Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

cloud493 wrote: »
    We Dublin people should have a meet :)

That would be good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 arbitrary constant

We Dublin people should have a meet :)

Sadly I don't live in Ireland anymore (I say "sadly", sometimes it's a good thing! And I lived in Cork rather than Dublin so couldn't make a Dubs meetup anyway...) but I saw you're involved with the Pokémon forum and have meetups. I'd have loved to have gone to one of those some time; I've only ever played the first three generations (and played them on an emulator 'cause I've never owned a Gameboy or DS) but they seem like such fun.

When I'm feeling really pissed off and lost hope in everything, Pokémn is one of the things that can bring a smile to my face again. :) Playing LeafGreen at the moment, my Elite 4 team is a little uneven great but I told myself I'd only use Pokémon I've never used before so I'm making the best of what I have!

Apologies for serious off-topic divergence... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The pokemon meet ups are great craic, nice to have it every week. If your ever around dublin again, you should come on down :)

I'm having a bad day. I can't get out of bed. I want to do something stupid. But I know it's wrong and would like to talk about it. But I don't know who to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Them dubliners are some copy cats :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Kaching wrote: »
    Them dubliners are some copy cats :p

We need pokemon.........

Everyone needs pokemon :pac:

I bloody hate depression. Still stuck in my thoughts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Still two more twelve hour shifts to go.. Totally fried. Roll on monday when i decamp to couch with the dog. My head is spinning madly, how to work when exhausted and thinking is in a spiral..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Twelve. Hour. Shift. multiply that by anything (even 1) and you have my sympathies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I'd give my left ball for a twelve hour shift. Dying for a job :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's horses for courses with work.. I must work, currently it defines me, not ideal mentally but it holds me together.. But when my moods are cycling this rapidly i find myself both exhausted and unable to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Had a cry in the car on the way to work earlier :D

Always good to get it out. Just cant find anything to cheer me up :(

Starting to get really pissed of with myself at this stage, been in counselling for over a year, on meds, off the drink, no more drugs anymore. Back to work and back to my routine.

I go out try have fun, tried joining clubs, meeting new people.

BUT nothing ****ing works.

Now i hate going outside.

All of this because of some GIRL!!!!!!! Aaaahhhhhhhhhhhh
    This may sound trite, but it is not meant that way.

You said "All of this because of some GIRL", and I'm sure that is true.

However, it really is because of how you let some GIRL affect you. Maybe you invested too much in the relationship (i.e. hoped for too much from the relationship), and when it didn't work out you let it hit you hard. But the point is that you let it hit you. It is a big step to realise that you allowed yourself to feel like this because of someone else, but you do need to reach that realisation. Insight is what you need.

I think it would be a good idea for you to PM the poster above who offered to give you the name of a counsellor who they found to be good. Don't be put off by what your GP said about the counselling service in your college. He/she was talking about the doctors there anyway! A good counsellor could really help you.

I hope you get to work out your issues.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

Everyone needs pokemon :pac:

True

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How do ye all convince yourselves that things will be ok? Really want them to be, but just never see me being where I want to be in life, and having happiness. This week hasn't helped, mostly just shown me my failings in life so far

Because I think, if I can still love my sister, if I don't let myself bleed to death, if I can still get up in the morning and live, then there's a chance of something more. The defeated are those that accept defeat.

Because I think, if I can still love my sister, if I don't let myself bleed to death, if I can still get up in the morning and live, then there's a chance of something more. The defeated are those that accept defeat.

Just don't see as getting up in the morning and living as enough. Like my brain works and I'm still breathing, but just don't see simply existing as enough to keep me going atm. What's the point when you're not enjoying it?

Because you don't have to enjoy it al. Just enough, or something, so you can carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

titan18 wrote: »
    Just don't see as getting up in the morning and living as enough. Like my brain works and I'm still breathing, but just don't see simply existing as enough to keep me going atm. What's the point when you're not enjoying it?

I was going to answer that, but it all sounds cliched when I type it, basically it's a case of not giving up and hoping / trying for something better, I take each day as it comes and it for the most part works.

I haven't posted here in ages but I've been lurking, personally I'm doing ok although dreading next week, the boss is away and I basically have to stand in for him, ok it's a chance for Gillo to shine but for longer reasons then I want to post here I'm dreading it.
    On the upside, I got some brilliant news last week that really made my day:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Yeah, I'm in the same place at the moment. A passive death wish? As in I wouldn't do anything to speed it along but if a bus ran over me tomorrow I wouldn't mind.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm in the same place at the moment. A passive death wish? As in I wouldn't do anything to speed it along but if a bus ran over me tomorrow I wouldn't mind.

Ya, passive death wish my whole life. Just attempted more times than I like and the way things are going and look like they'll continue to go, I'm expecting more. Just existing for the sake of it is crap, if I was strong enough to go through with it, I'd have been dead ages ago, just hope I find happiness or the strength to do it, cos living like this is pointless and I'm just a drain on the world

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ya, passive death wish my whole life. Just attempted more times than I like and the way things are going and look like they'll continue to go, I'm expecting more. Just existing for the sake of it is crap, if I was strong enough to go through with it, I'd have been dead ages ago, just hope I find happiness or the strength to do it, cos living like this is pointless and I'm just a drain on the world

Yeah I think it's sleeping tablets time and see if tomorrow is marginally more tolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

How do ye all convince yourselves that things will be ok? Really want them to be, but just never see me being where I want to be in life, and having happiness. This week hasn't helped, mostly just shown me my failings in life so far
    Just from my own experience, I have found that things do get better. Time passes, and you are in a different state of mind.

Happiness as a permanent state of mind cannot be achieved, imo. You feel happy sometimes; sometimes you feel sad. Don't expect to achieve happiness, because no-one can be happy all the time. Instead, hope to feel contentment.

Contentment may just be realising that you do not feel as bad as you once felt, or it might be feeling that everything is going well for you. It is very much easier to feel content than to feel happy. Allow time to pass; learn how to distract your mind from negative thoughts.

TL/DR Things do get better. You just have to give it (plenty of) time. You may also have to learn and practice some techniques to calm your mind.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

Have had a bad week, and spent a lot of today crying.

There has to be an easier way than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Hersheys I hope you are ok, there is always somebody to talk to. If ye want my phone number to talk thats no bother.:) I kno it's scary when you hit rock bottom, I contemplated drinking a bottle of bleach!! I ended up self harming. But now im in a job with young people and advising, things can change.

Long run of shifts over, exhausted but can't sleep, how typical! I feel nervous or something like it.. No idea why. The joys of a thinking pattern best described as 'washing machine like'

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

haven't posted in this forum for a really long time but i feel i need some support from people who get it.

my moods have been all over the place for weeks now, but i've been desperately trying to pretend (to myself, my therapist & everyone else) that all is good. I just hate feeling so low, crying all the time, trying to leave the bloody house some days etc. I feel so lonely, especially when I'm around my friends & I have this constant feeling of never being good enough. I can't take it anymore. I'm fighting strong urges to self harm & preoccupied with thoughts of death etc. even though I know I will not give in to them.

I keep forgetting to do things, like ring people back or stuff in work, & I pretty much spend my days off on my own in bed. I went out at the weekend for the first time in ages, felt so low & worthless. I drank a bottle of vodka & ended up in tears with my friends & then bolted home. They havent really asked how I am since, I feel they couldn't really care. I'm sick of feeling so worthless & having to pretend everything is ok for everyone else's sake. I hate feeling this way.

I have no real reasons to feel like this. I have a good job, in college, financially ok, some really good friends, loads of acquaintances, well liked etc. I know I've had a bit of a hard time over a guy I was seeing (we ended things & have become even better friends, but i still want more & it's killing me that he doesn't).

I've worked hard over the past few years to get out of depressive mode & now I feel myself sinking back & I'm terrified. I'm going to the doc on wed, not sure if he'll put me on meds (as he has shied away from putting me on meds a couple of months back) but I really think i need them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

LollieB wrote: »
    haven't posted in this forum for a really long time but i feel i need some support from people who get it.

my moods have been all over the place for weeks now, but i've been desperately trying to pretend (to myself, my therapist & everyone else) that all is good. I just hate feeling so low, crying all the time, trying to leave the bloody house some days etc. I feel so lonely, especially when I'm around my friends & I have this constant feeling of never being good enough. I can't take it anymore. I'm fighting strong urges to self harm & preoccupied with thoughts of death etc. even though I know I will not give in to them.

I keep forgetting to do things, like ring people back or stuff in work, & I pretty much spend my days off on my own in bed. I went out at the weekend for the first time in ages, felt so low & worthless. I drank a bottle of vodka & ended up in tears with my friends & then bolted home. They havent really asked how I am since, I feel they couldn't really care. I'm sick of feeling so worthless & having to pretend everything is ok for everyone else's sake. I hate feeling this way.

I have no real reasons to feel like this. I have a good job, in college, financially ok, some really good friends, loads of acquaintances, well liked etc. I know I've had a bit of a hard time over a guy I was seeing (we ended things & have become even better friends, but i still want more & it's killing me that he doesn't).

I've worked hard over the past few years to get out of depressive mode & now I feel myself sinking back & I'm terrified. I'm going to the doc on wed, not sure if he'll put me on meds (as he has shied away from putting me on meds a couple of months back) but I really think i need them now.

Good shout on going to the doc because from just reading your post I can imagine that you are stressed, in a busy way more than a reflective way. I have just had a very bad time myself but it hasn't killed me. I am now taking time to slow myself down, it takes effort in and of itself but if you don't stop and recharge fully it just gets worse and worse. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I feel that if you are gentle with yourself, you can get there eventually. I used to beat myself up over not making proper use of my time. But when I put down the drink and drugs and accepted my shortcomings for what they are, I found that life became easier to deal with.

• Advertisement

Cracking up. Self harmed last night. Hate myself now :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement