Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's recession food

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Dot Cotton

Hi I'm a newbie! Laughing at the memories this thread brings back!

Potato salad in a tin!
    Findus crispy pancakes & the mini pizzas!
    Banana sandwiches were all I'd eat for supper for years! Along with milk straight from the bulk tank mmmmmmm :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Fruice - 80 cent a litre

Fish fingers an 80's recession favourite of mine all you need is chips or rice and peas with soysauce..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

macaroons,calypsos and stinger bars lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I found a tin of Squeeze in Dunnes, I didn't know they still made them, you know the ones that you add the tin to water? Our next door neighbour used to make up jugs and I thought it was really posh :D Anyway, I made it up and it is manky! Either they changed the recipe (like the crispy pancakes which I'm convinced were much nicer) or our palate evolved during the bubble

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

[QUOTE=Sala;81036248 Either they changed the recipe[/QUOTE]
    Its not really a recipe, as its just concentrated orange juice, unlike kia ora or something. It should be pretty much the same as the "made from concentrated orange juice" stuff you get which is ready diluted for you, as opposed to tropicana "not from concentrate" stuff.

I am surprised there has not been a resurgence of this stuff, since it is more eco friendly.

If your tap water is nasty the juice will be nasty of course.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 104 ✭✭boiledsweets

baked beans and toast an 80s favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 68,196 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chucken wrote: »
    Granted 1 of my children has a terrible aversion to spuds with "everything" :D

Mam? :P

I've not cooked boiled potatoes once in >5 years due to my mother cooking them *every single day* for at the previous ~20 years.
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Microwaves were new back then, actually this might have been early nineties.
    And local centers ran night classes on how to work them, hard to believe.

They're actually a 50s invention but definitely only became just about cheap enough then.

Found the 'cookbook' that came with my parents 1980s one, it suggests painting on gravy on to a whole chicken skin before nuking it to ensure that it looked "brown"!

Advertisement