Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women that play Texas Holdem

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭aceswild

If you don't like me why would you want to meet me? Doesn't make sense.
    to choke u would be an option but i wouldnt waste my energy! to see if your as nasty and hoorid in real life obv and to see if youd be so quick to bitch about ppl and things if u werent hiding behind a screen name

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭wannabecraig

Na, I don't bitch, like I say you got me wrong. But that's okay, reading one or two posts of mine might give you the opinion that I'm a bit of a prick. But it's only a laugh.

Anyway in an effort to stay out of pubs I've started playing live, if I bump into you I'll say hello. But no rough stuff, you seem to be always very aggressive toward me.

Na, I don't bitch, like I say you got me wrong. But that's okay, reading one or two posts of mine might give you the opinion that I'm a bit of a prick. But it's only a laugh.

Anyway in an effort to stay out of pubs I've started playing live, if I bump into you I'll say hello. But no rough stuff, you seem to be always very aggressive toward me.
    i wonder y,i like the way u shirk off goodluck

I've never been agro to you before, so there is no reason I'd start now.

I'm also not sure what I'm evading except telling you my name.

I've never been agro to you before, so there is no reason I'd start now.

I'm also not sure what I'm evading except telling you my name.
    no u werent aggressive u just tried to run me into the ground.much better.to be honest i couldnt give a continental what your name is,i would only need it to avoide you and your sarcy attitude so dont flatter yourself thinking id loose any sleep over you. AGGRESIVE ENOUGH FOR U?

• Advertisement

I asked a serious question of you, wasn't even insulting. I gave my opinion on your opinions. If you're going to be on radio and in the media in general you have to accept that. I'm sorry if you took such offence to it but I had a question on an interview you did as part of a radio broadcast. I thought it was fair enough, sorry if you disagree.

Not sure if it's worth coming to blows over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭westlife2010

Does (or should) gender matter? This is not a physical sport/game so there should not be any gender advantage. It really is down to how much experience each PLAYER has and their individual style of play. I really hate the "shes ok for a woman" comments when it comes to poker. Lets not be PC about it because that is insulting. If their good their good and if bad (wait for it!) their bad, man or woman. Why should anybody differentiate between the sexes? I think it is only in the last 2 years that a large flow of women are starting to break ranks from the smaller games and getting involved in the male dominated 'festival' arenas. To say which gender are the better players is pointless. Yes men are, and will for the foreseeable future, finishing in most of the payout positions in all the events. But when most of the field are men this is going to happen. I will honestly say that the vast majority(95%ish) of the players that I would consider 'top notch' are men. But I would also say that the vast majority(98%ish) of the players that I would consider 'shocking fish'....... are men!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

God you absolutely butchered that hand OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Serious sexual tension ITT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Wow, this place has really gone to the dogs.

• Advertisement

It was always fairly poor tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

Freyja wrote: »
    As a girl that has played numerous tourneys over the past 6 years, I sometimes wonder why more women dont play?

cant find a big enough kitchen??

I asked a serious question of you, wasn't even insulting. I gave my opinion on your opinions. If you're going to be on radio and in the media in general you have to accept that. I'm sorry if you took such offence to it but I had a question on an interview you did as part of a radio broadcast. I thought it was fair enough, sorry if you disagree.

Not sure if it's worth coming to blows over.
    u didnt ask a question you made a comment which said i was disrespectful towards other players and the glamour of the poker scene had gone to my head! you dont even know me! then you come on here being a shovanist? whats the story? have you nothing better to do with your time than degrade other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭westlife2010

aceswild wrote: »
    u didnt ask a question you made a comment which said i was disrespectful towards other players and the glamour of the poker scene had gone to my head! you dont even know me! then you come on here being a shovanist? whats the story? have you nothing better to do with your time than degrade other people?
    what was his question and how are you letting bubbleking away with that post 2 slots up! And Damo72 says he thinks your all lesbians!

what was his question and how are you letting bubbleking away with that post 2 slots up! And Damo72 says he thinks your all lesbians!
    now now phil dnt rise me! that guy was the 1 we were talking bout on the show,hes so condecending he thinks hes jesus christ superstar :) obv thats your title,basically he thinks im an aggressive ho bag! and as 4 the kitchen remark..........men are like floor tiles,lay them down once and you can walk all over them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pok3rdude

In my point of view, it depends on the person playing.

pok3rdude
    pokerinfo@pokerforsell.com
    www.pokerforsell.com
    Poker Chips, Chip Sets, Poker Gaming Supplies & More!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

If she'd raised pre flop, agressive player or not, do you think he would have went all in at the flop?

I know there are 'rules' on how to play the game, but you can't play the game like a machine. There are methods, and then there's reading people.

Probably was luck, or she may have just read him spot on. Maybe she caught him.

I'd also agree, i've not read this forum in a while, but if I were to go on this thread alone this place looks like it's scraping the inside of something not too pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ten minutes later he was giving out to his friend behind me as to what a b*tch I was??? and that women should not be allowed in the game. I laughed as he underestimated me or over estimated himself. I went to final table chip leader and finished 3rd with a very very healthy payday.

By any chance was his name Phil Hellmouth(last name misspelt on purpose)? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

now now phil dnt rise me! that guy was the 1 we were talking bout on the show,hes so condecending he thinks hes jesus christ superstar :) obv thats your title,basically he thinks im an aggressive ho bag! and as 4 the kitchen remark..........men are like floor tiles,lay them down once and you can walk all over them :)

does your husband know your on his computer while hes out working all day?? :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

As a girl that has played numerous tourneys over the past 6 years, I sometimes wonder why more women dont play? True it is a male dominated game in Ireland at present but I am still at a loss as to why more women are not playing.
    Personally I believe that men are easier read than women. For some reason I find that most (not all) men seem to think that girls just dont bluff, or that women are not capable of understanding the power of position.
    I remember my first BIG tourney, 300 started approx 5 women, anyway as the number dwindled a very agressive male player arrived to the table, after observing him for a number of hands it was my turn in the big blind, I looked down at AK Clubs suited. The said male was the dealer and he raised 3x my big blind, so I just flat called him, flop A 9 Q rainbow, so I checked, he raised me all in which would have been 10x the pot???? So I called, he turned over Q 3, I turned over my AK and he went absolutely ballistic at the table that I just flat called his raise, said that I had no clue what I was at!! Anyway turn and river were blanks for him and he went out 3 hands later. Ten minutes later he was giving out to his friend behind me as to what a b*tch I was??? and that women should not be allowed in the game. I laughed as he underestimated me or over estimated himself. I went to final table chip leader and finished 3rd with a very very healthy payday.
    I lurrrve playing against men that think that women are stupid and have no idea or read on the game and I firmly believe that women are harder to read than men........do you agree??

It sounds to me like that guy was just a bully and figured that he could bully his way through and increase his chip count just using that tactic..

I think maybe the fact that he lost to you bruised his ego even more as he was probably thinking, you're "just a woman".. I've seen idiots like this arrive at tables with big stacks of chips and even bigger egos.. most tend to be out after a few hands.

Back on topic, my company had an annual poker tournament every year and even though this place is a literal sausage fest, probably about 15% of the employees are female, less than half that enter the tournament, but you're almost guaranteed to see at least 1 or 2 girls in the final 10..

Girls who know the game are very good players and I wouldnt under estimate any of them.. but I think a lot of guys do exactly that simply because as the OP pointed out, its a male dominated game in Ireland..

If you can hold your own and excel in the game, good for you.. using the advantage that most guys do underestimate a woman is a nice one to have, wish I had it sometimes.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Freyja

Back on topic, my company had an annual poker tournament every year and even though this place is a literal sausage fest, probably about 15% of the employees are female, less than half that enter the tournament, but you're almost guaranteed to see at least 1 or 2 girls in the final 10..

Girls who know the game are very good players and I wouldnt under estimate any of them.. but I think a lot of guys do exactly that simply because as the OP pointed out, its a male dominated game in Ireland..

If you can hold your own and excel in the game, good for you.. using the advantage that most guys do underestimate a woman is a nice one to have, wish I had it sometimes.. :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks for understanding the point of my OP, I do use the fact that certain (not all) men underestimate us girls....played again at the weekend and won the tourney....still the most consistent player for cashing in the weekly game.....still have the joy of male newbies looking at me like I have 4 heads....while the regulars are grinning, cause they were once of his opinion....Oh look its a woman...she has no idea what she is doing....I know it is an advantage to be a girl playing and I do use this to my advantage...so maybe more girls should play because Poker is an excellent game, sitting infront of a computer screen playing cards does not compare in any shape or form to a live tourney/cash game. Playing the person, chips, mind games and the cards is one of the few social pleasures that I really look forward to.
    Anyone know of big tourneys coming up in the Midlands region?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭J_Mac

Its abolutey ridiculous Stone-Age thinking to judge a person's play on gender, age, social class, etc. I have came across women who were great players, and I have come across women who were complet and utter Fish.

To say 1 way or the other that women are better then men is utter nonsense. God this site has gone to the dogs and I'm here ranting to myself at 3am the day before Cheltenham starts. Better get sum sleep :).

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭5Aces

floor tiles? Thats just insulting.

5Aces wrote: »
    floor tiles? Thats just insulting.
    but true :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭DAMO72

but true :D
    You should have folded the Queens:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

OP to answer your question about why more women don't play, I'm a girl, used to play live a lot - and now don't play at all, reasons being:

- live poker is just LOL, seriously it's just slow and boring
    - tournament live poker is even more LOL, for major tourneys after 12-odd hours of sitting in close vicinity with (let's face it mostly men), some of which will have very questionable hygiene levels and social skills, you get rewarded with the prospect of day 2 - another 12 hours of the same, yippee!
    - Female poker players actually tilt me the most. I played the Ladies event at the WSOP once and wanted to shoot myself the entire time.

The majority of girls that play have some huge chip on their shoulder and are just plain scary. They show up to the table expecting some special treatment, or are dressed to "take advantage" of their womanly charms, and then when other players treat them like everyone else, eg. criticising their play, they suddenly get all up in arms like "You can't treat me like that because I'm a woman you chauvinist pig!" You can't have it both ways.

P.S. For what it's worth OP - I agree with everyone else that you butchered the hand, and the fact you still think you played it right even though it was your first big tourney and you've been playing for 6 years just leaves me speechless - given your 'hand discussion' in this thread I would open raise atc on the button against your BB all day.

DAMO72 wrote: »
    You should have folded the Queens:D
    OMG!!!! dnt start me,the only donkey in the room and he has 2 suck out on me! regardless of whether theyre men or women,STUPID PEOPLE SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED PLAY!:mad:

YumCha wrote: »
    OP to answer your question about why more women don't play, I'm a girl, used to play live a lot - and now don't play at all, reasons being:

- live poker is just LOL, seriously it's just slow and boring
    - tournament live poker is even more LOL, for major tourneys after 12-odd hours of sitting in close vicinity with (let's face it mostly men), some of which will have very questionable hygiene levels and social skills, you get rewarded with the prospect of day 2 - another 12 hours of the same, yippee!
    - Female poker players actually tilt me the most. I played the Ladies event at the WSOP once and wanted to shoot myself the entire time.

The majority of girls that play have some huge chip on their shoulder and are just plain scary. They show up to the table expecting some special treatment, or are dressed to "take advantage" of their womanly charms, and then when other players treat them like everyone else, eg. criticising their play, they suddenly get all up in arms like "You can't treat me like that because I'm a woman you chauvinist pig!" You can't have it both ways.

P.S. For what it's worth OP - I agree with everyone else that you butchered the hand, and the fact you still think you played it right even though it was your first big tourney and you've been playing for 6 years just leaves me speechless - given your 'hand discussion' in this thread I would open raise atc on the button against your BB all day.
    im a woman and completely disagree with this,the amount of women that play the "im a woman in poker" card are few and far between,i wear low cut tops when i play but not to distract people,its because its the way i like to dress? if i play badly its down to me not the fact im a woman,if you genuinely think your comments are true then maybe its you that has the chip on your shoulder,more women dont play because its seen as male dominated and some women are intimidated,plain and simple,no other reason.as for the live tournies playing 12 hours........thats part and parcel not to mention part of the glory.if you dont like sitting in a room with men IN A MALE DOMINATED game then obv you did the right thing giving it up,with that attitude its no wonder more women dont play,why would they when being greeted by pure hostility by the only other woman at the table

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

OMG!!!! dnt start me,the only donkey in the room and he has 2 suck out on me! regardless of whether theyre men or women,STUPID PEOPLE SHOULDNT BE ALLOWED PLAY!:mad:

stupid ppl suck out mayb 5% of the time the other 95% is whats giving u a big stack :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

im a woman and completely disagree with this,the amount of women that play the "im a woman in poker" card are few and far between,i wear low cut tops when i play but not to distract people,its because its the way i like to dress? if i play badly its down to me not the fact im a woman,if you genuinely think your comments are true then maybe its you that has the chip on your shoulder,more women dont play because its seen as male dominated and some women are intimidated,plain and simple,no other reason.as for the live tournies playing 12 hours........thats part and parcel not to mention part of the glory.if you dont like sitting in a room with men IN A MALE DOMINATED game then obv you did the right thing giving it up,with that attitude its no wonder more women dont play,why would they when being greeted by pure hostility by the only other woman at the table

irony much?

Advertisement