Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women that play Texas Holdem

Options
  • 15-02-2010 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

As a girl that has played numerous tourneys over the past 6 years, I sometimes wonder why more women dont play? True it is a male dominated game in Ireland at present but I am still at a loss as to why more women are not playing.
    Personally I believe that men are easier read than women. For some reason I find that most (not all) men seem to think that girls just dont bluff, or that women are not capable of understanding the power of position.
    I remember my first BIG tourney, 300 started approx 5 women, anyway as the number dwindled a very agressive male player arrived to the table, after observing him for a number of hands it was my turn in the big blind, I looked down at AK Clubs suited. The said male was the dealer and he raised 3x my big blind, so I just flat called him, flop A 9 Q rainbow, so I checked, he raised me all in which would have been 10x the pot???? So I called, he turned over Q 3, I turned over my AK and he went absolutely ballistic at the table that I just flat called his raise, said that I had no clue what I was at!! Anyway turn and river were blanks for him and he went out 3 hands later. Ten minutes later he was giving out to his friend behind me as to what a b*tch I was??? and that women should not be allowed in the game. I laughed as he underestimated me or over estimated himself. I went to final table chip leader and finished 3rd with a very very healthy payday.
    I lurrrve playing against men that think that women are stupid and have no idea or read on the game and I firmly believe that women are harder to read than men........do you agree??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

flat calling with AK in the BB, against a button raise in the late stages of a tourney is pretty bad, lol stupids wimmins:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Freyja wrote: »
    firmly believe that women are harder to read than men........do you agree??

I do agree.
    It's difficult to understand how someone else feels and to gauge how will react when they barely have a handle on that themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Men :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Two men entering two large, separate Womens Events in 2009, dominating the field and winning says all there needs to be said about women & poker imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Freyja, seems like you will need to start your own "women only need reply" thread.

I know plenty males use female avatars online, but maybe that's just fetishism:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

As a girl that has played numerous tourneys over the past 6 years, I sometimes wonder why more women dont play? True it is a male dominated game in Ireland at present but I am still at a loss as to why more women are not playing.
    Personally I believe that men are easier read than women. For some reason I find that most (not all) men seem to think that girls just dont bluff, or that women are not capable of understanding the power of position.
    I remember my first BIG tourney, 300 started approx 5 women, anyway as the number dwindled a very agressive male player arrived to the table, after observing him for a number of hands it was my turn in the big blind, I looked down at AK Clubs suited. The said male was the dealer and he raised 3x my big blind, so I just flat called him, flop A 9 Q rainbow, so I checked, he raised me all in which would have been 10x the pot???? So I called, he turned over Q 3, I turned over my AK and he went absolutely ballistic at the table that I just flat called his raise, said that I had no clue what I was at!! Anyway turn and river were blanks for him and he went out 3 hands later. Ten minutes later he was giving out to his friend behind me as to what a b*tch I was??? and that women should not be allowed in the game. I laughed as he underestimated me or over estimated himself. I went to final table chip leader and finished 3rd with a very very healthy payday.
    I lurrrve playing against men that think that women are stupid and have no idea or read on the game and I firmly believe that women are harder to read than men........do you agree??

Fancy a game of heads up strip poker???

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

So you got lucky in a pot where you played poorly and now you're Jen Harmen and all men are Jamie Gold... OK. That's for the heads-up, I'll remember never to get involved in a pot with a woman again in case she reads my soul.

Read the rest of this girls posts... hate men much?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

LOL, issues for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

whatever73 wrote: »
    LOL, issues for sure

a few issues :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

A lot of people here are being sexist. Being sexist is wrong..................

and being wrong is for women :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Rb wrote: »
    Two men entering two large, separate Womens Events in 2009, dominating the field and winning says all there needs to be said about women & poker imo.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭gorrrr72

Lady raise, me no play;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Freyja

Mellor wrote: »
    flat calling with AK in the BB, against a button raise in the late stages of a tourney is pretty bad, lol stupids wimmins:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

It wasnt a late stage in the game...there were about 100 left in the tourney...

Ahhhh now I love men.....we all have our flaws!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I think your average female player is slightly better than your average male player, but generally because they're tighter, which generally makes them easier to play against. I do think they bluff a lot less too.

So you got lucky in a pot where you played poorly and now you're Jen Harmen and all men are Jamie Gold... OK. That's for the heads-up, I'll remember never to get involved in a pot with a woman again in case she reads my soul.

Nope I'm not Jennifer Harman...I dont like her style of play, I didnt get lucky either I had the best hand pre flop (he made a 3x raise into my big blind with a Q3 off suit!) and I had the better hand on the flop. The gentleman that I was playing was an agressive player, so I let him bet and play like I knew he would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Aw yeah!

pokerbabe_sandra-naujoks-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,192 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ootbitb wrote: »
    I know plenty males use female avatars online, but maybe that's just fetishism:D
    Yeah that's true, but the reason for this is so that other women mistake them for women. Whichs makes them think that women cam play poker and they end up losing their money
    It wasnt a late stage in the game...there were about 100 left in the tourney...
    that doesn't make the play any less terrible, again, lol wimmins

Nope I'm not Jennifer Harman...I dont like her style of play, I didnt get lucky either I had the best hand pre flop (he made a 3x raise into my big blind with a Q3 off suit!) and I had the better hand on the flop. The gentleman that I was playing was an agressive player, so I let him bet and play like I knew he would.

You don't like the best, (and I don't even think it's close) female cash game player in the world style but it's cool to make your play.

I'm not having a go be you've give one hand as an example of why women are better at reading than men.

But apart from that, good luck, I hope your success continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

a148pro wrote: »
    I think your average female player is slightly better than your average male player, but generally because they're tighter, which generally makes them easier to play against. I do think they bluff a lot less too.

LOLOLOLOLOL! :rolleyes: Come along to Carfax's Ladies Championship on 20th March... we will have you re-writing that statement. Freya is just one of many.

Bluff?!!! :eek: Oh...You are right. I don't bluff at all... :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I think there is absolutely no excuse for having "women only" poker tournaments these days. The playing field is totally even in poker whether you be male or female.

Rb, the fact that some men have entered and won "women only" poker tournaments does nothing to suggest that men have superior poker playing ability as far as I'm concerned. There are many examples of women triumphing in poker tournaments where the vast majority of participants were male.

Par72 wrote: »

Rb, the fact that some men have entered and won "women only" poker tournaments does nothing to suggest that men have superior poker playing ability as far as I'm concerned. There are many examples of women triumphing in poker tournaments where the vast majority of participants were male.

Right on!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Harman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

There's a belief amongst most poker players that wimmin poker players are weak tight, the OP's story just reinforces that belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

LOLOLOLOLOL! :rolleyes: Come along to Carfax's Ladies Championship on 20th March... we will have you re-writing that statement. Freya is just one of many.

Bluff?!!! :eek: Oh...You are right. I don't bluff at all... :D:D:D

hmmm not sure if you understood what I said, I actually said women are better players.

not allowed play carfax's tournie unfortunately, not eligible. case with equality tribunal pending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭aceswild

YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE SHOVANISTIC PIG AND I HAV A PAIN IN MY FACE WITH YOU GOING ON BOARDS AND RUNNING PEOPLE INTO THE GROUND! IT WOULD SUIT YOU BETTER TO STAY IN YOUR ROOM AND PLAY ONLINE AND KEEP YOUR OPPINIONS TO YOURSELF BECAUSE IF THATS THE BEST HEAP OF BS YOU CAN COME OUT WITH THEN NOBPDY WANTS TO HEAR IT.U NEVER HAV A GOOD THING TO SAY SO IN FUTER JUST SHUT YOUR CAKE HOLE!!!! OH AND IM LIZ WHO U TRIED TO DOG ON THE OTHER SITE.......ASS

You've got me wrong, I think you're lovely.

Also, what does this mean? "SHOVANISTIC", looked it up but can't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭aceswild

You've got me wrong, I think you're lovely.
    you dont even know me! im so mcross at you! i would love to meet u in person! u never have a good word to say about anything!:mad: who are you!

• Advertisement

If you don't like me why would you want to meet me? Doesn't make sense.

Also, look at my posts, in the other forum too, you'll see I'm actually a nice guy.

Advertisement