Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combo box that supports saorview teletext?

Options
  • 13-12-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Does one exist or is there one on the horizon? Also, one with a USB port on the back would be nice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

dubber wrote: »
    Does one exist or is there one on the horizon? Also, one with a USB port on the back would be nice :)

Not at the moment. Rumour has it that one is in for certification. Likely to be either the Triax or more likely the Golden Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

STB wrote: »
    Not at the moment. Rumour has it that one is in for certification. Likely to be either the Triax or more likely the Golden Media.

Thanks STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Just been confirmed to me by a supplier that it is the Triax box going through saorview certification.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Just been confirmed to me by a supplier that it is the Triax box going through saorview certification.

Nice one Tony, looks like Sky will be getting the boot shortly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

What model?

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    What model?

Should have that info next week or early in the New year

Should have that info next week or early in the New year

Did you got any info through Tony?

Did you got any info through Tony?

Not yet

If its the Triax its the TRIAX ST-HD527CI in the list below. The Golden Media Unibox is also there.

DTT & Sat HD Combo Boxes Nov 2010 (under €200)

connectorinfo-[triax-st-hd-527ci]-1.gif

Spec

Just spoke with Armstrongs who tell me its this one TRIAX ST-HD537

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Tony.

Triax have the TRIAX TR112 in certification also. (Infact it would seem that they have been certified ?)

Thats the DVB-T only version with MHEG5.

@Tony:Alltrade

Interesting to see the price point.

STB wrote: »
    Thanks for that Tony.

No problem, yes both boxes in for certification. Alltrade are a little expensive , would put the box around the 250 Mark retail . I'll keep looking for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭PressTheButton

The TRIAX ST-HD537 combi, once Saorview certified, will be on my shopping list - but not at €250.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Yeap 250 is a bit steep..im going to wait a few weeks and stick to my one for all aerial before i start purchasing satellite/dtt install

Guys 250 is just a speculative figure based on what Alltrade are selling trade, I'm sure it will be cheaper once a reasonable supplier source becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

will satellite have 7 day epg ?

TIA

stanley1 wrote: »

TIA

thats unlikely , the freesat epg is licensed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

ok, thanks tony, I don't think thats a goer for me.

Interestingly built on the chassis of the UK Freeview HD/Freeview models with tuner changes etc (so not the same hardware totally, but on the back of the UK chassis design). The Blue ones are the Saorview models.

attachment.php?attachmentid=140986&stc=1&d=1293454226

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭bbeeforsalmon

In one thread it is stated that this STB in powercity has "MHEG 5 compatible" written on the box. I wonder if anyone has managed to use it to access the new teletex on saorview. One poster tried it instore but couldn't access the new txt.

I am tempted to buy this box now as the new certified model 537 CI will probably be identical but with MHEG 5 fully in operation. I have an LG 32LC2D for the moment and although the manual doesn't mention HD ready, when I google it, it appears to be. Will the STB be ok with a non HD tv for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any proper spec HD set-box with HDMI should have down-converted HD on the SCART for non-HD TVs.

Don't get a set-box without MHEG5 http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

http://www.techtir.ie/blog/watty/triax-for-saorview

If the box (or TV) is set to detect and use Teletext in preference to MHEG5 text, then select RTE2 (HD not temp channel) first, then press Text as RTE2 has no Teletext, only MHEG5.

There will be other MHEG5 applications later. Not just text.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Walker told me in November they expect to have DTT/Sat combo in Spring/Summer 2011, and presume it'll be Saorview approved - their DTT only boxes were some of the earliest to be certified.

Unless the Sat part is Freesat compatible I'd rather have two boxes. Or Freesat box + Saorview TV or Win7 PC for PVR (dual DVB-T tuner + Dual DVB-S2) or some other combination.

At this stage I'm fairly fed up with Sat solutions that are not actually Freesat compatible. Or Sky (but no good for PVR without Sub).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

stanley1 wrote: »

TIA

If 7 day EPG is not available will a combo with PVR functionality allow you to record programs in the future by start and end time?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

leex wrote: »
    If 7 day EPG is not available will a combo with PVR functionality allow you to record programs in the future by start and end time?

Yes. Once/Daily/Weekly are normally available. However, some have only 8 timer slots, which I think is very restrictive.

watty wrote: »
    Unless the Sat part is Freesat compatible I'd rather have two boxes. Or Freesat box + Saorview TV or Win7 PC for PVR (dual DVB-T tuner + Dual DVB-S2) or some other combination.

At this stage I'm fairly fed up with Sat solutions that are not actually Freesat compatible. Or Sky (but no good for PVR without Sub).

What are the implications of not supporting Freesat? No interactive services and having to "manually" arrange your EPG - is there anything else?

What are the implications of not supporting Freesat? No interactive services and having to "manually" arrange your EPG - is there anything else?
    Having to re-scan (and possibly re-arrange your channels) whenever channels are added, deleted or move transponders. This is not for the technically "faint of heart";)

Those are bad.

No guide either

I guess it is a PITA alright - I have to do this with my "2nd sat box". I guess the next question is when are we likely to see a soarview/freesat combo box?

• Advertisement

Any of these combos (I've been through several) are no use without a solid dual tuner PVR. I need Humax to merge the functionality of their Freesat PVR with that of their Freeview HD PVR into one box and I'll be a happy bunny... but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.
    Having a satellite / terrestrial receiver without a recording facility is like stepping back in time before the advent of the humble VHS VCR;)

Advertisement