Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotations?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,006 ✭✭✭✭

Am I just being noobish in thinking its a little too dogmatic?

I mean as a Prot I must have 10-20 useful spells that I use regularly and as theyre called for. I cant imagine falling into a 969 Rotation or anything. It seems like it would feck up your response time if something unexpected were to happen - most especially in PvP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Paladin?

SWE?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Uttik

Overheal wrote: »

I mean as a Prot I must have 10-20 useful spells that I use regularly and as theyre called for. I cant imagine falling into a 969 Rotation or anything. It seems like it would feck up your response time if something unexpected were to happen - most especially in PvP.

Hi mate,

With the way Paladins are now, You use FCFS, As your spells come off CD use them.

I really love tanking on my pally, But its not as easy as alot of people seem to think, I dont even bother trying to explain to non tanks or (DPS Brain Dead morons) As i call them.

They think, If they go full out DPS on a target your not tanking, You will keep full aggro.

They don't understand what AoE tanking is. Or Tanking full stop.

Don't get stressed, Just have fun and enjoy it,

Remember, The raid/party goes as fast/slow as you want, Your the big cheese :D

As for rotation. It depends on what your tanking. And what type of mobs they are. The great thing about pally tanking is your not locked down to a set rotation like DK or Warrior tanks.

It also comes down to your Build.

Do some reading online, There are lots of sites, To tech you, To get the understanding of Pally tanking, They you can make your own FCFS Rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

Overheal wrote: »

Rotations are there to help learn your class. Once mastered its priorities over rotations depending on your spec, play style and situation. If your running PUGs state the kill order for your targets upfront and use an addon like Quick Mark or key bind the symbols. At the end of the day tanking is all about flow. You set the pace and others follow. If a certain DPS keeps messing with your flow then apply the "you yank it you tank it" maxim and tell your healer to let them do a corpse run.

Uttik wrote: »
    With the way Paladins are now, You use FCFS, As your spells come off CD use them.

I really love tanking on my pally, But its not as easy as alot of people seem to think, I dont even bother trying to explain to non tanks or (DPS Brain Dead morons) As i call them.

They think, If they go full out DPS on a target your not tanking, You will keep full aggro.

You call yourself a pally tank? Dear jesus.

I'm sorry but that's completely wrong.

The 6969 rotation or 9696 rotation aren't about just hitting a sequence of buttons to get it right, but rather to make sure that at no time you're dealing with the CD on a button for longer than necessary. Some might think "But taunt will work". Taunt will get you to the top, it won't keep you there, and it only does the dmg necessary to increase your threat if you're not being targetted.

Yes, your rotation will be different depending on the fight...the fight being trash. With trash you're more looking to blow your AOE CD's to pick up agro fast. Always go in with holy shield active, throw down concecration, get off a hammer of the righteous, and maybe even a holy wrath. If it's undead etc it's going to have more of an effect. If you hit undead early with holy wrath, it also means that others won't pull the mob(s) away from you within a few seconds, so conc has a chance to tick, and you can tab between mobs to get at least a hit or two with your seal of vengeance.

If you're doing dungeons and your gear isn't fully protecting you, you'll take an acceptable amount of damage, but that damage will mean heals - heals means mana. So with enough mana you can go with seal of vengeance. When your gear level goes up and you don't take as much damage, you start running out of mana depending on your rotation, but I find that switching to Seal of Wisdom and judgement of wisdom is the best way to go. *edit* forgot to mention that the gear upgrades will be your threat upgrade too, depending on your build *edit*

It's only Ret paladins that are FCFS, but with 3.3 there is about a 20-30 point actual rotation you can use.

Paladins are one of the best classes for gaining, and maintaining threat, but that shouldn't let you get lazy, because there are plenty of classes out there who can go over you depending on your gear, and how you use your rotations. Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of Righteousness, and Avenger's Shield are going to be your top 3 threat bringers. They're your 6's, but you need your 9's in between for a boss fight, in order to keep OTT of the ranged classes.

Get used to your 6969/9696 rotation, and keep an eye on omen with realtime on your TPS so you get used to what generates what kinda threat, and you'll learn how to keep agro on large mobs. Those unmarked large mobs often being the things that you have to actually work on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I feel that rotations died alongtime ago

Now its called " priorities"

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64465039']You call yourself a pally tank? Dear jesus.

The 6969 rotation or 9696 rotation aren't about just hitting a sequence of buttons to get it right, but rather to make sure that at no time you're dealing with the CD on a button for longer than necessary. Some might think "But taunt will work". Taunt will get you to the top, it won't keep you there, and it only does the dmg necessary to increase your threat if you're not being targetted.

Yes, your rotation will be different depending on the fight...the fight being trash. With trash you're more looking to blow your AOE CD's to pick up agro fast. Always go in with holy shield active, throw down concecration, get off a hammer of the righteous, and maybe even a holy wrath. If it's undead etc it's going to have more of an effect. If you hit undead early with holy wrath, it also means that others won't pull the mob(s) away from you within a few seconds, so conc has a chance to tick, and you can tab between mobs to get at least a hit or two with your seal of vengeance.

If you're doing dungeons and your gear isn't fully protecting you, you'll take an acceptable amount of damage, but that damage will mean heals - heals means mana. So with enough mana you can go with seal of vengeance. When your gear level goes up and you don't take as much damage, you start running out of mana depending on your rotation, but I find that switching to Seal of Wisdom and judgement of wisdom is the best way to go. *edit* forgot to mention that the gear upgrades will be your threat upgrade too, depending on your build *edit*

It's only Ret paladins that are FCFS, but with 3.3 there is about a 20-30 point actual rotation you can use.

Paladins are one of the best classes for gaining, and maintaining threat, but that shouldn't let you get lazy, because there are plenty of classes out there who can go over you depending on your gear, and how you use your rotations. Hammer of the Righteous, Shield of Righteousness, and Avenger's Shield are going to be your top 3 threat bringers. They're your 6's, but you need your 9's in between for a boss fight, in order to keep OTT of the ranged classes.

Get used to your 6969/9696 rotation, and keep an eye on omen with realtime on your TPS so you get used to what generates what kinda threat, and you'll learn how to keep agro on large mobs. Those unmarked large mobs often being the things that you have to actually work on.

As always, You show you dont have a Fecking clue what your talking about :D

You still upset i kicked you from the guild :( Its ok mate, Maybe one day you will be good enough to join us.

But i am not going to hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

You still upset i kicked you from the guild :( Its ok mate, Maybe one day you will be good enough to join us.

lol inform me of this drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

/popcorn

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Paladin tank here in an icecrown raiding guild and what he says is right mate, you *can* tank as FCFS but you wont get comfy threat to be honest. I tried it a few times as both and using a standard 6969/9696 rotation will help. if you want some help with threat building and your gear isnt a problem, then drop the dodge libram and pick up the ilevel 245 retri (strength on corruption/vengance tick) libram and get that bit more dps out for more threat.

i don't have an issue with the rotation, hell theres macros out there that do it all for you on mouse buttons but if you get good at building threat then you will find yourself quickly able to adapt to any situation and tank it well (ninja pulls, extra mobs,the lot)

ill post up my rotation later for you if you want but I've a feeling this thread will just turn to **** anyway :(

• Advertisement

Any chance an admin can remove the trade chat from the thread, and leave the comments that help people interested in rotations (and why to use them) for paladin tanks?

There are admins on this forum right?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,006 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah leave them.

PvP rotations?

Splinter wrote: »
    Paladin tank here in an icecrown raiding guild and what he says is right mate, you *can* tank as FCFS but you wont get comfy threat to be honest. I tried it a few times as both and using a standard 6969/9696 rotation will help. if you want some help with threat building and your gear isnt a problem, then drop the dodge libram and pick up the ilevel 245 retri (strength on corruption/vengance tick) libram and get that bit more dps out for more threat.

i don't have an issue with the rotation, hell theres macros out there that do it all for you on mouse buttons but if you get good at building threat then you will find yourself quickly able to adapt to any situation and tank it well (ninja pulls, extra mobs,the lot)

ill post up my rotation later for you if you want but I've a feeling this thread will just turn to **** anyway :(

Cheers for that mate,

I am always open to information that would improve my TPS!

But i just want to say, I don't have problems with TPS. All tho. I was in ICC with another Portpally. His gear was a bit better, But he was pumping out some nice TPS!.

I used the 6969/9696, But i found depending on the pull, I just use something like FCFS, I don't get locked down to a set rotation. It all depends on the pull tbh.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64465039']You call yourself a pally tank? Dear jesus.

It's funny, everytime somebody has a technique, a playstyle or a rotation that works for them, you claim they are wrong. You seem to think you are the ultimate guru when it comes to WoW. You are not, you do not know everything about the game, you don't know every class and everything about every spec. Stop claiming you do, it's getting old. Everyone has their own playing style, they have their own rotations and if it works for them how the fcuk are they wrong?

You are not correct, so please stop telling everyone they are wrong. Good lad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Rotations are easy enough to master on a Resto Shaman...

1. Chain Heal

...wait a few seconds...

2. Chain Heal

...stay calm...

3. Chain Heal

...don't panic...

4. Chain Heal

...take it easy now...

5. Chain Heal

...bit of a close one there...

6. Chain Heal

...ffs man calm down...

7. Chain Heal

...STOP IT STOP THE SHOUTING IN MY HEAD...

8. Chain Heal

...ooh what's this button do...

9. Chain Heal

...Right, I'm going to end this ten step rotation with a little beauty...

10. Chain Heal

Feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Pretty much the same as mutilate rogue.

Do you have 4+ combo points?

Yes -> Envenom
    No -> Mutilate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

TheDoc wrote: »
    I feel that rotations died alongtime ago

Now its called " priorities"

I cant say they died, i think its dependant on your class really. My enhancement shammy just has to fire off lightening bolt when maelstrom is ready, that depends on how many times you land lavalash and stormstrike.

for him te priority is lightening bolt, stormstrike, eathshock, lavalash depending on whats on cooldown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

They really did die a long time ago now.

For hunters more so then anyone, no infact you don't even need to have a priority anymore you can simply mash the keyboard like a bafoon and still come top on the dps charts without even trying. And im not really saying hunters had much fo a rotation to begin with. Yes i know there is more to it like watching for procs and then using the right ability and timing your **** but at the end of the day all HUR DUURRR DERP DEEEEEERRRRRRRRRP.

Anti wrote: »
    They really did die a long time ago now.

For hunters more so then anyone, no infact you don't even need to have a priority anymore you can simply mash the keyboard like a bafoon and still come top on the dps charts without even trying. And im not really saying hunters had much fo a rotation to begin with. Yes i know there is more to it like watching for procs and then using the right ability and timing your **** but at the end of the day all HUR DUURRR DERP DEEEEEERRRRRRRRRP.

The hunter we had yest in VoA10 just proved you completely wrong. ridiculous gear, pulled 3.5K DPS. Im pretty sure i can come close to that on auto-attack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I must be doing something wrong with me Resto rotation (sorry, priority list) all this time, I've been popping earthshields and casting Riptide, what a waste! Guess I'll just /follow the tank and record a macro to cast CH and LHW alterntively every 5 seconds from now on! :D

I quit my hunter becasue it got so monotonous, I had everything macro'd onto one key, and it still worked! Mark/pettattack then /Sting/Concussion/Steady/Steady/Arcane, swap to multishot if anything was on CD, AotV when the low mana alert went off, Feign if you're in trouble, ad nauseum.

It did make mining an awful lot easier though...

• Advertisement

Yeah i know, i dont know what was up with him. Fool should go ahead and just delete his account, throw his pc away and cry in the corner.

What do you get when you put four emo kids in a room?

One goes and kills himself cos he has no corner to cry in....

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong with me Resto rotation (sorry, priority list) all this time, I've been popping earthshields and casting Riptide, what a waste! Guess I'll just /follow the tank and record a macro to cast CH and LHW alterntively every 5 seconds from now on! :D

You, good sire. Clearly have no idea how to play a resto shammy, i can tell this by you adding in lesser healing wave. Just macro CH to every key and mouse button. Then you will build a wall around your keyboard and mouse and fill said wall with a few small animals... Gerbils perhaps..

Anti wrote: »
    You, good sire. Clearly have no idea how to play a resto shammy, i can tell this by you adding in lesser healing wave. Just macro CH to every key and mouse button. Then you will build a wall around your keyboard and mouse and fill said wall with a few small animals... Gerbils perhaps..
    #

You giving advice on keybindings.. Shocking :P

As for Paladin Rotation, I have been playing around with it, And what i said at the start is right,

But then again thats what makes a good tank, Known what rotation to use and when.

I love the fact you are not locked down to a set rotation like my DK!.

Its so funny, I tank a raid on my Pally then jump on to my DK to tank and it feels so erm!! Fecked up.

But i got to agree with what has been said. Its down to each other's play style.

Yes some rotations give better DPS/TPS but there is no WRONG rotation, Just bad ones.

As for this fool, Who thinks he is the dogs bollox .....

PS:: Your not getting invited to the Guild again, So please stop begging for invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Been enjoying raiding on my ele shaman last few months, not as simple as it used to be. Rotation is priority based to a point, but really all depends on your haste values at the time.

Have to agree with Uttik on the whole rotation malarky. But he's still a bollocks ;)

#As for this fool, Who thinks he is the dogs bollox .....

PS:: Your not getting invited to the Guild again, So please stop begging for invites.

Wow. Once again you're attacking me on boards. It's good to know i'm on your mind so much. It's kinda flattering. Though I have enough stalkers, I don't need another.

I asked for an invite to a guild that you just happen to be in. If you're running it, then it was the wrong choice asking for an invite. Or maybe you just think you're running it?

And I am actually right on the rotation for paladin tanks. I'll state the point again clearly - the 696 rotation is in place to minimize the CDs on casts so that you maintain a steady threat, and it doesn't drop off for a second when someone spikes a crit and goes over you, or multiple people eg. multiple warlocks all pushing for the top dps spot, and not concerned about using their threat CDs.

Here's just one of the many threads explaining that to new paladin tanks

I'll quote a line from it you may find disturbing...
    The 969 rotation can be mathematically proven to be the best possible TPS rotation

I guess you could just use FCFS, and then blame the dps for not watching their agro :rolleyes:

To be honest, you can tank whatever you think is best, but i'm going to keep stating the point on the paladin 696 rotation, because I don't think it's fair having people come here asking for help and being given the wrong advice purely because of people's unwillingness to accept facts given by people they don't like. There may be other classes or other builds (example ret) where FCFS is the way it is, but with prot pallies, 696/969 is the best way to gain threat.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

one thing, utilk, you said yourself
    "theres no such thing as the wrong rotations, just bad ones" - yeah, if its not doing enough agro and you lose agro then its pretty bad... so iceman posted stating the 696 rotation is good for gaining agro and maintaining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Uttik and **iceman - both of you just leave it before I have to start deleting posts.
    **iceman (and everybody else really) if you want a mod to do something about a post, please report it instead of complaining about it on thread...

I'm going to leave the thread as it is for now, but I'll be keeping an eye on how it develops

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    Uttik and **iceman - both of you just leave it before I have to start deleting posts.
    **iceman (and everybody else really) if you want a mod to do something about a post, please report it instead of complaining about it on thread...

I'm going to leave the thread as it is for now, but I'll be keeping an eye on how it develops

Aw. I had just put my popcorn in the microwave

Advertisement