Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

average money on the dole

Options
  • 15-02-2010 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭

been trying to work this out.

Just heard them on Plank Kenny's show saying that, on average, a family with 2 children are pulling in 35 odd thousand a year.
    Seemed rather high to me, though I'm sure some are on it and more.

I'd like to get the true average.

To do this, I'd need to find out how much the government pay out each month and divide that by the number of people on the dole that month.

This is a little simplistic, but would give a much truer figure than the ones I saw proposed on the plank's show.

Anyone got the figures for any given month or year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Just heard them on Plank Kenny's show saying that, on average, a family with 2 children are pulling in 35 odd thousand a year.

To do this, I'd need to find out how much the government pay out each month and divide that by the number of people on the dole that month.

This is a little simplistic, but would give a much truer figure than the ones I saw proposed on the plank's show.

Someone should tell Average to get up off his arse and get a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You cant work it out like that, money can be allocated from a number of departments.
    I'm sure you can go on the SW website and do the maths yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

For what purpose?

What method are you using to calculate the true adverage

How many of the people on the dole have kids 1,2,3,4

How many have none.

How will these stats impact on easch other.

I think you will do no better than pat kenny. In fact I think you will do worse.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just got called in today to be told my claim for JSB was successful. €26.90 per week and it took them from October 8th to figure that out. If you can tell me how to get €35k out of them let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It's quite possible for them to get that much if they claim everything and have their mortgage paid for too. Do they factor in medical cards also, which is going to be differant for each person? Is this the figure which the family get in their hand to spend on what they wish?

I guess we have a huge number of single people on there too which may get from 100 to 250 a week, factoring in rent allowance. Anyone I know on social welfare is on €196 a week.

I think you pay the first €24 or €25 on your rent and the government pay the rest up to €115 so you get €90 euro or there abouts for your rent in the best scenario. Figures may have changed over the past few months though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭cson

Unemployment benefit;

UK: ~ £50
    Ireland: ~ €150

So that disparity is only 2hrs up the road to Newry from Dublin and it's explained how exactly? Cos I don't know. And please don't anyone start giving this ****e about VAT/higher cost of living/cheaper fags & drink.... and so on.

Edit: To put it in more simpler starker terms; is it almost 200% more expensive to live in Dundalk than in Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's quite possible for them to get that much if they claim everything and have their mortgage paid for too. Do they factor in medical cards also, which is going to be differant for each person? Is this the figure which the family get in their hand to spend on what they wish?

I guess we have a huge number of single people on there too which may get from 100 to 250 a week, factoring in rent allowance. Anyone I know on social welfare is on €196 a week.

I think you pay the first €24 or €25 on your rent and the government pay the rest up to €115 so you get €90 euro or there abouts for your rent in the best scenario. Figures may have changed over the past few months though.

I don't doubt it, but the plank and his panel were making it out that most of the dolers were on this.
    An average would be alot closer to the truth, I'd imagine.
    You cant work it out like that, money can be allocated from a number of departments.
    I'm sure you can go on the SW website and do the maths yourself.

I never said sw payments, I said how much the govt pay out i.e. total benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

cson wrote: »
    Unemployment benefit;

UK: ~ £50
    Ireland: ~ €150

So that disparity is only 2hrs up the road to Newry from Dublin and it's explained how exactly? Cos I don't know. And please don't anyone start giving this ****e about VAT/higher cost of living/cheaper fags & drink.... and so on.

Edit: To put it in more simpler starker terms; is it almost 200% more expensive to live in Dundalk than in Newry?

How much is the dole in sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ive been turned down the JSA twice now, ive been means tested both times. I have been unemployed for 16 months and cant get a job anywhere. I have been completely honest with the social both times and we are struggling living off her wages alone.

When i apply again for a 3rd time im going to lie threw my teeth to get JSA, the system is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I got average money when I was on the dole.

I was so p*ssed off I marched right in there and confronted them. Average money just doesn't cut it for me I said and by god they jumped to it. From then on out I got excellent money, far far better than average money. Not more money just better money.

I don't doubt it, but the plank and his panel were making it out that most of the dolers were on this.
    An average would be alot closer to the truth, I'd imagine.

Yea, this is not a good thing if that's their plan. Last thing we need is another "the dole is too much" thread. We all know how that went.

The public will now think that people on social welfare have fantastic lives... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Sorry, I know you're trying your best to be funny here but I think the above is grossly offensive to people like myself who are not pajama layabouts but rather, made redundant.

Think its a very insensitive and generalistic comment which labels all of the posters in a particular forum within the Boards community.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

That example on pat kenny 35k = 20k dole (person 1 10k,person 2 - 6k, 2 kids 4k + extras 15k (extras = rent allowance + medical card.) what they forgot to mention rent allowance goes to the LANDLORD! Single parent can get up to 1200 in rent allowance but its not spending money for them its for landlord.
    Basically family 4 survive on 20k,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Trí wrote: »
    Sorry, I know you're trying your best to be funny here but I think the above is grossly offensive to people like myself who are not pajama layabouts but rather, made redundant.

Think its a very insensitive and generalistic comment which labels all of the posters in a particular forum within the Boards community.

It was meant in a sarcastic way.. sorry if I offended you :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Cheers for that URL. Much appreciated.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭questionmark?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Someone should tell Average to get up off his arse and get a job.

Slightly unfair comment IMO! The majority of people on the Dole want to work including Average and are unable to gain employment. Dont get me wrong their are people out their that see SW as a way of life these are the people who should be punished if they fail to look for a job or take a fas course.

35K??? seriously i find that hard to beleive.

Also the medical card is handy yes however they seem to take this as income but isnt it only of benefit to average if they have the misfortune to actually use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

how the hell is a family with two kids meant to live on 35k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

trad wrote: »
    Just got called in today to be told my claim for JSB was successful. €26.90 per week and it took them from October 8th to figure that out. If you can tell me how to get €35k out of them let me know.
    I thought Jobseekers Benefit was always about €200? Since it isn't means tested.

I might be going on JSB if I dont find a new job before my current contract expires and if account dries up, I was hoping it will be more than thirty euro... for the old hunger and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I have been unemployed for 16 months and cant get a job anywhere.

Nothing? Nada?, Not a sausage? Nobody would give you anything to do a few hours work in the last 16mts, seems impossible.

• Advertisement

It was meant in a sarcastic way.. sorry if I offended you :o

If you are really sorry, you should edit that link to read: "Unfortunate but awesome people" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

bryaner wrote: »
    Tosser

No need for that, he did apologise...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Slightly unfair comment IMO! The majority of people on the Dole want to work including Average and are unable to gain employment. Dont get me wrong their are people out their that see SW as a way of life these are the people who should be punished if they fail to look for a job or take a fas course.

35K??? seriously i find that hard to beleive.

Also the medical card is handy yes however they seem to take this as income but isnt it only of benefit to average if they have the misfortune to actually use it?
    I knew there'd be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

No need for that, he did apologise...

Sorry my fault I should have read on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

bryaner wrote: »
    Tosser

Do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Nothing? Nada?, Not a sausage? Nobody would give you anything to do a few hours work in the last 16mts, seems impossible.

Well of course a few days here and there, it all goes on bills or food. Its not living, its surviving. In FAS atm, so hopefully something will come out of this.

Which is another gripe. FAS will now only pay you the same as what the dole pays you. So for me its 0 euro for 10 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

There are so many people applying for every available job out there right now, that it seems very, very possible that somebody could be unlucky every time they apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

That example on pat kenny 35k = 20k dole (person 1 10k,person 2 - 6k, 2 kids 4k + extras 15k (extras = rent allowance + medical card.) what they forgot to mention rent allowance goes to the LANDLORD! Single parent can get up to 1200 in rent allowance but its not spending money for them its for landlord.
    Basically family 4 survive on 20k,
    Of course RA goes to the landlord. All rent (regardless of where it comes from) goes to the landlord. However the service (rented accommodation) is paid for by the government. It can be considered as part of the monies provided by the state to a person on SW.

For most people, working or not-rental and mortgage costs are probably their biggest expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Been on the dole since finishing my masters in September. Graduated in December, got sick of being rejected job after job after job I applied for. When I got turned down for the last one I interviewed for (made it to the final four) I had enough and my old boss in Korea had been offering me a job back over there, so I decided to take it.

Worked my ass off here to get to college, get a degree, worked to pay for my masters then spent the past year blowing all my savings and studying like mad to achieve it.

Now I can't get a job and have to leave the country just to be guaranteed a job because sitting on the dole is not good for your sanity.

Thank you Ireland

Oh, I get 196 a week, don't claim rent allowance or anything else (except medical card)

Advertisement