Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am Christian/Catholic?? Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It is very fashoinable to say that it has nothing to do with spirituality,
    but that is not true....

I think we are 100% in agreement.

I wasn't trying to say that the RCC isn't spiritual, but rather how pointless it was to entitle a thread Am I Catholic?... and then describe it as sh*t..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

prinz wrote: »
    I think we are 100% in agreement.

I wasn't trying to say that the RCC isn't spiritual, but rather how pointless it was to entitle a thread Am I Catholic?... and then describe it as sh*t..

i was just seeing what ye thought. i am a teen so wasnt sure like....

the world has changed in 2000 years but the church is still far behind and i dont see how listening to old stories will help with someones spirituality!

like we know christ did alot of fantastic things but theres no need to go through all of them and continually repeat them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

if i came across some ancient scripts in the morning than proved the church was completely and utterly wrong i do not think i would release them!

Do you mean like this...

There is a need to continually repeat them, until people start paying attention and living them that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ItisintheSTARS

PDN wrote: »
    I don't accept labels based on orientation. I think that our behaviour is what matters. But that's a bit of a whole other subject in itself.

A bit off topic, but in answer to your question, prior to my conversion from atheism to Christianity in 1981 I experienced sex with women (of my own free will and volition) and with men (not of my own free will or volition - i.e. child abuse). Then upon conversion I decided that the correct place for sexual activity was within marriage and so abstained until then.

I have been happily married to the same woman since 1986 and obviously chose the right one since I've never wanted to get involved with anyone else in that time, nor do I want or expect to be anything else but faithful and monogamous in the future.

Very good post,and lucky you.
    Perhaps ,since you sound kind and wise,you could say a little prayer for me. As an ex atheist too, I wish that my family would pray for me as I do for them ,but no , and I will not ask the priest because we are intellectually incompatible ?

didnt read the entire post but i would say the world is a better place with the church than without it.

i see the comfort the church can bring to people, specially the elderly.
    if i came across some ancient scripts in the morning than proved the church was completely and utterly wrong i do not think i would release them!!

the church has and does do a lot of good work. they havent given alot to education in this country despite the negative publicity with the abuse.

Well I think you should read the whole post,please !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Ultravid

I live a spiritual life in my own way. Why go to church? It’s just filled with hypocrites anyway.
    http://www.chastitysf.com/q_whychurch.htm

^ Might answer some of your questions.

If you study the writings of the early Church Fathers, you will find that their beliefs were Catholic, which is reassuring!

Ignatius of Antioch:

"I have no taste for corruptible food nor for the pleasures of this life. I desire the bread of God, which is the flesh of Jesus Christ, who was of the seed of David; and for drink I desire his blood, which is love incorruptible" (Letter to the Romans 7:3 [A.D. 110]).

"Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes" (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2–7:1 [A.D. 110]).

About St Ignatius of Antioch: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07644a.htm

More here about the Church Fathers:
    http://www.cin.org/users/jgallegos/contents.htm

i was just seeing what ye thought. i am a teen so wasnt sure like....

the world has changed in 2000 years but the church is still far behind and i dont see how listening to old stories will help with someones spirituality!

like we know christ did alot of fantastic things but theres no need to go through all of them and continually repeat them!!

I agree .In this the church is wrong ,totally wrong .
    There is so much more to God's universe ,and what a wonderful story it is ,but like a BAD teacher they kill off the interest in learning and the story.

Move on Catholic church .Have some Respect for your 'sheep'.
    Some of them are ahead of you now.Enter the debate .You have done your job to launch the 'rocket',raise the hearts,now have 'faith' in God
    and HIS place in His creation,and have 'faith in his people,for they are HIS ,not yours.

haha. sorry if i offended you but seriously what has god got to do with things that happened 2000 years ago! like wit human nature its blatently obvious that you can not preserve stories that long!

and then the churchs' view on evolution and the like.... f**k sake

and homosexuality?? all just sh*t really!!

another debate i supppose.

maybe i should talk to a priest!! ha

Read if you can the story of the Prodigal Son,especially that of Henri Nouwen, also 'What is so amazing about Grace'! by Phillip Yancey,and if you can find them, books by M.Scott Peck.
    I am an emotional ,cultural Catholic,and if the church engages with me intellectually I might become a full one again .Meantime I am a a Christian,and believe totally in a Creator,for I see His laws in action
    especially His love of us.
    I love churches ,candles and hyms.

I agree .In this the church is wrong ,totally wrong .
    There is so much more to God's universe ,and what a wonderful story it is ,but like a BAD teacher they kill off the interest in learning and the story.

Move on Catholic church .Have some Respect for your 'sheep'.
    Some of them are ahead of you now.Enter the debate .You have done your job to launch the 'rocket',raise the hearts,now have 'faith' in God
    and HIS place in His creation,and have 'faith in his people,for they are HIS ,not yours.

I'm not sure having faith in a flock of sinners is a good idea. The shepherd leads the way, and it was Christ who appointed Peter, and his legitimate successors (cf. Isa. 22) as shepherd of the earthly flock, commanding him to feed his sheep (Jn. 21) and strengthen his brethren (Lk. 22:32). He also said, 'He who hears you, hears me,'' - this applies to the Church, which is the pillar and foundation of the truth (Timothy 3:15).

This is good: http://www.catholic.com/library/pillar.asp

It addresses, among other things, the four scriptural marks of the true Church: One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The Catholic Church, founded by Christ (cf. Mt 16:18) presents to the world the Gospel of Jesus Christ and marks out the narrow way of salvation, which Christ said, few find. What some people desire is an easy, false Gospel, which St Paul warned about in his letters:
    2 Timothy 4:3-4

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths

and here is what Jesus said:
    Matthew 7

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Christ's promises in Matthew 16:18 means that the true Church will prevail, with its correct doctrines, essential for salvation. Of course there will always be enemies of the cross of Christ, and of the Church, who will seek to tear it down, but the key thing is, they will not ultimately succeed.
    And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

This is the battle that is being played out now in Ireland, but also throughout the western world: we see some people trying to hijack and profit from the wretched abuse crisis in order to further their own agenda. Pretty despicable, but that is fallen human nature working in association with the Father of Lies.

This article goes into the issue: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/ignore-critics--church-must-be-true-to-teachings-2004600.html

What these people are ultimately looking for, is to destroy Christ's Church, in order to salve their stinging consciences.

Ultravid wrote: »
    I'm not sure having faith in a flock of sinners is a good idea. The shepherd leads the way, and it was Christ who appointed Peter, and his legitimate successors (cf. Isa. 22) as shepherd of the earthly flock, commanding him to feed his sheep (Jn. 21) and strengthen his brethren (Lk. 22:32). He also said, 'He who hears you, hears me,'' - this applies to the Church, which is the pillar and foundation of the truth (Timothy 3:15).

It addresses, among other things, the four scriptural marks of the true Church: One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The Catholic Church, founded by Christ (cf. Mt 16:18) presents to the world the Gospel of Jesus Christ and marks out the narrow way of salvation, which Christ said, few find. What some people desire is an easy, false Gospel, which St Paul warned about in his letters:

Christ's promises in Matthew 16:18 means that the true Church will prevail, with its correct doctrines, essential for salvation. Of course there will always be enemies of the cross of Christ, and of the Church, ho will seek to tear it down, but the key thing is, they will not ultimately succeed.

This is the battle that is being played out now in Ireland, but also throughout the western world: we see some people trying to hijack and profit from the wretched abuse crisis in order to further their own agenda. Pretty despicable, but that is fallen human nature working in association with the Father of Lies.

This article goes into the issue: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/ignore-critics--church-must-be-true-to-teachings-2004600.html

What these people are ultimately looking for, is to destroy Christ's Church, in order to salve their stinging consciences.

No offence but what sort of an american church are you involved in??

sorry im just always sceptical of people who can quote the bible....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

What the heck do you expect in the Christianity forum? That people won't be able to quote from the most widely read book in history that also happens to be the foundational text in Christianity?

PDN wrote: »
    What the heck do you expect in the Christianity forum? That people won't be able to quote from the most widely read book in history that also happens to be the foundational text in Christianity?

but sure its all just a joke really isnt it, heaven and hell and ever lasting life.....

ha joking(fr ted)

i do appreciate all yeer help tho but i just can get into it as much as ye...
    i dono who that makes more intelligent but ye are entitled to yeer beliefs as i am mine.

threecheers for freedom of speech!! anyone else getting annoyed with me besides myself??

No offence but what sort of an american church are you involved in??

Lol none taken.

I'm Catholic. :)

Lol none taken.

I'm a Northern Catholic. :)

this is what we need/want.... a scholar with a sense of humour....

although PDN i found your homosexual expirences quite humours too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

although PDN i found your homosexual expirences quite humours too!

You really need to reread what PDN said.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If you have to ask then it seems we are talking about two different posts. My bad.

If you have to ask then it seems we are talking about two different posts. My bad.

its ok but supposably im not christian so i dont have to forgive you!!

i think i shud be made a mod of this forum!!

but sure its all just a joke really isnt it, heaven and hell and ever lasting life.....

ha joking(fr ted)

i do appreciate all yeer help tho but i just can get into it as much as ye...
    i dono who that makes more intelligent but ye are entitled to yeer beliefs as i am mine.

threecheers for freedom of speech!! anyone else getting annoyed with me besides myself??
    I don't know if you read .I hope so ,for knowledge is necessary.
    God gave us 'big' brains ,and He wants us to use them.
    Some of us have gone beyond those who need to quote .
    I never ever thought that in a million years I would be where I am now .

Like you I am suspicious ,and avoid those who QUOTE scriptures,for they
    forget that REVELATION is how God chooses to speak to those who followed him,and already learned,what Jesus had to say .
    They are like people who insist that the Primary class is the ultimate one.
    Neccessary ,but only part of an ongoing process.
    Me,I am stuck between the Quoters,and the quoters,take your pick of them,believers or atheists.
    I am a profound believer in Christ as Saviour ,but many christians
    are the enemy of Christ. Instead of inspiring ,they create fear,like BAD teachers did in school.
    I nearly got failed because my pupils LIKED their classes too much.
    A dose of Medicine[poison] is neccessary they believe.

For Grrrrrrrrr.
    We are living in a large Eternal Garden,and a garden has rules of growth ,for each plant .
    We are the only truly concious ones,and we have to learn the rules
    which allow us to grow to our full original design.
    For this basis ,the church always gets it CORRECT [I am not quoting,I do not need to] ,although she gets it wrong for other things ,like HOW to lead people to this condition .
    Good teachers accept that 'good teaching ,imaginative inspiration understanding,inclusion[except for extremes] is required to get the pupils
    to advance.
    The church puts the EXAM before the teaching .
    If you are a teacher you do everything [or should ]to get your pupil to pass the exam,but you cannot Pass it for them.
    Because the church has missed out on the idea of Reincarnation
    she has to say that God created us when we were born,but we were created a long time ago and have come through many trials.
    Our state of evolution [to GOD's design] will be judged,and if found wanting.?
    Neither evolutionists ,nor the Catholics /Protestants get it right.
    YOU Grrr are a very bright soul,an advanced one.
    I am curious about when you were born etc ?
    people to become

I am a profound believer in Christ as Saviour ,but many christians
    are the enemy of Christ. Instead of inspiring ,they create fear,like BAD teachers did in school.
    I nearly got failed because my pupils LIKED their classes too much.
    A dose of Medicine[poison] is neccessary they believe.

We are the only truly concious ones,and we have to learn the rules
    which allow us to grow to our full original design.
    For this basis ,the church always gets it CORRECT [I am not quoting,I do not need to] ,although she gets it wrong for other things ,like HOW to lead people to this condition .

Because the church has missed out on the idea of Reincarnation
    she has to say that God created us when we were born,but we were created a long time ago and have come through many trials.

people to become

You have quoted a mix of new age, gnostic, and heretical beliefs.

The Church has rejected reincarnation from the founding of the Church up to the present day.

Additionally, Jesus spoke many times about hell, as a loving warning, not to scare us for the sake of it.

I echo the sentiments of Basil the Great in regard to your post:

"[A]void the nonsense of those arrogant philosophers who do not blush to liken their soul to that of a dog, who say that they have themselves formerly been women, shrubs, or fish. Have they ever been fish? I do not know, but I do not fear to affirm that in their writings they show less sense than fish" (The Six Days’ Work 8:2 [A.D. 393]).

• Advertisement

Christ's promises in Matthew 16:18 means that the true Church will prevail, with its correct doctrines, essential for salvation. Of course there will always be enemies of the cross of Christ, and of the Church, who will seek to tear it down, but the key thing is, they will not ultimately succeed.

No not all of them.some of them are asking that the Church examines itself [or rather the leaders] for did he not ask us first to be critical of ourselves ,before being so with others ,for we must be humble ,and self examining.and above reproach if we are in a situation of guiding souls.
    One of the things the Church has done is to behave as though Christ had never come ,as though he had never spoken of the Prodigal son,which for me is the lesson of choice of freedom.He wants us to be free to explore
    he wants us to experiment,and then to Choose Him.
    This is happening in France ,and Spain,but Ireland has not had that chance. After many years the French are needing of come back of their own free will .God forces no one,but He gives us a chance to see what happenswhen His lifegiving energy is taken away.
    You are too rigid and fearful,and need to read a bit more widely.
    To believe that good Christians like Phillip Yancey ,and others
    will not enter the 'Kingdom' while bad Catholics will ,is total ! !
    Of course time could be running out ! !

YOU Grrr are a very bright soul,an advanced one.
    people to become

To ItisintheSTARS: Born in 1992, FYI

To eveyone
    i have better morals than most catholics than my age, no drink sex fighting scheming against ppl etc....

is that not more important than scriptures?

This site might help answer some of your questions Grrrrrrrr:

http://www.beginningcatholic.com/

This site might help answer some of your questions Grrrrrrrr:

http://www.beginningcatholic.com/

but im already a catholic!! do youve any on "not being sure if you a catholic or not"!!

ha :D:D:D:D:D

thanks!!

When I say the flock Imean those who love J.C., not those who don't.
    But the God you believe in made them and if they have been following they must have advanced ,and be ready for a higher lesson ,knowledge.
    Knowledge of God's creation must not be kept from them.
    Keeping them like'sheep' in the last days may lead them to be devoured by wolves.
    The part of 'faith 'alone is passed ,and now the How must be examined .
    It is my opinion that God will be very angry with those who keep his
    people in ignorance,and out of his church .He is a scientist,the original creator .
    He wanted us to perfect love [of the heart],faith,and hope before he showed us the intellectual details.
    Before you can be a 'creator 'say of music ,you must hear it in your head,and you then decide how to construct it.
    This is where poor R. DAWKINS went wrong,and where his followers do.
    You cannot work the other way round to create.
    Einstein had this facility,to see it in his head ,and then work out the maths [which he did not like much].
    Those who folow Christ begin to have this facility,and all great classic artists have it. But most scientists are just analysers,not creative

Yes there are people who will be left out .I am no liberal,but if my heart does not open to those in need of spiritual help[emotional],but only quotes at them I am not not doing my job.
    But on the other hand to pretend that there are no rules to be followed
    is wrong too,and many liberals make that mistake.

but im already a catholic!! do youve any on "not being sure if you a catholic or not"!!

ha :D:D:D:D:D

thanks!!

I don't intend to be patronising, but if like me (and most other young Catholics in Ireland), you were not taught the faith growing up, then you have to do it yourself. That is what I did, using good Catholic websites and books. If you need any recommendations, please PM me. Catholic Answers is especially good: http://www.catholic.com/library/faith_tracts.asp

When I say the flock Imean those who love J.C., not those who don't.
    But the God you believe in made them and if they have been following they must have advanced ,and be ready for a higher lesson ,knowledge.
    Knowledge of God's creation must not be kept from them.
    Keeping them like'sheep' in the last days may lead them to be devoured by wolves.
    The part of 'faith 'alone is passed ,and now the How must be examined .
    It is my opinion that God will be very angry with those who keep his
    people in ignorance,and out of his church .He is a scientist,the original creator .
    He wanted us to perfect love [of the heart],faith,and hope before he showed us the intellectual details.
    Before you can be a 'creator 'say of music ,you must hear it in your head,and you then decide how to construct it.
    This is where poor R. DAWKINS went wrong,and where his followers do.
    You cannot work the other way round to create.
    Einstein had this facility,to see it in his head ,and then work out the maths [which he did not like much].
    Those who folow Christ begin to have this facility,and all great classic artists have it. But most scientists are just analysers,not creative

Yes there are people who will be left out .I am no liberal,but if my heart does not open to those in need of spiritual help[emotional],but only quotes at them I am not not doing my job.
    But on the other hand to pretend that there are no rules to be followed
    is wrong too,and many liberals make that mistake.

ye guys are so into this!! what careers do ye have out of curiousity???

Itsinthestars - I'm not sure if I am on your wavelength or not, but if you are interested in the relationship between Catholic Faith and science, FAITH Movement* is good. A free sample issue is attached too this post.

* http://www.faith.org.uk/

I don't intend to be patronising, but if like me (and most other young Catholics in Ireland), you were not taught the faith growing up, then you have to do it yourself. That is what I did, using good Catholic websites and books. If you need any recommendations, please PM me. Catholic Answers is especially good: http://www.catholic.com/library/faith_tracts.asp

thanks ill check it out

• Advertisement

You have quoted a mix of new age, gnostic, and heretical beliefs.

The Church has rejected reincarnation from the founding of the Church up to the present day.

Additionally, Jesus spoke many times about hell, as a loving warning, not to scare us for the sake of it.

I echo the sentiments of Basil the Great in regard to your post:

"[A]void the nonsense of those arrogant philosophers who do not blush to liken their soul to that of a dog, who say that they have themselves formerly been women, shrubs, or fish. Have they ever been fish? I do not know, but I do not fear to affirm that in their writings they show less sense than fish" (The Six Days’ Work 8:2 [A.D. 393]).
    I am not a new Ager, I am a scientist and I know my stuff.
    It led me back to God,or HE did.
    You and your rigidity are driving people from the church.
    The stars were made by God .I do not do divination,because he asked me not to ,but I will prove to people that God's laws are WRITTEN in the stars.
    You are profoundly ignorant,as in medieval science etc .,and I think you are commiting a grave sin .
    I have earned nothing from my studies ,which have been considerable ,and I have stayed in a state of constant prayer etc .
    It is not common to speak of it now ,and I did not choose it,but it is recognised by the church that revelation is the only way to know God.
    I studied all religions [was very devoted as a child to Christ ,but your HATRED chased me from church.[your type]
    You are not a Christian, you are in fact a Pharisee,and your type chase people from Christ every day of the year.
    I would like to think that the church could survive,but the determination to keep people as sheep will I am afraid ,has dealt it a mortal blow.

I forget sometimes how vile this Pharisee type can be,and how scary.
    What makes you think that you are entering the Kingdom ?

You want God to be as limited as you are .
    In the 4th century ,the church taught they the earth was a a casket floating round in space ? Knowledge does not distract from God's work ,it enhances it ,get some,move out of your box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement