Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

So sad. So so sad. And nobody to talk to!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yesterday was weird. Humour was neutral, which is basically a good thing. And then, literally in a blink my eyes were full of tears and i was shaking, grinding my teeth and scared to leave work.. Took hours to calm down a bit. Still experiencing after effects of it.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

The pain nowadays is unbearable. Feel like I want to just tear the hell out of my whole body. Feel trapped, feel dead but alive enough to experience it and that's it. I know I will break down completely in the coming months, not looking forward to it because it will be turned back around on me like I'm not doing enough. Truth is if there was euthanasia I'd opt for it tomorrow, so I don't want to bother doing anything because there is no joy or hope or optimism, there is only trying to trick my brain into saying things are okay and making excuses for life, but my base desire for the past year has been to die.

Just wish there was a way out of this **** heap. There are very few people that should be able to justify life to themselves, most people must use some amount of cognitive dissonance just to get up out of bed. Maybe my expectations are too high but so many people including me are not viable, they just tell themselves 'nobody's perfect' when a lot of people are a lot closer to perfect than most will let on.

Too much pain for one body and mind to constantly consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Hi all.
    Hope ye're doing ok.
    I'm kind of up and down. I get happy for a while but then it turns suddenly and I'm really down again. The nights have been tough. I have been thinking about trying to see a doctor. But I don't think I can. Then I thought maybe I could email my doc and tell her how I feel and see what she says. But of course my doc doesn't have an email address. So yeah. Stuck again.
    Ya see I have depression & anxiety. So if they bring me down from the anxiety won't it make me more depressed? And if they bring me up from depression, will it make me more anxious? Or will they just counter act eachother? Confused much......

Does your doctors receptionist have an email address? Could you maybe write a letter instead and drop it into the doctor?

• Advertisement

Hersheys wrote: »
    Does your doctors receptionist have an email address? Could you maybe write a letter instead and drop it into the doctor?

The idea seems a bit silly now that I've had time to think about it. I should probably leave it!

phi3 wrote: »
    The idea seems a bit silly now that I've had time to think about it. I should probably leave it!
    The first time I told my doctor I was depressed/anxious I said it via email. He rang me back the next day and then I went into see him. It took the scariness out of it knowing he already knew.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Totally lost myself for two days.. Not a bad break really, back to the routine now. How is everyone doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Hope ye're doing ok.
    I'm kind of up and down. I get happy for a while but then it turns suddenly and I'm really down again. The nights have been tough. I have been thinking about trying to see a doctor. But I don't think I can. Then I thought maybe I could email my doc and tell her how I feel and see what she says. But of course my doc doesn't have an email address. So yeah. Stuck again.
    Ya see I have depression & anxiety. So if they bring me down from the anxiety won't it make me more depressed? And if they bring me up from depression, will it make me more anxious? Or will they just counter act eachother? Confused much......

How do you feel about your GP? If you have good experiences and generally have confidence in them, I reckon just go for it - that's what I did with my own GP and he was great. I'm completely aware that not all health care professionals are as good though, as I sat in the psychiatrist's office with my arms folded and told him I found him unprofessional and didn't like or trust him.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

How do you feel about your GP? If you have good experiences and generally have confidence in them, I reckon just go for it - that's what I did with my own GP and he was great. I'm completely aware that not all health care professionals are as good though, as I sat in the psychiatrist's office with my arms folded and told him I found him unprofessional and didn't like or trust him.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I don't really know my doctor. She seems alright though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Love it when people forget about me. Makes me wonder what's the actual point of it all.

Just don't know what's wrong with me that nobody cares about me or wants to talk to me. Just don't know what I've done, or not done, to make me be so forgettable.

Getting absolutely blind drunk, one of those destructive nights ahead I'd say.

titan18 wrote: »
    Love it when people forget about me. Makes me wonder what's the actual point of it all.

Just don't know what's wrong with me that nobody cares about me or wants to talk to me. Just don't know what I've done, or not done, to make me be so forgettable.

Probably shyness? Just trying to get by socially will mean you will be forgotten. You would have to be having people laughing their asses off ~99% of the time to be remembered. Do you make the effort? How positive are you when you are around friends / out drinking etc.?

Had my psych appointment yesterday. Not cool.. Getting nowhere it seems. Now have to fork out for doc to do all sorts of tests like cholesterol and heart monitor etc. Not. A. Happy. Camper.. And of course stuck in work now over thinking it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Well I just got discharged from hospital today...Lots of work done and lots of new meds...But now I feel very anxious as I enter the real world again with no job or structure to keep me well

dar926 wrote: »
    Well I just got discharged from hospital today...Lots of work done and lots of new meds...But now I feel very anxious as I enter the real world again with no job or structure to keep me well

Congrats on both going in and coming out with work done, posting on various threads here can feel like a full time job, so that can keep you busy until you sort out day to day things.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

Thanks ye ive been in and out a bit over the past five years but feel like i am making some progress so fingers crossed...Ill be using the thread for sure to keep me busy

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

my life could not be more perfect atm :D

So many people die every day, and many before they should. Not really a religious person, but why do they have to die, when I have to suffer. I'd gladly trade places with any of them. Children dying across the world, fathers with young kids, and I'm alive even though I don't want to be. Why can't it all just end?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There are very few people that should be able to justify life to themselves, most people must use some amount of cognitive dissonance just to get up out of bed. Maybe my expectations are too high but so many people including me are not viable, they just tell themselves 'nobody's perfect' when a lot of people are a lot closer to perfect than most will let on
    Cognitive dissonance causes a lot of discomfort, but confirmation bias is much more insidious, and therefore, imo, much more harmful.

Confirmation bias causes one to give weight to things which confirm one's feelings, and to disregard things which challenge them.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Cognitive dissonance causes a lot of discomfort, but confirmation bias is much more insidious, and therefore, imo, much more harmful.

Confirmation bias causes one to give weight to things which confirm one's feelings, and to disregard things which challenge them.

I agree, my point being that cognitive dissonance must almost be essential to healthy living. Confirmation bias will drive a person crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I agree, my point being that cognitive dissonance must almost be essential to healthy living. Confirmation bias will drive a person crazy.
    I think that cognitive dissonance, if recognised, can help one to question one's so-called 'beliefs'. I don't agree with your suggestion that it might be essential to healthy living.

Confirmation bias, otoh, is much harder for the individual to recognise and can be very much more damaging. The danger is that when one has a fixed idea in mind, one disregards facts that contradict one's perception - even when those facts are held (by a disinterested observer) to be true, and one is inclined to perceive events in one's life as confirmation (sorry! :)) of how one feels.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Probably shyness? Just trying to get by socially will mean you will be forgotten. You would have to be having people laughing their asses off ~99% of the time to be remembered. Do you make the effort? How positive are you when you are around friends / out drinking etc.?

Yeah, was just about to post something similar. It works two ways. You don't have to even be making people laugh all the time, just make an effort to meet up regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Short Version: After switching to electronic cigarettes, my anxiety levels have dropped significantly.

Long Version: Long term anxiety sufferer, full time smoker.

About 2 weeks ago I made the full switch to 'e-cigarettes' and oh my god do I feel better on a daily basis. Anyone with anxiety and smokes knows that things that excite the nervous system (tea, coffee, smoking) lead to heightened anxiety. In smokes, there's nicotine and a rake of other stuff. In e-smokes, there's only nicotine.

Since switching (it's not hard, it's actually fine) I've felt a small twinge of anxiety maybe once every three or four days, as opposed to a large twinge two or three times a day.

If you're a a smoker with anxiety, you have to try these. There are a load of brands, I get mine from a stall in the Jervis Centre in Dublin but I'd say there's a stall in most shopping centres these days. The brand I use is VIP, but I've read the same good things about most of the big brands. DON'T try the disposable ones from Spar or Centra, they're a bit rubbish. The rechargeable ones are they way to go.

Seriously, give them a go!

Good on ye banquo, I'm using basically same thing (vaporiser), i haven't smoked now since yesterday evening sometime. I'll report on anxiety levels, but my anxiety only really flares up based on a direct trigger (actively going and looking in a mirror) so I don't know if I will notice an anxiety difference. But looking forward to all the other benefits!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Cheers ! Give the vaporiser a few days to get used to. I had a real cigarette last night and it was disgusting, like the first cigarette I ever had!

Also, mirror? That's a new one to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

banquo wrote: »
    Short Version: After switching to electronic cigarettes, my anxiety levels have dropped significantly.

Long Version: Long term anxiety sufferer, full time smoker.

About 2 weeks ago I made the full switch to 'e-cigarettes' and oh my god do I feel better on a daily basis. Anyone with anxiety and smokes knows that things that excite the nervous system (tea, coffee, smoking) lead to heightened anxiety. In smokes, there's nicotine and a rake of other stuff. In e-smokes, there's only nicotine.

Since switching (it's not hard, it's actually fine) I've felt a small twinge of anxiety maybe once every three or four days, as opposed to a large twinge two or three times a day.

If you're a a smoker with anxiety, you have to try these. There are a load of brands, I get mine from a stall in the Jervis Centre in Dublin but I'd say there's a stall in most shopping centres these days. The brand I use is VIP, but I've read the same good things about most of the big brands. DON'T try the disposable ones from Spar or Centra, they're a bit rubbish. The rechargeable ones are they way to go.

Seriously, give them a go!

I've never smoked in my life, but I've seen those e cigarettes before.

Supposedly they are far better for your health than normal cigarettes.

They don't have any of that tar that can give you lung cancer.

Yeah, was just about to post something similar. It works two ways. You don't have to even be making people laugh all the time, just make an effort to meet up regularly.

Any time we end up meeting up or talking, I'm the person who initiates though, it's never someone else. I dunno, just don't really feel like I belong in this world anymore atm, and would be nice if someone made the effort to change my opinion. Otherwise, as much as I don't want to cause grief for my parents, I will push my head too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 choosinganame

Anyone else here really isolate themselves for like over a year? I'm 21 and I've been almost totally isolated for 3 years now and its like in that space of time I've forgotten every social skill (amongst other things) that I learned in secondary school/college. It happened really slowly and unexpectedly..like I never thought this would happen and it still doesnt seem real. It's only when I leave my house the odd time that I realise how bad its gotten. The side effect is that I've basically forgotten half my personality.. and if this happened to you how are you trying to get your old life back? Or did you get it back and how? I feel like I've lost half my brain.. I really really want to get back to normal, I just don't know how I'm gonna do it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Going through an anxious period past few days. I'm scared that I could develop schizophrenia from having anxiety. I'm trawling through the web to see are there any cases of it. My mind won't shut up. I don't have schizophrenia but I'm terrified of getting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement