Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

I'm the opposite, when I'm bad I can't talk about it to my family without getting all emotional and bawling! :D:o

You're making me feel a lot less abnormal :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Crying is amazing - seriously. Do not feel bad for crying. Lots of people cry over nothing. Crying is a sign of strength, not weakness. It took me 10 years of therapy to realise that. 10 years of sitting opposite (essentially) a stranger, telling them my deepest, darkest secrets. Never letting myself cry. For the first time, this year I cried in therapy. Not a proper sobbing cry that I do alone, but a cry nonetheless, and it felt so good.

I cry often. Rarely around people, but as Call Me Jimmy said, it's cathartic. I was on holidays and it was such a relief to sit with my sunglasses on and let the tears flow. It was so emotional! But I felt so much better for it.

So cry! Cry all you like. It helps. Don't hold it in.

Talk to us. I know we're not your friends (yet) but we understand. Use us. My PM box is always open and I'm never uncontactable. Keep an open channel of communication though - don't bottle it up.

Would you consider going back to the doctor to discuss other options? Perhaps the meds you were on just didn't agree with you. Perhaps your GP can refer you for counselling? It helps.

It will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So I went to the psych doctor today and she wants me to wait until tomorrow to see if this current blip of anxiety goes. If it doesn't then my seroquel dose will be increased. A nurse will ring me and visit me tomorrow to discuss the above. I have to say how impressed I am with my psychiatrist. She asked to see me and fit me in for an appointment just a couple of hours after I rang the homebase team. She said I was right to call. She doesn't want me taking another valium though like I did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Sounds like you're in good hands there lukesmom. It is scary finding a lump anywhere, but at least you know yours is nothing to worry about. Hope the anxiety passes soon and all is well.

murria wrote: »
    Sounds like you're in good hands there lukesmom. It is scary finding a lump anywhere, but at least you know yours is nothing to worry about. Hope the anxiety passes soon and all is well.

Thanks a lot appreciate your reply.

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    So I went to the psych doctor today and she wants me to wait until tomorrow to see if this current blip of anxiety goes. If it doesn't then my seroquel dose will be increased. A nurse will ring me and visit me tomorrow to discuss the above. I have to say how impressed I am with my psychiatrist. She asked to see me and fit me in for an appointment just a couple of hours after I rang the homebase team. She said I was right to call. She doesn't want me taking another valium though like I did today.

Well done for taking the initiative on calling the psych. Sounds like your psych is on the ball too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I was put on medication for 3 months and took it every day..it made me feel awful. I felt absolutely exhausted, on top of my other feelings so I stopped taking it and haven't gone back to the doctor to discuss alternative options.
    Hersheys wrote: »
    Would you consider going back to the doctor to discuss other options? Perhaps the meds you were on just didn't agree with you. Perhaps your GP can refer you for counselling? It helps.

It will get better.
    What Hersheys said! Were you in touch with your doctor during those 3 months? Any adjustments to your dosage?

Sounds like whatever medication you were on did not suit you at all. Often a change of drug can make a huge difference. You really would benefit from another consultation with your doctor, imho. Tell him/her how you are feeling now, and how your previous medication affected you.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Esel speaks the truth there. A change of meds can make so much difference, I know this from experience.

Esel speaks the truth there. A change of meds can make so much difference, I know this from experience.

+1.

I was on combinations of lexapro, lexotan, zyprexa and lyrica for nearly two years and I was like a zombie but still low mood. When I was changed to lustral it was like a switch had been flipped (even though I had bad thoughts after switching).

Just has the nurse from the homebase team around there. She told me to take the valium for next day or two. I've to take the xr version of seroquel tonight 200mg instead of my usual 75mg twice a day. So the anxiety will lessen thank fcuk x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hi guys wonder if you have any suggestions for this. I have pieta house at 12 on tuesday, but I have college classes till 1. I don't really know what to say to the people at college.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hi guys wonder if you have any suggestions for this. I have pieta house at 12 on tuesday, but I have college classes till 1. I don't really know what to say to the people at college.

Hope I'm not oversimplifying this, but tell them you will need to leave early/not come in on Tuesday, as you have a medical appointment. Or do you even need to say anything? Going by my daughter's course lots of people don't bother going in on a Friday as they were out drinking on Thursday, no one bats an eyelid.:)

Hope I'm not oversimplifying this, but tell them you will need to leave early/not come in on Tuesday, as you have a medical appointment. Or do you even need to say anything? Going by my daughter's course lots of people don't bother going in on a Friday as they were out drinking on Thursday, no one bats an eyelid.:)

No not at all. Just that they've said they count a missed lesson as a half day, so two lessons would be a day. And apparently you need medical Certs to prove it. But I don't know how that'd be enforced.

No not at all. Just that they've said they count a missed lesson as a half day, so two lessons would be a day. And apparently you need medical Certs to prove it. But I don't know how that'd be enforced.

Sounds a bit extreme just for one missed day. I would have thought certs would only be required if you were missing an exam. Could you maybe send an email to the Welfare Officer and check out the policy? There's no need for you to explain what your appointment is about, just a medical appointment.

Is attendance recorded cloud? Just say "medical appointment" and try schedule pieta around lectures for next time.

It is, they take it quite seriously. I just don't want them thinking I'm the kind of bloke that skives all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say Pieta House will give you a note to say you attended for an appointment. Ask at reception. That should suffice for college.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

Im going abit crazy at the moment,about 6 months ago,following some awful panic attacks in my sleep,i started constantly focusing on my breathing like its become a conscious thing,****ing horrible.unable to focus on anything else.last few weeks then i started hearing music in my head,just ****e pop songs id hear in shops playing in a loop.im not sure if im hearing the music or is just me thinking it.funny thing is when the music thing started it kinda stopped me thinking of the breathing constantly but its still there .got diagnosed with GAD disorder at mental health unit last week and put on 2 anxiety meds.only starting them last week,early days.ive been on other meds during the last 6 months to no avail.im worried ive been misdiagnosed as i didnt express myself fully with the doctor there as i felt uncomfortable.some clued up guys on here just looking for ideas or another perspective.they suggested CBT but im unsure if this would be helpful as its all about your thought process but ive only got 2 thoughts at the moment!

Hi JD

Firstly, sorry to hear you've been going through a rough patch. It's great that you managed to talk to your doctor. Stick with the meds - they will hopefully work soon. Stay linked in with your GP / psych though in case you need to get your meds adjusted.

Secondly. CBT works. I did CBT for anxiety about 18 months ago and it was great. If you can, go for it. I was diagnosed with GAD too and now my anxiety attacks are under control.

Have you told your doctor you hear music?

Hey JD I was diagnosed with GAD a few months ago. I was hospitalised it got so bad. I started seroquel and this changed my life as I was suicidal when depression joined in the mix. Cbt is excellent also but not really for me. I was hearing stuff in my head to but it was really racing thoughts and songs but now that has stopped thank God as I thought I was going crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

cheers for the responses.im not sure what road to go down.im thinking of seeing a private psychiatrist who specializes in treatment and medication.or sticking with my GP's plan and doing CBT,im really torn.ive been to the public psychiatrist but spent most of the time with the junior doctor,what can i expect from a private psychiatrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

cheers for the responses.im not sure what road to go down.im thinking of seeing a private psychiatrist who specializes in treatment and medication.or sticking with my GP's plan and doing CBT,im really torn.ive been to the public psychiatrist but spent most of the time with the junior doctor,what can i expect from a private psychiatrist.

JD,

What exactly is your GP's plan?

Who referred you to the psychiatrist.?

I'm really not sure what a Private Psychiatrist can do for you that a Public Psychiatrist has not already done for you.

I am guessing the GP referred you to the Public Psychiatrist who reported back to your GP and as a result is recommending CBT.

Perhaps I have misunderstood something, perhaps you can confirm referral by your GP to the Public Psychiatrist.

Have you discussed the possibility of a referral letter to attend a Private Psychiatrist.

Perhaps CBT is the correct course of action. I think you should have a good chat with your GP first and raise any concerns you may have about your treatment:)

Gosh , Autumn really arrived with a bang yesterday!

Feeling extremely tired and exhausted today. As a result I retired under the duvet early this evening.

Managed to get some gardening done in between the showers and a few long outstanding chores done around the house.

The darker mornings and evenings are impacting on my mood, however the weather forecast for Wednesday looks good, the Golf Course beckons, hopefully get my weekly supply of sunlight.

For anyone who finds their mood deteriorates during the winter due to lack of sunlight, I recommend buying a light box, which helps reproduce natural light. Approx €60 on internet.

I bought bone a few years ago, I found it helpful.

Hope you are all doing well today.

Del:)

A week on from therapy finishing and I'm still feeling okay. I can't explain what changed in my mind but something did and I'm more proactive with life.

I have had some wobbly moments. Mainly in the weekend when there was no structure (no set work hours!) but I survived.

I think right now I'm on a high still. The challenge will be how I deal with the crash when it happens.

A week on from therapy finishing and I'm still feeling okay. I can't explain what changed in my mind but something did and I'm more proactive with life.

I have had some wobbly moments. Mainly in the weekend when there was no structure (no set work hours!) but I survived.

I think right now I'm on a high still. The challenge will be how I deal with the crash when it happens.

Delighted for you Hersheys. Something certainly has changed, you're so much more upbeat and positive, it's really coming across in your posts. Hopefully there will be no crash, maybe just a return to normality. :)

Delighted for you Hersheys. Something certainly has changed, you're so much more upbeat and positive, it's really coming across in your posts. Hopefully there will be no crash, maybe just a return to normality. :)

I've got a few years without a crash so I'm not getting to ahead of myself. Hopefully this time it will be different and I will know not to ignore the warning signs should bad thoughts take over.

I've got a few years without a crash so I'm not getting to ahead of myself. Hopefully this time it will be different and I will know not to ignore the warning signs should bad thoughts take over.

Delighted you are doing so well.

You are an inspiration to everyone here. Keep up the good work.

Remember , be kind to yourself, because you are worth it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hey Guys,

Good to see people keeping up the good work.

It can be very though. Remember day by day or when its really bad minute by minute, but always remember you will get there and thoughts can't hurt you :)

I had my third? Pieta house appointment today. And basically she said 'you've got some very dark thoughts Matthew so I'm gonna refer you to your GP'
    Sounds a bit like passing the buck to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

I had my third? Pieta house appointment today. And basically she said 'you've got some very dark thoughts Matthew so I'm gonna refer you to your GP'
    Sounds a bit like passing the buck to me.

I would disagree. The GP has more influence than someone at Pieta House. He or she has the ability to prescribe meds or refer you to a psychiatrist or hospital. I think the PH person acted accordingly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement