Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cloud493 wrote: »
    I had my third? Pieta house appointment today. And basically she said 'you've got some very dark thoughts Matthew so I'm gonna refer you to your GP'
    Sounds a bit like passing the buck to me.
    I agree with Lightbulb Sun.

Be sure to visit your GP as soon as you can.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It doesn't sound terribly reassuring to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

It doesn't sound terribly reassuring to be honest.

Pieta are crisis management. GP has more power / influence than you know.

Do you already see a psych team?

But yeah, it absolutely sucks to be referred on somewhere else when you just start & just open up.

Hersheys wrote: »
    Pieta are crisis management. GP has more power / influence than you know.

Do you already see a psych team?

But yeah, it absolutely sucks to be referred on somewhere else when you just start & just open up.

No I've never done that sort of thing. She said il still see her on Tuesdays, this is just extra help.

In which case there is no harm in chatting to your GP. Have you made the appointment yet?

• Advertisement

No she said she'd call him first and make the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I've been suffering with depression/anxiety issues for the past 8 or so years and things have steadily gotten worse. While I've had counselling on and off over the past few years I've only recently confronted the issue properly. I'm just out of a 10 week stay at a mental health facility due to how bad I was feeling and while I came out of there, 6 weeks ago, in a much more positive frame of mind, things seem to getting bad again mood wise. I can't seem to maintain a positive mood for any reasonable length of time. I am currently participating in an out patient program to help with recovery but its only starting so its unrealistic to expect much from that at this stage. I have an appointment with my consultant next Monday and while I'm functioning relatively normally, every day is a massive struggle. I guess I'm frightened, about if I can manage this and what sort of a future I can have. I'm not even sure why I'm even writing this, I just need to get some of this out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

No I've never done that sort of thing. She said il still see her on Tuesdays, this is just extra help.

Cloud493, the way I'm reading that she's trying to get you additional support, not passing the buck. Perhaps she didn't explain it properly. Hope you get the apointment soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭Esel

token56 wrote: »
    I've been suffering with depression/anxiety issues for the past 8 or so years and things have steadily gotten worse. While I've had counselling on and off over the past few years I've only recently confronted the issue properly. I'm just out of a 10 week stay at a mental health facility due to how bad I was feeling and while I came out of there, 6 weeks ago, in a much more positive frame of mind, things seem to getting bad again mood wise. I can't seem to maintain a positive mood for any reasonable length of time. I am currently participating in an out patient program to help with recovery but its only starting so its unrealistic to expect much from that at this stage. I have an appointment with my consultant next Monday and while I'm functioning relatively normally, every day is a massive struggle. I guess I'm frightened, about if I can manage this and what sort of a future I can have. I'm not even sure why I'm even writing this, I just need to get some of this out in the open.
    It sounds tough for you right now.

At least you will meet your consultant soon - be sure to tell them how things are for you.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    It sounds tough for you right now.

At least you will meet your consultant soon - be sure to tell them how things are for you.

Thanks, Yes I certainly will be, all cards will be laid out on the table and no holding back. Even now I'm not sure I've communicated just how dark things get for me, I need to make sure that is understood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hi token.

Firstly well done for getting through what you have so far. It will get better!

What I found scary when I left hospital was the lack of security that the hospital gave. I dived straight in to Recovery Inc. and therapy. Unfortunately when I came out there were only 2 therapy sessions then the month long summer break. That month of no support was bad.I thought I would have to be brought back in. Felt like I was going crazy for the 3 weeks. Had to have an emergency meeting with Consultant.

This is not meant to scare you but to let you know that its normal. Leaving hospital is the hardest part. Its the next stage of the journey. Go to therapy, Recovery Inc./Aware, meditation etc. These will help massively over the course of time.

I left hospital on June 13th last year and the hardest time was July/August and September. I rang the hospital loads and on my first night back home in tears. Its part of the process but YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT!!

Best,

ulinbac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Well done on writing here!
    while I'm functioning relatively normally, every day is a massive struggle. Friend the worst is behind you, you must learn to live one day at a time. Live in 'The Now'. Be very gentle with yourself, there is no need to start running when you only feel like walking! Yes you will pass this stage too.
    Regarding the future, there is no need to worry about it , none of us know what the future holds. Certainly when we start feeling well enough we may make plans for the future.
    Meanwhile enjoy and make the most of everyday. Try and get some exercise each day and ensure your diet is good. Sleep, and a good sleep regime is so important to aid your recovery. If you feel the need for a nap in the afternoon, not more than an hour should help recharge the batteries without interfering with your night's sleep.
    A cup of coffee and cake in your favourite coffee shop with a close friend will help break the isolation and help improve your self confidence. Smell the aroma of freshly brewed coffee, it is very comforting.
    Life is for living. Be extra kind to yourself, because you are worth it.:)
    I write this as a fellow soldier in the battle against Depression and fully understand what you are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Aaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Had to do that,
    Thanks,
    Bye.

phi3 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. Had to do that,
    Thanks,
    Bye.

Hope you feel better after that. However, come back if you dont. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Such ups and downs, not able, head truly roller coastered out. And this week was relatively quiet. I'm dizzy. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

Ok, so I finally have an excuse to go to my GP. The thing is, I'm not depressed or down right now, so I feel like I wont have much to say to my GP and he'll just brush me off saying I'm fine.

Its mainly the anxiety I want to talk about, which comes in waves or during specific events, and I think thats where the depression stems from.

This is so silly. If I was feeling like s**t I would have a massive list of things to say but now I'm a bit blank/dont have the motivation to talk about it :confused:

tosspot15 wrote: »
    Ok, so I finally have an excuse to go to my GP. The thing is, I'm not depressed or down right now, so I feel like I wont have much to say to my GP and he'll just brush me off saying I'm fine.

Its mainly the anxiety I want to talk about, which comes in waves or during specific events, and I think thats where the depression stems from.

This is so silly. If I was feeling like s**t I would have a massive list of things to say but now I'm a bit blank/dont have the motivation to talk about it :confused:

You don't need an excuse to go to your GP. Just go and tell him about the anxiety because thst's the main issue. You are in the right frame of mind to address it now, jot down any thoughts you have on the subject between now and your visit and take the notes with you. I used to play silly guessing games with the GP, but one day I just thought I'm paying for this service so I want to get the best treatment for me. So basically I guess I'm saying dont go in with a rash on your elbow and throw in the anxiety just before you leave, tell him what the problem is.

Such ups and downs, not able, head truly roller coastered out. And this week was relatively quiet. I'm dizzy. That is all.

Aw you poor thing. Can you squeeze in a 10- 15 minute meditation before you start the day? There is some great meditation music on Youtube, I particularly like one called "expand your mind" its only 10 mins long but it stops my head from taking over for a while. Hope tomorrow is a better day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

murria wrote: »
    You don't need an excuse to go to your GP. Just go and tell him about the anxiety because thst's the main issue. You are in the right frame of mind to address it now, jot down any thoughts you have on the subject between now and your visit and take the notes with you. I used to play silly guessing games with the GP, but one day I just thought I'm paying for this service so I want to get the best treatment for me. So basically I guess I'm saying dont go in with a rash on your elbow and throw in the anxiety just before you leave, tell him what the problem is.

When you go to the GP tell him/her everything you can about what you see as the problem, how it affects you both long term and day to day. Dont wait for the GP to ask you in depth questions.
    I once went with a physical problem which they would have seen as mild and were about to tell me that this was me and something Id have to live with.This had already happened at a different GP a couple of years before. When I then told this GP it was affecting my self confidence quite badly she immediately sat up and prescribed me something.
    I wonder if they are not allowed to ask leading questions or something.
    Anyway make sure they understand how YOU see the problem.
    Good luck!

I just want to say thanks for the messages of support, it really does mean a lot. The past day or two has been a bit better, it really is a take each day as it comes basis.

But thanks again!

• Advertisement

I swore I wasn't going to inflict this torture on myself by remembering dates religiously but it's 2 months today since I last cut myself.

I swore I wasn't going to inflict this torture on myself by remembering dates religiously but it's 2 months today since I last cut myself.

Think of it as celebrating your success. Treat yourself to something nice today and I'll raise a glass to you later on. Well done! :)

Hersheys, you are a shining example and inspiration. Keep up the good work!
    I too will raise a glass to you and all our contributors here wishing you all a very happy weekend:)

Hey Guys,

Just wondering how the meet-up at the red cow went?

ulinbac wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

Just wondering how the meet-up at the red cow went?

Went very well. Met up with wonderful people.Exchanged experiences, stories and a few jokes. Looking forward to meeting more contributors next time:)

Went very well. Met up with wonderful people.Exchanged experiences, stories and a few jokes. Looking forward to meeting more contributors next time:)

Second that. I was a bit nervous about going, but I had such a good night. Really glad I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jerry2013

Is anyone is in Galway I am looking friends with same anxiety like me so that I won't feel paranoid and weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Jerry2013 wrote: »
    Is anyone is in Galway I am looking friends with same anxiety like me so that I won't feel paranoid and weird

In my experience, it's worse to hang around with people who feel the same. Anxiety breeds anxiety. Surround yourself with positive people and you might feel better.

Could you have it on a Saturday next time? Will come over from London then. Can't do weekdays.

• Advertisement

In my experience, it's worse to hang around with people who feel the same. Anxiety breeds anxiety. Surround yourself with positive people and you might feel better.

Agree wit NC here. Have 2 friends from hospital for support but both are very positive. Too many down people can be a bad influence and overwhelming. We have enough issues on our own without 5/6 other peoples anxiety/depression problems.

Its good to talk to people in similar situations and learn but a group full of potentially negative people is not healthy for you or them! Keep anxiety support friends to 1/2 people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement