Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone know if Civ5 supports dual screens and if so in what capacity? Googling doesn't seems to bring back anything concrete. This seems like the perfect type of game to take of advantage of a dual screen setup. Maybe have an overview map on one side with current stats and main gameplay on the other screen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

My PC is creaking a bit now at 2 1/2 years old but the game runs well at 1680 x 1050 with most options on medium. I like it a lot, will take a bit of getting used to but looking very promising.

There's a ridiculous amount of pissing and moaning going on at civfanatics, people seem to forget the state Civ 4 was in when that was released.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Demo is epic. Love what they've done to it.

EDIT: Should also say, getting about 90FPS on my rig completely maxed out

i7 860 @ 3.5ghz
    8gb DDR3 RAM
    GTX 295
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My PC is creaking a bit now at 2 1/2 years old but the game runs well at 1680 x 1050 with most options on medium. I like it a lot, will take a bit of getting used to but looking very promising.

There's a ridiculous amount of pissing and moaning going on at civfanatics, people seem to forget the state Civ 4 was in when that was released.

What specs you got?my machine is just over 2yrs old too.

What specs you got?my machine is just over 2yrs old too.

AMD 3 GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, ATI 9600 512MB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

All I can say for now is i really like the aesthetics!

Will get stuck in to a full campaign later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

AMD 3 GHz dual core, 4 GB RAM, ATI 9600 512MB

Have you tried canyourunit.com? Civ v is listed there

Are you a regular there? I post in the off-topic section only.

Am waiting until Friday to get it - I am a bit busy at the minute to try the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭gunner_twotone

Oh god!!!! in 27 hours I shall be palying it!

There's still alot of talk about the system requirments of the game, im terrified that my rig will run Civ 5 at a good speed but with Civ 1 graphics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭BKtje

Have you tried canyourunit.com? Civ v is listed there
    I tried it and failed as it belives that my cpu is less than 1.8ghz even though in the result it states i have 2.4. I'll just roll my eyes and start my pre download :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

BKtje wrote: »
    I tried it and failed as it belives that my cpu is less than 1.8ghz even though in the result it states i have 2.4. I'll just roll my eyes and start my pre download :p

That sites crap, way off with specs for most people

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I got Civ V demo working on my cheap laptop:

1.5ghz core 2
    2GB RAM
    8400GS M
    Windows XP SP3

Got it at lowest settings on low resolution. Running at about 20fps with occassional dips to 15-16fps. Very playable for a strategy game by the way :pac: Time taken between turns takes an age though.

I've noticed from the demo end of turn times take considerably longer in early game than any of the previous games. I'm a bit worried that they'll take an age come later game.

Are you a regular there? I post in the off-topic section only.

Am waiting until Friday to get it - I am a bit busy at the minute to try the demo.

No I only post the odd time, usually just read the strategy guides etc once the game's been out for a while. The General Discussion forum around the time of a release is a cess pool of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Game unlocks at midnight, for any who weren't aware.. :D

Anyone with the full game got any comments on the diplomacy and/or AI? It's getting a bashing in some reviews on these areas.

Pre-loaded the full game now. Not sure of the diplomacy to be honest. Dont think it will bother me anyway. The demo showed that the game is still extremely in-depth and intuitive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭BULLER

Played my first campagn there last night - I'm officially in love. WHAT A GAME!!
    The interface is so smooth and smart. Really refined feel to everything. No religion :D (Hated it in Civ4!)
    The battle stratagies are much more immersive. I didn't think they'd be able to get me off Civ3 after the last iteration didnt do it for me; now they have!
    Best anology for me is Windows.
    Civ3 = XP, fast + effective. :)
    Civ4 = Vista, nice gfx but buggy and sluggish :rolleyes:
    Civ5 = 7, gfx + fast + effective! :D

One more turn. . . .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loved the demo,pity it ended at 100 turns,roll on tomorrow,hopefully I can scrape the funds together to buy it :/

Have the retail edition here but won't let me install until 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Just dispatched from Amazon:D Should arrive early next week. Can't stand the demo, just building up a nice civilization then BAM! game over... so frustrating!!

Arghhhhh looks like another hour........

God damnit c'mooooon

Still not working for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Still not working for me :mad:
    Restart Steam. The button will then change from pre-load to play.

Blowfish wrote: »
    Restart Steam. The button will then change from pre-load to play.

Must have restarted it 10 times....... seems a lot of people on steam forums are having the same issue with the boxed copy

At last......:)

yeah was working for me too, but eh... waiting on F1 2010 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Have the retail edition here but won't let me install until 12.

Did it come with a key? If so you might have been able to plug it in to steam and do the pre-load. Decrypting still takes awhile though :/

I had a short 2 hour game this morning on Chieftain, the AI didn't do much, Gandi is sitting in a single city churning out wonders, Elizabeth seems to be bipolar, likes me one turn and cancels our treaties a few turns later and it looks like the Russians are the only real competition on the continent. There where a load of city states taking up valuable city building room though :/ Have to wonder if they're really worth it but this game is quite different to the previous one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Mantel wrote: »
    There where a load of city states taking up valuable city building room though :/ Have to wonder if they're really worth it but this game is quite different to the previous one.
    Some are some aren't, in my case one city state in particular is incredibly useful.

I started off on Warlord (still pretty easy at that level) as the Romans. Since both unique Roman units depend on iron it's a pretty important resource for me, but I only have 2 in my own territory. I discovered soon enough though that one of the city states on the other side of the continent had no less than 8 in it's territory. It'd take far too much of my army/resources to wade the whole way across the continent to it, so I just became allies with them to get the iron and pumped out a load more Legions, leading me to be able to absolutely destroy all my neighbours.

They also come in quite handy as buffer states. At one point the French and Chinese both declared war on me (a good bit prior to my iron windfall) as I had been lazy with keeping up a decent sized army. I became allies with 3 of the city states that were sitting directly between me and the French to the south who had a larger army than me. The city states immediately declared war on the French/Chinese too. Between them and one or two of my units, we were able rebuff the French attacks to the South, which let me focus my main army (only about 4 units) on the Chinese to the East.

Advertisement