Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

It's been a very slow week for me. Did the same thing I always do and felt empty and bored after it. Was talking to my mam and felt awkward that I had nothing new to talk to her about.

One of my real problems is it feels like I can't think for myself. I find it hard to make my own decisions or do my own thing. So I don't think outside the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Karsini wrote: »
    It's been a very slow week for me. Did the same thing I always do and felt empty and bored after it. Was talking to my mam and felt awkward that I had nothing new to talk to her about.

One of my real problems is it feels like I can't think for myself. I find it hard to make my own decisions or do my own thing. So I don't think outside the box.

^^^I know exacltly what you mean, feel the same.

I have got myself in a real rut recently, feel pretty trapped by it at the moment. My life has been on hold for the last year (yes a whole year), very little has happened and I have pretty much locked myself away from the world and given up a little bit. Problem is that I used to be very motivated and ambitious in life but all that is gone, very little makes me really happy and my goals have all disapeared. I can't just snap out of it or change my thoughts, I can't pretent their is joy and happiness if I just don't feel it. I just want to sleep and let time drift away:(

I'm with you there. I've been like this for feck knows how long. I don't know if I don't trust myself to make decisions or whatever, but I'm certainly ashamed of my creativity.

I lived in Kerry for 10 years and moved back to Dublin in 2007. When I moved back, I got a job with a company I had been dealing with for years as a customer, couldn't imagine myself working for someone I didn't know. Then when I got the job I had to choose a place to live, I chose Drumcondra because I knew a girl there. I'm living in Fairview now as it makes more sense for me work-wise, but it was actually my sister-in-law who found this flat on Daft.

I'm from Ballyfermot originally and if I were to listen to everything my gut tells me I'd be living there now, despite working in Fairview and therefore being a pain for me to get to work. Every weekend I visit family in Ballyfermot, if I stayed in the flat all day I'd just be comfort eating and watching television or staying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mdan

Only came across this type of thread when I saw it in the new post feed. Was trying to find a place like this, I guess just been wanting to see other peoples experiences and views on this.

This would be my first post on this type of thing, I guess I just want to talk about it.

Been suffering from anxiety (both 'General' & Social) for all my life. I guess bullying through school was the catalyst. The social anxiety was bad for a long time but it's been getting better, particularly over the past year. I am generally ok with friends and family (although not always, even though these people are the closest to me) but even now trying to do things such as going to events where there are strangers is still posing a problem. I don't 'shut down' per say, but the thoughts of doing so just makes me feel uncomfortable and possibly being in those situations too.

General anxiety is still a constant bother. Constantly anxious/thinking all the time I think is wearing me out so much. I have huge problems with Fatigue and it's quite debilitating in trying to lead some normality for certain things. Thing is, I sleep well & I get plenty of sleep, but the thing with fatigue is that it doesn't go away with rest. It's constantly there from before you sleep until you wake up the next morning. Severe problems with concentration/brain fog doesn't help matters either.

I actually can't remember the last time I felt 'normal', it's been that long. Completely agree with Museit & Stupidusername, In a way it feels like you want to think 'Its just the way I am'.

Regarding Depression, I don't know 100% if I am or not. I would say I might be on the minor side of things (I have been seeing a psychologist, he thinks non-to-minor depression). I'm generally happy and my mood isn't normally affected daily (sometimes severe Anxiety does impact it though). I have goals and things I want to pursue & If anything the anxiety and fatigue make me a little depressed because I feel like I can't do much some days, rather than an opposite.

Iv been looking into Physiological factors as well (Allergies, deficiencies etc) but it takes a fair bit of time (and money) to try eliminate things. Psychologist wants to try some CBT so hoping to see how it works :)

Apologies for a seemingly rantish first post :D. They say writing stuff down is one of the good ways of feeling a bit better, I thought on a forum with people who share the same thoughts wouldn't be a bad idea :)
    Hi, are you taking any medication for the anxiety - I have health anxiety pretty bad and the social not so bad if my husband is with me. He has to go to USA tomorrow for a week and I am so worried that something will happen me or the kids while he is gone - thinking so many thoughts now its just mad ( im not mad though im normal guys rite?? )....I take cipramil and i think it helps anyway but when im having a really bad panic day i take a rivotril to help me..thank god you can sleep i find it so hard to get to sleep and with 3 small guys its hard when your tired and then the tiredness triggers the panic and the anxiety - i swear it just goes on and on - years now!!! - anyway sorry for the rant and it is good to write things down - i feel a bit better now - going to watch the darts and hope it will make me fall asleep xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

mdan wrote: »
    Hi, are you taking any medication for the anxiety - I have health anxiety pretty bad and the social not so bad if my husband is with me. He has to go to USA tomorrow for a week and I am so worried that something will happen me or the kids while he is gone - thinking so many thoughts now its just mad ( im not mad though im normal guys rite?? )....I take cipramil and i think it helps anyway but when im having a really bad panic day i take a rivotril to help me..thank god you can sleep i find it so hard to get to sleep and with 3 small guys its hard when your tired and then the tiredness triggers the panic and the anxiety - i swear it just goes on and on - years now!!! - anyway sorry for the rant and it is good to write things down - i feel a bit better now - going to watch the darts and hope it will make me fall asleep xx

Heya

Not taking any medication. Iv only just recently sought help about it, at the moment it's just looking like giving CBT therapy a try.

It's hard to pin-point everyones type of anxieties and I agree just some days can be worse than others, particularly when you're tired. When I do feel very anxious I actually sleep more, because it makes me feel better (not necessarily thinking much when Im asleep).

Glad you feel a bit better sharing it with us :). I know I was a bit hesitant, few of my friends post on Boards and although they kind of know about it, Iv never really talked to them about it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ended up cancelling the cinema sunday after all. spent all of sunday in bed, bar an hour to make food and wash up. was so tempted to take yesterday off work, but I knew if I did, I'd sleep lots, and mess up my patterns again. so while work pisses me well off, and I did end up getting upset over some thing, I was right to go in. it was better that I did.

I forced myself out last night for a walk. felt good to have done it. but i don't know that I'll do it tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Up to 30mg zispin tonight im a little excited and nervous

• Registered Users Posts: 36 periwinkle

I'm really ticked off today. I had an appointment with the psych at my local day hospital this morning and I'm so cross after it. This is my second time meeting him so we're only getting to know each other, but I feel very left down by the service. He is very brisk to the point of putting me on edge. I feel like another number. He doesn't ask me how I am at all. Even his diagnosis is based on the referral letter from my GP and the personal details I gave the SHO. I feel uncomfortable asking any questions as he tends to dismiss them. It feels like he's not interested at all. He's given me a life-changing diagnosis of bipolar disorder and I really feel like I'm on my own with it.

I can't afford private treatment but I'm going to try and arrange an appointment with a different psych for a second opinion.

Has any one else not clicked with their public psych, and requested a change?

In good news, the Lamictal seems to be taking effect - deffo feeling better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

periwinkle wrote: »
    I'm really ticked off today. I had an appointment with the psych at my local day hospital this morning and I'm so cross after it. This is my second time meeting him so we're only getting to know each other, but I feel very left down by the service. He is very brisk to the point of putting me on edge. I feel like another number. He doesn't ask me how I am at all. Even his diagnosis is based on the referral letter from my GP and the personal details I gave the SHO. I feel uncomfortable asking any questions as he tends to dismiss them. It feels like he's not interested at all. He's given me a life-changing diagnosis of bipolar disorder and I really feel like I'm on my own with it.

I can't afford private treatment but I'm going to try and arrange an appointment with a different psych for a second opinion.

Has any one else not clicked with their public psych, and requested a change?

In good news, the Lamictal seems to be taking effect - deffo feeling better. :)

I was in counselling before seeing the psych and they are so different. The psych doesn't want to talk (from my experience), they just want your symptoms and hand out tablets. If you want someone to listen, go to a counsellor or talk to a family member or friend if you can.

But that's the thing - I don't even get a "how are you doing?" He just looks to see what was the last entry in my chart, then writes me up a new script. It's literally as brief and as bare-boned as that. I attended a psych privately about ten years ago and my experience was very different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

periwinkle wrote: »
    But that's the thing - I don't even get a "how are you doing?" He just looks to see what was the last entry in my chart, then writes me up a new script. It's literally as brief and as bare-boned as that. I attended a psych privately about ten years ago and my experience was very different.

I attended a private psych at a cost of 250 euro for an assesment. 10 minutes later I left feeling like I had been robbed, complete waste of time, you cannot asses somebody in 10 minutes especially someone with lifelong problems like myself. I never went back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

the psychiatrist that I go to (a whole two times) has just dealt with the drugs part so far. I've been told i'll get talk therapy, but it's at least another month before that happens. so maybe you're not yet started on the therapy part?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Pretty much the same story with me,only I was given a bit more attention for my first 3 or 4 appointments with my first psych cos I was referred to her on the back of a failed suicide attempt.Once she diagnosed me though every meeting lasted about 5 minutes-look at my chart,brief question about any side effects and then another script.

She's gone now and I've met my new pysch in the community clinic twice over the last 6 months and the meetings are over in less then 5 minutes,just a new 3 month script then out the door again.

The psychologist though has been a great help,see her once a week and she's been very proactive in helping me improve my mood and thoughts,she's a lifesaver tbh,if I didn't have her I'd feel totally abandoned by the mental health services.Was a 2/3 month waiting list but was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Hi Guys -

Those of you who were online late last night will have noticed that a number of posts from then have been deleted. These posts were from a user expressing a wish to commit suicide and replies from other posters imploring them to get help.

In situations like this, the mods have to make a judgement call as to what to do in the best interests of the forum and the posters. We don't claim to be experts and we certainly don't claim to be professionals. All we can do is take each situation as it comes and try to figure out whats best to do. In this case, we decided it would be better to remove these posts, and once again, to urge anyone who is experiencing suicidal thoughts to seek proper help. You can get more information about the help available from Aware or The Samaritans

Finally, thank you to all the posters who did their best to try to help with a difficult and distressing situation last night. Please be assured that the deletion of your posts is no reflection on the quality or motive behind them. Similarly, to the poster expressing the thoughts, please do not feel like you are not welcome to post in this forum at any time. The removal of the posts and the replies are the mods attempts to do what we think is best for the posters and the forum and is in no way a judgement or punishment.

Please feel free to pm any or all of us if you've any questions or comments - but please don't comment on this post in this thread.

thanks,
    mod team.

It's hard to restart the conversation after what happened last night, but I'll give it a go. :)

Just thanks to everyone who replied to my post about my psych dealing with me so briskly. I'm a bit more realistic in my expectations of him now. He did mention getting therapy separately yesterday - they have therapists on the staff, so hopefully I'll get an appointment with one of them eventually. I asked him about my problems with social avoidance - I can't answer a telephone, feel panicked in the local shopping centre for fear I'll meet someone I know and have to talk to them, avoid my friends a lot of the time. Particularly when I'm depressed, I can't even go into a shop or even go to the post office for a stamp - I panic at having to conduct a transaction. He said it's just my personality and not something he can help with.

I attended a psych privately about ten years ago, was going to her for about two years. The appointment was always an hour long, and she tried to help me with my outlook. We talked about different issues I had at the time. I guess every psych is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Escar

Is anxiety curable without medication?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Escar wrote: »

A lot of people find CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) very good, it helps to change the way you think. You could ask your GP about getting a referral to a CBT therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

CBT has helped my anxiety quite a bit in combination with my meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Escar wrote: »
    It would be although depending on the level on anxiety, medication may well help to give you a good kick start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Escar

Once the root of the anxiety is treated do the physical symptoms stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Anyone taking Zispin? If so did you get any side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Could somebody drop me a PM please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Could somebody drop me a PM please?

What for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Anyone taking Zispin? If so did you get any side effects.

Hi im taking zispin at the moment to augment lexapro, if your depression is causing you insomnia then zispin will defiently help, my experience was the first few days you feel almost drunk on them as your body get use to the medication, it does get better you'll sleep 10-12 hours eaisly and getting up in the morning is really hard, i experince lucid dreaming and have unusal dreams too, i now take it at 7.30 to off set the morning grogginess and it helps to an extent,

What dose are you starting off on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What for

I presume so he can just have a chat.

It's what boards is here for! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Hi im taking zispin at the moment to augment lexapro, if your depression is causing you insomnia then zispin will defiently help, my experience was the first few days you feel almost drunk on them as your body get use to the medication, it does get better you'll sleep 10-12 hours eaisly and getting up in the morning is really hard, i experince lucid dreaming and have unusal dreams too, i now take it at 7.30 to off set the morning grogginess and it helps to an extent,

What dose are you starting off on ?

I think they are 15mg

Did you gain any weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

mars bar wrote: »
    I presume so he can just have a chat.

It's what boards is here for! :)

Oh .Silly me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Had a really bad weekend with my Anxiety, almost panic attack like symptoms. I don't know if the likely timing of stopping TMG (Tri-methyl-glycine) supplementation has anything to do with it.

After having a read about anti-anxiety medication and it's usefulness alongside therapy (CBT etc) I was thinking about perhaps using it in the 'very' short term to help me boost through things. I was wondering can you simply ask your Psychologist to perscribe some?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

This site is very good I think www.anxietynomore.co.uk.
    However I do use medication so dont agree with it in that respect.

Does anyone have a pattern like me - about 2 days bad then OK for a week or 2 then pattern repeats. It usen't be like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement