Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's recession food

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I wasnt born until 1989 and I still had to live on this stuff, except Smash, we wern't allowed Smash.

Frozen Lamb Grillsteaks and mini chicken waffles where all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭eaglej13

rubadub wrote: »
    Those cheapo small pizzas, still have them in tesco both frozen & fresh. They are about 6" across and used to be in stacks of 10, cheese & tomato.

loved them but cant get them now,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

meat-face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,873 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those formed gammon steaks, grilled with grilled tinned pineapple rings (very posh), mash and veg.

Kellog's waffles - you put them in the toaster.

Birds eye crispy pancakes - to be fare to my mother we never had them for dinner - they were more a self made snack food.

But most of our food was proper homemade grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My memories of 80's Recession Food are a wee bit different. My Nan lived with us & just would not tolerate any manner of frozen or processed foods or any 'foreign food'. :) We occasionally had crispy pancakes & the like as snacks & Angel Delight for dessert (Butterscotch ftw!).

For main meals we had the cheaper cuts of meat & offal. For example, chicken stew made with a 'boiling fowl', stuffed & roasted ox heart, steak & kidney pudding, lamb shanks, liver, bacon & stuffing 'casserole'. Crubeens & boiled bacon ribs were also an occasional Saturday night treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

hardCopy wrote: »
    meat-face.jpg

"Pork luncheon meat?" Pah! It's Billy Roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,197 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Birds Eye waffles, being made take Panda chocolate spread on Ryvita because its "healthier", constant attempts to find if there were beans or cornflakes in own brands anywhere that were edible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Birds used to do a complete trifle set - my Gran used to make it every Sunday for us, it was the highlight of our week - that and the Petit filous that we used to storm her fridge for.

I still love it. I made a blueberyy jelly (homemade), creme pat and armeretti biscuit trifle topped with clotted cream and brandy snapcigars a while ago and it has been requested time and time again. But I would take the Birds every time over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I used to love that trifle.
    What was that, dream topping or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭phormium

You can still get that trifle, always tasted nicer than if you bought the separate bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Danish biscuits

They came in a metal tin and they were definitely advertised as being from Denmark

Biscuits of the gods, probably only saw them once a year when the relations gave a tin at Christmas

Not seen them in years, sadly missed

Was the tin dark blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Danish butter cookies? I fecking love them!
    Mrs Billy has been searching for them every Christmas over the past few years for me, but has had no luck. :(

MVC-904F.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

That's them alright

Droool :p

It's a good few years since I've last seen them, maybe six or seven

Ah yeah, we definitely had those. Just the once, but the tin hung around for years and years for various storage purposes so it's very engrained in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Danish Butter cookies are still widely available. Lidl often do them and Tesco do them all year round for sure. My boyfriend gets a box nearly every week! I don't like them at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

My brother wouldn't eat real potatoes, only Smash and his favourite dinner was sliced corned beef (the stuff you'd use on sandwiches), packet gravy & Smash. I used to call it "Pov Dinner".

The littlest brother had a big thing for the Danish Butter Cookies.

I remember the Marvel powdered milk which we had to endure one winter when the snow stopped fresh milk getting to the corner shop. Vile stuff!

Other things I remember... Nesquik, Dracula icepops, Vesta Risotto (loved it), Mona yoghurt, Heinz Vegetable Salad in a tin, egg & onion sandwiches, Secret Agents sweets, Leadmore icepops (we spent the summers in Clare & that's all they stocked in the local shops), Two and Two chocolate, Spangles, red liquorice laces, fizzle sticks, flying saucers, Nimble bread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

As a treat, we would get Quick Lunch- it was like Pot noodle.

Sugar sandwiches, it was lovely biting through the crispy sugar!!

This thread makes me realise how much "rubbish" we ate in those days, yet we all survived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Danish butter cookies? I fecking love them!
    Mrs Billy has been searching for them every Christmas over the past few years for me, but has had no luck. :(

MVC-904F.JPG

I love these. Dunnes generally have them for Christmas and I have also seen them in Super Valu at Christmas.

I have 2 unopened tins that I'm looking forward to. 454 grammes for something ridiculously low like €3.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

God lads, for recession food there's a tonne of desserts here...

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried waffle burgers? Standard burger / cheeseburger but replace the bread with Birds Eye waffles. Lovely.

And I regularly have a pack of Angel Delight with a couple of sliced bananas and a half flake crumbled on top. Or most recently with raspberries instead of bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Meatballs, in onion gravy! havent had them in a long time!! use to love them :)

those pies in the tin, the pastry was just nummy!! :D

mashed potatoes with some cheese mixed in, was a fave of mine for dinner for a long time :)

angel delight, neoplitan icecream, dib dabs, icecream coke float, country spring fizzy drinks, tk lemonade........the list goes on :pac:

Beans on toast
    Beans on waffles

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

Liver, onion gravy and creamy mash, followed by tinned peaches and Bird's dream topping or my mam used to send me out to the ice cream man when he was doing the rounds and get him to fill up the Tupperware bowl with ice cream.

Soda Stream all the way back then, we used to get the replacement gas bottles of the ladies on the till in Quinnsworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Birds used to do a complete trifle set - my Gran used to make it every Sunday for us, it was the highlight of our week - that and the Petit filous that we used to storm her fridge for.

I still love it. I made a blueberyy jelly (homemade), creme pat and armeretti biscuit trifle topped with clotted cream and brandy snapcigars a while ago and it has been requested time and time again. But I would take the Birds every time over it.

I was wondering when Bird's Trifle would appear! That used to be the biggest treat of all on a Sunday.

Tuesday was chip night in our house - looking back on it I have no idea how our mother didn't burn the house down - stacks of chipped spuds (cut by our own fair hands and steeped in water) straight into a big saucepan of oil and WHOOOOOSH it'd boil up , but never over, she had it down to a fine art. Can't imagine what on earth H&S would make of that now :eek:. But man, they were good chips.

Our uncle in England used to work for some Danish meat company and regularly used to appear with tins and tins of some lunch "meat" along the lines of SPAM, used to love it at the time but it give me the shivers just thinking about it now!

Another weekly favourite was "toasted cheese sandwiches" - not really toasted but baked - two slices of white pan with thick slices of Calvita cheese in the middle (had to be Calvita, nothing else was as good), buttered on the outside, and baked till crispy in the range oven. Nom nom nom!

Gawd, the memories!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Another weekly favourite was "toasted cheese sandwiches" - not really toasted but baked - two slices of white pan with thick slices of Calvita cheese in the middle (had to be Calvita, nothing else was as good), buttered on the outside, and baked till crispy in the range oven. Nom nom nom!

Oh, heaven!
    But afterwards you'd be peeling the crust of the cheese off your teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Pigs head and the eyes were kept to see us through the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Those formed gammon steaks, grilled with grilled tinned pineapple rings (very posh), mash and veg.
    I don't think gammon steaks are formed meat. Juat boned and rolled. Prob better quality then most of the ham you buy today.
    Hmmm, I think i'll buy these this week. Getting bored of the same 3 or 4 meats lately.

Birds eye crispy pancakes - to be fare to my mother we never had them for dinner - they were more a self made snack food.
    I've had a massive craving for crispy pancakes for age. Can't be found.
    Ditto for potato waffles. Lookign for them for ages - probably availible everywhere in Ireland but can't be found in Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Heinz sandwich spread
    Cabbage water
    'Gur' cake from Superquinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Steepy peas on a Sunday ("diluted" on the Saturday night with the mystery
    white tablet)

:)

Marrowfat peas they're called. Vile. And I still have no idea what that white tablet did.

For main meals we had the cheaper cuts of meat & offal. For example, chicken stew made with a 'boiling fowl', stuffed & roasted ox heart, steak & kidney pudding, lamb shanks, liver, bacon & stuffing 'casserole'. Crubeens & boiled bacon ribs were also an occasional Saturday night treat.

Jesus you ate well! Crubeens, boiled ribs, steak and kidney, lamb shank, chicken stew - all delicious if done right. Funny how things like lamb shank, pork belly and oxtail would have been seen as cheap on-a-budget cuts of meat in those days yet are very much in demand now.

Advertisement