Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped Headlights during the day - any point?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

blond45 wrote: »
    i just love the exberts that come on this thread. next time when theres a car behind you with one light blinding you and the other half working on bad or good roads it dont make a bit of difference . they do blind you.

Utter rubbish.

Properly adjusted dipped lights don't blind you in the dark. They couldn't possibly blind you in the bright. The surrounding light would be far brighter and your eyes would be correctly focused for bright conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blond45 wrote: »
    i just love the exberts that come on this thread

Why on earth would they change their name? Whats wrong with being named Bert?:confused:

In *some* cars once one bulb blows the other is running too bright as its taking all the power. As above, this has nothing to do with the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Well I always drive around with my dipped lights on in the Astra, makes me visible.

One day though while sitting in traffic on the Malahide Road near the Goblet I had a man cross the road over to me and tell me that I had my lights on and it was illegal and that I could blind pedestrians. With that said he walked off, i was left laughing :rolleyes:

Only in Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Theres no way the lights could blind you during the day. It should be made legal anyway to have them on during the day. Anyway i can see a big padlock at the end of the page very soon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

malcox wrote: »
    It should be made legal anyway to have them on during the day.

It is, I hope :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

cormie wrote: »
    It is, I hope :eek::D

Is the new law that every new car will have to be manufactured with DRLs or that everyone will have to use DRLs or dips when driving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Is the new law that every new car will have to be manufactured with DRLs or that everyone will have to use DRLs or dips when driving ?

I was emailing an RSA person about DRL's. I dunno why I emailed them but anyway.

It was said that from something like 2012 all new cars will have to have them. Tis the hope anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

This is quoted from the email conversation I had which I mention above.

The RSA welcomes your views on Daytime Running Lights (DRL) for vehicles and would like to inform you of imminent European legislation relating to DRL and also of an upcoming DRL consultation in Ireland.

EU Directive 2008/89/EC[1] (which mandates the requirements of UN/ECE Regulation No. 48) will require dedicated DRL on all new types of passenger cars and small vans from February 2011 onwards, and on all all new types of trucks and buses from August 2012 onwards. These Dedicated Daytime Running Lights will be fitted by the vehicle manufacturer and due to the technology for dedicated DRL (LED - Light Emitting Diode), will have a low energy consumption compared to conventional bulbs. For vehicles equipped with dedicated DRL, this light is automatically switched on when the engine is started. When it is dark the driver has to switch on the (full and dipped) head-lights manually.

As part of a consultation which will be carried out by the RSA in the coming weeks/ months, the RSA will investigate the possibility of extending the scope of DRL to all vehicles already in use on Irish roads. In the consultation document, various options available to implementing DRL for vehicles in-use will be outlined. Basically there are two options that can be explored;

1. In addition to the EU requirements (which will only affect new vehicles), the scope of DRL can be extended to include all vehicles used on Irelands roads, requiring operators to switch the dimmed headlights of their vehicle on manually, or automatically if an automatic switch has been installed through retrofit. It is the view of the RSA that such a requirement will help save lives and prevent accidents on Irelands roads by improving the conspicuity of motor vehicles and preventing multiparty daytime accidents.

2. The minimum European requirements are introduced, thus only affecting new vehicles.

Based on the results of the consultation, it may be the case that recommendations will be made to the Minister of Transport for amendments to be made to national legislation in order to mandate the use of DRL through the option set out in number 1 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I use the dipped beam during the day and use the height adjuster switch to lower the beam for during the day.

That adjuster is for heavy loads not day/night adjustment. It should always be at the lowest setting so the lens can be lowered when the vehicle gets more loaded.
    bbk wrote: »
    It has to be obvious that having your lights on all the time is beneficial to everyone. You will be seen easier by other motorists and pedestrians.

I dont accept the argument I read in the DRL section where some people thought that having lights on all the time would make motorcyclists less visible. At least I think thats what the jist was.

Although it will be less obvious there is a vehicle with one light behind me I will know there is a vehicle of some kind behind me. Personally, rather egotistically (which Im sure it well be seen as) I always drive as if there could be a motorcycle behind me. I actually only found out recently that all motorcycles always have their headlights on, similar to DRL's so I dont rely on the assumption "no headlight no motorbike"

If there is going to be a real problem with DRLS and driving with lights on all the time its going to be with the down right pathetic common road sense that say at least 40 percent of the people I have seen driving have.

Just coming home today, it was bright enough but then a very black cloud made things surprisingly dark for about a half hour. So many cars passed me with no headlights on, not even parking lights. I found these cars really difficult to see in some instances. Then when I flashed my lights (not the full beam, switching off and on the dipped lights) in hope they put their lights on I get flashed with full beams :S

Im sure everyone has many many stories about things like this but I dont think there is any good reason not to introduce DRL's or suggest to keep lights on all the time. The main culprit is the idiocy on the roads.

Motorbikes have no problem with the cars running ahead of them. It's the muppets who pull out on bikes from side roads causing the biker to have to swerve out of the way or T bone them that bikers don't like.

Since most bikers currently use dipped beam to try and stand out from cars, and still get pulled out on, how can making cars more visible be safer for bikers if they aren't being seen now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

daylight running lights being made compulsory eh....heres to the first thread on " is it OK to take the bulbs out of my DRLs to save the battery...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I used have dark green coloured car and in shaded areas on the road (i.e. with over hanging foliage and trees) the car used blend in. One day I nearly got creamed a few years ago and ever since then I always drive with my dims on.

Even with dims on some people seem oblivious to the approaching car. For instance driving with dims makes you more obvious when in someones rear view mirror.

Irish people in general seem to be oblivious to this simple safely aspect. If you observe at dawn and dusk how many people actually have their lights on never mind that they might not be correctly focused or that a headlight bulb might be out never ceases to amaze me.

Im seriously of putting DRLs on the car in future first things 1st thou im currently awaiting delivery of my HID kit as Im sick of the candle light that emits from my headlights at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

GreeBo wrote: »
    In *some* cars once one bulb blows the other is running too bright as its taking all the power. As above, this has nothing to do with the argument.

Utter rubbish, headlights are fused and wired separatly for left and right.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Since most bikers currently use dipped beam to try and stand out from cars, and still get pulled out on, how can making cars more visible be safer for bikers if they aren't being seen now?

I don't think it will make much of a difference. Once everyone will have their lights on, then people will automatically scan the roads for headlights, and not cars, thus bikes will be as visible as everything else.

Utter rubbish, headlights are fused and wired separatly for left and right.
    Reminds me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCxJWwkHdQ

rubensni wrote: »
    I don't think it will make much of a difference.

I don't see your logic here. Motor bikes already drive with dipped beams on and are not seen. How will making cars easier to see make motorbikes, cyclists and pedestrians stand out?

But I like how you've proved how it'll be more dangerous for other road users by saying
    Once everyone will have their lights on, then people will automatically scan the roads for headlights, and not cars, thus bikes will be as visible as everything else.

How are the least safe road users, motorcyclist/cyclists/pedestrians, supposed to be seen if people are only scanning for lights?

I don't see your logic here.

It's very simple: the big issue for bikes is people turning out of side roads. If drivers are scanning the horizon for headlights instead of car-shaped items, they'll be more likely to spot a bike with it's lights on.
    How are the least safe road users, motorcyclist/cyclists/pedestrians, supposed to be seen if people are only scanning for lights?

Motorbikes have their headlights on, so they will not be at a greater risk than they are currently.

Pedestrians are not really at risk from cars turning out of side roads and if headlights become compulsory for cars, bicycle users will be most at risk. However, when I am on a bicycle, I generally assume that the guy coming out of the side road in the car is going to go, especially when I don't make eye contact with him.

Headlight modulators would make bikes stand out if everyone had their lights on - and have available in the US where DRLs have been introduced for that reason - but I wouldn't fit them to my bike because they make you look like a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I use the dipped beam during the day and use the height adjuster switch to lower the beam for during the day.

+1

rubensni wrote: »
    It's very simple: the big issue for bikes is people turning out of side roads. If drivers are scanning the horizon for headlights instead of car-shaped items, they'll be more likely to spot a bike with it's lights on.

Your missing the point. Most bikes drive with their lights on already and this thread is about how car drivers find themselves more visible with lights on. Yet motorbikes aren't being seen now when few cars are driving with lights on so how will making ever car on the road more visible improve the safety of bikers when they are already doing as much as possible to stand out and aren't?
    Motorbikes have their headlights on, so they will not be at a greater risk than they are currently.

So road safety improvements are only to protect the best protected road users. How about protecting the vulnerable road users first. If people are looking correctly for motorbikes, with or without lights, then car drivers will have no need for their lights.

Pedestrians are not really at risk from cars turning out of side roads and if headlights become compulsory for cars, bicycle users will be most at risk.

You admit that bicycles will have a higher risk, yet the exact same type of vehicle travelling at a higher speed won't:confused:

However, when I am on a bicycle, I generally assume that the guy coming out of the side road in the car is going to go, especially when I don't make eye contact with him.

And hear lies the problem. Car drivers aren't looking properly now. So instead of fixing the problem with training you want to make it easier for them not to look correctly. Soon all cars will have lights on and if they come to a junction all they have to do is have a quick glance out the side window for 2 bright lights and go. No need to have a proper look to see if a cyclist or motorbike is travelling on the road around the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

...So instead of fixing the problem with training ...

How would you train for something like that?

Strap the whole driving population into chairs, watching video footage of traffic and shock them whenever they fail to spot the motorbike?

peasant wrote: »
    How would you train for something like that?

Strap the whole driving population into chairs, watching video footage of traffic and shock them whenever they fail to spot the motorbike?

Not my problem. I'm sure the government could waste millions on studies and quangos to find out.

Driver eduction is much more important then bandaging a problem by hiding the fact that drivers aren't paying enough attention whilst behind the wheel of a tonne and a bit of steal and plastic that can kill and injure people very easily.

If someone needs a cars lights to be on so that they can see it on a clear day then I don't think they should be allowed to drive and if they can't see a car on a clear day how are they supposed to see a bike, cyclist or pedestrian on a less then prefect day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 citroen

I think that from mid-2011 all new cars will be fitted with Daytime Running Lights-and some manufacturers have already fitted these. Ive got a new Scirocco and theyre standard for this model year. Last years model could have them turned off using the computer setup menu but not any more. So it looks like we'll see a lot more lights on from now on.

Advertisement