Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

average money on the dole

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The post someone made here saying - ya sure people can get 1200 a month extra for rent allowance but it goes to the Landlord so we shouldnt really be counting it - is laughable and just goes to show how far away from reality some of these single mothers etc are. THey dont seem to really that if someone goes out to work an takes home 35k, they have to pay the same 1200 to landlord or bank manager. The fact remains, they are getting a free house but somehow they are not in anyway appreciative of this.
    I know first hand of a single mother being given a brand new house in a mixed scheme. Perfect house. The builder of the scheme was haunted by complants from that house alone from radiators 'falling' off the walls to door hinges not keeping the door up. She had no respect at all for the property. All the householders around her who had bought their houses were delighted with them.
    Another sickening scam is where the supposedly single mothers get every allowance going including free house & then move the childrens father into the house.
    The worst one Ive seen is where single mother happens to be going out with random man. This man builds house, she requests that this house be rented for her as its for rent & of suitabe size & location. Government issue monthly cheque to man for his house. He is also living in house himself with the woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Guell72

cloneslad wrote: »
    Been on the dole since finishing my masters in September. Graduated in December, got sick of being rejected job after job after job I applied for. When I got turned down for the last one I interviewed for (made it to the final four) I had enough and my old boss in Korea had been offering me a job back over there, so I decided to take it.

Worked my ass off here to get to college, get a degree, worked to pay for my masters then spent the past year blowing all my savings and studying like mad to achieve it.

Now I can't get a job and have to leave the country just to be guaranteed a job because sitting on the dole is not good for your sanity.

Thank you Ireland

Oh, I get 196 a week, don't claim rent allowance or anything else (except medical card)

Then emigrate instead of posting about it. The sooner you emigrate the sooner you can get a job. :D

Seriously though. Its gonna be much harder now to get a job, since any employer with new jobs are getting free FAS slaves in instead of paid workers. So they arent really creating any proper jobs unless you want to work for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

irishh_bob wrote: »
    it stands to reason that when a service is free , people will avail of it more , your exception to the rule does not change this

I had to dole it about 11 years ago (and will in about 2 months time again) and got a medical card...and didn't use it once.
    There's two for ya.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yeah and......they don't have to pay rent....(or a small contribution)
    Thats one of the most illogical points i've heard.
    You know what in that case I get paid something like 10 euro a week :eek: because my rent goes to my landlord and my my bills are paid to other people and when I get my shopping my money goes to tesco, etc, etc
    So basically I survive on 10euro, how do I do it :rolleyes:

Years ago when you didnt have as much money you moved to a lower standard of accomodation. If you werent working you rented a bedsit with a shared bathroom. Now you just stay where you are and ask for handouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

mickdw wrote: »
    The post someone made here saying - ya sure people can get 1200 a month extra for rent allowance but it goes to the Landlord so we shouldnt really be counting it - is laughable and just goes to show how far away from reality some of these single mothers etc are. THey dont seem to really that if someone goes out to work an takes home 35k, they have to pay the same 1200 to landlord or bank manager. The fact remains, they are getting a free house but somehow they are not in anyway appreciative of this.
    I know first hand of a single mother being given a brand new house in a mixed scheme. Perfect house. The builder of the scheme was haunted by complants from that house alone from radiators 'falling' off the walls to door hinges not keeping the door up. She had no respect at all for the property. All the householders around her who had bought their houses were delighted with them.
    Another sickening scam is where the supposedly single mothers get every allowance going including free house & then move the childrens father into the house.
    The worst one Ive seen is where single mother happens to be going out with random man. This man builds house, she requests that this house be rented for her as its for rent & of suitabe size & location. Government issue monthly cheque to man for his house. He is also living in house himself with the woman.

For the ones bringing their bfs in report them then.I hate that stuff to and seen it alot but its still not as high as you think.
    Secondly very very very rare and if you know it report it and stop whinging and taring all loan parents with same brush.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

gambiaman wrote: »
    I had to dole it about 11 years ago (and will in about 2 months time again) and got a medical card...and didn't use it once.
    There's two for ya.

I had it and was dragged to the doctors to use for myself once so there's three for him :D Other than that like alot of Irish people they only go if they falling down.lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

caseyann wrote: »
    For the most you make some good points.
    For the bold in what they hand you to so called encourage you to go out and work they cut out in the other.And brings the outgoings more then the in comings.
    Seriously when you look at the situation and you hear the experts telling them they are not making it possible for these women to go out and work.How do you figure they are?

Question for you,If you are alone with two kids are on loan parents and just barely living then go out get a job and it brings your likely hood of making ends meet like rent and bills and food and health care.Would you let yourself starve just for the privilege of working in a job you hate and not been able to pay your rent?

I know that caseyanne, I'm well aware of it. Look, there are measures there to help single parents, I outlined them. From memory you can keep a reduced LPA payment until about €400, maybe even more, not sure.

FIS is payable on a NET wage, after tax and PRSI of €506 per week.

The state can only do so much, it can't do everything. When it tries to everything it balls up, like Child Benefit!

You have to think long term. Yes, if they earn more, benefits get cuts and a thing called tax and PRSI comes in.

Guess what caseyann, say you do get a good job, guess what happens? once you earn above €35,000 if single or €45,000 if a family with one income, 41% tax kicks in.

This is where personal responsibility kicks in.

41% tax, 8% PRSI and 2% Income levy. Yep, they take more than half of the overtime you earn. Is that a disincentive? Welcome to the middle class poor, getting decent pay and due to housing and childcare costs, being just as poor as people on SW, just not accepting it.

The problem, these poverty traps were there pre bubble, if anything they got worse.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'd love to link to a survey done a few years ago showing single parents were the best tenants, but:

1. it's too long ago and I don't have a copy

2. I think it would be lost in a different type of way on some.

3. I've heard of couples "splitting up" and pretending they are single parents and doing similar to what you said.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

There is a single mother in my home village and you should hear the gossips talking about her. Her boyfriend moved on a good few years ago and all you hear is "Single mothers on benefits with live in lovers - im going to report them".

A friend of mine works in the fraud dept (or whatever its called these days ) in social welfare and they were reported sure enough, even though they arent on welfare.

He told me he had at least a dozen reports about every single mother within a radius of 20 miles and only 3 of them are on social welfare. Yet everyone thinks they are all conning the state. Those 3 have all declared that their boyfriend has moved in, so are all above board.

This particular woman in my village doesnt work, but she is wealthy. She got insurance when her husband died in England and doesnt even claim welfare.

So there we go. Dont assume single mothers are moving boyfriends in and are on the fiddle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

This post has been deleted.
    Didn't know that. Someone pointed that out a few posts back.
    It wouldn't be a good idea to start it now but when the country gets back on it's feet and there are jobs there is no reason Deco or Anto who left school 8 years ago and have never worked a day in their lives or contributed one cent to PRSI should be allowed to sit on their arses all day.
    Agree with that.

Wagon wrote: »
    Didn't know that. Someone pointed that out a few posts back.

Agree with that.

It was pointed out on the Frontline problem though that families who have a partner will suffer there.

They'll get JB, yes, but when it comes to the means test a year later, they will not qualify, exactly because the partner is earning a decent wage.

K-9 wrote: »
    It was pointed out on the Frontline problem though that families who have a partner will suffer there.

They'll get JB, yes, but when it comes to the means test a year later, they will not qualify, exactly because the partner is earning a decent wage.
    So they'd get it for one year and then after that they'd have to live on a single income until they find work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 USA

Guell72 wrote: »
    So there we go. Dont assume single mothers are moving boyfriends in and are on the fiddle.

I dunno what part of the country you are in, but pretty much everyone knows at least 1 of these "single" mothers who are conning the state, pretending the father isn't around etc. To say it doesn't go on is laughable.

I'm sure your "friend" in the "fraud department" of social welfare's information is more reliable though. :rolleyes:

So they'd get it for one year and then after that they'd have to live on a single income until they find work?

Yep.

It's means tested, so eg. a public servant whose partner loses their job will more than likely lose any SW entitlements after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

off topic but there was a thread going on what unemployed people do with their day and i cant find it. i need ideas! bored out of my mind.anyone know what it was called?

USA wrote: »
    I dunno what part of the country you are in, but pretty much everyone knows at least 1 of these "single" mothers who are conning the state, pretending the father isn't around etc. To say it doesn't go on is laughable.

I'm sure your "friend" in the "fraud department" of social welfare's information is more reliable though. :rolleyes:

The point I was making that people at home thought the same way you do. But when I found out what the real story was, it just showed that nobody actually had any evidence to accuse these people, and yet they were accusing them in the wrong. They just assumed they were guilty, when they were innocent.
    Im sure it goes on, but most people just assume that any single mother is conning the state.

So without evidence, maybe we should all just mind our own business and not go on a witch hunt.

Isnt that what the means test is for?
    If there is an income which is enough to support the family, then why should someone get a further handout?
    Im sure that if that income is not enough that they will still get whatever dole is required to bring them up to that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

ive been through the means test process..Im a single father paying 50 a week to my daughter I live in Limerick she lives in Dublin..I visit every fortnight for a weekend usually with about a fiver in my pocket..fortunatewly the mother looks after me while there..I drive up petrol costs a few bob Im 30 years old my insurance is 1060 euro factor in tax 333 a year divided on a monthly 3 monthly basis.internet 20 a month phone 29 a month, of course to find a job when I was looking, Credit union 20 A week another loan 25 a week trying to pay a credit card 120 a month. Electricity bills coming in.living in my fathers abandoned house..fortunately free rent. I am lucky to have 20 euro a week left over for food, on a good week.All the 196 euro a week i get goes back in to the system. No money is spent on drugs or in the black market. Ive been to doctor once in the past 15 years...But sure im HAPPY not because of my circumstance but because I'm alive. Went on to the back to work enterprise allowance which is still 196 a week Setting up a small business trying my best to get out of the rut because if the welfare gave me enough i probably would never have thought of my own business.But since I dont get enough to survive I got to create it, which is great!! The means test and this system isnt there for a single father. fact!!

The dole is your money..your stamps for when you lose your job..its yours not a handout..as for JSA...SURELY after contributing to the system for years, when your stamps run out they contribute to you..either way all that money goes back in to the system, in bills etc they collect the revenue from the tax on everything you buy from a chocolate bar to insurance...milk bread everything..cutting the dole would take x amount of money out of the system, at a time when we need more money in the system. Now for those who spend on drugs and the black market thats a problem that burns a big hole in their pockets for obvious reasons..how about legalising Cannabis massive revenue winner there..just a thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

.how about legalising Cannabis massive revenue winner there..just a thought

Is an absolute winner. Would raise a serious amount of money in tax. However our government and anti-drug brigade are too short sighted to see this. So they'll continue with their un-winable "War on Drugs", causing more death, pain and suffering than if the drugs were to be legalised.

Guell72 wrote: »
    Isnt that what the means test is for?
    If there is an income which is enough to support the family, then why should someone get a further handout?
    Im sure that if that income is not enough that they will still get whatever dole is required to bring them up to that level.

Indeed, but with only one income in, people on 30-40k may well be better on the dole, depending on rent supplements and childcare costs.

It's a mad system that we have! The main problem I see is the high cost of housing (though rents are coming down) and childcare. There is very little by the way of tax relief for those costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭hg03 eyu

I refer to the Frontline program with Pat Kenny last month on RTE.

The exact breakdown of unemployment benefits is as follows

A Married couple with two children

Unemployment benefit..........10,192
    Adult dependent...................6,765.20
    Child dependents (x2)............3,099.20
    Other benefits....................14,964
    Total................................35,020

Other benefits include rent allowance, medical card for four people, fuel allowance, back to school allowance etc.

This does NOT include the normal childrens allowance that working families get

Remember that none of this is taxed and these figures are after the recent budget cuts.

Granted rent allowance goes to the landlord but people working full time on minimum wage have to pay their own rent and medical expenses.

These are RTEs figures and I have no reason to doubt them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

how the hell is a family with two kids meant to live on 35k?

Just buy fewer plasmas and bouncy castles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

hg03 eyu wrote: »

That's crazy...
    Tbh, I've been avoiding this thread cause I thought it'd just be rant-city..

I've never been on the Dole and I had no Idea it was at that level..
    I'm breaking my bollox the last while, working stupidly long hours to keep my job, and it looks like I could be earning more without it..

Wtf man??
    :confused: :mad:

single man 30 years of age with 1 child living with the mother
    196 euro weekly = 10192

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

That example on pat kenny 35k = 20k dole (person 1 10k,person 2 - 6k, 2 kids 4k + extras 15k (extras = rent allowance + medical card.) what they forgot to mention rent allowance goes to the LANDLORD! Single parent can get up to 1200 in rent allowance but its not spending money for them its for landlord.
    Basically family 4 survive on 20k,

Excluding rent/mortgage! I have a decent job and dont come out with 20k net per year after rent FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wazdakka wrote: »
    That's crazy...
    Tbh, I've been avoiding this thread cause I thought it'd just be rant-city..

I've never been on the Dole and I had no Idea it was at that level..
    I'm breaking my bollox the last while, working stupidly long hours to keep my job, and it looks like I could be earning more without it..

Wtf man??
    :confused: :mad:
    You'd have to have two children and a wife to get that 35000, I don't think it's worth that kind of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ScumLord wrote: »
    You'd have to have two children and a wife to get that 35000, I don't think it's worth that kind of hassle.

brilliant

• Advertisement

hg03 eyu wrote: »

Other benefits include rent allowance, medical card for four people, fuel allowance, back to school allowance etc.

This does NOT include the normal childrens allowance that working families get

Remember that none of this is taxed and these figures are after the recent budget cuts.

Granted rent allowance goes to the landlord but people working full time on minimum wage have to pay their own rent and medical expenses.

These are RTEs figures and I have no reason to doubt them.
    holy crap! Other expensises cover a shítload don't they?

Advertisement