Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women that play Texas Holdem

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭aceswild

twitch1984 wrote: »
    stupid ppl suck out mayb 5% of the time the other 95% is whats giving u a big stack :D
    true :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭aceswild

YumCha wrote: »
    irony much?
    seems you may be the one with the problem.i like to think im equal to any man and tbh most men dont treat me any differently to a man when playing.........no irony in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MoltenRock

lets just cut to the chase here. women make crap poker players in general. even the good ones are pretty crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

maybe we are the ones who are fools? how many times have you folded a decent hand to a woman because you just assume they have the nuts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭MoltenRock

prob less than ave. i just read em like anyone else. i saw a girl bluffing in the deepstack tourney in ballsbridge. she bluufed twice (we assume) and then a few hands later she made the most ridiculous 3 barrell bluff in a 4bet pot with air and guys flats her all the way to river with AK on A34AK. she tale JTo. just carzy stupid stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

MoltenRock wrote: »
    prob less than ave. i just read em like anyone else. i saw a girl bluffing in the deepstack tourney in ballsbridge. she bluufed twice (we assume) and then a few hands later she made the most ridiculous 3 barrell bluff in a 4bet pot with air and guys flats her all the way to river with AK on A34AK. she tale JTo. just carzy stupid stuff

She had balls. I see men do this ALL the time(!) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 debwexford

Does (or should) gender matter? This is not a physical sport/game so there should not be any gender advantage. It really is down to how much experience each PLAYER has and their individual style of play. I really hate the "shes ok for a woman" comments when it comes to poker. Lets not be PC about it because that is insulting. If their good their good and if bad (wait for it!) their bad, man or woman. Why should anybody differentiate between the sexes? I think it is only in the last 2 years that a large flow of women are starting to break ranks from the smaller games and getting involved in the male dominated 'festival' arenas. To say which gender are the better players is pointless. Yes men are, and will for the foreseeable future, finishing in most of the payout positions in all the events. But when most of the field are men this is going to happen. I will honestly say that the vast majority(95%ish) of the players that I would consider 'top notch' are men. But I would also say that the vast majority(98%ish) of the players that I would consider 'shocking fish'....... are men!

very well said...

Freyja : As for slow playing your AK (S) you were dead right why be aggressive sure it was his own fault for going all in with a Q3 anyway - that was the bad call and not you slow playing your cards!!!...Nice one and good luck for the future..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 debwexford

MoltenRock wrote: »
    lets just cut to the chase here. women make crap poker players in general. even the good ones are pretty crap.

Give us your history then so.......what have you won?????????? All mouth and no action I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Freyja i do not differentiate between sexes - but in fairness you played teh AK hand bad. your arrangement that females are better than males is not being helped by the fact that other WOMEN are telling you that you played the hand well.

bottom line you played the hand bad and got lucky you were against someone worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Freyja

bubbleking wrote: »
    Freyja i do not differentiate between sexes - but in fairness you played teh AK hand bad. your arrangement that females are better than males is not being helped by the fact that other WOMEN are telling you that you played the hand well.

bottom line you played the hand bad and got lucky you were against someone worse

Please can you take a bit of time to explain to me why I played the hand badly.
    Honestly i am genuinely interested in your take on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭corkie123

cant see were she played hand bad to be honest . this hand can be played both ways but by playing it the way she did she got the result she wanted most of the other guys chips .

A K at the start of any hand is just that as 22 is beaten it pre flop and AK always has to hit and even then it still might not be the best .

i have a total dislike to the hand really having been knocked out of some big touries with it and play it some times with aggression and on other occasions very passively if you miss u can always drop hand and dont be married to it like some players who think its the bees knees and cant seem to be able to drop it even when they know in there own heart they are beaten

OK, I swore I'd never post here again but 2 things:

1. Freya, if you want good responses to a hand post it in the Hand Histories section. I think you'll get better responses at the site in my sig but your call.

2. It's the late stages of a tourney according to your post. An aggro player raises from the button and you are OOP with a premium hand. 3-betting here is WAY better than flat calling. You win the pot way more by raising than calling. As it happened you got the right flop for the muppet to stack off but had the board run out 10, 8, 4 and he shoved what would you have done? Seriously?

In that instance you let an aggro player do exactly what he wants to do, bully you.

FWIW you sound like you are way too passive and seriously need to rethink your basics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Freyja wrote: »
    Please can you take a bit of time to explain to me why I played the hand badly.
    Honestly i am genuinely interested in your take on this.

^^^^^ what kayroo said. you have a great hand so you want to raise to increase the size of the pot when you are ahead. AK is a very strong hand preflop but if you miss the flop it is only Ace high. it is generally not a good idea to slowplay big hands late in tourneys there is spots but this isnt one of them.

Il give you examples of how the hand could have played out

1. you call the board comes out the way it does villain is a dope and you win big
    2. you call the board comes out 2c 8h 10s villain goes all in and you have to fold
    3. you raise preflop and win a small pot
    4. you raise preflop, he calls, the board comes down the way it does and you win a medium pot
    5. you call the board comes down A Q 3 and you lose big.
    6. you raise villain goes all in and you win big

so do you see why raising is better? in all the examples where we raise we are winning money long term.

yes I know you knocked him out but against a semi decent player that would not have hapened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Freyja

^^^^^ what kayroo said. you have a great hand so you want to raise to increase the size of the pot when you are ahead. AK is a very strong hand preflop but if you miss the flop it is only Ace high. it is generally not a good idea to slowplay big hands late in tourneys there is spots but this isnt one of them.

Il give you examples of how the hand could have played out

1. you call the board comes out the way it does villain is a dope and you win big
    2. you call the board comes out 2c 8h 10s villain goes all in and you have to fold
    3. you raise preflop and win a small pot
    4. you raise preflop, he calls, the board comes down the way it does and you win a medium pot
    5. you call the board comes down A Q 3 and you lose big.
    6. you raise villain goes all in and you win big

so do you see why raising is better? in all the examples where we raise we are winning money long term.

yes I know you knocked him out but against a semi decent player that would not have hapened

Thank you for your reply and i totally understand all of your points, please let me explain why i see this particular situation a little differently.

1. It was not that late in the tourney, the numbers were dwindling surely, but there was still approx 100 players left.

2. The man in question was on the button and raised it to 3x my BB, SB folded and the reason I just flat called his raise was cause if I had gone over the top he would have put me all in at that stage given his agressive nature on previous hands, while I did not have position at that stage and was going to be OOP after the flop, I did have the option to at least look at the flop without putting it all on the line.

3. The reason I checked after the flop came down was I decided to slow play him, OK risky but I knew that the minute I checked he was going to commit alot more chips than if I had put out a bet, point proven when he went for 10x the pot.

4. Honestly if I had not hit on the flop, in that particular situation, with that player having observed him and his play, I would not have committed all my chips given his previous erratic play. For any player to go 10x the pot is just pure mental, either they have the absolute nuts and zero experience (not in this case).

Thank you for your reply, I am most def not a passive player, I do change gears quite alot.

Thank you for your reply and i totally understand all of your points, please let me explain why i see this particular situation a little differently.

1. It was not that late in the tourney, the numbers were dwindling surely, but there was still approx 100 players left.

You said it was late in the tourney, regardless this doesn't unduly affect the hand.

2. The man in question was on the button and raised it to 3x my BB, SB folded and the reason I just flat called his raise was cause if I had gone over the top he would have put me all in at that stage given his agressive nature on previous hands, while I did not have position at that stage and was going to be OOP after the flop, I did have the option to at least look at the flop without putting it all on the line.

This isn't just bad, it's EXTREMELY bad thinking.

You WANT aggro players to put you all-in when you have a hand that crushes their range like AK does.

You DO NOT WANT to be playing AK OOP against this guy this passively.

The bit I've highlighted is the worst. It's called Tournament Life Syndrome (TLS) and it is a horrible leak. It doesn't matter if you go out or not, you have to make the most profitable decision in each hand. If this was the final table there are other considerations but right now you just need to work on chip accumulation and raising AK v an aggro donk's button raise is definitely +EV.
    3. The reason I checked after the flop came down was I decided to slow play him, OK risky but I knew that the minute I checked he was going to commit alot more chips than if I had put out a bet, point proven when he went for 10x the pot.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc? Just because it worked this time doesn't mean it is right. It is a rotten way to play this hand and you got lucky, simple as.
    4. Honestly if I had not hit on the flop, in that particular situation, with that player having observed him and his play, I would not have committed all my chips given his previous erratic play. For any player to go 10x the pot is just pure mental, either they have the absolute nuts and zero experience (not in this case).

I really don't follow this too well. Are you saying that since you know he'll pretty much open shove any flop against you that you wouldn't call with a hand that beats his shoving range? This is pretty poor thinking.

Thank you for your reply, I am most def not a passive player, I do change gears quite alot.

Flatting AK OOP to an aggro button raise is really really passive. You'd need to have a pile of gears to get up to speed.

Overall the one thing that stands out from your post is that your thought process and your basic understanding of the game are terrible and you need to re-think your approach. The one MASSIVE positive is that you do actually think about your play which immediately makes you 100x more redeemable than most players. With a little application you could improve very quickly since you clearly are willing to think about hands. You just aren't thinking about them the right way just yet.

Advertisement