Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Arrived in the post this morning from amazon with super saver delivery. Installing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

What do you do when a much stronger country than you declares war on you?

Any fast track way to fend them off/counter them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

keane2097 wrote: »
    What do you do when a much stronger country than you declares war on you?

Any fast track way to fend them off/counter them?

Try to ally with any city states bordering your enemy. They'll enter the war on your side and at the very least distract your opponent a bit.

Don't take the fight to your enemy. If you've got a much smaller force then you're better off staying in your own territory. Fortify melée units on hills and ranged units behind them. Your units heal a good bit faster in your own land so you should be able to hold out against enemy attacks. Just let him wear himself out against your defences. After you've taken out most of his attacking forces you can send some fast units into his empire to pillage some tiles. He'll get tired of a war he's not winning after a while and you can then look for peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Branoic wrote: »
    Don't take the fight to your enemy. If you've got a much smaller force then you're better off staying in your own territory. Fortify melée units on hills and ranged units behind them. Your units heal a good bit faster in your own land so you should be able to hold out against enemy attacks. Just let him wear himself out against your defences. After you've taken out most of his attacking forces you can send some fast units into his empire to pillage some tiles. He'll get tired of a war he's not winning after a while and you can then look for peace.
    Or even more fun, you can send in a bunch of workers protected by a couple of units and build roads all over the place. He'll have to pay the maintenance cost for all roads contained in his territory.

Also in relation to terrain, don't forget there's a penalty for attacking across rivers, so make sure if you have to have units on flat terrain, always sit just across a river from where your enemy are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Do you actually have the iron? In this civ specific resources like iron and horses directly link to units so you use 1 iron for every legionnaire etc and you can't have more units unless you have more iron. I had thesame problem with oil and battleships
    thanks for that so simple yet i missed it much appreciated, workers are still accidentaly cutting off cities though , and the workers are fond of sea voyages to my colonies far away , they get killed a bit.

• Advertisement

thanks for that so simple yet i missed it much appreciated, workers are still accidentaly cutting off cities though
    I've come across a bug every so often where it says 'trade route broken to x', even though the route is fine. Is it that that's happening to you or is the route actually being broken?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Blowfish wrote: »
    I've come across a bug every so often where it says 'trade route broken to x', even though the route is fine. Is it that that's happening to you or is the route actually being broken?

I've been getting that quite a bit today, hadn't noticed it beforehand. Although each city still has the trade icon.

Playing as the Russians at the moment. Their special ability is pretty class. Double the resources from iron, horses and uranium also extra production from those hexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I've been getting that quite a bit today, hadn't noticed it beforehand. Although each city still has the trade icon.
    some of mine were actually some werent

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How do I upgrade military units?also the A.I is overly aggresive (sp?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Oh dear, game just arrived from Amazon this morning, and already sunk 7 hours into it.

And bear in mind I only woke up at 1 in the afternoon...
    How do I upgrade military units?

I'm interested in figuring this out as well. Either that or Warriors don't upgrade to Spearmen like they used to :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

car is in garage so staying at mates near work apparently arrived this morning at home, i wont be there till thurs. killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Oh dear, game just arrived from Amazon this morning, and already sunk 7 hours into it.

And bear in mind I only woke up at 1 in the afternoon...

I'm interested in figuring this out as well. Either that or Warriors don't upgrade to Spearmen like they used to :/
    There's a little star icon down in the bottom left, warriors upgrade to swordsman.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    They upgrade to swordsmen, which need iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yea, I figured as much. I guess I'm still too used to the old Civ IV upgrade path :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jazzme

I like the way Civ 5 included a lot of unsung Civs in this game. Like the one's in south east asia and the early kingdoms of Africa which in their time rivalled ancient egypt.Might buy one in gamestop this week but worried I might get addicted to it like I did when I played Civ 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

In this civ specific resources like iron and horses directly link to units so you use 1 iron for every legionnaire etc and you can't have more units unless you have more iron.

Really? That sound like a load of b@llix. I can understand that its probably there to stop civs developing super armies if they control a lot of iron but in a game of possibilities should be able to built as many 'iron' units as you want one per iron resource at a time.

With all the changes from Civ 4 Im starting to loose interest in buying this game.

Really? That sound like a load of b@llix. I can understand that its probably there to stop civs developing super armies if they control a lot of iron but in a game of possibilities should be able to built as many 'iron' units as you want one per iron resource at a time.

With all the changes from Civ 4 Im starting to loose interest in buying this game.

Can't understand the problem here.

You have a tiny sliver of iron and you reckon you should be able to outfit an entire legion with it? Makes no sense imo.

Well it kind of does make sense cause it's not a sliver of iron it's an iron MINE. For the most part a continuous source of iron, but the idea in the game is that you mine some iron, make a unit, then can't make any more til they die and you retrieve and recast the iron. Would you buy a family sized pack of teabags and then restrict your family to taking turns making a single cup of tea until the previous one had been drunk? Nah! You'd make all the tea you want pouring one cup at a time per kettle until the teabags ran out.

The one unit per tile makes having a **** load of units pretty much redundant.

• Advertisement

I like one unit per tile I think its probably the best change and will massively improve the game but its still a restriction that doesnt make much sense to me. What if your at war on three fronts and you only have one iron mine. One iron unit to defend all your cities and fend off three pronged attack? Are resources like iron much more prevalent in Civ 5? That would at least offset the restriction a bit.

I like one unit per tile I think its probably the best change and will massively improve the game but its still a restriction that doesnt make much sense to me. What if your at war on three fronts and you only have one iron mine. One iron unit to defend all your cities and fend off three pronged attack? Are resources like iron much more prevalent in Civ 5? That would at least offset the restriction a bit.

You can make more than one iron-based unit with only one iron mine though.

Like, you accumulate the iron over time, and use 1 unit of it per iron-based soldier you produce...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I t makes city states more important too if they have a resource you require, you can either become allies with them and they will send you their resources or you can wipe them out but this will have consequences with their allies or other city states.

I think the system works very well and adds to the strategy of the game.

The way I read that other post it seemed to me they were saying you could only produce and maintain one iron unit per mine. Maybe I took it up wrong. If its one unit per unit of iron produce from a mine then thats ok. Like if you have one mine that produces 5 units of iron and youre restricted to making 5 iron based units until 1 dies.

The way I read that other post it seemed to me they were saying you could only produce and maintain one iron unit per mine. Maybe I took it up wrong. If its one unit per unit of iron produce from a mine then thats ok. Like if you have one mine that produces 5 units of iron and youre restricted to making 5 iron based units until 1 dies.
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Each (mined) Iron deposit produces either 2, 4 or 6 Iron 'resources'. It's one unit per resource.

Right I get it, so each mine has a cap of how many iron based units it can support at any one time. Still not as freeing as I would have liked but I suppose given the grand scale of the time line you could chalk it up soldiers in the unit dying, being replaced and new armour/weapons being made for them. I suppose it adds an interesting dynamic to unit creation strategy and prevents one civ pummeling another with advanced units. Thanks for the explanation.

It does hold back some civs from running riot - for eg the Romans and their legions.

You can still produce plenty of units such as spearmen, archers or pikemen without restriction. (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Right I get it, so each mine has a cap of how many iron based units it can support at any one time. Still not as freeing as I would have liked but I suppose given the grand scale of the time line you could chalk it up soldiers in the unit dying, being replaced and new armour/weapons being made for them. I suppose it adds an interesting dynamic to unit creation strategy and prevents one civ pummeling another with advanced units. Thanks for the explanation.

There are social policies you can adopt that increase the amount of strategic resources you get from each mine. So if you're a warmonger there's build options that allow you to make more out of your resources etc.

Does anybody know how you withdraw an open borders agreement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Don't think you can, just need to wait for it to end.

Advertisement