Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I'm trying to go through the people or characters who were at one time or another part of both the todayfm show and the 98fm show on air or on the podcast.

This is the list I've got.
    Ray,
    JP,
    Adelle,
    Ann,
    Al,
    New guy Ken,
    Nordy,
    Muireann,
    Deeno,
    Adrian,
    Broadcaster Philip Egan :D
    Derek,
    Paul Collins(gauntlets),
    Una Saturdays,
    Jayo,
    Suzanne,
    Denis,
    Michelle(original producer I think that was her name)

I'm feel like I'm missing people but maybe I'm not.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I'm trying to go through the people or characters who were at one time or another part of both the todayfm show and the 98fm show on air or on the podcast.

Ray,
    JP,
    Adelle,
    Ann,
    Al,
    New guy Ken,
    Nordy,
    Muireann,
    Deeno,
    Adrian,
    Derek,
    Paul Collins(gauntlets),
    Una Saturdays,
    Jayo,
    Suzanne,
    Denis,

The two lads from Yesterday FM
    Tricky Dicky
    Wasn't there a Tracy who did a club anthem thing on a Friday?
    The guy who said "GOOOOOOOOO!" at the start of the show for a few weeks.
    Me on two separate occasions. :cool: :pac:

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Tricky Dicky

Yesterday FM ? Maybe I've a blank spot on that. Oh yeah the "ray had a little friend" guy. I don't remember a Tracey. As in you were on air or in podcast email form.

I'm trying to think of my favourite single moment from both shows.

Tricky Dicky

JP shouting YEEAAAHHH to home and away and Adelle losing it. Did Ann do something similar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭elmoslats

Ray,
    JP,
    Adelle,
    Ann,
    Al,
    New guy Ken,
    Nordy,
    Muireann,
    Deeno,
    Adrian,
    Derek,
    Paul Collins(gauntlets),
    Una Saturdays,
    Jayo,
    Suzanne,
    Denis,

One of the Corrs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gutted the show is coming to an end. I used to listen to the podcast on my commute to and from work. Now what will I do. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

The bare two pages of shock from around 7 boardies says it all really about how this shows number was up.
    Leaving Today for 98 in a huff because he couldn't get Dempseys gig was the worst move of his career.

If anything it has cemented comunicorps decision that he wasn't breakfast show material.

Just compare the reaction to this decision to the shock and uproar and petitions that followed Will Leahys removal from The more music drive and you'll realise this was coming a long time.

Damn. His was the only show I listened to on 98fm. No more DJ Jayo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,224 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Least unexpected 'surprise' in radio, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Very disappointed. Will really miss him in the mornings. Only show I listen to on the radio, so it'll be back to podcasts in the morning as well as evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

Get him back on the national airwaves!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

The bare two pages of shock from around 7 boardies says it all really about how this shows number was up.
    Leaving Today for 98 in a huff because he couldn't get Dempseys gig was the worst move of his career.

If anything it has cemented comunicorps decision that he wasn't breakfast show material.

Just compare the reaction to this decision to the shock and uproar and petitions that followed Will Leahys removal from The more music drive and you'll realise this was coming a long time.

Leaving in a huff? Don't think that was the case...wouldn't have been on air for weeks after he decided to go if that was the case.

Anyways, genuinely gutted he's leaving...98FM's statement makes no mention of JP so i'll be tuning in tomorrow morning to see what they say. Listening to todays podcast now and knowing the story now its interesting listening to the start and them alluding to it all coming to an end.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Brian maher and Luke o faolain taking over brekkie on 98 after Xmas

Where'd you see this? I'd be very surprised because Luke O'Faolain is only on iRadio a couple of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭DopeTech

buster180 wrote: »
    Looks like the breakfast show is over, Hope they are getting an afternoon show instead.
    foley.png

Aw no,where to now for Ray and JP?

That's Tracey Clifford, who they knew from their spin days, she's now on 2fm weekday afternoons. Paul Carass done some good mixes on the today FM show too.

What the #$%^ am I going to listen to in the mornings now...balls, might download a rake of podcasts before 98FM remove them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Leaving in a huff??? Really? Do you just make stuff in real life aswell or do you just save that for Internet forums?

Really hope the ntn podcast makes a comeback. I'd be happy enough with a decent hour long podcast once a week. Pity it didn't work out for them but I'm sure they'll bounce back, even JP! Been a fan since the spin days.

If what was said about Brian Maher and the like fella starting in Jan is tru i'll be resetting my preset.

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Do you just make stuff in real life aswell

What????

So he left national radio for regional radio because he was completely happy in the way things were going at Marconi house and he got on with everyone at the station?

Ya sounds completely plausible.

Everyone knows he always publicly had aspirations for breakfast radio so when his first choice didn't work out (Dempseys Gig) he settled for the next best option (98fm) which was a major downgrade but at least it looked like he was still calling the shots instead of just being told stay at lunchtimes.

His ego was then so inflated and massaged from lunchtimes on Today that he thought he would carry his audience and expand on it, prove his worth at breakfast on 98fm and make the grand return to breakfast on Today and name his own terms.

Well that totally backfired and now he's eating humble pie and fleeing a sinking ship under the masquerade that he's going to focus on working on Irelands third most popular tv channel with the big names like Martin King! Alan Hughes! and Glenda Gilson!

He will fade away into mediocrity simply because he was dillusion about his popularity and his appeal to the Dublin audience.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yesterday FM ? Maybe I've a blank spot on that. Oh yeah the "ray had a little friend" guy. I don't remember a Tracey. As in you were on air or in podcast email form.

I'm trying to think of my favourite single moment from both shows.

Yesterday FM was a bit they used to do where they'd put on the deep voice effect and talk like they were doing hospital radio.

I was on air once towards the very end where I won €4 of Ray's money for guessing a One Direction song (never received that money btw Ray! :P) and once scoring The Gauntlet. Had a few emails read out through the years too, I think I annoyed them a bit tbh. :o

JP's "SMELL MY MANHOOOOD!" followed by Ray's screeching of laughter has to be my all time favourite moment. At least, it's the one that jumps to mind.

Genuinely interested in where you got that from? It was my understanding that they left Today FM on pretty good terms, to a station in the same group, after being given like a month on air after the announcement... Is there evidence to the contrary or was this just a trolly-troll comment?

I also wouldn't equate the reaction here as anything meaningful. The Foley thread has always been a small core of people as far back as I remember.

I disagree with you here. I could very well be wrong, but I genuinely believe that in a looser formatted show on a national station, the lads would thrive. IMO a huge problem with the show was that the lads couldn't (or wouldn't) do the stuff that made them popular in the first place.

• Advertisement

Worry that 98FM's Big Breakfast could be JP, Muireann and a new main presenter since no mention of them with the Foley leaving announcement?! Honestly can't see Foley not doing radio moving forward...why is tomorrow morning so far away, I want to know dammit!

What????

So he left national radio for regional radio because he was completely happy in the way things were going at Marconi house and he got on with everyone at the station?

Ya sounds completely plausible.

Everyone knows he always publicly had aspirations for breakfast radio so when his first choice didn't work out (Dempseys Gig) he settled for the next best option (98fm) which was a major downgrade but at least it looked like he was still calling the shots instead of just being told stay at lunchtimes.

His ego was then so inflated and massaged from lunchtimes on Today that he thought he would carry his audience and expand on it, prove his worth at breakfast on 98fm and make the grand return to breakfast on Today and name his own terms.

Well that totally backfired and now he's eating humble pie and fleeing a sinking ship under the masquerade that he's going to focus on working on Irelands third most popular tv channel with the big names like Martin King! Alan Hughes! and Glenda Gilson!

He will fade away into mediocrity simply because he was dillusion about his popularity and his appeal to the Dublin audience.

Ah so troll it is! If you do the same job for 6 years and something that is different, challenging, could be fun, and will pay you more money comes along are you saying you would stay where you are?

Also you seem to have a direct line to the mind of the man himself telling us his thinking and motives, impressive stuff...

Christ lads no need to be so offended and touchy about my opinions, that's the way I see it and the reason you don't is because you're looking through your Ray tinted glasses.

He's a regional radio presenter for feck sake, they're a dime a dozen and I'm sure he's not going to lose any sleep over you so you should take a leaf out of his book and move on.

Oh and have the rules on boards changed recently because as far as I can recall accusing someone of trolling because their view differs from yours is backseat moderation.

Or is it OK to do it when you're a Mod?

Christ lads no need to be so offended and touchy about my opinions, that's the way I see it and the reason you don't is because you're looking through your Ray tinted glasses.

He's a regional radio presenter for feck sake, they're a dime a dozen and I'm sure he's not going to lose any sleep over you so you should take a leaf out of his book and move on.

Oh and have the rules on boards changed recently because as far as I can recall accusing someone of trolling because their view differs from yours is backseat moderation.

Or is it OK to do it when you're a Mod?

I wasn't accusing, I was asking whether you had any evidence whatsoever to support your "he left in a huff" claim.

Ray was very open at the time that he had aspirations to do breakfast radio. Going to 98 was in everyone's interests at the time. Ray wanted to do breakfast, Ray was bored (by his own admission) of lunchtimes, 98 needed a new breakfast show, Ray had a proven track record of bringing in listeners (Blast and lunchtime show had some of the highest figures those slots had ever or have ever had), 98 offered Ray a truckload of money, 98 is part of communicorp so it potentially facilitated a move back to Today FM if the breakfast show went well and Dempsey needed replacing.

Sure, it didn't work out, it was always a gamble as to whether Ray could capture the Dublin audience (whom he was never overly popular with).

I also have to laugh at you equating working for TV3 with household names like Martin King and Alan Hughes as "fading into mediocrity". If that's mediocre, sign me up for a life of mediocrity please! :P

I also have to laugh at you equating working for TV3 with household names like Martin King and Alan Hughes as "fading into mediocrity". If that's mediocre, sign me up for a life of mediocrity please! :P
    These are the latest viewing figures that I copied from another thread, can you see even one TV3 programme listed?
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057421931/25

These are the latest viewing figures that I copied from another thread, can you see even one TV3 programme listed?

Plenty of tv3s staff have went on to work in RTE. What's stopping this from happening to Foley down the line. Sometimes you have to play the long game.

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you that TV3 don't pull in as high ratings as RTE, my point was that many TV3 presenters are as well known as their RTE counterparts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

The show has completely flopped with Dublin Listeners and FM104 are miles ahead of what was once a close fought contest. I wonder would Colm Hayes and that comedian lad get the gig?
    Its not about podcasts in Dublin its about listenership and it has dwindled under Foley's time in the slot. I don't completely blame him or his team. That talk show has not helped hardened 98FM listeners. They had to do something. He was at his best on Spin and his time on Today FM was enjoyable. I hoped he would give Nobby and Jim a run for their money but alas it never did.

bbability wrote: »
    The show has completely flopped with Dublin Listeners and FM104 are miles ahead of what was once a close fought contest. I wonder would Colm Hayes and that comedian lad get the gig?
    Its not about podcasts in Dublin its about listenership and it has dwindled under Foley's time in the slot. I don't completely blame him or his team. That talk show has not helped hardened 98FM listeners. They had to do something. He was at his best on Spin and his time on Today FM was enjoyable. I hoped he would give Nobby and Jim a run for their money but alas it never did.
    You should be banned from boards for life for suggesting the cringeworthy, crass, innuendo riddled, oh matron style of radio that those two clowns inflicted on the nation for over 6 months would be an improvement on the King.
    Al Porter is now RTE's flavour of the month and they are going to shove him down our throat at every given opportunity.
    And poor auld Colm has had the biggest fall from grace to the graveyard that is weekend breakfast and RTE Gold.
    Shame on you.

• Advertisement

A Chief Exec at UTV Media tweeted the Independent story on Foley leaving with one word "Interesting".

Advertisement