Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which format for FFXIII?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That was a bit misleading. The game on it's 3 discs takes up less than half of the space it takes up on the blu-ray. I'm sure if there's an optional install on the PS3 it will take up less space.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,337 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That was a bit misleading. The game on it's 3 discs takes up less than half of the space it takes up on the blu-ray. I'm sure if there's an optional install on the PS3 it will take up less space.

I hope there is. Wish there were more optional installs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it could be like Uncharted 2 which I was really impressed with. There's only 1 admittedly very long load when starting up but even when the game changes levels there's no load times what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

The game data takes up only 6.98 GB on a blu-ray without movies and that includes all the uncompressed audio.
    That's incorrect and impossible. Uncompressed audio takes up an incredible amount of space. The 30 odd gigs is video and audio. The PS3 version has uncompressed audio and video, the 360 version has compressed audio and video, we've been through this before earlier in the thread.

Just like Uncharted 2, FFXIII has no data install.

I'm just going by what the article says which says that the video takes up 32.6 GB of space will the game data is just 6.8GB. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm just going by what the article says which says that the video takes up 32.6 GB of space will the game data is just 6.8GB. Could be wrong though.

Crap... Am I out in the cold without a hard drive? Or just in for a noisy experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

efla wrote: »
    Crap... Am I out in the cold without a hard drive? Or just in for a noisy experience?

On 360? I imagine you're just in for a noisy experience, very few games require a HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

Yeah they're reporting it wrong. If you look at the print out of the data on the bluray, you can see by the file type that it's audio and video contained withing the 30 odd gigs, not just video. People on NeoGAF were saying that some compression artefacts were noticable on the 360 version but I'd rather just wait for DF's look at the versions.

The embargo is lifted on the 5th next week apparently, so I suspect DF will have their review up then?

Seems the 1up review might be delayed because of the PS3 problem todya :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Did anyone preorder there copy with gamestop?Im just wondering how much the limited edition with them will be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Anyone know what the bells and whistles edition is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Xluna wrote: »
    Anyone know what the bells and whistles edition is like?

It will come in a cardboard flip open box with a soundtrack, postcards, artbook (just character renders and maybe a story) and a transfer you can iron onto your jeans or something...you pay about 20e for all that.

FFXIII limited collectors edition

I downloaded a rip of the soundtrack from the demo and my god what few tracks that are there are really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The XIII composer is one of the guys on X's score, right?
    If so, I think we'll be onto a winner with this score then. Whoop!

I need some fupping reviews.

noodler wrote: »
    Than what?

Than other 360 games?

Sorry, that wasn't very clear. It uses less space to install than the PS3 version, is what I got from the article.
    I downloaded a rip of the soundtrack from the demo and my god what few tracks that are there are really good!

Ooh, I loves me some good FF music! XII's soundtrack didn't do much for me (though I didn't give it much chance), hopefully XIII will be a bit more striking in the music department.

I'm on record here saying that I hated the FFXII soundtrack but the only thing wrong with it is that it's very low a compared to the other sounds and not very noticeable. I gave it a chance outside of the game and it's excellent.

But back on topic FFXIII looks like it will have a cracking soundtrack.

Eurogamer review and face off will be up on midnight tonight. I'm sure the more reliable 1up review will be up maybe midnight in america or else tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I've gone from being the kind of person who regularly read reviews to someone who will go out of his way to avoid reviews if I know I'm buying a game anyway. The comparison however; I shall be all over that!!

The comparison however; I shall be all over that!!

I imagine it will quickly become the comparison with the most views ever! I can't wait to see it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I've gone from being the kind of person who regularly read reviews to someone who will go out of his way to avoid reviews if I know I'm buying a game anyway. The comparison however; I shall be all over that!!

Same here. Especially when it comes to Gamespot and IGN. You'd swear they were racist or something. They seem to hate JRPGS but even an average FPS or US RPG gets massive scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

I'm surprised at the high review from eurogamer especially after the negative previews.

As for the comparison I'll sum it up for you and what I think.

The only difference in game is the sub HD resolution on the 360 version which is quite noticeable side by side but might not be a big issue elsewhere. Also this results in some shimmering on background and transparencies but really it's barely noticeable even side by side and if you are looking for it. The game actually maintains a higher framrate on the 360. Everything else from textures to alpha transparencies is the same.

The only other big issue is the video quality. It's crystal clear on the PS3 while on the 360 when it's in motion there's some horrible compression artifacts. However I watch the video sequences side by side and this is not noticeable at all since it only happens in motion sequences and isn't all that bad compared to the PS3 although it does look sharper.

Overall it's a lazy port to the 360 but it could have been a lot worse with the only disadvantage is that it's not as sharp as the 720p PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well the Eurogamer review hasnt helped me in wanting to get this :(
    8/10
    ...isnt bad but was really hoping for more. More importantly the actual review has put me off it. To sum it up what im getting is that is a great looking game with a good battle system. But the character building/levelling/equipment has been stripped right down and the game as a whole is very linear. The no towns/shops/villages has caused it to loose alot of the FF magic.

Alot of the other reviews havent been kind either. Gamesmaster
    Game of the Year? Cutscenes of the Year, more like. A Marmite Final Fantasy experience

Was really looking forward to this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

So, occasionally fine, sometimes grim: a statement that effectively sums up how much of Final Fantasy XIII looks on Xbox 360 when compared to the PlayStation 3 game, meaning that if you own both consoles, there really is only one choice when it comes to the purchasing decision.

Reckon I made the right decision. Roll on next Thursday night! Provided it's arrived by then!

I still am looking forward to it as I don't generally trust many reviewer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Gonna be the first ff im not going to buy sadly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Purposefully staying away from reviews. Wanna make up my own mind.

I played FFVII on PS1, I played FFX on PS2 and god damn it I'm gonna play FFXIII on PS3.

• Advertisement

As for the comparison I'll sum it up for you and what I think.

The only difference in game is the sub HD resolution on the 360 version which is quite noticeable side by side but might not be a big issue elsewhere. Also this results in some shimmering on background and transparencies but really it's barely noticeable even side by side and if you are looking for it. The game actually maintains a higher framrate on the 360. Everything else from textures to alpha transparencies is the same.

The only other big issue is the video quality. It's crystal clear on the PS3 while on the 360 when it's in motion there's some horrible compression artifacts. However I watch the video sequences side by side and this is not noticeable at all since it only happens in motion sequences and isn't all that bad compared to the PS3 although it does look sharper.

Overall it's a lazy port to the 360 but it could have been a lot worse with the only disadvantage is that it's not as sharp as the 720p PS3.

I think they summed it up better:

"The rumours are true. Final Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360 isn't anywhere near as impressive as it is on PlayStation 3."

Is this the first time the PS3 has come out on top in a multi-format?

Still not very pushed to buy this. Some kind of Tesco 30e offer would sway me though!

Advertisement