Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller Weddings - Channel Four

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

df1985 wrote: »

Thanks for that dude your a star :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Bastards have blocked it in 'my' region.
    Bastards. Even the YouTube clip is blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

"Not in a million, thousand, trillion year"

I think I had him for Maths in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

The children seem to be brainwashed into following the same life choices their parents made and their grandparents made, great-grandparents and so on. It dosen't seem like feminism has made much inroads into that culture.

Well, to be fair, some of those are the same people......

• Advertisement

Grand. We heard you the first time.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Grand. We heard you the first time.
    Sorry, dodgy connection made me post twice.
    Actually, I'm not sorry at all, you relax will ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭highdef

I found it a bit odd that they said that they are entirely self sufficient and don't need anybody's help. Then why do traveller's constantly moan about not getting services such as bin collections, housing etc etc but don't pay anything back in taxes?

Also, why do they need a hotel for their weddings when they are entirely self sufficient. If they can afford to buy top of the range Audi's, Volkswagens, Range Rovers, Toyota Hiaces :P, then they can afford to buy a marquee and arrange to have the reception in their own site - there won't be any problems then. And it would make sure that there are no unwanted interactions with the "country" folk :rolleyes:

Sorry, dodgy connection made me post twice.
    Actually, I'm not sorry at all, you relax will ya!

I'm not the one playing with your connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

highdef wrote: »
    I found it a bit odd that they said that they are entirely self sufficient and don't need anybody's help. Then why do traveller's constantly moan about not getting services such as bin collections, housing etc etc but don't pay anything back in taxes?
    Not to mention all the social welfare payments, schools, roads, halting sites, Pavee Point, etc., all funded by the Exchequer and all upon which the noble independent itinerant depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Enough inverted racism lads....ya heard it from the horses mouth.....we can call them Irish cu*ts......just don't call them pikeys....so...all together now....piiiiiikkkkkeeeeyyyyyysssssssss..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

The average engagement age is 14....

Sick sick sick

"They have the highest morals, blah blah blah"

Then why do they dress like skanks?

And the fake tan, I think I spotted Stacey from Eastenders in there somewhere (hey that rhymed!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Really enjoyed that.

Wouldn't have the greatest opinion of travellers myself but that program would make you think. Some good ones, some bad ones like everyone else.

Probably the most positive portrayal of travellers I've seen on TV.

The girl at the end did seem really unsure of what she'd gotten herself into but I'm sure that happens at "settled" weddings all the time too. Felt for her.

Everyone in the program seemed decent enough people.

Some of the clothes are amazingly awful though!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Demonique wrote: »
    T

And the fake tan, I think I spotted Stacey from Eastenders in there somewhere (hey that rhymed!)

No wonder one of 'em was called Fanta

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Felt sorry for the girl at the end that got married to Robbie Keane. Although he travels around that much from club to club it'd be a life that she'd be well accustomed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'd agree with Finty, there's the usual stereotypical comments around here but it did give you an insight into the travellers culture (and that's all it is, I do not abide the claims they're an ethnic race). Some of the girls were quite genuine and you could see that the tradition is a huge thing to them, even though it appears that they may not like it deep down, you did feel sorry for that 22 year old girl, she seemed quite a nice person.

I had to admire some of the fancy cars there though, I wonder will the inland revenue be around the area this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

So they can never marry or date a "settled" person...the kids arent allowed mix with non-travellers because they'll be learning "bad ways"..i think inbreeding has made them simple minded as well as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well I have to say it made me look at travellers in a different light most of them came across very well, it was a well made programme but that last girl Joan was a peach if you were in a disco and saw her how many guys here would be heading in her direction.

I hope that things work out for her, its a pity that we were not told where they went or how they are getting on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Dammit, no way of watching this here.

Degsy wrote: »
    So they can never marry or date a "settled" person...the kids arent allowed mix with non-travellers because they'll be learning "bad ways"..i think inbreeding has made them simple minded as well as racist.
    And they can't eat after midnight, get wet, and they're afraid of bright lights too.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    ...that last girl Joan was a peach if you were in a disco and saw her how many guys here would be heading in her direction.
    You wouldn't see her in a nightclub though.

She was a good looking girl though (in her normal day clothes that is), but as soon as she put on her traveller uniform she looked in bits.

It was hard not to feel sorry for her. Imagine having to deal with a new husband, sex for the first time, leaving home, giving up work all in one day.

There's a reason why "Country Folk" gave up that way of living years ago.
    Storm 10 wrote: »
    I hope that things work out for her, its a pity that we were not told where they went or how they are getting on.
    Probably has about six kids and is living in a halting site somewhere in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

did they all copy Jordan?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    did they all copy Jordan?
    Chicken or the Egg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Jaysus Liz, give them a bit of credit !

• Registered Users Posts: 85,911 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ok Jordan copied them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Now cant believe I'm the only lad to notice it....did you see the amount of hotties in that video! That dancing scene at the start of video looked like a Rap video! Them wimmins have some bodies. Shame all the hot ones are not in general circulation it would do the integration of settled and traveling societies wonder to let them intermingle :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone got a link to this to watch online?

Anyone got a link to this to watch online?
    Page 2, Last post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you mean like the two links that were posted earlier in the thread?

no, i don't think anyone does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Now cant believe I'm the only lad to notice it....did you see the amount of hotties in that video! That dancing scene at the start of video looked like a Rap video! Them wimmins have some bodies. Shame all the hot ones are not in general circulation it would do the integration of settled and traveling societies wonder to let them intermingle :P

Even in Limerick some of dem traveller birds are fine!, not incl. the clothes...but sure you'd be taking them off anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

ha ha yeah judging by the doc a settled lad has ZERO chance of that unless you want her bare knuckle boxing owl lad kicking in the door!

Advertisement