Ireland specifically, which should be positive in over the long term.

Overall, I'd be happy with it if I didn't already have a combo box (Ferguson Ariva)

Only downside I could see was that there only seemed to be 10 slots for scheduled recordings, which might get quickly used up if you plan use it as a PVR, but you'd want to double check that if you can if it's an issue for you.

Was this the TRIAX - ST-HD527CI which PowerCity have?

• Advertisement

Thanks a million Rurs. Those photos are exactly what i needed to see the menu system. I suppose the six million dollar question is would you recommend this unit. I am being offered it in lieu of a Goodmans Sat4free/Freesat box, of which i have had two(both had several issues:)

Just a few more questions:

Does the Triax have an issue showing STV HD which is FTA but which my freesat box wont touch! also the new ITV HD 1 region which has a higher bit rate (10936V)

Does it allow you to fully scan 28.2 for sky news and bbc news feeds? I would like to think it can show signal strength and quality in a useful way:

To be honest im not to concerned about the MHEG 5 teletext- my philips TV is MHEG5 & MPEG4 compatible - So il probably loop the aerial back through the TV from the Triax - That way if im recording RTE1 i can watch RTE2 on the TV's Tuner:

It looks look a great piece of Kit it has to be said - and triax have been around a fair while: Does it do a good job upscaling SD stations? That was possibly the only thing the goodmans did a fair job of!

Thanks a million for your help Rurs.. showing me those pictures really helped!

I just wanna be sure before i get this one (goodmans really let me down~!)

@Kerbdog - yes, that's the one I'm talking about.

@liamtech - I can't see STV HD or ITV HD being a problem, on my own Ferguson Ariva there's no problem, I think STV shows up as 6342 or something like that, but I just rename it.

Similarly, the feeds will be there, I know the BBC sport/Red button feeds were tuned in in Power City.

You'll be able to record RTE One, watch RTE Two all on the Triax, as they're on the same mux.
    I think there's a quality reading available from two presses of the info button.
    Have you had a look at the manual which was linked earlier in the thread?

I would find the restriction of not being able to watch a recording from disk while another recording is in progress very annoying, and the remote operation was a bit clunky: constant use of the back or exit button, which isn't near the info button, for example, but you'd get used to it I suppose.

The upscaling was fine, no noticeable problems.

If it's not going to cost you anything, it's definitely worth it.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks again rurs, i think il go for it.. I have a 250GB External Lacie drive which should do the trick for PVR functionality - By the way is there any limits to the sizes or types of Media it will use i.e. Hard drives, memory sticks etc

Im sure it wont be a problem as i have several, just good to know about compatibility for the future

I used an 8gb SD card in a usb adaptor in Power City, worked perfectly.

A 250gb drive should be fine, I know with the Ferguson I have, 750gb is the upper limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Following a discussion over in the satellite forum I was browsing the Triax website and I see they have launched two DVB-T2/MPEG-4 DTT receivers since I was last on their website; a zapper box (Triax T2-HD 115 Zapper - Freeview HD Receiver) and a 500Gb twin tuner pvr (Triax T2-HD 217 PVR - Freeview+HD Recorder).

Both are MHEG-5 compatible (for digital text and epg) unlike the previous MPEG-4 receivers for the Irish market and are also Dolby Digital+ (Enhanced AC-3) and HE AAC compliant as required by the Irish spec. Not sure if they can display regular "analogue" text or display a non MHEG-5 epg

I wonder if these receiver will appear here with the Saorview logo attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

The Cush wrote: »
    Following a discussion over in the satellite forum I was browsing the Triax website and I see they have launched two DVB-T2/MPEG-4 DTT receivers since I was last on their website; a zapper box (Triax T2-HD 115 Zapper - Freeview HD Receiver) and a 500Gb twin tuner pvr (Triax T2-HD 217 PVR - Freeview+HD Recorder).

Both are MHEG-5 compatible (for digital text and epg) unlike the previous MPEG-4 receivers for the Irish market and are also Dolby Digital+ (Enhanced AC-3) and HE AAC compliant as required by the Irish spec. Not sure if they can display regular "analogue" text or display a non MHEG-5 epg

I wonder if these receiver will appear here with the Saorview logo attached.
    Very likely that they will along with Humax, Sagemcom, Philips/Pace, Walker, Fortecstar, Grundig, Ferguson, Samsung, LG and let's hope that the prices drop fairly rapidly by next March so that pvrs are more affordable for everyone in the country. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Anyone bought one of these in Power City?
    I was looking at them last week. If anybody could give a small review that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Is this box ok with the changover of RTE2 to HD?

Also does it show analogue text if it's not MHEG5 capable?

Mayo Exile wrote: »

hi again folks - Im seriously interested in this too - is this box currently receiving RTE2 UpScaled? can anyone confirm this - I know it upscales the SD channels itself - but is it picking up and displaying the HD channel?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

liamtech wrote: »
    hi again folks - Im seriously interested in this too - is this box currently receiving RTE2 UpScaled? can anyone confirm this - I know it upscales the SD channels itself - but is it picking up and displaying the HD channel?!?

Two new Triax Saorview-certified receivers are on the way so it would be best to wait - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69707750#post69707750.

Announced by Triax in its Dec newsletter (attached, page 5)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I spoke with a senior guy in Armstrongs who told me that triax are working on an internet based EPG for freesat on the combo box submitted for Saorview approval.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Fine if you have real broadband. No use if you have 3G dongle (never Broadband), Dialup or Nothing.

Still worth doing as it's simple and does mostly work. You can still use now/next to correct the PVR start/stop time scheduled via Internet sourced EPG.

The Cush wrote: »
    Two new Triax Saorview-certified receivers are on the way so it would be best to wait - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69707750#post69707750.

Announced by Triax in its Dec newsletter (attached, page 5)

I understand what your saying about the new unit - but im setting up freesat for a friend with Saorview also - The triax is the best value box, and my friend doesnt care about MHEG or digital teletext-

What does matter, is whether he will be able to receive all of the DTT stations. Is this box receiving RTE2 currently - that is the proper higher res RTE 2 and not just the temporary version.

Can anyone clarify this for me

A "proper" Brand offically distributing set-boxes in UK and Ireland can only use Freesat info by Licence and Sky info not at all.

Thus without it being an Official Skybox or Official Freesat box they absolutely can't use info off Satellite. They can use legitimate Internet XML services.

A lot of stuff added to Dreambox or VU Duo, Spiderbox etc is legally dodgy. Or at hobbyist level of reliability.

I understand what your saying about the new unit - but im setting up freesat for a friend with Saorview also - The triax is the best value box, and my friend doesnt care about MHEG or digital teletext-

What does matter, is whether he will be able to receive all of the DTT stations. Is this box receiving RTE2 currently - that is the proper higher res RTE 2 and not just the temporary version.

He may care seriously about MHEG5 later. It's not just about Digital text and is a Mandatory part of being compatible with Irish DTT even if you are not Saorview Certified.

Anyhow the DTT part of the new Triax combo ST-HD537 will be SAORVIEW Certified. The Satellite part will just be FTA HD, not Freesat HD, hence the need for alternate EPG info source for Satellite.

I'd rather have a true Freesat Set-box with HD + MHEG5 DVB-T that is Irish Digital Compatible even if not certified for Saorview. My wife likes Wimbleton.

Is the the ST-HD537 actually available yet?

If you are talking about the Triax T2-HD 115 Zapper - Freeview HD Receiver, The Cush points out that it's MPEG, HD and MHEG5 (as it must be to be UK "Freeview HD"), so braodly compatible, but it's for UK market. The Irish Version is TRIAX TR112 which will apparently be Saorview certified.

If you mean the ST-HD527 CI, it's not got MHEG5, but does do HD. A bad idea. Better to wait for ST-HD537, which should be same price or cheaper and out very shortly if not already.

The TR110 mentioned in 1st post was a large mistake for Triax. It's not Irish Compatible at all. No HD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Will be fine for HD.

I dont know ehere you are getting best value box though. The Ferguson Ariva HD Combo, Edision Argus Mini and the Mvision HD300NET would be ahead of this value wise. The Mvision may be nearer the 200 mark but plays divx as well.

Also the Ferguson is the only one that allows record a tuner and watch the other tuner option. And that is cheaper than the Triax HDCI527.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This would be an opportune time for the MoU to benefit citizens of the Republic of Ireland also, by working on a solution which would allow Freesat and Saorview/Saorsat to coexist on the one box, without having to worry about manual retunes and no 7 day epg. While I doubt LCNs etc could be co-ordinated, I think the provision of a standard 7 day EPG for the Freesat Channels would go a long way.

@watty and others; is it even feasible for Freesat to use a standard EPG data stream alongside the Sky and Freesat proprietary EPGs? Or could standard DVB-EIT data be provided for just BBC1/2 Northern Ireland, UTV and Channel 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

@watty and others; is it even feasible for Freesat to use a standard EPG data stream alongside the Sky and Freesat proprietary EPGs? Or could standard DVB-EIT data be provided for just BBC1/2 Northern Ireland, UTV and Channel 4?

Why would they? Freesat get money from every Freesat box sold to provide that EPG info.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Mayo Exile wrote: »

RTE 2 currently displayed with this box.

Analogue text currently working on this box.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

gtg60 wrote: »
    Why would they? Freesat get money from every Freesat box sold to provide that EPG info.

I refer you to:
    This would be an opportune time for the MoU to benefit citizens of the Republic of Ireland also, by working on a solution which would allow Freesat and Saorview/Saorsat to coexist on the one box, without having to worry about manual retunes and no 7 day epg.
    MoU being the Memorandum of Understanding. It appears likely that we will have to contribute to the cost of the 7th multiplex in a couple of parts of Northern Ireland. It makes a mockery of such a joint initiative if nothing whatsoever is done to accommodate those who want to watch Northern Irish programming in the South.

Freesat (who is not UK Governemt Controlled) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat would have to change their licence conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Tony wrote: »
    I spoke with a senior guy in Armstrongs who told me that triax are working on an internet based EPG for freesat on the combo box submitted for Saorview approval.

Heard the same from another source close to Triax :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Rippy wrote: »
    Heard the same from another source close to Triax :D

Copenhagen ? :)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

looking at this triax combo and qbox hd mini
    anyone have the triax combo,working ok with recording etc receiving the irish ddt and sat channels ok,can get for 200 Euros here locally
    how it compare too other combos ect
    thanks in advance

• Advertisement

If you mean the ST-HD527 CI, it's not got MHEG5, but does do HD. A bad idea. Better to wait for ST-HD537, which should be same price or cheaper and out very shortly if not already.

What is the rush? The Publicity campaign hasn't even started yet?

Advertisement