Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who, on this forum, is in favour of a 32 county Republic?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I see you confusing me with donegalfella ;)
    :pac:
    Sorry about that, I was debating with him in another thread and had the quotation as my paste function. Forgot to change the paste to your name.

Its not hard to see why, is it? Changing the currency, signage, tax systems, justice systems etc etc in two counties? There must be a tradoff somewhere.

Anyway, it shouldnt matter what country you're in once your Government doesnt discriminate against you.
    But surely this doesn't matter; people should have the right of self-determination. While it may be annoying to change taxes, currency and so on, I would have thought you would respect people's rights to determine this for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Sorry, Lad, you are the deluded one.
    One thing about oral tradition, especially in munster, about dev, there are all sides covered in the conversations and people of a certain age and local reputation for honesty and for what they did in the war would not sully their obligation to share the truth with false stories. That is why so many of are so sure of the facts re the character and actions of that cowardly, lying, cheating cur, de valera.
    The man who was giving us nationhood in all but name, WITHOUT a bloody civil war was Collins and he paid for this with hios life because that cur de Valera could see the future with a Collins at the head of our new nation.

How dare you say Collins was never down in the thick of it? How many accounts of his near-capture and risks to meet the column's officers to direct the action and steer tiny stocks of guns and bullets to disperate and desperate bands in Cork and Limerick and Kerry can you glean from numerous testimonies of those involved? The "big fella" was revered down our side and for good reason. The "long fella" was nothing better than a spit starter. ie you said it and made damn sure you had a spit ready.
    I never read the book you mention, but many others and can only sigh at your naivety and ignorance of what de Valera cost this nation, through his madness and badness. Spit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

You are complaining about the 26 imposing their rule on the 6. Even though 4 of the 6 were imposing their will on 2 themselves.
    What's not to see?

You're wrong there; Carson and the Unionists repeatedly spoke against Home Rule and toured Ireland giving speeches against it( ever hear of the Ulster Covenant?) A clear case of the 4 attmepting to impose their will on the 28.
    Regardless, there are 2 nationalist countries forced in with the 4. Do you agree with this?
    The question then arises; how small do we break it down before the "will" emerges?

Thought only Down and Antrim are Unionist majority now? Though at time of partition I think Tyrone and Fermanagh were split fairly even. Possibly slight Sinn Fein/Nationalist majority in Tyrone. http://www.ark.ac.uk/elections/h1918.htm

They were one electoral region, with a slight nationalist majority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I would have thought you would respect people's rights to determine this for themselves.

I do, but one has to admit that its an idealistic notion and may not be practicable in all scenarios. If we are to take the ideal to its extreme conclusion, should I be able to secede my house and garden from Ireland into my own tax free country?

The better solution (imo) is to create a situation where at a fundamental level it doesn't matter which country your in. Once Britain and Ireland will respect my rights, not discriminate against me, allow me a level of freedom, etc etc, then does it matter which one I'm in?

• Advertisement

I do, but one has to admit that its an idealistic notion and may not be practicable in all scenarios. If we are to take the ideal to its extreme conclusion, should I be able to secede my house and garden from Ireland into my own tax free country?

The better solution (imo) is to create a situation where at a fundamental level it doesn't matter which country your in. Once Britain and Ireland will respect my rights, not discriminate against me, allow me a level of freedom, etc etc, then does it matter which one I'm in?

Mainly because secession and acquisition are two completely different things.

THe only way your solution would work is if England and Ireland were virtually identical; what if the residents of Tyrone/Fermanagh wanted to get in on the Euro? Ensure they weren't a part of NATO? Be part of a more neutral nation? Etc.

Or do you think that people should be forced to be part of a nation because they were forced to decades ago?

I was talking about the fundamentals of a given state. Even your mentioning of "nation" shows that we are singing off of a different hymn sheet. The idea that we are a nation is solely one of opinion, as is the idea of a shared culture. Its based on the false premise that we are all in some way homogeneous, when in modern times we are not. Ive said it many times before that there are people living on the other side of the world that Ive more in common with than my next door neighbors. Yet I'm lumped into the same "nation" as the latter because of an accident of geography.

That is why I believe in a state that doesn't discriminate based on what the majority want, or what the majority think the state is. I believe in a state that treats all its citizens with respect, and endows them with rights that cant be overturned by the majority of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭sirromo

I was talking about the fundamentals of a given state. Even your mentioning of "nation" shows that we are singing off of a different hymn sheet. The idea that we are a nation is solely one of opinion, as is the idea of a shared culture. Its based on the false premise that we are all in some way homogeneous, when in modern times we are not. Ive said it many times before that there are people living on the other side of the world that Ive more in common with than my next door neighbors. Yet I'm lumped into the same "nation" as the latter because of an accident of geography.

The same could be said about members of your family. You didn't choose which family you were born into and there are plenty of people on the other side of the world who you would have more in common with than you would with your own brother or sister.

I believe in a state that treats all its citizens with respect, and endows them with rights that cant be overturned by the majority of the day.

Is there someone contributing to this thread who believes otherwise?

Nothing to do with homogenity; Ireland and the UK differ a lot anyway so it's hardly a case that it doesn't matter which one an electoral area belongs to.
    That is why I believe in a state that doesn't discriminate based on what the majority want, or what the majority think the state is. I believe in a state that treats all its citizens with respect, and endows them with rights that cant be overturned by the majority of the day.
    Which is why we have Constitutions and the rule of law. However, it is clearly not true that states will be the same. Even though Ireland and the UK are EU members, they differ on a hell of a lot of issues. As such, surely people have the right to determine which they feel they should belong to, especially when they were placed there by force decades ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Lets keep it civil here.Just as a matter of interest, who here is in favour of a united Ireland?I'm talking long term(i.e in 20/25 years or more)not in the next year or so.

I would describe myself as a republican but I despise the dissidents(criminals is a better word) as much as the next man.I also think a united Ireland should only come about with majority consent in NI.

As far as I'm concerned breaking from the UK was a bloody, costly mistake. Just look at the idiots running the place - so long as they're happy and their friends are happy in their minds the country is fine. It's not though, it's corrupt, badly run and in danger of complete financial collapse. What's worse is that the crowd who put us in this mess keep getting re-elected.

SD

• Advertisement

As such, surely people have the right to determine which they feel they should belong to, especially when they were placed there by force decades ago.

I totally agree with you on that, I just think theres a practical aspect to it too. Obviously in extreme circumstances practicality goes out the window. But in general I think the cost of these things should be a factor. Which is why I would be against just Fermanagh and Tyrone joining the republic. It would be so costy and unfeasible (and dlofnep agrees with me :p)

If someones gripe with a country is based more on modern day reality (such as poor social welfare) then I would suggest they just move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

StudentDad wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned breaking from the UK was a bloody, costly mistake. Just look at the idiots running the place - so long as they're happy and their friends are happy in their minds the country is fine. It's not though, it's corrupt, badly run and in danger of complete financial collapse. What's worse is that the crowd who put us in this mess keep getting re-elected.

SD

Ireland made a mistake in leaving the UK did we?Errr...no mate.Britain had treated us like sh*t for centuries, oppressing Irish language and culture, trying to oppress the catholic religion, and basically keeping the Irish people down in general so that the "Empire" could have more prestige, and leaving was the right thing to do.How people can say we should have stayed in the UK just because we're in a bad place today, even though there's a possibility that will improve, is beyond me.You should base your argument on actual reasons, instead of just because we have a bad government at the moment.Lets ignore all the good years we've had since independence, shall we:rolleyes:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

If someones gripe with a country is based more on modern day reality (such as poor social welfare) then I would suggest they just move.

+1.Completely agree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I'd be in favour as long as it was achieved peacefully and democratically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Which is why I would be against just Fermanagh and Tyrone joining the republic. It would be so costy and unfeasible (and dlofnep agrees with me :p)

Well for a number of reasons.

Firstly - It wouldn't stop dissidents. The 26 and 6, would just become the 28 and 4. Moreover, the strength of nationalists in the 6.. 4 counties would be greatly weakened, leading to severe oppression of nationalist identity, culture and voice. You can be sure that if nationalists had weakened representation in the north - there would be no devolution, nobody working on their behalf for the irish language, minimal work would be achieved on equality issues and so on.

Fermanagh and Tyrone joining the 26 is the worst possible idea. It's either all or nothing, because a compromise of 2 counties would only make things worse for everybody - in both the north and south. When something arises, it will have to be a 32 county Republic - and nothing less.

Believe me - I think about it everyday. The consequences, the benefits, what changes will be instilled for the lives of the ordinary man. And I think you are right to question the impact Irish unification would have on the ordinary man. If we all just sat here, and nodded and smiled at each other - we wouldn't be having productive discussion - and would be rather just dreaming, so I'm glad you pose the questions that you pose.

SD

I think you'll find Britain has it's own fair share of village idiots in Government. There was no logical sense in being apart of the UK, as we would not have had the ability to define our own foreign policy. And that's even if the UK lasts. Scotland looks to be on her way out at some point - and the Welsh Government are pressing further and further for more devolved powers. The central bureaucratic system of the UK just doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

You're probably thinking of the devolution referendum which created the parliament in Scotland. It didn't provide for an independent Scotland, just allowed the Scottish people to manage internal matters (external matters would still be controlled through Westminster). The only part of the UK left without a locally controlled government is now England.
    Indeed Maggy. Thanks for clarifying that the option of independence was never on the ballot paper in 1997. And thanks also to your widely despised namesake for helping deliver a Yes/Yes vote ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Why should the 6 counties have the right to block the will of the 26 counties and most international opinion in terms of a unitary Irish state....?

Its a post colonial situation and the game is up. Why should the 6 counties be treated any differently to the rest of Britian's empire?

What you want is colonialism. The people in the North do not want to join the South. Until that changes and frankly I doubt it ever will the situation will remain as it is.

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Exile 1798

What you want is colonialism. The people in the North do not want to join the South. Until that changes and frankly I doubt it ever will the situation will remain as it is.

Language becomes pointless when words mean nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

Exile 1798 wrote: »
    Language becomes pointless when words mean nothing.

Yes, and a sense of decency and morality is superfluous when intellect is not engaged before vocal cords, or as here, typing finger is engaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

You could turn that around and say that the 26 is a gerrymandered statelet that came about intentionally so that it would retain a separatist majority (from the UK). Countries are arbitrary divisions of land.

What???

Are you and your three "thankers" for real???

That is one of the oddest posts I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

SD

At least the current misrule of our country doesn't lead to the death of our citizens as it did when we were (mis)ruled by the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

What???

Are you and your three "thankers" for real???

That is one of the oddest posts I've ever read.
    It doesn't strike me as terribly odd. On what basis do you assert that the island of Ireland is a homogeneous entity? We all came here from somewhere. Our Unionist pals have perhaps something of the "Johnny come lately" about them, being that they are only here 400 years :)! But they certainly don't align themselves culturally, or any other way, with the rest of us.
    Isn't the case for a single Irish state simply based on our island geography?

lugha wrote: »
    Isn't the case for a single Irish state simply based on our island geography?

No, it's not.

Our geography is only one of many cases, that outline problems with having such a small Island divided into two states. One could look at the impact it has on border businesses and so forth. But that isn't the sole reason for the case for a single Irish state, and I'm pretty sure you're intelligent enough to know better.

Technically, we could consider the Isle of Man to be worthy as part of an Irish nation if it was purely just based on geographical location.

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it's not.

Our geography is only one of many cases, that outline problems with having such a small Island divided into two states. One could look at the impact it has on border businesses and so forth. But that isn't the sole reason for the case for a single Irish state, and I'm pretty sure you're intelligent enough to know better.

Technically, we could consider the Isle of Man to be worthy as part of an Irish nation if it was purely just based on geographical location.

Well we could solve the "small" problem by throwing out lot back in with Britain. :D If big is what you want, that would be one fine lump of an economy.

Anyway, the question I was asking has to do with why Nationalists arbitrarily decide that an Irish state should exactly coincide with the geographical boundary of this island? Why not push for a state that takes a chunk out of the south of Scotland and a strip of the east coast of Wales? It's a silly question of course. But if you were to answer it, you would say we have no political or cultural common ground with those places. But yet, they push to include NI in this new state despite there being a sizable community there who are clearly hostile to such a project.

Anyway, the question I was asking has to do with why Nationalists arbitrarily decide that an Irish state should exactly coincide with the geographical boundary of this island? Why not push for a state that takes a chunk out of the south of Scotland and a strip of the east coast of Wales? It's a silly question of course. But if you were to answer it, you would say we have no political or cultural common ground with those places. But yet, they push to include NI in this new state despite there being a sizable community there who are clearly hostile to such a project.

And I accept that unionists are not warm to the idea of Irish unity. Much in the same respect, that there is a sizable community that is hostile to British rule in the north. I'm quite unsure as to what the difference is. As far as I'm concerned, the issue is set to rest with the Good Friday Agreement. When nationalists become +1 - Unionists will have to accept unification,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Just as a matter of interest, who here is in favour of a united Ireland?I'm talking long term(i.e in 20/25 years or more)not in the next year or so.

No thank you. I quite like the Republic as it is and it'd be a hell of a lot of hassle.
    I also think we're very different culturally at this stage too. Just..no.

And I accept that unionists are not warm to the idea of Irish unity.
    Slightly understated I would say! :) If you want to try to empathize with how the unionist might feel about being a UI,I suggest you imagine how you would feel about all of Ireland being brought back under British rule. The only difference in the situations is that anybody who seriously tried to persuade you of this would be ridiculed for being, well ridiculous. And yet, republicans continue with the nonsense that the Unionists might be persuaded. They may eventually be outnumbered, and hence defeated but they will never willingly throw their lot in with a UI.
    Much in the same respect, that there is a sizable community that is hostile to British rule in the north. I'm quite unsure as to what the difference is.
    There isn't a difference. That's just the thing. And that the political arrangement pre-GFA only addressed the aspirations of one community was a complete failure doesn't seem to deter Nationalists from trying the exact same thing again. The behavior of the Unionist controlled administrations did not help of course, but even if the had behaved better, it was never going to succeed.
    As far as I'm concerned, the issue is set to rest with the Good Friday Agreement. When nationalists become +1 - Unionists will have to accept unification,
    It should be blindingly obvious that when there is a divided community, simply catering for which ever happened to be the largest, just won't work. Power sharing is the only sensible way to go.
    You are shaping up to give rise to the definitive Irish joke. The Irish problem? A sizable number in the community of NI had to allegiance to the political structure of their country. The solution? Big up the problem by creating a new state where an even larger minority will not give allegiance! :rolleyes:
    Can we not just them get on with the power sharing arrangement? For all its faults, surely they are of lesser magnitude than the problems than will inevitably arise if one side or the other insists that they must win in this clash of cultures?

Slightly understated I would say! :) If you want to try to empathize with how the unionist might feel about being a UI,I suggest you imagine how you would feel about all of Ireland being brought back under British rule. The only difference in the situations is that anybody who seriously tried to persuade you of this would be ridiculed for being, well ridiculous. And yet, republicans continue with the nonsense that the Unionists might be persuaded. They may eventually be outnumbered, and hence defeated but they will never willingly throw their lot in with a UI.

No difference with the current situation for the nationalists then, is it? Why should unionists be given special treatment?
    It should be blindingly obvious that when there is a divided community, simply catering for which ever happened to be the largest, just won't work. Power sharing is the only sensible way to go.

I'm more than happy to power-share with unionists in a united Ireland. What you are really suggesting is power-sharing under a British flag is the only solution. I disagree with this. While they share power at a domestic level for a number of issues - they are still ultimately under British control.

• Advertisement

No difference with the current situation for the nationalists then, is it? Why should unionists be given special treatment?
    The unique way in which politics in conducted in the assembly which assures both communities get equal representation will not be duplicated in a united Ireland. If the Unionists have the power to do so, they will use it to perpetually frustrate the workings of whatever Irish parliament emerges (perhaps republicans will continue with the "we can persuade them" myth, but reality will dawn hard and fast if and when a UI comes about :p). If they don't have the power, you will just have replicated 1969, with the roles reversed. No doubt, many republicans might be happy with this "victory", but it will be a decidedly Pyrrhic one! And may come with a terrible price tag.
    I'm more than happy to power-share with unionists in a united Ireland. What you are really suggesting is power-sharing under a British flag is the only solution. I disagree with this. While they share power at a domestic level for a number of issues - they are still ultimately under British control.
    What I would like to see them do is take more and more power from Westminister and administer their own affairs. Of course the will have to find a way to cut the massive budget deficit before they cut loose from Mumsy's apron strings. :)

Compelling a sizable sub group of a population into a political arrangement that they do not want is absolute folly. The folly is compounded by the fact than in the recent history of NI we have a ready made example of exactly such a system which failed absolutely. Isn't that a definition of madness? To try the same thing again, and expect the outcome to be different? :rolleyes:

Advertisement