Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

30 DC fast-charging points will be located on motorways by end 2011

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

particularly given that a full recharge can take 20 hours according to the car's article on wikipedia

That has to be in the US (110V). 8 hours is the max here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Aidan1 wrote: »
    That has to be in the US (110V). 8 hours is the max here.

8 hours would be borderline in my opinion. It would cover you for overnight charges and for charging during Work (charge while working 9-5 etc.) but it's still way too long for any sort of cross country driving.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Of all the electric cars I think the Chevy Volt (Or here the Opel Ampera) is the best as it combines the best of both worlds.

A 30-50 mile all electric range, and then a normal motor engine, that either runs to charge the battery in most cases, or directly drives the wheels in a minority of cases, for when you go beyond that (300+ miles)

So for the vast majority (90%+) of the time you use the electric motor, and the odd time for going galway to dublin or whatever the petrol motor kicks in.

No range anxiety or anything.

A number of people have pointed this car out and it seems to get ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The problem with the Volt and the Leaf is that the cars are unaffordable without significant subsidies. Better to concentrate on high-efficiency normal cars and extending electrification of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Peteee wrote: »
    Of all the electric cars I think the Chevy Volt (Or here the Opel Ampera) is the best as it combines the best of both worlds.

A 30-50 mile all electric range, and then a normal motor engine, that either runs to charge the battery in most cases, or directly drives the wheels in a minority of cases, for when you go beyond that (300+ miles)

So for the vast majority (90%+) of the time you use the electric motor, and the odd time for going galway to dublin or whatever the petrol motor kicks in.

No range anxiety or anything.

A number of people have pointed this car out and it seems to get ignored.

It has also been pointed out that these are hybrids, not electric vehicles. Hybrids are grand, electric vehicles are a long way off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

The Leaf is an EV..The Ampera is a BEV..It's an EV, with what I like to call a "just-in-case" motor engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Does anyone know where I can find some current information on where these fast charging stations will be located? and when they'll be built? Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Does anyone know where I can find some current information on where these fast charging stations will be located? and when they'll be built? Thanks!

Dont worry the smart economy will deliver an app for that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Dont worry the smart economy will deliver an app for that :P

As long as it's an Android app I'll be happy ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

eia340600 wrote: »
    The Leaf is an EV..The Ampera is a BEV..It's an EV, with what I like to call a "just-in-case" motor engine.

I don't consider a car where the bulk power source is petrol to be an electric car. Just because it has a bigger battery than other hybrids doesn't prevent it being a hybrid.

I'm aware the motor runs a generator rather than powers the driveshaft, but that's how Irish Rail's GM locomotives work and nobody claims they're electric...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't consider a car where the bulk power source is petrol to be an electric car.
    Yer not being "smart and green" so :D

I'm aware the motor runs a generator rather than powers the driveshaft, but that's how Irish Rail's GM locomotives work and nobody claims they're electric...

They would if the trains had batteries that were powered from the mains and where the bulk power source was the battery.The point is that the car can run exclusively on batteries.No fuel need ever be added.It is an electric car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They would if the trains had batteries that were powered from the mains and where the bulk power source was the battery.The point is that the car can run exclusively on batteries.No fuel need ever be added.It is an electric car.

...but its mass fuel source is petrol. Hence its a petrol car.

...but its mass fuel source is petrol. Hence its a petrol car.

It's vast fuel source isn't petrol.It's electricity from the mains, stored in a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

The volt (ampera) is a plug in hybrid. It gets a small amount of energy from the mains (as little as 25 miles if you put the hammer down) from the battery and the rest from petrol. The engine does not recharge the battery when it goes flat but puts in what the call a maintenance charge. ie doesnt let it drain too far. Only the mains charger can bring it back up. Oh and here's the kicker : lets say you run out of petrol just as you pull into the driveway. "No big deal" you think "i'll charge it overnight and fill up in the morning". Won't drive.

Imho the current mainstream ev offerings are a)overpriced b)not desirable as cars regardless of range etc.

The fast chargers are a good idea. But will they actually happen? Every house or business in the country can support a 32amp 240v circuit (cooker). That will charge a typical ev traction battery in 2-3 hours tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

Both FG and Labour had electric cars in their manifestos yet there is no mention in the PfG.

The EU 2020 targets to which we are committed, requires that 10% of energy used in transport be sourced from renewable sources (biofuel/ electric cars)
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:140:0016:0062:en:PDF

the current strategy is 2yrs long and already funded for this year. The cost is 50m with 20m from the ESB and 30m in tax rebates assuming the target 6,000 electric cars are sold.

Assuming Ireland does ramp up wind to provide 40% of electricity consumed, then the intermittency of wind may match well with people leaving their cars charging overnight. EVs in Ireland are an experiment.

For those who see the price as a barrier, and don't see battery prices falling fast enough - fear not. The simple solution is to pop up VRT on normal cars to the level where EVs are price competitive again. I would imagine Denmark will sell al lot of EVs this year given that their version of VRT is so high that EVs are comparatively low priced.

Was in France last week - petrol was €1.67/litre

It's vast fuel source isn't petrol.It's electricity from the mains, stored in a battery.

Not once you go more than 30km or so.

Its not an electric car.

Not once you go more than 30km or so.

Its not an electric car.

Average milage of an Irish car is 16,894km. 30km a day provides for 10950km..So, on average, it would be more electric than petrol.

Advertisement