Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My college has guidance counsellors who are also trained general counsellors as well apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Have you been to a GP? They can advise on medication, most people visit them first before being referred to a psychiatrist.

Went to the crisis counselor this morning, feeling a little better now. Might think about going back to counseling on a continuous basis, AGAIN!

I always feel better for a while after couselling, just never seem to be able to sort out everything :/

Haven't been to a GP. Don't exactly know what's stopping me but I don't feel comfortable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Hi all
    I am very anxious here myself ,on 5 mgs Lexapro for 7 days and can not even step out of the house ,I contacted someone about the EFT but it is so expensive ,any suggestions???

Stick with the Lexapro and give it a few weeks, it'll get better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been on Effexor for the guts of two weeks. Started initially on 37.5mg and have since been upped to 75mg. Still trying to get to grips with taking them. Morning time is just so difficult. Mustering the strength and energy to get out of bed is so so hard to do lately.

Finding any ounce of motivation is proving really difficult. I'm seeing a counsellor too and it helps a bit but trying to explain how you're feeling when you don't feel anything is hard to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Can someone relate to these symptons regarding anxiety?
    Off balance/struggle to walk properly sometimes but worse in shops(i can run fine though)
    Weird feeling in back of skull occasionaly
    Slight feeling of choking
    The balance thing has been going on for 4 months. 4 doctors later/brain scan and my last doc reckons some form of agrophobia/anxiety. Gave me Xanax which did relax me but just made me sleepy. I was never depressed in my life but this is starting to make me depressed. I work full time and i get thru the days but my life is on hold at the minute. Anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

The day will come when you will look back and see the progress you made and how great life is.
    Sometimes we feel down for no apparent reason,and there's a lack of some chemical which needs rebalancing.
    Some are lucky the GP and patient gets it right the first time.
    For others it takes a while.

Group therapy works too,but some are so low or high nothing but the right medicine can fix the condition.

Then when one feels better their mind opens and councilors,therapeutic sessions etc can seem easier to approach.

Hang on in there :)

Think I've got a bug or something, been sick 2 days now :( getting me down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

day3 on effexor i've noticed im clenching my teeth and jaw a lot and have dry mouth. Cant say mood is better.I've been told I seem more withdrawn. But I guess its early days.
    Have appt/meeting in work friday dont know how im gonna handle it

double post

ashblag wrote: »
    day3 on effexor i've noticed im clenching my teeth and jaw a lot and have dry mouth. Cant say mood is better.I've been told I seem more withdrawn. But I guess its early days.

Just be calm ash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Go to your doctor & have a chat. They know best & mental health issues are more common than you think.

What happened the thread?!

Horrible horrible night last night. Couldn't take sleepers/anti bad dreamers/relaxers because I've a really important presentation/pitch in work today. Fell asleep no bother, but woke at 1 in a sweat with bad nightmares. Managed to fall back asleep but woke at 3 with a severe panic attack & the most incredible urge to just end it all.

I'm not stressed about the presentation, I have huge confidence in my work & my ability, I just wish I could have taken my meds last night so I wouldn't be so bloody tired today!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

ryaner1979 wrote: »
    Can someone relate to these symptons regarding anxiety?
    Off balance/struggle to walk properly sometimes but worse in shops(i can run fine though)
    Weird feeling in back of skull occasionaly
    Slight feeling of choking
    The balance thing has been going on for 4 months. 4 doctors later/brain scan and my last doc reckons some form of agrophobia/anxiety. Gave me Xanax which did relax me but just made me sleepy. I was never depressed in my life but this is starting to make me depressed. I work full time and i get thru the days but my life is on hold at the minute. Anyone help?

I can! I had this really, really badly for a while once. Especially the balance thing - what is it about shopping centres? Anyone with anxiety seems to do worse in shopping centres.

A degree of agoraphobia is completely normal in people who've been having anxiety for even a few months. As is hypochondria - with your mind in that state of alertness to your body, it's easy and natural to feel every little twinge or problem as bigger deal than it is.

The choking feeling happens when your body suddenly gets 10% more anxious very quickly. It doesn't mean a panic attack or anything is coming, it just means that you're starting to breathe slightly more from the chest and the diaphragm. To counter the choking feeling just do a breathing exercise for a few minutes, breathing from the diaphragm. It'll undo very quickly.

Finally, it's entirely possible to make a full recovery from anxiety with a combination of drugs and various therapies, depending on what causes it. I found meditation to be the key, despite having bashed it most of my adult life. Try a book called 'Full Catastrophe Living'. It just works.

*Banquo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

First few days are always miserable. Mood usually takes two-three weeks to pick up I think. Hows the seroquel going?

If you're worried, ring your doc and see what they suggest.

Stick with it. xxx

Bloody terrible night there, got about an hours worth of slep :(

Hersheys wrote: »
    Go to your doctor & have a chat. They know best & mental health issues are more common than you think.

Horrible horrible night last night. Couldn't take sleepers/anti bad dreamers/relaxers because I've a really important presentation/pitch in work today. Fell asleep no bother, but woke at 1 in a sweat with bad nightmares. Managed to fall back asleep but woke at 3 with a severe panic attack & the most incredible urge to just end it all.

I'm not stressed about the presentation, I have huge confidence in my work & my ability, I just wish I could have taken my meds last night so I wouldn't be so bloody tired today!

Ya, my sleep is really off at the moment too. Fell into bed shattered last night after a very busy day at work. Took half a sleeper and still woke on and off through the night, and early this morning. Was planning on an extra hour in bed and into work at ten but there was no point.

Can I ask you - you and I have similar symptoms - do you still get pain "for no reason" Am in agony at the moment but know there's nothing there that could cause it.

neemish wrote: »

Ya, my sleep is really off at the moment too. Fell into bed shattered last night after a very busy day at work. Took half a sleeper and still woke on and off through the night, and early this morning. Was planning on an extra hour in bed and into work at ten but there was no point.

Can I ask you - you and I have similar symptoms - do you still get pain "for no reason" Am in agony at the moment but know there's nothing there that could cause it.

Yeah I often get pain for no reason :( my doc says its as a result of mental agitation.

Yeah I often get pain for no reason :( my doc says its as a result of mental agitation.

"mental agitation"? Thats' s a good one. For me, it's more like a bounce back pain from trauma.

How did the work thing go for you.

Its still on-going... I'm managing to use my phone though :)

neemish wrote: »
    First few days are always miserable. Mood usually takes two-three weeks to pick up I think. Hows the seroquel going?

If you're worried, ring your doc and see what they suggest.

Stick with it. xxx

Yeah I'm just jumping the gun a bit will stick with it for another while, just find the teeth clenching thing embarrising as people have noticed. I must look like im out of my mind!!
    Seroquel is good on 100mg put me straight to sleep the first night not so much now the last two nights. Groggy when I wake though.

how are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

what ever happened to Jammstar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Kaching wrote: »
    what ever happened to Jammstar?
    He closed his account recently, but someone posted an update after about him a few pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

flyswatter wrote: »
    He closed his account recently, but someone posted an update after about him a few pages back.

cant find it :(

He said he's fine and he just wanted a break (If I remember rightly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Not really liking being on Cipramil I think I've decided. My mood has felt sort of weird since I started taking them and I've noticed some other side-effects which I haven't liked. Haven't been on them too long so hopefully coming off them won't be too bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Been getting calls from the counsellor to arrange a date all day. Can't bring myself to actually pick up the phone :/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

Long time reader/follower of the thread .....Long story short .....
    Ive been on Seroxat for anxiety/depression for over 7 years now. Lately i kinda felt like its not as affective.......reminders of the bad ol days creeping back :rolleyes:I know there was issues with this drug some time ago and just wondering how others are finding it ????

Yeah I'm just jumping the gun a bit will stick with it for another while, just find the teeth clenching thing embarrising as people have noticed. I must look like im out of my mind!!
    Seroquel is good on 100mg put me straight to sleep the first night not so much now the last two nights. Groggy when I wake though.

how are you doing?

Ok-ish. Work is fine and everyone thinks I'm great. Anxiety levels are very high - not sleeping great and finding it hard to eat. I'm managing it. But wish I wasn't as edgy. I cannot WAIT to take something to help me sleep tonight. I think that a full night of uninterrupted sleep would be a big help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Not feeling very well at all. Currently living abroad for college, and really considering just going home. Feeling very, very blue and lonely and my body feels heavy. I feel like I'm in a daze most of the time and kind of zombie-like. My reactions have been slow and it has taken me a couple of seconds to actually realize that someone is speaking to me sometimes. Been sleeping a lot and not eating regularly enough. Feel a bit achy too. I feel like just going home and seeing my doctor, but I don't know if I should just wait and see if it passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Anyone had experience coming off meds? Kinda decided myself the other day that I didn't want to be on them anymore and reduced my dose 3 days ago. This morning I skipped it altogether and in the afternoon I started getting really jumpy and anxious. In the end I took the reduce dose today when I hadn't planned to take it at all. Not a nice feeling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Melanna

Hi all,

I'm 32 and I have been depressed on and off since my teens. I have been in therapy and on meds for some time, and in the last few years I felt okay. But now I got a new job which I love but it is very demanding, and I feel the depression coming back. I'm tired all the time and if I could I would stay in bed all day. I just feel stupid and inadequate. It also doesn't help that I don't get on well with my boss, its not that he is mean but I don't know what he thinks of my work. He just seems to disapprove of everything I do, but half of me thinks that is all in my mind, because my colleagues don't agree. I really don't want to go back on meds because last time I had bad side effects, although the depression went away. I only started taking them because I was feeling really bad and almost tried to kill myself. I don't feel like this now, but I'm really afraid I will loose my job, because I cannot concentrate and make mistakes all the time. I hate it that the depression always comes back. I was so happy when I was feeling better, and now it comes back, even if there is no real reason for it, because my life is fine. Sometimes I just don't know why I'm fighting anymore, because I feel I'm weaker every time, and some time in the future I will lose the fight anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement