Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped Headlights during the day - any point?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yet your sig has a car ( which I assume is yours) that has the fog lights on in daytime?
    061209001bmp.jpg

And why is the OP thanking every single reply? :confused:

Don't even think about trying to turn this into a foglight thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 vbunse

All new cars will come with daylights (reduced dim's) always on very soon......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Don't even think about trying to turn this into a foglight thread.

Apologies - I have no intention of doing that. Just pointing out that neilthefunkeone sees no point in having dipped beams on during daytime - but he seems to like putting his foglights on during daytime.

Sorry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sorry about not seeing that thread about DRLs during the day, but I am not a regular to the forum and didn't realise it was created only 4 days ago (as it was on page 5 at the time of writing this post, I didn't realise it even existed)
    And why is the OP thanking every single reply? :confused:
    Just a habit I guess. I like to thank people that take the time to reply/contribute to a thread that I created. Also it serves as a handy marker for me to see what was the last post I read when I come back to this thread!
    If you want me to remove my thanks from your post, I have no problem in doing so! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

my Volvo keeps the dips on at all times, very handy and should be on all cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

People still seem to be confused over the various lights:

Sidelights/Parking lights - usually 5w and therefore put out about as much light as a cig lighter. Use in daytime: Nearly useless, but better than not having anything on
    Dips / Low beams - Normal nighttime "in traffic" and residential area lights - Use in daytime: Makes your car visible to others in all weather conditions, however are not ordinarily suitable as DRLs as they are too bright.
    These lights annoy motorcyclists as they are approx the same wattage (50w+) as their headlights, making them harder to differentiate.

DRLs/ TFL - Daytime Running lights. These lights run at higher wattage in daytime (equivalent to 25w, so much lower than low beams) then drop to much lower output at nighttime when your dips are on (equiv. 10w). Higher end DRLs are LEDs with absolute minimal power draw and super long lifespan.
    Dedicated DRLs also do not illuminate your rear lights in daytime, unlike say driving with parking lights or Dips on.
    DRLs do not cause issue to motorcyclists (imo) as they are much, much dimmer than motorcyclists headlights IMO.

Personally I drive with modified parking lights on (21w vs 5w originals) as my car has pop up headlights and not really all that suitable for permanant operation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

^ Thanks for clearing that up myself, I was confused about that.

My car doesn't have any DRLs, so I assume that driving with dips would be better than driving with no lights in the daytime, despite their over-brightness?

My car doesn't have any DRLs, so I assume that driving with dips would be better than driving with no lights in the daytime, despite their over-brightness?

Yep, I would agree with that too, though not all will. You can get after market LED DRLs with reduced output switching (at night) wiring harness's, but they are very very expensive.
    http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/audi-s6-tfl/index.htm

I have a set but kinda broke one of the Audi S6 OEM DRLs I purchased, an expensive and annoying mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

check this link
    http://www.daytime-running-light.com
    close the first screen and go to retro-fit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I always use my dipped headlights, and it is easier to see a vehicle with dipped headlights in a split second situation, the sooner it's made law the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

YES BECAUSE-
    1.- in the early evenings when twilight approaches idiots forget to put them on
    2. helps van drivers etc with peripheral vision.
    3. whos the genius with the beemer with foglights on in his sig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

3. whos the genius with the beemer with foglights on in his sig?

1. No Fog Light threads please (don't even start...)
    2. You're bordering on insulting other members, again don't

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I use the dipped beam during the day and use the height adjuster switch to lower the beam for during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How about me and my Volvo?

I have no choice to have some sort of lights turned on but I CHOOSE to drive with my dipped beam on instead of the simple sidelight because frankly it's not enough.

I don't trust anybody on the roads so the more they can see me the better. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Ill be honest when i first started driving id rarely have lights on,
    It was when i started driving more and more commercial vehicles i noticed the importance of driving with lights on.

Silver cars can seem invisible without a light on IMO, when the only thing you have to see behind you is a mirror either side the drivers with lights on is much appreciated.

The audi DRL are the best they stand out brilliantly.
    TBH i also don't mind the front fogs on sometimes on the car. Once again making a car stand out in bright low winter sun is better!

But as colm said ill use dips and dip the light to the lowest setting during the day.

I don't think motorbikes will disappear but sometimes discipline would help this rather then the "jumping" and "Diving" you can see lights or no lights sometimes that can be so hard to see as they are smaller and fit into blind spots perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

If you are in the habit of turning on your dipped headlights when you get into your car, there is less chance that you will forget to turn on your lights when you actually need them in built up areas/poor conditions etc.

I notice that people who park in underground/multi storey car parks hop into their cars and drive off, not realising that once they leave the car park it is dark and they have no lights on. Dangerous!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Matt Simis wrote: »
    These lights annoy motorcyclists as they are approx the same wattage (50w+) as their headlights, making them harder to differentiate.

I dont understand this point? If you see a light you know there is something there, if you need to know whats there then you know where to look?

Also, putting on my dipped beams is as automatic to me as putting on my seatbelt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont understand this point? If you see a light you know there is something there, if you need to know whats there then you know where to look?

Read the DRL thread, it should answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

It has to be obvious that having your lights on all the time is beneficial to everyone. You will be seen easier by other motorists and pedestrians.

I dont accept the argument I read in the DRL section where some people thought that having lights on all the time would make motorcyclists less visible. At least I think thats what the jist was.

Although it will be less obvious there is a vehicle with one light behind me I will know there is a vehicle of some kind behind me. Personally, rather egotistically (which Im sure it well be seen as) I always drive as if there could be a motorcycle behind me. I actually only found out recently that all motorcycles always have their headlights on, similar to DRL's so I dont rely on the assumption "no headlight no motorbike"

If there is going to be a real problem with DRLS and driving with lights on all the time its going to be with the down right pathetic common road sense that say at least 40 percent of the people I have seen driving have.

Just coming home today, it was bright enough but then a very black cloud made things surprisingly dark for about a half hour. So many cars passed me with no headlights on, not even parking lights. I found these cars really difficult to see in some instances. Then when I flashed my lights (not the full beam, switching off and on the dipped lights) in hope they put their lights on I get flashed with full beams :S

Im sure everyone has many many stories about things like this but I dont think there is any good reason not to introduce DRL's or suggest to keep lights on all the time. The main culprit is the idiocy on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I have them on all the time. Because I can see a car coming it doesn't mean that the old dear in the car 1/4 of a mile down the road can see me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I always have my dipped lights on for the reasons already stated - lights are to be seen, as well as to see and in low-light or bad weather it makes a significant difference.

I wouldn't mind a set of these though for my Passat if I could find a supplier that does them in right-hand drive:

Passat3C-DRL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

God they are nice. my passat just turns on the lights when it gets dark. BTW i was going into mallow friday evening at 6.30 pm and it was nearly dark. I met the local unmarked garda car without a stitch of a light not even parks!!!!!!! I was going to start a thread in emg services but didnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

draffodx wrote: »
    Dipped headlights are not blinding
    oh yes they are if they are not vocused properly. like the ass behind me this morning after leaving hubbie at work.

blond45 wrote: »
    oh yes they are if they are not vocused properly. like the ass behind me this morning after leaving hubbie at work.

Dipped headlights arent blinding when correctly adjusted as you imply.

Still, its something we all should have checked regularly has no bearing on whether DRL/constant dipped headlights are good or not and shouldn't be really commented on unless we start derailing the thread to talk about how stupid some road users are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

bbk wrote: »
    Dipped headlights arent blinding when correctly adjusted

Unfortunately we can't adjust our lumpy and bumpy roads. An oncoming car with properly adjusted lights on an average Irish country road will have several opportunities to do you in the eye.

peasant wrote: »
    Unfortunately we can't adjust our lumpy and bumpy roads. An oncoming car with properly adjusted lights on an average Irish country road will have several opportunities to do you in the eye.
    I agree, I didnt take that into account but I agree with you there but at least its not as constant as a badly adjusted light.

Back to the point though, we have to put up with that anyway, so does the question of adjusted lights and bumpy roads causing glare really have a bearing on whether driving with dipped lights on constantly for viability/safety reasons?

I just feel its a totally separate issue that shouldnt really have to come into this discussion.

Im a huge fan of DRL's as you can probably guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Well I always drive around with my dipped lights on in the Astra, makes me visible.

One day though while sitting in traffic on the Malahide Road near the Goblet I had a man cross the road over to me and tell me that I had my lights on and it was illegal and that I could blind pedestrians. With that said he walked off, i was left laughing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

i just love the exberts that come on this thread. next time when theres a car behind you with one light blinding you and the other half working on bad or good roads it dont make a bit of difference . they do blind you.

blond45 wrote: »
    i just love the exberts that come on this thread. next time when theres a car behind you with one light blinding you and the other half working on bad or good roads it dont make a bit of difference . they do blind you.
    Just what are you talking about? People with bad headlights are a totally separate issue, but if you think about it (try it and see!), a dipped headlight in the daytime could not possibly blind you as the ambient light far exceeds the headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

I drive a car of Swedish extraction that comes with lights always on---have got into the habbit since of turning on the dipped lights on any car I drive....you really notice the difference on the road in day time and my personal opinion is that it heightens awareness of on-coming traffic, & keeps you more alert regardless of the time of day.....

Advertisement