Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am Christian/Catholic?? Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

grrrrrrrrrr, you need to do some serious thinking and reading up on what it means to be a Christian/Catholic, and about other religions/philosophies too.

As it stands, you don't appear to know what you believe, you have a wishy-washy belief in the Christian God, but without having any regard for the bible, any of his rules etc.

Also, I'm not going to pimp Atheism, but at least consider it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

I am not a new Ager, I am a scientist and I know my stuff.
    It led me back to God,or HE did.
    You and your rigidity are driving people from the church.
    The stars were made by God .I do not do divination,because he asked me not to ,but I will prove to people that God's laws are WRITTEN in the stars.
    You are profoundly ignorant,as in medieval science etc .,and I think you are commiting a grave sin .
    I have earned nothing from my studies ,which have been considerable ,and I have stayed in a state of constant prayer etc .
    It is not common to speak of it now ,and I did not choose it,but it is recognised by the church that revelation is the only way to know God.
    I studied all religions [was very devoted as a child to Christ ,but your HATRED chased me from church.[your type]
    You are not a Christian, you are in fact a Pharisee,and your type chase people from Christ every day of the year.
    I would like to think that the church could survive,but the determination to keep people as sheep will I am afraid ,has dealt it a mortal blow.

I forget sometimes how vile this Pharisee type can be,and how scary.
    What makes you think that you are entering the Kingdom ?

You want God to be as limited as you are .
    In the 4th century ,the church taught they the earth was a a casket floating round in space ? Knowledge does not distract from God's work ,it enhances it ,get some,move out of your box.
    Please resist the temptation to judge my soul's final destination.

I do agree that the Church does need to reach out to those who are of scientific mind. There is no conflict between faith and reason. The Church has no fear of science. The Church has never taught error in matters of faith and morals. Infalibility of the Church teaching does not concern matters of science. There is a lot of misunderstanding about these issues of the past, for example, Galileo*. Your other beliefs are not orthodox. I really wouldn't know where to start.

The faith movement is one catholic movement that combines solid Catholic theology with science. It is pretty interesting. The magazine is available in PDF form free bi-monthly. This is one way the Church is reaching out to these people but we need to do more.

Their website is here: http://www.faith.org.uk/

The PDF is too big to attach, but you can get it here an download it yourself; http://www.faith.org.uk/Publications/MagOldIssues.htm
    The Galileo Controversy
    http://www.catholic.com/library/Galileo_Controversy.asp

Why Did the Catholic Church Condemn Galileo?
    http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2003/0305sbs.asp

Twisting the Knife
    How Galileo Brought His Troubles with the Church on Himself
    http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9911fea4.asp

As far as my salvation is concerned, I am trying to work it out in fear and trembling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrrr, you need to do some serious thinking and reading up on what it means to be a Christian/Catholic, and about other religions/philosophies too.

As it stands, you don't appear to know what you believe, you have a wishy-washy belief in the Christian God, but without having any regard for the bible, any of his rules etc.

Also, I'm not going to pimp Atheism, but at least consider it.

not ready for athesism yet!!
    ha...

do believe in A god! ha

Ultravid wrote: »
    Itsinthestars: Do you propose reincarnation as a Christian belief? I'm just askin'.

eh you cant just make up christian beliefs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ItisintheSTARS

You have quoted a mix of new age, gnostic, and heretical beliefs.

The Church has rejected reincarnation from the founding of the Church up to the present day.

Additionally, Jesus spoke many times about hell, as a loving warning, not to scare us for the sake of it.

I echo the sentiments of Basil the Great in regard to your post:

"[A]void the nonsense of those arrogant philosophers who do not blush to liken their soul to that of a dog, who say that they have themselves formerly been women, shrubs, or fish. Have they ever been fish? I do not know, but I do not fear to affirm that in their writings they show less sense than fish" (The Six Days’ Work 8:2 [A.D. 393]).
    I have never been a fish,but I have lived before,and I remember .
    There is also considerable reason to think that it was widely believed ,not only in the Early church by very wise people,but by Chrit himself.
    Those who condemned it were not advanced souls.
    I am not a gnostic ,nor a new ager ,but someone who has been blessed ,or I did not ask for this.
    I do believe that the Church has one of the Largest libraries of Astrology in the world,that the universe is there to be studied.
    I have no dark side to my nature,as many gnostic ,astrologers have.
    It is total garbage ,and I despise popular Astrologers,and not only are they money grubbers ,but liars too.
    The signs are not those of astronomy.
    I think that you who quote ,have no revelation, or inner lives.

Am I supposed to take the word of this Basil against that of my own ,and that of others like Origen etc.
    No wonder the church is in crisis.It has produced 'parrots' etc instead of informed enlightened clergy.
    I am a a Christian ,profoundly ,and I think the way is hard[the cross],
    but until there is profound revelation to waken up the 'fathers ' then I prefer to read protestant works ,and pray alone.

• Advertisement

I have never been a fish,but I have lived before,and I remember .
    QUOTE]

this kind of statement totally undermines your arguement!!

this kind of statement totally undermines your arguement!!
    If you give him money, he will give you fish. Seems like a good deal to me. =p

eh you cant just make up christian beliefs??

Some people think they can. They are wrong of course. Gnosticism is heresy. Itsinthestars believes in Gnosticism.

Christ established His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church to preach the Gospels and save souls. There is no need for secret 'knowledge'.

If you give him money, he will give you fish. Seems like a good deal to me. =p

im lost... theres something very fishy going on here!!

Please resist the temptation to judge my soul's final destination.

I do agree that the Church does need to reach out to those who are of scientific mind. There is no conflict between faith and reason. The Church has no fear of science. The Church has never taught error in matters of faith and morals. Infalibility of the Church teaching does not concern matters of science. There is a lot of misunderstanding about these issues of the past, for example, Galileo*. Your other beliefs are not orthodox. I really wouldn't know where to start.

The faith movement is one catholic movement that combines solid Catholic theology with science. It is pretty interesting. The magazine is available in PDF form free bi-monthly. This is one way the Church is reaching out to these people but we need to do more.

Their website is here: http://www.faith.org.uk/

The PDF is too big to attach, but you can get it here an download it yourself; http://www.faith.org.uk/Publications/MagOldIssues.htm

As far as my salvation is concerned, I am trying to work it out in fear and trembling.
    This last quote is what I am thinking too,and unlike atheists I know that
    knowledge is not the answer ,or rather the 'final' one,but I know to that if it was left to the Church ,we would still believe some incredible nonsense.
    There is no split between 'reason ,and faith .In fact one enhances the other for those of 'grace'.
    I am the only one in my family to have followed this path.
    I have a nephew who is a scientific genius,and others who are trained there ,but all have lost their faith because of the churches attitude.
    With my work ,which is quite clear,they can see that it is not all
    nonsense,and the fact that I have found my faith again ,and my health,and that my life is better than ever is making them think .
    They are moving back to a place of faith ,slowly.

The most important thing is to give time of the heart to God /Jesus.
    Assume nothing at this time.Worry not about what you have done.
    We are supposed to have sinned.Many people in the church will fail to get in,and many outside will get in.Church attendance is no guarantee,nor is knowlege. So who knows ? I am not worried,for it is above all an adventure,and I am trying .

• Advertisement

This last quote is what I am thinking too,and unlike atheists I know that
    knowledge is not the answer ,or rather the 'final' one,but I know to that if it was left to the Church ,we would still believe some incredible nonsense.
    There is no split between 'reason ,and faith .In fact one enhances the other for those of 'grace'.
    I am the only one in my family to have followed this path.
    I have a nephew who is a scientific genius,and others who are trained there ,but all have lost their faith because of the churches attitude.
    With my work ,which is quite clear,they can see that it is not all
    nonsense,and the fact that I have found my faith again ,and my health,and that my life is better than ever is making them think .
    They are moving back to a place of faith ,slowly.

The most important thing is to give time of the heart to God /Jesus.
    Assume nothing at this time.Worry not about what you have done.
    We are supposed to have sinned.Many people in the church will fail to get in,and many outside will get in.Church attendance is no guarantee,nor is knowlege. So who knows ? I am not worried,for it is above all an adventure,and I am trying .

its like watching two wizards fighting! ive no idea whats going on but its amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

ItsintheSTARS and Ultravid - by all means disagree with each others views, but let's have less of the personal insults.

Any more and I lock the thread.

Some people think they can. They are wrong of course. Gnosticism is heresy. Itsinthestars believes in Gnosticism.

Christ established His One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church to preach the Gospels and save souls. There is no need for secret 'knowledge'.

Oh here we go . !! I am not a gnostic,I am a scientist.
    There is nothing 'occult 'about me.
    We live in an ordered Universe,just like a computer programme.You are young probably,but you must study for your self,do not listen to hearsay,and the ignorant .
    And read all of my posts or none.This nonsense is beginning to annoy me.

PDN wrote: »
    ItsintheSTARS and Ultravid - by all means disagree with each others views, but let's have less of the personal insults.

Any more and I lock the thread.

what careers do ye have guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

it reminds me now of the prophets of the old testament, always calling the Jews who had strayed back to the one True God, itsintheSTARS posts remind me that today we are no different than the Jews who had strayed then, and we have people running after the latest novelty all the time, you just cant teach a pig how to sing, it wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

it reminds me now of the prophets of the old testament, always calling the Jews who had strayed back to the one True God, itsintheSTARS posts remind me that today we are no different than the Jews who had strayed then, and we have people running after the latest novelty all the time, you just cant teach a pig how to sing, it wastes your time and it irritates the pig.

i feel about three foot tall!! all this is goin over my head!

I really wouldn't worry about it. :)

No ,the fact that you are curious ,and want to believe is good ,let time ,and !! take care of the rest.

Yeah like I said, go check out the faith movement website. You might like what you see there. They propose a synthesis of science and faith which is orthodox and exciting!

http://www.faith.org.uk/

And of course JESUS was ORTHODOX ?

to be honest ( reference to qoute of St.Anthony the Great ) one should just have his say, plant the seed and get out of there, and call it quits.

the devil is the big arguer and loves to cause confusion.

In my opinion, I feel this thread would do you more damage than good.

I prayed for you tonight grrrrrr ( hope I have enough r's in there ) and shall continue to do so on your journey towards God,

Pax Christi

Stephen

• Advertisement

what careers do ye have guys?

I still think you are 'bright',but your spelling is dire.
    I am a teacher,and live in France .

I will not be back.

As I said ,it is difficult to talk with those of closed minds.
    I do not believe Jesus was a 'hippy', but I am not a sheep ,so I cannot be an Orthodox Catholic.However I will go to Mass ,as I do from time to time,
    because they have some of the truth.
    The Vatican has the biggest [or had ]library of Astrology in the world .
    Who or what is 'occult' ?

The cheek of them.

Maybe if I give you some money you might be pushed to reveal your 'hard won' knowledge. Then I can be like you, one of those 'in the know'. :rolleyes:
    It has taken me thousands of hours to make a theory,and I am ahead of you [in time and tired]
    You will not get my theory ,but you may get something.
    I will clock on again on Saturday about 11 am ,but it will be for the last time.
    The time,date ,and place [or near ]of birth,and of death of someone.
    Nothing goulish ,just that we live in a clock like world of time.
    No predictions.
    I am only interested in bringing back those of a need to know nature.
    God wants all back if possible,especially the seekers.

I am also very aware that things like reincarnation can be dodgy for those of a lower nature.They might get caught in the 'past' like spiritualism,which is not good,or in superstition.

I think that the most advanced culture in history was that of India,and reincarnation,and astrology were believed by all.

Blavatsky and type were dark people ,and I won't touch them,but many
    Jewish people believed in reincarnation,and talk of it at a high level.
    It is on the net .

Good night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This thread has gone decidedly weird. :eek:

all in good taste of course, so hope I dont offend, but I couldnt resist closing the discussion with this song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yes, it has taken a odd turn.

It's a pretty catchy tune. I'm waiting for Saturday morning. The spaceship will come pick me up at 11am. I hope.

As I said ,it is difficult to talk with those of closed minds.
    I do not believe Jesus was a 'hippy', but I am not a sheep ,so I cannot be an Orthodox Catholic.However I will go to Mass ,as I do from time to time,
    because they have some of the truth.
    The Vatican has the biggest [or had ]library of Astrology in the world .
    Who or what is 'occult' ?

The cheek of them.

Jesus may not be a hippy but was he a homosexual??

"According to Sir Elton John, Jesus was a gay lord."

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/music/international/2010/elton-john-jesus-gay-lord-190210.html

some interesting reading for ye (specially PDN haha joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Yes, noted Biblical scholar... Elton John.

And are you actually making jokes about someone being raped as a child?

• Advertisement

Puck wrote: »
    Yes, noted Biblical scholar... Elton John.

And are you actually making jokes about someone being raped as a child?

No you see PDN was telling us about his expeditions on a gay cruise!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement