Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Had a really bad weekend with my Anxiety, almost panic attack like symptoms. I don't know if the likely timing of stopping TMG (Tri-methyl-glycine) supplementation has anything to do with it.

After having a read about anti-anxiety medication and it's usefulness alongside therapy (CBT etc) I was thinking about perhaps using it in the 'very' short term to help me boost through things. I was wondering can you simply ask your Psychologist to perscribe some?

a psychiatrist would be the person to prescribe something for you, a psychologist wouldn't be able to. but if you don't see a psychiatrist you could visit your doctor and talk about it. I can't see asking to be on something as something they'd be receptive to, but you could bring it up as an option anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

I think they are 15mg

Did you gain any weight?

Yes i did gain weight i put on a stone in 4 weeks but the hunger side affect only lasted 4 weeks for me and then they go away, 15mg is the starter dose you should notice a difference on that dose but it's really 30mg for a theraputic affect which your doctor will decide next time you see them,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

:(

For the first time in four years my mood has slipped down to the point where I think I need to see a Dr. I feel angry/tearful/nothing at all in no particular order.My confidence and self-esteem are plummeting.

I really thought I'd seen off the black dog for good. I feel weak and a failure.

I'm able to be supportive and understanding of others who need support for depression/anxiety but when it comes to myself I see it a character flaw.

I bloody hate the first few weeks of ADs (if that is what the outcome will be) and I won't get any support at home so will have to try and mask the adjustment symptoms or explain them away as something else.

A rough few weeks ahead. I think you'll be seeing a lot of me on here.

Still, I have to act now. I went to some very dark places in the past and have no intention of going there again.

Edit: I just realised that the last paragraph could be interpreted as something it wasn't intended to! I mean I need to be pro-active and take care of myself, not the opposite!

Sardonicat wrote: »
    :(

For the first time in four years my mood has slipped down to the point where I think I need to see a Dr. I feel angry/tearful/nothing at all in no particular order.My confidence and self-esteem are plummeting.

I really thought I'd seen off the black dog for good. I feel weak and a failure.

I'm able to be supportive and understanding of others who need support for depression/anxiety but when it comes to myself I see it a character flaw.

I bloody hate the first few weeks of ADs (if that is what the outcome will be) and I won't get any support at home so will have to try and mask the adjustment symptoms or explain them away as something else.

A rough few weeks ahead. I think you'll be seeing a lot of me on here.

Still, I have to act now. I went to some very dark places in the past and have no intention of going there again.

it's good you feel the motivation to get help though. well done. make sure and follow through

it's good you feel the motivation to get help though. well done. make sure and follow through
    Thanks, SU. How are you getting on with the new meds, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Thanks, SU. How are you getting on with the new meds, if you don't mind me asking?

I think they're doing me good.i've come out of the big depression I was in,weepy angry upset every hour of every day,but my mood isn't exactly good either. I'm putting my progress down to the tablets.must be,as I was in that for a couple of months. Psychiatrist appointment is next week,for review of these,so he'll probably up the dose.

Thanks for asking :)

I think they're doing me good.i've come out of the big depression I was in,weepy angry upset every hour of every day,but my mood isn't exactly good either. I'm putting my progress down to the tablets.must be,as I was in that for a couple of months. Psychiatrist appointment is next week,for review of these,so he'll probably up the dose.

Thanks for asking :)
    Ah, Im glad to hear that! Fair play to you for sticking it out til you got the right meds. It was worth it in the end, eh? Here's hoping your mood will continue to lft and thank God you're out of the "mood ringer" at last, you really were going through it there for a few months.

It's a nice bit of encouragement for the rest of us, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Yes i did gain weight i put on a stone in 4 weeks but the hunger side affect only lasted 4 weeks for me and then they go away, 15mg is the starter dose you should notice a difference on that dose but it's really 30mg for a theraputic affect which your doctor will decide next time you see them,

Thanks, will give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

I'm a bit fed up with myself at the mo. Went to the shopping centre today and while I was in one of the shops a friend of mine I know well came in to browse around and I was filled with fear that she'd spot me and I'd have to chat. The same thing happens anytime I see someone I know in public. The only exeption would be my immediate family and my very closest friends. I can't pin down what exactly it is that I'm afraid of. I know part of it is that I don't feel comfortable in casual conversation and feel that it is a charade that I have to act out - and not very well. When I have to chit-chat with someone I don't know well I can't concentrate on what they're saying. I'm nervous so I talk too fast. All I want to do is get away. It's getting me down as it's happened a few times this week where I've ignored someone I know, hoping they don't see me so we don't have to talk.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I can identify up to a point.

It's not so much an anxiety, moreso the charade aspect of these encounters . I just don't seem to be able to motivate myself to put in that much effort. I just couldn't be arsed pretending I don't feel like sh!t at the moment and so have gone into avoid mode. I don't want people to notice I'm "not quite myself", either. And that seems to perpetuate the viscous cycle of not being able to resume contact->isolation->feeling crap->no motivation/energy->not wanting to talk to people and so on. not good.

do you ever just want to shout "Fcku off" at someone spouting inane nonsense?

Reading over this post I realise it really is GP time!:eek:

Thank god I've still got my sense of humour.:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

All the time:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh hell yes Although 9 times out of 10, that person is me so I can shout quietly at myself in my head and not draw too much attention to myself!

Last time I went to psychiatrist (who, in a remarkable turn of events, was someone I had seen before; playing "Musical Doctors" must have gotten boring.) my Effexor was moved up to 150mg. It's now been about a month and a half since I was switched from Lexapro to Effexor and I find it working a lot better for me.

I really think I'm starting to get a bit better. :) And that seemed impossible only a few short months ago. Of course, it's premature to start thinking about being cured or anything like that....but a few small steps in the right direction is reassuring. The big difference between me now and me a few months ago is that I actually WANT to get better. I have an idea as to what I want from the future and have learned to stop clinging to the past.

Anyway, this will hopefully be reassuring to anyone reading that may be feeling shítty about life right now and sees no relief in the near future. Please don't give up. Keep trying. Sometimes life can surprise you and throw something good your way that you never saw coming. :)

Well, I made the appointment. Thurs morn. Will have to see how it goes.

I have decided that I'll develop a "mystery virus" for a week ot two as my cover story if I'm put on ADs and get the "yawnies" while they are kicking in.:rolleyes:

It's great to see some of you are feeling an improvement.

It's like a see-saw around here - some of us go up and then some of us go down.

Today drained me. One of those days where nothing seemed to go right. :(

A girl from my support group and a contributor to this thread died last week

A girl from my support group and a contributor to this thread died last week

I'm very sorry to hear that, Ms.Bo :(

I'm very sorry to hear that, Ms.Bo :(

We live in the same county but we were far from friends

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

not feeling too good these past few days atall but today took the biscuit - i went to see cars with the 3 kids - my great and wonderful mind started to play tricks on me and i had the most awful panic attack - i had to go to out to the car and get something to help me - it was awful i thought it would never end - god they are just the best in the world and i love them so so much i just wish this would go away somedays and leave me alone :( i really thought it was another a+e job definately though it was a heart attack and what was i going to do if it happened in the cinema and what would happen to the kids etc etc etc etc and on and on and on and on......feeling better now - didnt go to a+e - didnt have a heart attack!!! Its just not easy when your in the throws of it..... hope i will have a nights sleep, its just all a bit mental sometimes xx
    I wouldnt mind but i was looking forward to seeing the bloody movie

mdan wrote: »
    not feeling too good these past few days atall but today took the biscuit - i went to see cars with the 3 kids - my great and wonderful mind started to play tricks on me and i had the most awful panic attack - i had to go to out to the car and get something to help me - it was awful i thought it would never end - god they are just the best in the world and i love them so so much i just wish this would go away somedays and leave me alone :( i really thought it was another a+e job definately though it was a heart attack and what was i going to do if it happened in the cinema and what would happen to the kids etc etc etc etc and on and on and on and on......feeling better now - didnt go to a+e - didnt have a heart attack!!! Its just not easy when your in the throws of it..... hope i will have a nights sleep, its just all a bit mental sometimes xx
    I wouldnt mind but i was looking forward to seeing the bloody movie

Sounds very like gad to me, have you being diagnosed ?

Sounds very like gad to me, have you being diagnosed ?

whats that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

whats that?

GAD = Generalised anxiety disorder (i think)

mdan id go to the doctors and ask for refferal to see an psychiatrist, you'll be on a long waiting list if you go public so id do it now, i had the same symptoms you have, maybe your doctor will treat you himself, but i wouldnt leave it and hope it goes away, it doesnt

Dont hesitate to ask me any questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

luckyfrank, please stop suggesting a diagnosis to other posters. you are not qualified to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello, I started Lustral (sertraline) 50mg last Friday. I had plenty of initial side-effects: nausea, light-headedness, fogginess, loss of appetite, tiredness, restlessness and generally feeling out of it. Most of these have passed now, but I know feel more depressed than I did a week ago. Quite emotional and lacking in motivation.

I guess I'm just interested to hear of other people's personal experiences with Lustral. Did it get worse for you before it got better? How long did it take for it to "kick in"? Do you rate it?

mdan id go to the doctors and ask for refferal to see an psychiatrist, you'll be on a long waiting list if you go public so id do it now, i had the same symptoms you have, maybe your doctor will treat you himself, but i wouldnt leave it and hope it goes away, it doesnt

Dont hesitate to ask me any questions

Well I was on citalopram and decided to go off them myself in april - i dont know were they doing me any good to be honest - was always still expecting something to be or go wrong with me...I did go back to the doctor there in june with the palpitations and to be honest Im blue in the face from practising the breathing - having said that I do think my doc is good and he is helpful - me and my hubby did have a chat last night and decided we will have to try something else though.
    thanks for reply would love to know how you sorted out the health anxiety side of things :P

Well I was on citalopram and decided to go off them myself in april - i dont know were they doing me any good to be honest - was always still expecting something to be or go wrong with me...I did go back to the doctor there in june with the palpitations and to be honest Im blue in the face from practising the breathing - having said that I do think my doc is good and he is helpful - me and my hubby did have a chat last night and decided we will have to try something else though.
    thanks for reply would love to know how you sorted out the health anxiety side of things :P

I still get palpitations and those weird twitchy 'not quite palpitations' things, ive done the whole a+e thing, ive seeing a cardioligist had all the tests wore the holter for 24 hours, all came back clear, ive accepted that it's anexity causing the palps but i wouldnt have being able to do it with out medication, serotonin regulates mood but it also has an affect on your heart if there is an imbalance there it can cause palps

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello, I started Lustral (sertraline) 50mg last Friday. I had plenty of initial side-effects: nausea, light-headedness, fogginess, loss of appetite, tiredness, restlessness and generally feeling out of it. Most of these have passed now, but I know feel more depressed than I did a week ago. Quite emotional and lacking in motivation.

I guess I'm just interested to hear of other people's personal experiences with Lustral. Did it get worse for you before it got better? How long did it take for it to "kick in"? Do you rate it?

Adding to this, I also feel quite out of it.

Well, I followed through and went to the GP.

I actually had a physical issue to discuss as well as dipping mood and that took up more time than expected. As I havn't bothered a Dr in over four years he gave me a good going over and a few blood tests as well

Dr. was very sympathetic and seemed to trust my own judgement and assesment of my mood and took my history history into account. (I've never seen this GP, my own is off sick right now)

Anyway, the upshot is Prozac and a sleeper in case it causes insomnia. I already feel a little bit relieved at finally speaking to someone and not having to struggle keeping the low mood secret.

Not due to go back for a month though, to get results for bloods. Still, I can keep a close eye on myself and keep a mood diary. Anything too extreme and I'll head straight back.

Off to take my first dose now. Can blame any dopeyness on the painkilers he gave me for the migraines (I know they don't cause dopeyness, but the family doesn't ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭muddled1

Same

Me too, and for along time. I've made the decision not to leave behind the legacy of suicide for my daughter, my only family. But nearly every day I hope I will die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

sam34 wrote: »
    luckyfrank, please stop suggesting a diagnosis to other posters. you are not qualified to do this.

he suggested the other poster visit thier doctor , he didnt diagnose anyone , must you micro manage every posters every utterance , your an insuferable control freak

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement