Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goodbye Willie (O'Dea resigns as Minister)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

InisMor wrote: »
    I'm getting a dead link there. Those the "2" mean this is the altered document?

Anyway, as I was saying - the affidavits aren't really the issue as no perjury was committed.

It is O'Dea's behaviour that is the issue - even Quinlivan made no mention of the affidavits - the issue is actually what he said in the first place.

Nice spinning.Who says that no perjury was committed! Willie himself.And hes bound to say that isn,t he.I say lets let the courts make a call on whether he perjured himself or not.Not you know himself and his FF cronies

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sh|te. From what I've seen, he didn't take anything lying down, regarding the Defense Forces. I hope no weak spined nimwit takes over the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Brian Cowen 1 Green Party 0

Having forced his old pal willie to resign, Cowen has prevented the greens from climbing back onto the high moral ground.

Note to the green party: you can still withdraw your support from fianna fail.

Will Lenihan be the new M.o.D ?

Is that the relegation play-off? Hardly a cup final or even a mid-table clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Willie had to go plain and simple.But it's awful news for Limerick we have mass unemployement, regeneration on hold and just massieve problems and Willie did stand up for us.Now nobody in cabinet has any interest in us unless Peter Power takes office which is quite worrying.Crushing Blow For Limerick but great day for Justice....Btw i hate Fianna Fail but Willie does some great work for people down here so he gets my respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭TrixIrl

O'Dea, O'Leary & Lee for Govt!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Willie does some great work for people down here so he gets my respect.

Such as ?

Brilliant bit on Vincent Browne at the mo where Alan English has reminded people of everything promised to Limerick by Willie & FF re regeneration, jobs and Gardai ...all promised immediately prior to the last election....

.....all reneged on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

While no one else was looking the govt came that close to falling! :eek:

This is a long post from someone called Tommy O'Brien but jawdropping if true.
    Today was a dizzying day politically. It was obvious that Fianna Fáil's attempt to gazzump the Greens through bringing forward the motion, so that they wouldn't be subjected to longterm pressure, had backfired badly. The greens were bitterly split. A couple of their TDs and senators were disgusted at the way Gormley, true to form, had caved into Fianna Fáil.

The day was a fast mover. It started with a "will he be forced to resign?" By lunchtime it was more a case of "Will he be gone by next Tuesday when the Dáil reassembles next week?" By 4pm it was a case of 'Can he even last out today?" By 5pm it was a case of "He is going. Will it be before the 6pm or the 9pm news?"

While this was all going on, the government nearly collapsed in a vote on the revised estimates. They were to be taken without debate, and so a formality. But then the opposition decided to play hardball with that too, saying that they were going to call for a full vote rather than allow them to pass on the nod. The result came in 61 Tá and 60 Níl. A government majority of one was a shock. It was an electronic vote. Enda Kenny then called a "walk through" vote which is often called when a result is knife-edge. The walk-through produced 63:63 as more voted. The Ceann Comhairle had to use his casting vote, which as usual he based on Speaker Denison's Ruling (in other words, a speaker of a parliament should cast a vote that is not definitive. That means that the House can vote a different way in the future and overturn it. A no vote usually kills a bill or budget stone dead, so it can't be overturned. A yes vote keeps an issue alive allowing a later vote to change it).

I am amazed that the media don't understand the importance of what happened. Fianna Fáil spun that the defeat would not be a big issue. That is untrue. An estimates defeat is seen universally as a "loss of supply" of funds from the exchequer. A loss of supply normally means either a head of government resigns or seeks a dissolution. It was that serious. They could have tried to re-run it but that would have led to an outcry and accusations of breaching the constitution.

The irony was that if George Lee had no resigned he would have given the opposition 64 votes, the government would have fallen and we would tonight be in an election campaign. I know one poster did suggest that Lee's presence would have made no difference. It would have. The problem was that a lot of TDs were awol, including Willie O'Dea, Chris Andrews, Tom Kitt and others. (Tom was at a funeral.) So Lee's presence would not have been balanced by a pairing.

One other striking feature was the ineffectiveness of the current Ceann Comhairle. The Order of Business was a mess, where yet again this week Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore were impressive (they both have had a very good week, Kenny in particular a remarkably good one. He said he was going to "be himself" and less cautious. If the last week is anything to go by, the "being himself" Enda, or as Miriam Lord says, the "real Enda" as opposed to "continuity Enda" is seriously good in debates. Fianna Fáilers joked that he hadn't just had his third shredded wheat, but a fourth! They need to raid his kitchen quickly and hide his shredded wheat!) and Coughlan as bad as ever. O'Donoghue had to resign, correctly, over the amount of money he squandered. But he was actually a very good chairman of the Dáil - after that infamous first day disaster! - with a way to calm down things. The current guy is second rate in comparison and everything falls to pieces.

Overall it was yet another remarkable day. A minister forced to quit. A government coming to the brink of defeat in a Dáil vote. One week ago the government looked safe for the next two years. Now everything is up in the air. The Greens are split badly. Fine Gael and Labour had an exceptional week, as did Caoimhin Ó Caolain yesterday. With Fianna Fáil likely to be out of power at the next election, and Willie O'Dea already in his late 50s, the odds on him coming back to cabinet again are quite low. By the next time FF gets back into power he will be close to retirement age.
    He seems to know what he's talking about. Feck G Lee if it's true though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

RTE Radio 1 Drivetime were strongly hinting at Conor Lenehan as replacement, this was hours before the announced resignation. Strange he resigned on a Thursday, no Dail sitting tomorrow???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

IrishTonyO wrote: »

From paragraph 10:
    The remarks which I made to the journalist were, I believe, remarks which I was fully entitled to make as a public representative

Cowen said yesterday that he believed O'Dea was acting in a "private capacity".

The mind boggles...

From paragraph 10:

Cowen said yesterday that he believed O'Dea was acting in a "private capacity".

The mind boggles...

Jeez, they're starting to sound like SF and/or the IRA!

"We don't mind if you break the law as long as it's in a 'private capacity'"

Mind you, objectionable as that is, the fact is that trying to influence and election result is NOT a "private capacity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ashill5

Fianna Fail have lost of one their Great Spinner's of Bull****e. But he was stupid to think he could come out with such statements and get away with them. It just shows how out of touch the politicans are.It nice to see Micheal Martin out of hibernation again.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

Willie had to go plain and simple.But it's awful news for Limerick we have mass unemployement, regeneration on hold and just massieve problems and Willie did stand up for us.Now nobody in cabinet has any interest in us unless Peter Power takes office which is quite worrying.Crushing Blow For Limerick but great day for Justice....Btw i hate Fianna Fail but Willie does some great work for people down here so he gets my respect.

Ehhh...

Limerick has 'mass unemployment,' 'regeneration on hold,' and 'just massive problems...'

And WHO was your government representative through all those terrible years again???

Foot, gun, shoot...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

so will this story just fizzle out or will it rattle on for a few more days..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

oh and what i should have added is what is it going to take for the Green Part/Gormley to finally say enough is enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭dunworth1

i would rather have willie.

then anyone from the other partys

i really hope that enda isnt going to be the next Taoiseach because if you think things are bad now wait till that edjit gets there. then were done for.

if it was up to me everyone of the politicians in this country would be sacked
    because we need people that will actuality do their job and not just moan at each other. when things need to be done now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Willie O' Dea Down, Mary Harney to Go!!! : D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Thanks for nothing Willie and good riddance. You've managed to bring gutter politics to a whole new level.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

dunworth1 wrote: »

Really? Someone who lies under oath and makes a mockery of other parties past in his statement to the house as to reasons for why his confidence should be voted for? Yeah, Willie is perfect.
    i really hope that enda isnt going to be the next Taoiseach because if you think things are bad now wait till that edjit gets there. then were done for.

So far we have a leader who has done an awful lot of nothing. Where is he? Absolutely useless and is dragging his whole party down - not leadership material at all and simply cant do the job the way he should. With Enda, well at least he is bringing in a team that actually wants to bring change into this country and stop us from being screwed over. I would think he would do a better job then Cowen and interact more with the people especially in a time of crisis.

We will be far from "done for" and will end up being in a better position. Its Kennys time to shine and show us what he can do as leader, and I think his new form seems to be indicating good signs and if thats the way it is, long may it continue and bring in a proper leader with a good work ethic ready to actually do the job he is both elected to do and assigned by his party to lead.
    because we need people that will actuality do their job and not just moan at each other. when things need to be done now.

The whole purpose of opposition is pretty much complaining about the governments method of doing things. If you also disagree, vote for a party that is bringing in change that you want. Thats how it all works. Expect opposition to moan but also expect them to counter propose ideas that work. A healthy balance is whats needed - you can knock the governments ideas but at least come forward with your solid ideas.

This country has never really tried another party to lead us. I think now more then ever we need to decide what party offers us the best hope and allow them prove to us they can indeed do a much better job and put their moans into something constructive for the good of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭Goose81

Are you bloody serious,this man is the biggest creepy snake in the government today.I had a beer when he resigned.What an utter piece of ....

How he was ever a barrister is beyond me,he cant even speak English,bumbling fool!

Your location and his,says it all really.
    Jobs for the boys,etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

O'Dea quits after the Greens get their scalp

While he continues as a TD, Mr O'Dea will receive a "golden parachute" payment of almost €100,000 in compensation for losing his cabinet post.

This is absolutely dispicable!! Why the f*ck is he getting any money whatsoever? Why is he allowed stay on as TD when the rationale for him resigning as Minister is so serious?

I was happy to hear he resigned, but the fact that he's getting a payoff and getting to keep his cushy TD position makes things so much worse. :mad:

That's it, I'm leaving this country because it's DOOMED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

John_Mc wrote: »

O'Dea quits after the Greens get their scalp

This is absolutely dispicable!! Why the f*ck is he getting any money whatsoever? Why is he allowed stay on as TD when the rationale for him resigning as Minister is so serious?

I was happy to hear he resigned, but the fact that he's getting a payoff and getting to keep his cushy TD position makes things so much worse. :mad:

That's it, I'm leaving this country because it's DOOMED.

You have to bu ****ing ****ting me!!! WTF!!! 100k payment for 'losing' his position as minister. Cronyism at its best.

Methinks you are right, This ****-hole is a sinking ship. Time to abandon ship...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

He altered the affidavit, thus avoiding perjury - or so I'm told by somebody qualified in the field. Kenny was wrong to claim that yesterday. That is why there was no mention of perjury in the news today.

Besides, perjury wasn't the issue here. He really came down to what he said in the tape itself and how he handled the issue yesterday and on the radio.

No it came down to the fact he gave false evidence in a sworn affidavit to the second highest court in the land.
    A court which decided not to give an injunction to a defamed politican whom o'dea had spread vicous rumours of him engaging in criminal activity.
    AFAIK he did not alter the affidavit, he only admitted it was wrong.
    Perhaps someone can correct me on this ?
    Yes, FG, etc, raised the whole issue, but Quinlivan should have been enough of a man to say the whole case was settled. Instead say a chance to get some attention. He seems a right twank.

It is is obvious that FG were looking to distract people from the whole George Lee thing. WThe case ended minths ago.

No it is o'dea and his supporters who are the right twanks. :D

He insulted people (dragging in Liam Adams into the debate) even on Wednesday evening as he fought for his own survival.
    As he shouted across at Kenny he hung himself further by declaring the Gardaí had told him about these so called criminal activities.

Then he went on radio yesterday saying it was off the record and affectively blaming the paper for printing these remarks without checking out more sources.

It is not up to Quinlivan to decide if lying to the high court in sworn affidavit should be allowed just because someone is a government minister.

So really you have no problem with a liar acting as our minister of defence ?
    True, we do not know the contents of any of the affidavits. But if perjury was the issue then it would have been said today. It wasn't. Even when Sean O'Rourke was roasting O'Dea on the radio, O'Dea pointed out that no perjury was committed and O'Rourke did not contradict him - which he would have.

The issue at hand was O'Dea's behaviour in the original interview and how he handled himself yesterday and today - plus both the FG and the Green's recent embarrassments.

Keep spinning the sh**e good man. :rolleyes:

Ladies and genltemen here we have prime example of what is wrong with this country and why our economy and banking system lies in ruin. :mad::mad:

They would rather have willie, a liar and a character assassin than anyone from the other parties.
    Their measure of a man appears to be not if he is honest and of good character, but how low he can crawl and how well he drag everyone into the gutter. :rolleyes:

We are already done for thanks to the likes of willie and his apologists both inside and outside of the Dáil.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Good grief, this country just sickens me.

Receiving a payoff for being a lying, deceitful disgrace? That's pure and utter corruption, morally if not legally.

And listening to him spout utter s***e about him having to resign so as not to take the government's focus off the real issues, anyone would think he's a martyr, doing the country a huge favour (not to say that he isn't, just he's not doing the country a favour in the way he likes to let on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Listen to the full interview here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=****

Eh, SPAM anyone?? :rolleyes:

Goose81 wrote: »
    Your location and his,says it all really.

Please don't tar us all with the same brush!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Any point asking why we need a Minister for Defense anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Any point asking why we need a Minister for Defense anyway?

Uhm, well we have armed forces so... UN commitments, IRA, INLA, UVF, LVF etc....

They may have gone away but, ya know, have they really.

I feel a lot better about having the defense forces that I would about not having them.

John_Mc wrote: »

Who the f**k decided that someone who had to resign (should have been fired) because of their own actions gets paid this ?

:mad:

I'm almost tempted to sit on my ass doing nothing for 4 years just so that I don't have to contribute to this €100,000.

Yup, I'd starve, freeze and be homeless and probably die, but I should have ABSOLUTELY NO OBLIGATION to pay a cent towards this guy! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Who the f**k decided that someone who had to resign (should have been fired) because of their own actions gets paid this ?

I'm almost tempted to sit on my ass doing nothing for 4 years just so that I don't have to contribute to this €100,000.

Yup, I'd starve, freeze and be homeless and probably die, but I should have ABSOLUTELY NO OBLIGATION to pay a cent towards this guy! :mad:

it'll only be a matter of time before Cowan manouvers him onto one of the Dail Committes as a Chairman and pick up that extra salary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Fianna Fáil no less!

It's absolutely disgusting and appalling to think that someone can lie and cheat, and not only do they have to be pushed out the front door to try and "save face" for their party, but they get rewarded handsomely for it too, and even worse, will be let sneak around the side and in the back door to a nice cozy back room job when it's all calmed down!!!

Advertisement