Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameserver, who's in, out?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    No, we should have gone together and got a better box, no point having 2 separate tiny groups

Why not? Most of the best missions are with 3 or 4 playing co-op anyway. Ive been on the public servers with 20+ playing evo or domination etc and its just madness with no coordination at all. Even with a voice channel there just becomes a point where you have too many players.

We get any of the latest or not so latest mods, islands or missions that we want to try, when we want them. It costs us less than a pint a month and we have the best of craic doing it.

My point is that its perfect for us and costs fcuk all. A dedi box allows for more players yes but we've tried that and are not interested. Theres nothing better about a dedi box for us, thats all. Its horses for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

A decent dedi box could have run a small second server as well, it did before. All this does is completely split the very small Irish community there is. Outside of You lot there's only about 4-5 of us here playing weekly, although lots contribute and drop in from time to time. Agreed about the missions, the small missions are exactly what we mostly play, but its nice to be able to ramp it up with Domi, Evo or Takistan Force etc. from time to time. We've always left a big mission like Domi or Evo running default for the public when we don't play these small missions, keeps interest in the server

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We should charge for training servers :)

dreamers75 wrote: »
    We should charge for training servers :)

The training server was provided to try revive a dying community, to get one or two new interested players who'd be available to play with us each week. Every one of us have had nights we wanted to play but can't get any others, other nights it just ends up two or three of us. We might as well just give up right here, I'm fed up trying to keep a dwindling community going, its not worth it. Much as I love the game, its just died

Guys, I've had a think and decided I'm stepping down as admin of the server. I've no longer got the will nor desire to try to keep this dying community going, nail, coffin & stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Pretty disappointing to hear considering the effort Pog put in. Splitting what 'community' we have for this game into 2 makes no sense. Pretty much a snub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Maximilian wrote: »
    Pretty disappointing to hear considering the effort Pog put in. Splitting what 'community' we have for this game into 2 makes no sense. Pretty much a snub.

WOW! The toys from the pram are strewn all over the floor in here. There is no 'community'! There are two seperate groups of gamers who happen to play ARMA2. Your group has obviously benefited from the work Pog has put in so it falls to your members to pick up the standard and run with it; become server admin, continue your efforts to attract new members so as to enhance your own gaming experience. Let's face it, any invitation to join your group is born of self interest not heroic altruism. An invitation was extended and declined, thank you kindly for the invitation. We're all the wrong side of thirty here gents! Now I understand breakups are hard but I really think we should see other people. It's not me it's you, etc. etc. Matt.

Simtech wrote: »
    WOW! The toys from the pram are strewn all over the floor in here. There is no 'community'! There are two seperate groups of gamers who happen to play ARMA2. Your group has obviously benefited from the work Pog has put in so it falls to your members to pick up the standard and run with it; become server admin, continue your efforts to attract new members so as to enhance your own gaming experience. Let's face it, any invitation to join your group is born of self interest not heroic altruism. An invitation was extended and declined, thank you kindly for the invitation. We're all the wrong side of thirty here gents! Now I understand breakups are hard but I really think we should see other people. It's not me it's you, etc. etc. Matt.

No offence mate but you come off a complete dickhead with that post. Pog gave you a server and invited you to play on it. Your post above is a very nice way of saying thanks to pog. Noone else invested any time in your "training" :D

None taken! Ya mean we can't be friends???

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Nice overreation to my fairly benign comments.

• Advertisement

Nice spelling genius. In truth it amazes me that a group of people can collectively be arrogant enough to imagine that setting up a 'training' server for those who aren't, apparently, good enough to play a game with the big boys on the 'grown up server' could somehow be perceived as a favour rather than the insult it actually is. To then think that this will attract players to your friendly little grouping beggars belief.
    As the only one here who has ever actually actively served in the military, I can safely say that you would all make excellent officers, with ignorance and arrogance in just the right measure. ;)

Golly I left out a letter. Awesome debating skills.

Safe to say we're fairly glad you have your own pen to play in.

Nice spelling genius. In truth it amazes me that a group of people can collectively be arrogant enough to imagine that setting up a 'training' server for those who aren't, apparently, good enough to play a game with the big boys on the 'grown up server' could somehow be perceived as a favour rather than the insult it actually is. To then think that this will attract players to your friendly little grouping beggars belief.
    As the only one here who has ever actually actively served in the military, I can safely say that you would all make excellent officers, with ignorance and arrogance in just the right measure. ;)

Did you play on the training server? Yes you did, when your little kiddie wheels came off you got your own server fair enough. The other server was always there if you wanted to join it, you chose to join the "training" server :)

But to act like a dick they way you are shows why you must have been a private in the army, constant toilet duty i reckon. French army must be a poorer place without you.

Training was used as its a name that is actually seen in the server browser, better than n00bs. Lots of clans (GITS, Op 4, Kellys Heroes) use the name and provide a regular training public server for those to get the hang of the game, where there's less focus and anyone can fly. I've been playing for 18 months solid and am still getting the hang of some aspects the game, its not something you're going to pickup in day or 2. We've always played on veteran, which can be very tough for someone not used to the game, You lot still don't use veteran.

http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/153350
    http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/137939
    http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/135739
    http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/144222
    http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/134795

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

@Simtech Who the hell are you anyway, where did you come from.

@Simtech Who the hell are you anyway, where did you come from.

Simtech is Matt one of the guys Pog provided a server for to learn how to play the game and with the intention they would join the main server and increase the amount of players from boards.ie playing arma.

It didnt end well. So another irish server bites the dust, rev hellfire will not be pleased. In fairness Pog tried and fair play to him for it.

In fairness to Pog he has done his best for this server and provided a great service. It was he who got me interested in Arma in the first place, we go back a long way, longer than any poxy game.
    The group of us who game together have been doing so for a long time and have had various servers going for different games over the years. We have had a small Arma2 server going since November 2010, its not a new development, albeit of different locations and quality. Pog introduced the second server to try and increase the numbers using the boards server and whilst appreciated it didn't work out.
    Is it ironic, I dunno its late, that this whole debacle and argument started the other day when Pog told me the boards server was down and I offered the use of ours, to anyone here who wanted a game until ye got something sorted.
    Its a shame things have turned out like this but thats the way it goes sometimes.
    Good luck with whatever ye decide to do.

Right, the thing here is, these guys aren't gamers, maybe thats the problem. They come from a flight sim only background. A gamer wouldn't be offended by a training server, these training servers are common in gaming and have been around for years, Quake 3 had them over 10 years ago, Unreal Tournament and Counter Strike had them, Team Fortress and Battlefield still have them. Lots of times they're called n00b servers, gamers don't take offence, it just means light hearted fun with nothing taken seriously, most times its just a place to root out assholes, hackers and grievers, to get userid's for the banlist
    Those of us in the Boards community all had a common interest in other games, These lot didn't and didn't fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thanks for your work Pog, big undertaking to get a beast like ARMA hosted.

gg shots all.

Right, the thing here is, these guys aren't gamers, maybe thats the problem.
    :D Thanks, I had a good laugh at that.
    They come from a flight sim only background.
    :confused::confused:
    Those of us in the Boards community all had a common interest in other games, These lot didn't and didn't fit in.

Do you honestly believe this to be true?

I think I need to spell something out here and then I'm going for a pint. It is St Patrick's day after all.

The reason why we didn't take to the boards server is because we always had better craic on our own one. Not because as you suggested 'we aren't real gamers' :D Im still laughing at that, again thanks.

The 'training server' was pointless to us as we had our own identical server from day one anyway, well before the 'training' server was established. Nobody asked for a server. It was set up in the interests of the boards server, not for our benefit. We were perfectly happy gaming as we were. That, coupled with the constant referrals to the 'grown up server' any time we tried it out etc just made us laugh and say meh, you know what lads, thanks but no thanks.

New members are just that, new. There seems to be a level of gaming snobbery coming through here from some and maybe ye should consider if that is the reason why the boards server has problems attracting new members.

I'm embarrassed that I have even been associated with this argument. I'm finished with the whole thing. Grown men arguing over a poxy game. Its sad.

In answer to the thread title, I'm out.

Happy St Patricks day.

• Advertisement

You guys need a Marshbaboon and stop being so serious

What I meant was, You lot weren't part of a gaming community before this. Boards had a strong gaming community long before this server came along:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/boards_ie
    Then theres Lanparty who provided us with our earlier server:
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/lanpartyie

As an open public group (not a private group like You lot) we always tried to treat the game as fun, not so serious. Maybe you'd fit in with all the "Oscar Mike" groups out there that have locked servers and a chain of command, we tried to make it fun and public, even told jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jigsaw 1

bandit197 wrote: »

The reason why we didn't take to the boards server is because we always had better craic on our own one.

The 'training server' was pointless to us as we had our own identical server from day one anyway, well before the 'training' server was established. Nobody asked for a server. It was set up in the interests of the boards server, not for our benefit. We were perfectly happy gaming as we were. That, coupled with the constant referrals to the 'grown up server' any time we tried it out etc just made us laugh and say meh, you know what lads, thanks but no thanks.

In farness nobody forced u to play on the training server.All you had to do was ask to play on the other one. We didnt say you could not.
    No offence but if you had ur own server and were were perfectly happy gaming as ye were, why did ye decide to join us and then offer to help pay for the server if ye wernt happy.

The training server was set up to help new players learn the game. I understood that ye were new to the game. Its not easy for a new player to jump in to games on vetern difficulty and play hard missions without loosing interest quickly. Thats why the training server was there, to make it easier for ye.

Arma is daunting for new players, most people give up within 2 weeks

jigsaw 1 wrote: »
    No offence but if you had ur own server and were were perfectly happy gaming as ye were, why did ye decide to join us and then offer to help pay for the server if ye wernt happy.
    None taken.
    I went on from time to time with Pog and you guys for a mission or two. I paid for the three months that I was on and off as I didn't want anyone to think I was taking the piss. I always pay my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭FrDougalMcguire

Request artillery on this thread!!!!!

Request artillery on this thread!!!!!

30 seconds to splashdown!!!! :D

You guys need a Marshbaboon and stop being so serious

Sorry, I take that back, nobody needs a MarshBaboon

Advertisement