Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

irishh_bob wrote: »
    sam34 wrote: »
    luckyfrank, please stop suggesting a diagnosis to other posters. you are not qualified to do this.

he suggested the other poster visit thier doctor , he didnt diagnose anyone , must you micro manage every posters every utterance , your an insuferable control freak

Not accepting that - no way. Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello, I started Lustral (sertraline) 50mg last Friday. I had plenty of initial side-effects: nausea, light-headedness, fogginess, loss of appetite, tiredness, restlessness and generally feeling out of it. Most of these have passed now, but I know feel more depressed than I did a week ago. Quite emotional and lacking in motivation.

I guess I'm just interested to hear of other people's personal experiences with Lustral. Did it get worse for you before it got better? How long did it take for it to "kick in"? Do you rate it?

Yeah give it time. It can take up to 3 weeks to fully absorb and take effect. Keep taking it and try focus on life rather than the pills. (easier said than done i know!)

I found that my mood did nothing for the first week or two but then it just lifted gradually.

Oh and on rating it, yes i do, it has brought me back from the edge of crippling anxiety. Give them a chance for a good period and if they dont work then there are many other meds that may suit you better.

For the last year or so I've been feeling like I'm suffering from anxiety. It's weird in that I never really had a name for it as such. I've always been a worrier but over the last year or two it seemed to get worse. I think my job exacerbated the problem to be honest. It's not going as bad now but there are still other things in my life that are worrying.

Anyway I went to a different GP about something else and I mentioned feeling anxiety quite often and he prescribed me Xanax. I have to say I think it helps. He only gave me a 2 week supply but so far I've managed to make it last about 2 months. I only take one or two tablets a week on average when I'm feeling anxious and it seems to calm me a bit. I think think dosage is quite light - 250mg but regardless it seems to stop my brain going into overdrive and calms me a bit.

I don't know how easy it will be to get a repeat prescription for them. But I think I will try as it's a relief to know I have them as a backup.

Just giving my own experience in-case there are others out there who are in a similar boat.

On it too wrote: »
    Yeah give it time. It can take up to 3 weeks to fully absorb and take effect. Keep taking it and try focus on life rather than the pills. (easier said than done i know!)

I found that my mood did nothing for the first week or two but then it just lifted gradually.

Oh and on rating it, yes i do, it has brought me back from the edge of crippling anxiety. Give them a chance for a good period and if they dont work then there are many other meds that may suit you better.

Thanks for your insights. I was at the doc yesterday. At this stage I'd been on them six days. He said he could notice a change in me already, less nervy, he said. Moved on up to 100mg today. I hope my concentration and motivation improves, and I hope I begin to feel less depressed and overwhelmed soon.

That's great that it worked for you, it must be a great feeling. :D I will give it a good shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Long time lurker of this thread. I've also posted in here unreg., although god knows why 'cause I'm not the most active member of boards in the first place.
    I started a new anti-depressant about 6-7 weeks ago. I started to feel the effects 2-3 weeks ago and all was going well. My mood stabilised and I felt I was starting to get on top of things again.
    Over the last few days though my mood has started to plummet again along with a very strong urge to cut myself. I wasn't expecting this as I was so relieved that the tablets had finally kicked in. I'm not sure what this means and I won't get to see my GP for another 3 weeks :(
    It's really hard to remain upbeat and positive when things are up and down like this.
    I'm sure things will pick up again, as they always do. I just hate that low sinking feeling in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

girlonfire wrote: »
    Long time lurker of this thread. I've also posted in here unreg., although god knows why 'cause I'm not the most active member of boards in the first place.
    I started a new anti-depressant about 6-7 weeks ago. I started to feel the effects 2-3 weeks ago and all was going well. My mood stabilised and I felt I was starting to get on top of things again.
    Over the last few days though my mood has started to plummet again along with a very strong urge to cut myself. I wasn't expecting this as I was so relieved that the tablets had finally kicked in. I'm not sure what this means and I won't get to see my GP for another 3 weeks :(
    It's really hard to remain upbeat and positive when things are up and down like this.
    I'm sure things will pick up again, as they always do. I just hate that low sinking feeling in the meantime.

Let a loved one know excatly how you feel or if your uncomfortable letting a loved one know tell your doctor , i had dark thoughts while getting use to zispin, Its extremely important you let your doctor either by phone or seeing him in person know you are feeling or a loved one

I hope it's ok i post this link, ive found tihs website really helpful and very resourceful while looking into my illness, especially regarding medication information and other people's experiences

http://www.depressionforums.org/forums/

Thanks for that link LuckyFrank. I'm going to have a look at the website now. Yes, I realise it's important to notify someone and will do. I'm just surprised that things stabilised and then dipped so suddenly again.
    I'm trying to remain hopeful that this will pass sooner rather than later.

girlonfire wrote: »
    Thanks for that link LuckyFrank. I'm going to have a look at the website now. Yes, I realise it's important to notify someone and will do. I'm just surprised that things stabilised and then dipped so suddenly again.
    I'm trying to remain hopeful that this will pass sooner rather than later.

It's quite normal for AD's to have an initial up phase and then a leveling out and sometimes a drop, i had both up's drop's and leveling out on both lexapro and zispin, some people need one AD some need a combination like me, i first started taking AD'S in jan it's a rollorcoaster of a ride and it's only now after many false dawns that i feel nearly better

Keep the faith ive being were you are and ive come out the othe side you can too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 opelastra

came back from being abroad about a month ago and now am split with my gf of 4 years and one my friends died of cancer last week at 24:(

• Advertisement

I'm going to see a doctor next week about feeling depressed and anxious. This will be the first time I've ever seen anyone about mental health issues (I'm only 20), and I'm really, really nervous about it. I don't know what I'll say or how I can explain how I feel, and I feel as though he won't take me seriously. I'm very worried about it, and I almost feel like cancelling the appointment just so I won't have to face it. I don't know what to say to him. I know that I'll go in there and just say something incomprehensible about feeling down or something, and then he will think that I'm a time-waster or something. I'm very anxious about this. It's also being made worse by the fact that I know this doctor is the same doctor my parents go to, and he'll know who I am. I know there's patient-doctor confidentiality and all that, but I'm just so worried (this is one of my big problems, in my head). I'd just like some advice from people who've already done this as to how to deal with it. I'm afraid. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I felt exactly like that before I went to speak to my family doctor about feeling depressed for the first time.

Doctor's deal with this all the time and there is absolutely nothing for you to be nervous or ashamed about.He is there to help and support you.If it helps,maybe you could write down the main points of what you want to discuss with him so you don't forget if you get flustered.That's what I did and it worked very well.He legally cannot tell anybody else about what you and him discussed so don't worry about that either.

All I can say is that you will feel so much better after you've seen him and discussed how you are feeling.

Best of luck!!

Thanks for your insights. I was at the doc yesterday. At this stage I'd been on them six days. He said he could notice a change in me already, less nervy, he said. Moved on up to 100mg today. I hope my concentration and motivation improves, and I hope I begin to feel less depressed and overwhelmed soon.

That's great that it worked for you, it must be a great feeling. :D I will give it a good shot.

Ya it works. Another family member of mine was one them for a while too and never looked back since.
    Dont worry your concentration will improve, 6 days isnt long at all! Haha i know when im anxious i have no patience, along with many other things but at some stage you will realise you are having happy it thoughts. Its a great experience!

If you can try and take the mindset that you are getting help and part of that is giving the meds a chance.
    I find now when people talk to em about taking meds, they are afraid of the taboo of taking them. My answer is always the same, "i was worried too at the stage, but 4 months later i was happy and wondered why i worried at all."
    So if your feeling way happier in a few months time will you really care that you have to take a little pill everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

hi guys just wanted 2 say iv been suffering from depression from a young age used 2 take panic attacks wen i was younger round 9 didn't know it at the time iv been taking zispin for 6 yrs now and was on xanex i nearly got off the tabz but then the doctor gave me lustral and had the biggest panic attack of my life i didnt know if i was a heart attack or panic attack i got told by a mate who has panic attacks i shud try valium been on them a year now im doin good on them can drive try 2 lead a normal life but i get mad dizzy sometimes i do have problems with my kidneys am not amneic but i get awful dizzy spells was just wondering does anyone else have them or just me x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Printemps93

I'm finally out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I'm finally out

what does that mean?

what does that mean?

last time I posted in here i was in a bad way , im finally outta hospital

last time I posted in here i was in a bad way , im finally outta hospital

oh great. are you feeling better?

oh great. are you feeling better?

no im only out this weekend , back in tuesday

You need stilnoct on top of zispin? I was on Zispin for a few months before and it knocked me out within an hour of taking it. Everyones different i suppose. I have had this low level depression or dysthymia for over ten years and generalised anxiety for around that too. On prozac now which helps mood but makes me very apathetic. Binge drinking too every few weeks which makes me ten times worse. I find exercise very good for anxiety and mild-moderate depression as well as regular sleep/wake times, too much sleep makes me more depressed. It's become like a chronic condition for me now that has seen me waste much of my twenties trying different anti depressants(most of them made me worse) , waiting for years to get psychological treatment. become addicted to sleeping tablets etc etc. Bit more hopefull at present so hopefully i can keep improving in my thirties.

I can relate to a lot of what you said pal

• Advertisement

no im only out this weekend , back in tuesday

Oh ok.what's it like?

Oh ok.what's it like?

not a place you wanna go , nurses are nice though

not a place you wanna go , nurses are nice though

Well I mean what's going on there,if you dont mind sharing

Well I mean what's going on there,if you dont mind sharing

medication changes in my case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

man I don't know why I am saying this, as I usually keep all my feelings locked up in a safe but I swear I was going to drive my car over a cliff on the way to newgrange a while ago.

ok I wake up some days and just say to myself what is all this crap, every day theres a problem with money or debt comes into it and I just go back into my bedroom and lie down for a while but I swear if I get anymore **** i'm ****ing gone. the only reason why I am still here is my family. I love them to much so I cannot take the easy route. unless I get my **** together and get out of this i'll snap.

but there again when I feel like this I always think of other people that are in a worse state than me and I just say to myself, it could be worse.

@zenno It's so difficult dealing with debt problems. I hope something happens to help out with your situation. Sounds like you're under a lot of pressure. I can relate to a certain extent. My life feels as though it's being ruled by my financial situation at the moment. I'm so sick of it all. Hang in there mate.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to get a grip on my anxiety of late. I feel like the only way I can do things which involve leaving the house is to self-medicate. I feel very isolated from my supports too (doctor and therapist) due to my financial circumstances at the moment. While both are very supportive, it makes me feel a bit pathetic that I can't avail of that when I'm in such a **** position:mad:

i have spent the last few days reading this thread and want to post here, I hope it's ok. I think some of you are so brave to keep ploughing through each day with the way you have been feeling, some of you for so long. It's also good to see people posting on their good days and not just disappearing after being so low - a bit scary when people disappear but maybe it's for good reasons. I really hope you all find a bit of happiness or a way of living with your feelings.

I have been looking here because I have been diagnosed with severe depression but really don't think I am depressed. Although the occasional thing someone has said here has resonated with me I don't see myself as ill in any way. I never reached out for help but somehow got caught up in the system. I'm coming under great pressure to take anti-ds, go into hospital etc etc. I am having some strange thoughts but I think I am functioning well. I am quite confused as to what is going on and beginning to think maybe there is something in what i am being told. But can't understand how or why some strangers would know me better than me. I have agreed to attend a day hospital only because I am scared of being hospitalised against my will (this has been openly threatened) or of being separated from my children. My husband does not think I am a threat to them or myself but all the mental health professionals etc I have seen seem to think I shouldn't be left alone. I feel sure I wouldn't actually DO anything stupid, even though I have been thinking about it a lot. I thought I made this clear to them but I feel like they've ignored me.
    I can't understand how there are desperate people on waiting lists and everyone is hounding me when I haven't asked for anything other than to be left alone. I don't see how anyone can help me and I will not go on pills unless I feel like there is no other option. Right now I just want time to work things out myself.

I know this is a huge ramble and hope I don't sound too crazy. Feel a bit like I'm hanging by a thread. These people are scaring me and I am dreading seeing them again this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

@ frogface.you don't sound crazy but you do sound like you are having a very confusing and scary time of it. I can't say I blame you. I can identify alot with what you say in relation to not thinking you are ill.

All we can do here is relate our own experiences and offer our support to each other. Speaking form my own experience, a few years ago I was in a very bad way myself. I didn't think I was ill as I thought I knew what made me feel so low (there had been an accumulation of tragic events in my life and I put my extreme sadness down to these, of course they did trigger it but that doesnt mean I wasnt ill ). In retrospect I can see now that I was very ill at the time and was at risk. One of the things I have learned is that, left unchecked for too long, depression start to feels normal. It affected what I saw as rational, too. Thankfully I had people around me who could see how things were going for me and insisted I check in with them frequently to make sure I was ok. With time it did lift itself and I picked up some great coping skills along the way. But looking back now I'm shocked at how messed up my head was back then and the fact that I just didnt see it. I really am lucky to be here now. Most frightening of all is how irrational I was at the time. I never want that to happen to me again, because once I'm in it I can't tell what is normal thinking and what is depressed thinking. Which is why I went to the Dr last week as my mood had been slipping for some time. I don't like taking anti-Ds either. No-one does. For me they are last resort. But I never want to be as messed up as I got a few years ago and if they can stop that from happening then I will take them.

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is that sometimes depression has a way of tricking you into thinking you are not ill. It can be very hard to see it. It's good that you are going to the day hospital. I can understand why you are afraid of being hospitalised against your will, who wouldnt be? Perhaps you could try to take the anti-ds for a while, just to see if they make you feel any different? You've got nothing to loose by trying, have you?

Whatever you decided, I wish all the best.:)

@Printemps: I'm glad to see you posting on here again and hope you'll be out of hospital soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

After a year or so of fiddling around with medication, I was finally settled and things started to get back to a level of relative normalcy, but in the past few months, I've had uncontrollable muscle spasms (literally every minute of the day) and the worst shakes, to the point where I could barely hold a mug of tea for fear of scalding myself. Doctor's currently trying to find out which of the meds is causing it, and started by tapering the efexor down to 225... And the change is actually terrifying me. Although the shakes and spasms have definitely subsided a little, I've been bursting into tears at random points and am having horrible migraines. Definite drop in mood. I'd been looking forward to returning to education in September but I'm terrified that this is all going to start again. It can't.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    @Printemps: I'm glad to see you posting on here again and hope you'll be out of hospital soon :)

that night was the scariest ever

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement