Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dipped Headlights during the day - any point?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 1:08pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There are ads on the radio now advising people to drive with their dipped headlights on during the day, as this buys them a little more visibility, thus could prevent accidents. I've even noticed an increasing number of cars doing this.

Is there any point of doing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Yes. If you've got your dipped lights on it makes your car easier to see, even during the day. =]

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

ehhh yes due to people seeing you more.. When you are over taking its hard to make out a car in the distance.. The lights make it easier.. Same with coming out of juctions It just makes it easier for you to be seen..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

About as much point as another head light thread....

Personally i see no point.. i can see another car perfectly without lights.. I drive with side lights but mainly cos i have cool ccfl angel eyes!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I've always done this just out of habbit. Think its only really useful on really sunny days though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

I have never been able to work out why this advice is given. If your sight is so poor that you cannot see a car ahead of you in broad daylight it is difficult to see what difference headlights will make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, try driving a van where your only vision of what's behind you is your wing mirrors and you'll see how important dipped headlights are ;) especially in bad weather and especially when rain is so heavy it's flowing all over the glass of your wing mirrors and side window!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭aflib

cormie wrote: »
    Folks, try driving a van where your only vision of what's behind you is your wing mirrors and you'll see how important dipped headlights are ;)

agreed.in some countries its law to drive with your lights on regardless what time of the day it is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I always put on the dips as it's what the RSA recommends. Are sidelights only for when the car is parked in a dimly lit place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Rosita wrote: »
    I have never been able to work out why this advice is given. If your sight is so poor that you cannot see a car ahead of you in broad daylight it is difficult to see what difference headlights will make.

It is intended to make you more obvious in peripheral vision - i.e. approaching a junction with just a glance rather then stop and check - makes the approaching car much more visible.

Motorcyclists have used the technique for years

Even if you are the safest driver in the world and would never pull in front of another vehicle without checking and rechecking etc - well, consider this a bit or insurance against those of us who are not perfect and share the road with
    you:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Been driving with my dipped headlights on for years.

Cant wait until its made mandatory to have them on all the time, for two reasons

It increases visibility in dull, cloudy, dark, overcast and sunny conditions, that pretty much covers all the time in Ireland!

And secondly cos idiots in this country cant even properly control there lights in fog, rain, dull light conditions!

Also its technically illegal to drive with just your parking lights on I believe, its also completely pointless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Cue increases in number of motorcyclists killed by blind cage drivers who can no longer make them out due to DRLs

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

A light is a light.... more people will see it.. how the hell does it mean more motorbikes will be hit???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

high heels wrote: »
    A light is a light.... more people will see it.. how the hell does it mean more motorbikes will be hit???

He is saying that the lights will be blinding and will result in a few road annoyances being removed permanently from our roads due to car drivers not seeing them :D Ah I'm just kidding, I've no issues with bikers.

He is saying that the lights will be blinding and will result in a few road annoyances being removed permanently from our roads due to car drivers not seeing them :D Ah I'm just kidding, I've no issues with bikers.

Dipped headlights are not blinding

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I don't see the point of headlights over sidelights TBH.

I drive everywhere with the sidelights on and turn on the headlights early enough when its getting dark but I wouldn't have the headlights on during day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Yes. If you've got your dipped lights on it makes your car easier to see, even during the day. =]

If you can't see other cars on the road during the day you shouldn't be driving! ;)

I don't really see the need and as stated in previous posts it'll make motorbikes more invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

draffodx wrote: »
    Dipped headlights are not blinding

I know that :confused: I was just explaining to highheels what he was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I have always drive with my dipped lights on.

Still doesn't stop eejits pulling out in front of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Christ, not another thread on this ... the last one (with the same old arguments rehashed for the umpteenth time) was only 4 days ago ...

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825146

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There are numerous documented cases of reductions in the numbers of collisions in a fleet where the drivers were instructed to use DRL's. One that I remember hearing about some years back was the ESB fleet in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

high heels wrote: »

Don't follow your question???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,490 ✭✭✭✭guil

i drive a truck, when its raining its very hard for a car to see by me or me to see them with the spray, the amount of ejits that still try to passs when they cant even see the front of the truck is unbelievable
    If you can't see other cars on the road during the day you shouldn't be driving!

I don't really see the need and as stated in previous posts it'll make motorbikes more invisible.
    most bikers have their lights on all the time anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Side lights are also known as parking lights for a reason.

I always drive with dips on, it si doing no harm and if it saves me from an accident it is all good.

I wish they would bring in mandatory driving lights / dip lights.

Was driving home from Dub 3 weeks ago in bad fog and the number of fools driving with either no lights or parking lights on was scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I don't see the point of headlights over sidelights TBH..

Because the sidelights/parking lamps on most cars are ****ing useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Driving with dipped lights on does not improve your visibility during daylight.

Its to HIGHLIGHT your car to all other cars coming towards you.

Parking lights are useless when driving. All they are are parking lights.

IMO there should be a law that if its raining, lights on. "Wipers on, lights on"

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

I have no choice, my Saab either has side lights or headlights on all the time .... not an issue though for me as I like to drive with my lights on anytime, I really do believe it helps other cars see you, even in broad daylight. Some cars are in colours hard to distinguish from background/horizon so lights on helps you do this. +1 from me too for mandatory lights on. :D

Because the sidelights/parking lamps on most cars are ****ing useless.

It's also illegal to drive with them on as I stated earlier as they are meant to be only used when parked, hence the name parking lights, if only it was enforced :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Since the thread 4 days ago was more to do with DRLs rather than specifically headlights, i think i'll leave this where it is.
    I have to say i would turn on my dipped head lamps everytime i sit into the car. It's just a habit at this stage. I always hate seeing people driving with parking lights, maybe not so much during the day, but it's people who drive with them at night/poor conditions that i can't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

guil wrote: »
    most bikers have their lights on all the time anyway

Thats what I'm saying.....and cars having their lights on will make bikes more invisible if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Personally i see no point..

Yet your sig has a car ( which I assume is yours) that has the fog lights on in daytime?
    061209001bmp.jpg

And why is the OP thanking every single reply? :confused:

Advertisement