Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

how are you feeling now?

I don't mean this in a patronising way at all to the posters in here, but there's a common theme running through I've noticed, that when we drink (yes me included) we feel worse about things both at the time and for a while after. I've started to take it easier with drink now as I know it has a big effect on my mood the following day. it's just not worth it to me.

anyway, what I've been thinking a lot about lately is my social problems. have a beers coming up, and i'm going. I've been to so many, but because i've made myself so conscious of my lack of conversation skills i'm now feeling quite nervous about this.. and well talking to anybody in person. I don't know how other people do it. I mean, my brain just doesn't churn out topics of conversation. I usually end up talking about myself and my experiences if that's the way the conversation leads, but then i'm awfully aware that i might come off as self centred.
    Ah hmm, interesting you feel that way socially, as it's pretty close to how I've felt myself; fwiw, when out and about at any meets etc., I thought you seemed to get on and chat away rather well with people.
    I know what you mean though when it feels the opposite, I can find it a great effort, and it is very frustrating; seems like people who don't have the lack of social experience I do, are able to easily enjoy themselves when out, but for me, it often feels like a constant effort (but can be enjoyable despite that, just the sheer effort is putting me off it lately).

As for alcohol, while I enjoy a drink I actually dislike it when out socializing, find it makes it more difficult for me to find stuff to say, as (depending on what you drink) it can make you a bit tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Never knew this thread was here. Just waiting on official diagnosis but it seems I severe anxiety. To the point where its ruining every relationship I have. Generalised anxiety disorder is what the official term is I believe. I used to suffer from depression, suppose once that went away it developed into anxiety and its slowly killing me. When I get panic attacks the first thing I wanna do is hurt myself. Nearly threw myself into a river last week, thats how much I hated myself, how much my head physically hurt and how much I want this to go away :(

My friends tell me I'm being selfish. I get panic attacks with the smallest of things. I just hope regular therapy and fingers crossed a course of medication will help stop this. I've a long battle ahead of me to beat this ****ty thing. It scares the sh*t outta me cos I dont know how or when these panic attacks are gonna arrive in. and I never know how bad they'll get and I never know what I'll do. I just want this to be over. Its so draining :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'll reply properly to everything else later,i just wanted to say IHeartChemistry you need new friends,dont let anyone tell you you're being selfish,they're being selfish by expecting you to forget about how you're feeling.dont let them make you feel worse about yourself,they're not real friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nanndo

Just wondering if anyone else is on this for depression and how you're finding it? How long did it take to work for you and what side effects have you been having? Thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Never knew this thread was here. Just waiting on official diagnosis but it seems I severe anxiety. To the point where its ruining every relationship I have. Generalised anxiety disorder is what the official term is I believe. I used to suffer from depression, suppose once that went away it developed into anxiety and its slowly killing me. When I get panic attacks the first thing I wanna do is hurt myself. Nearly threw myself into a river last week, thats how much I hated myself, how much my head physically hurt and how much I want this to go away :(

My friends tell me I'm being selfish. I get panic attacks with the smallest of things. I just hope regular therapy and fingers crossed a course of medication will help stop this. I've a long battle ahead of me to beat this ****ty thing. It scares the sh*t outta me cos I dont know how or when these panic attacks are gonna arrive in. and I never know how bad they'll get and I never know what I'll do. I just want this to be over. Its so draining :(

I totally know how you feel, I hope therapy and medication will help you, it's horrible not being able to live your life happily.

I barely leave the house anymore, only to get food and that's rare. I have started having panic attacks as well. It pretty much sucks not having a life or friends and feeling sick all the time is awful. I'm finally going to go see a doctor about it so I'm praying they can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I ditched the course and got into a bit of an argument with the psychologist about it,I kinda criticised him for sending me to a place that was obviously not suited to me and he apologised in a roundabout sort of way,I also asked for a break from seeing him for a month or so,I just really want a break from focusing all the time on my feelings if that makes any sense at all?I just feel so burned out emotionally,as melo-dramatic as that sounds.

My counselor went on hols for a month, I wasn't happy about it but so much has changed for the better in the last month. A bit of time to reflect on what you want is good but it sounds like you and the psychologist aren't getting along is there any way of changing who you're seeing or are you kind of stuck with them or nothing. Hope things work out, I completely get what you mean by talking about feelings getting a bit tiring!

Ah you know whats wreaking my head for the last few years I thought my depression was dependent on my situation, now things are better I don't feel any different, things keep getting better I appreciate it, im active, doing all the things that make me feel better actually feeling better as well but at the same time not feeling good at all.
    Don't want to go on meds already in CBT, I will bring this up and people around me have told me I shouldnt feel sorry for myself and get on with things but its not happening and im doing everything I can.. and maybe give it time but its been years and its getting worse... maybe it gets worse before it gets better but I do feel kind of like im not on top of this.

I'm the same as you too.
    No idea what to say to people most of the time.

I sometimes wish real life were like online forums.
    That you could just waltz in and offer your opinion on something that interests you, and ignore things that don't interest you.

:D wouldn't that be great!
    And I hate small talk - have no idea at all how to do it!

I can often think of small talk conversations, problem is they don't interest me, and that probably shows as a general lack of interest in that person. just think of the normal topics - weather, big piece of recent news, politics, holidays...
    Karsini wrote: »
    I can add to this too. I agree with everything stupidusername and flutterflye just said.

I just don't know what to say to people. When that happens I seem to fall back on talking about myself, but I'd presume people get fed up of that. I'm terrible with small talk too.

It just seems that when I meet someone new I can't click with them, I consider myself too different to the majority of people out there. It happened twice in the last couple of weeks, makes me think I'm destined to be alone.

i'm very worried about talking about myself too, (even thinking now am i just bringing every topic back to my experiences :o) but I find myself trying to get into the habit of ending what i'm saying about something with turning it back on the other person, either ask the same question of them, or think about asking something about them that you would of a friend.
    Ah hmm, interesting you feel that way socially, as it's pretty close to how I've felt myself; fwiw, when out and about at any meets etc., I thought you seemed to get on and chat away rather well with people.
    I know what you mean though when it feels the opposite, I can find it a great effort, and it is very frustrating; seems like people who don't have the lack of social experience I do, are able to easily enjoy themselves when out, but for me, it often feels like a constant effort (but can be enjoyable despite that, just the sheer effort is putting me off it lately).

As for alcohol, while I enjoy a drink I actually dislike it when out socializing, find it makes it more difficult for me to find stuff to say, as (depending on what you drink) it can make you a bit tired.

thanks, but as i'm sure you know yourself it's a big effort to do what you do manage to do.

the drink thing for me is like something that makes me loosen up a bit, relax even in body language, so maybe people are more at ease talking to me, or maybe I care less about what people might think of what I say so i just say what i want.
    Nanndo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else is on this for depression and how you're finding it? How long did it take to work for you and what side effects have you been having? Thanks:)

sorry, not me anyway.
    saa wrote: »
    Ah you know whats wreaking my head for the last few years I thought my depression was dependent on my situation, now things are better I don't feel any different, things keep getting better I appreciate it, im active, doing all the things that make me feel better actually feeling better as well but at the same time not feeling good at all.
    Don't want to go on meds already in CBT, I will bring this up and people around me have told me I shouldnt feel sorry for myself and get on with things but its not happening and im doing everything I can.. and maybe give it time but its been years and its getting worse... maybe it gets worse before it gets better but I do feel kind of like im not on top of this.

this attitude enrages me. i feel so sorry for people that say they have people like that. if any one of my friends said that I'd probably never speak to them again. and while my brother did question 'what do you have to be depressed about' there's nothing I can do about my family.

how long are you in CBT? i'd be interested in doing that. how do you find it?

:D wouldn't that be great!

this attitude enrages me. i feel so sorry for people that say they have people like that. if any one of my friends said that I'd probably never speak to them again. and while my brother did question 'what do you have to be depressed about' there's nothing I can do about my family.

how long are you in CBT? i'd be interested in doing that. how do you find it?

I've been in CBT for two years at once a week take a while in hindsight I wish I could of saw what I wanted to change about my life/self sooner but its worth it!

Depends where you live but there's plenty of private counseling services and hospital programs/day clinics.
    There's also centres for victims of abuse that do cbt.
    Then there's the HSE of course so your GP can refer you or even might be able to offer a short term program to help cope with depression some of them have quite short waiting lists but im not so sure. Warning though in my experience the first thing doctors have tried to do to me is automatically put my on meds not right for everyone I would just be clear you're looking for CBT.

In the mean while theres aware but not sure if theres any charity that comes to mind that does one to one in person counseling for depression I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

Hi, terrible you feel that way - I have the exact same as you general anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Have you been to your gp? or are you on any medication - the medication will really help you to get over the bump and help you to see things more clearly.
    Anyone who hasnt had a panic attack or isnt close to anyone who suffers from anxiety or panic hasnt got a clue!!!
    Hope your feeling better today - so much out there to help you do think about it xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Diaell

Ive being getting anxiety attacks for awhile now and its starting to limit my life, ive always want to avoid going down the medication road because i dont want to become reliant on medication. Would people recommend medication? Ive tried nothing apart from trying to control it myself till now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

thanks, but as i'm sure you know yourself it's a big effort to do what you do manage to do.

the drink thing for me is like something that makes me loosen up a bit, relax even in body language, so maybe people are more at ease talking to me, or maybe I care less about what people might think of what I say so i just say what i want.
    Ya true indeed; I'm hoping that if I manage to settle into some kind of regular social group (maybe with the climbing I'm doing), that it will make it more relaxed/easier for me. Time will tell :)

Yea drink helps me to some extent like that, but I think I've found anything past one drink (due to my relatively low tolerance) gets counterproductive, if I start getting tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The weaning off process is tiring and horrible...

mdan wrote: »
    Hi, terrible you feel that way - I have the exact same as you general anxiety disorder and panic attacks. Have you been to your gp? or are you on any medication - the medication will really help you to get over the bump and help you to see things more clearly.
    Anyone who hasnt had a panic attack or isnt close to anyone who suffers from anxiety or panic hasnt got a clue!!!
    Hope your feeling better today - so much out there to help you do think about it xxx

No, I havent but I'm hoping to soon! Today was good. Just the fact I've finally been able to realise whats wrong is majorly helping me go forward. I can say that now cos I'm locked up safe. Still have yet to venture out into the big bad world I call home. My friends are starting to understand thank god. Lets just hope someday soon it'll stop killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

mars bar wrote: »
    The weaning off process is tiring and horrible...

Good luck with it! I tried last year and it didnt work out and I had to go back to my high dose. The mood swings were bad but also the sickness the first few days on a lower dose.

I really hope it goes well for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Anyone here suffer from cold hands & feet, even when the rest of your body might be really hot? Just reading something on another website so thought I would put it to you guys.

Good luck with it! I tried last year and it didnt work out and I had to go back to my high dose. The mood swings were bad but also the sickness the first few days on a lower dose.

I really hope it goes well for you. :)

Thank you! I don't have mood swings with them but it's just the physical feeling that is nasty. Like my brain is spinning around inside my skull and my body feels like it's on a stormy sea!

I'm resolved to not feeling sorry for myself after news of a young girl that played football with me and went to school with my sister overdosed last night and didn't make it. There is people worse off than me out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Hi all,

I've been suffering constant lightheadedness and feelings of being faint, as well as bad dizzy spells for the last 3 or 4 months. After tests that revealed nothing was physically wrong, my doctor has prescribed lexapro on the basis that my symptoms are probably caused by anxiety, although I actually don't feel THAT anxious. But maybe I'm just kidding myself...

Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone on here had used it in the recent past and what to expect from it? I'm on my first day and have heard it can cause drowsiness and be ineffective, but also that it can be a real lifesaver, so I wanted to see what the consensus was. :-)

Cheers all

Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Monokne wrote: »

Anyways, just wanted to know if anyone on here had used it in the recent past and what to expect from it? I'm on my first day and have heard it can cause drowsiness and be ineffective, but also that it can be a real lifesaver, so I wanted to see what the consensus was. :-)

y

I've been taking it for the last month or so, and find it good for anxiety and depression, and it helps sleep as well. My only side effect is a dry mouth, which is awkward and annoying, but may be something I will put up with. Apart from that I tolerate it well.
    However, everyone is different, and reactions are totally personal. You also need to give it a few weeks before you know it it'll work or not. I've never heard of it being prescribed for dizziness though, I wonder if that's your only problem, is that the only reason you've been given it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I'm taking it too and it's making me feel lightheaded and nauseous. I hope this passes soon as I wouldn't have the patience to tolerate it for weeks on end. Other than that, I don't know much about it.

• Advertisement

When I started taking lexapro I was really nauseated for the first week, I also slept for about 2/3 days straight! I had bad dizzy headaches too.

Stick with it, the side affects go away soon and hopefully it will work well for you, it did for me :)

You should have an appointment with your doctor soon to see how the side affects are going anyway, they will know best what's normal and whats extreme enough for you to stop taking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Im up to 20mg of lexapro and im finding really good, the difference bewteen 15mg and 20 mg is quite noticable, im still not sleeping but im in good mood, back in the clinic in tueday so i might ask to go up to 25mg or maybe a really really light seditive AD to help me nod off, after the disaster of augmenting lexapro with zispin last time, i put on 2 stone in 6 weeks, lost 8 pounds since ive being off zispin so next AD if i augment it will have to be one that makes you NOT eat your brains out

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Im up to 20mg of lexapro and im finding really good, the difference bewteen 15mg and 20 mg is quite noticable, im still not sleeping but im in good mood, back in the clinic in tueday so i might ask to go up to 25mg or maybe a really really light seditive AD to help me nod off, after the disaster of augmenting lexapro with zispin last time, i put on 2 stone in 6 weeks, lost 8 pounds since ive being off zispin so next AD if i augment it will have to be one that makes you NOT eat your brains out

What time do you take yours? I had insane insomnia when I started on lexapro and was advised it was because I was talking it at night. When I changed to taking it first thing in the morning I was grand. Just a suggestion to try if you do take it at night. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

What time do you take yours? I had insane insomnia when I started on lexapro and was advised it was because I was talking it at night. When I changed to taking it first thing in the morning I was grand. Just a suggestion to try if you do take it at night. :)

Yeah i take first thing in the morning still have insomnia had it for years, just cant seem to switch off, i found zispin helpful for nodding off but i wasnt getting the right kind of sleep, too much dreamy REM sleep was always knackered tired the next day, never mind the food craze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

When I started taking lexapro I was really nauseated for the first week, I also slept for about 2/3 days straight! I had bad dizzy headaches too.

Stick with it, the side affects go away soon and hopefully it will work well for you, it did for me :)

You should have an appointment with your doctor soon to see how the side affects are going anyway, they will know best what's normal and whats extreme enough for you to stop taking it.

That's good to know, thanks :)
    Yeah, I'm wrecked. Finding it hard to get out of bed.
    How long did it take for the side affects to subside?

No wonder I was away with the fairies yesterday...I had my days mixed up and went two days without my tablet instead of one.

It's amazing how quickly the effects come on when you forget one...

girlonfire wrote: »
    That's good to know, thanks :)
    Yeah, I'm wrecked. Finding it hard to get out of bed.
    How long did it take for the side affects to subside?

The worst went away within the first 2 weeks, like the nausea and exhaustion. Had insomnia, lack of appetite and dry mouth for maybe 2 months. Dizzy headaches maybe about a month. But all gone without 2/3 months for sure. Mood started to improve after about 6 or 8 weeks I think.

The first days are the worst, so many times I thought I would just stop taking them but be strong and stick with it :) Worst part was everyone thought I was just really hungover but I didn't want to tell them the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Going to a wedding tomorrow which I'm dreading,small talk,awkward conversations,looking stupid in my cheap ass shirt and slacks etc.Ridiculous I know,cos absolutely nobody will be paying any attention to me whatsoever,if only I could convince my brain of that.

Its getting so bad I'm physically getting sick from it. Spent all morning throwing up =/ Insomnia is killing me as well. I've hit breaking point and need to get myself to a doctor asap. This is not going to plan at allll :(

• Advertisement

Its getting so bad I'm physically getting sick from it. Spent all morning throwing up =/ Insomnia is killing me as well. I've hit breaking point and need to get myself to a doctor asap. This is not going to plan at allll :(

Is your doctor open saturday?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement