Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980's recession food

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,020 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Marrowfat peas they're called. Vile. And I still have no idea what that white tablet did.

Yum! The nicest part of Sunday dinner!!! And I've no idea what the tablet did either.....

Milk in bottles with the foil caps that the birds had usually pecked through - half a crate delivered every day with a full crate and some Jersey milk delivered on a Saturday. (has this been said already:confused:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Runny egg , Fries, Beans
    Angel delight
    Strawberries and cream
    Saussages,beans,smash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Don't forget the eating paper! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

keithob wrote: »
    Cola Cao ???

Ha, I remember the ad for those and it was some young lad doing gymnastics around the place.
    I'm pretty sure they tied themselves in with the Olympics

Hmmmm, powdered food
    So is Slimfast makes you slim then Cola Cao makes you super strong

I was having glasses of the stuff every day

Power of advertising :o

And for another recession food, Country Spring three litre bottles.
    Cheapest brand on the market and realy, it was as nice as the more expensive lemonade

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Grew up in London.

So most was Sainsbury's own brand only .

The things that stick in the mind are

Angel Delight ( or rather Sainsbury's own brand one )
    Someone mentioned the breakfast slices , these were sort of re-formed bacon, quite spicy .
    lots and lots of veg. Often 3 veg with a meal.
    Cornflakes ( again Sainsbury own brand )

milk was delivered so we never seemed to run short , we also got as a treat once a week the ' gold top ' which was the Channel Islands milk , anyone else remember the cream on the top of the milk ? It used to make your cornflakes stick together .

mmm gold top. yum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yum! The nicest part of Sunday dinner!!! And I've no idea what the tablet did either.....

Milk in bottles with the foil caps that the birds had usually pecked through - half a crate delivered every day with a full crate and some Jersey milk delivered on a Saturday. (has this been said already:confused:)

Substitute bread soda for the white tab. Made the peas rehydrate better!

Love the taste of old fashioned dried marrowfat peas ina real Sunday dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I thought marrowfat peas had gone out of fashion. Kind of a relic of the 1980s. But I had fish and chips in The Bloody Stream (Howth) recently and they were served with mushy marrowfat peas which quite surprised me, as a lot of people don't like them, myself included. One of those things you either love or hate I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

God no, I love mushy peas. I think whenever fish and chips are served in restaurants they come with mushy peas most of the time (although they can often be available in chippers too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

Angel Delight. F**k yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Just thought of another couple.... Potato cakes (leftover spud - anything to fill you up!) and Batch Loaf sandwiches the size of doorsteps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 mrtayto1

Baked alaska for desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Marrowfat peas they're called. Vile. And I still have no idea what that white tablet did.

Jesus you ate well! Crubeens, boiled ribs, steak and kidney, lamb shank, chicken stew - all delicious if done right. Funny how things like lamb shank, pork belly and oxtail would have been seen as cheap on-a-budget cuts of meat in those days yet are very much in demand now.

the white tablet......was usually put in with dried peas....it help to retain the green colour..and cabbage too.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Just thought of another couple.... Potato cakes (leftover spud - anything to fill you up!) and Batch Loaf sandwiches the size of doorsteps!

Potato cakes are great, I still make them regularly. I've even made them from Smash!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ha, I remember the ad for those and it was some young lad doing gymnastics around the place.
    I'm pretty sure they tied themselves in with the Olympics

Hmmmm, powdered food
    So is Slimfast makes you slim then Cola Cao makes you super strong

I was having glasses of the stuff every day

Power of advertising :o

And for another recession food, Country Spring three litre bottles.
    Cheapest brand on the market and realy, it was as nice as the more expensive lemonade

O Conners in Nenagh were still selling cola cao up to the day they closed :eek:

Super valu have 3 litre bottles of country spring and crispy pancakes

Ohhhhh...cream soda, nom

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

This thread is class, brings back so many memories, like others my mum did a lot of baking, brown bread or fruit soda bread with lots of butter and jam. She also used to make flapjacks and big trays of cakes with pink icing and sprinkles and cut them into squares. I had to laugh at the pressure cooker, my mum used to boil ham and cabbage in there....one of my least favorite meals. I too ate loads of those findus crispy pancakes (still available in tesco and not as nice as I remember) and the small cheese pizzas. When my mum wasn't there my dad used get us to microwave them. I remember calvita cheese with heinz sandwich spread on white bread or jam sambos. I remember I used to get cheese sandwiches for lunch which used to be luke warm by the time it got to lunch time.I remember birthday parties were a big affair with icecream cakes and tk lemonade and we used to make ice cream floats. I also remember everyone used to get a goodie bag going home which always had a home made iced bun or fruit bun in there.I remember runny eggs with toasted soldiers for dipping and on a Sunday morning we used to all fight over the batch loaf heel as that was the best piece for toasting. Being the only girl I always lost out!

I also had to laugh at the biscuit tin remark. We used to get them at Christmas time as a gift and used them for storage for years afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Literally salivating at the memories.
    Anyone else remembering smells of foods described here?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..:D

You know,after reading the thread,the fact is it wasnt "recession" food really..it was just food.

Cheap and cheerful was good :)

I can honestly say I never heard the word "recession" untill a few years ago and I was a mammy in the 80's ;)

"Make do" I learned from my mam.

Granted 1 of my children has a terrible aversion to spuds with "everything" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

5 years in St Jarlaths Tuam as a boarder - suffering christ.

Standard meal was a 2mm slice of 'meat' floating on a layer of congealed fat and cold gravy, served with soapy burst spuds and a veg mash - generally of an orange colour - all pressure boiled into a submissive mush.

I don't think I can ever look at a value burger again as long as I live.

It took me years to eat deserts after, you ate whatever sugar laden slush that was put in front of you because you were hungry.

I used to feel sorry for the lads who were diabetic, because we stole their food off their plates.

Must say with a change of head dean in 1988 at least frozen veg was replaced with fresh stuff.

Even on small ships in the North Sea, 4 weeks out and running short on supplies there is normally something edible, but it the one place I have come across a similar standard - that and Soviet hotels in the late 80's just before the wall came down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Cornflakes and hot milk for breakfast with loads of sugar
    In our primary school we got a carton of flavored milkshake and a sugary jam donut every day for break, subsidised by the board of education
    Jam sandwiches for lunch and a flask of tomato soup
    Lamb chops, onion gravy and mashed potatoes
    Rashers, sausages, gravy and mashed potatoes
    Big pot of stew that would last for 3 days, my favourite and still is

Soda Stream drinks
    Cola Cao
    Cheaper substitute for coke and orange cans called 'Smak'

Horrible nasty tapioca or semolina - YUCK my mother thought I loved it
    Lustre tinned fruit with Birds custard
    Black forest gateaux when it was somebody's birthday YUM
    This flavoured syrup you added to milk and stir it was gorgeous, I loved the banana one!

Cherry Coke, Lilt, TK cream soda, Bovril

Sugar sandwiches
    Banana sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Tin of campbells meatballs, loved them! Dread to think what was actually in them... Crispy pancakes as well. Actually bought them recently and they're very different, the outside bit is really weird and hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

bearhugs wrote: »
    Tin of campbells meatballs, loved them! Dread to think what was actually in them... Crispy pancakes as well. Actually bought them recently and they're very different, the outside bit is really weird and hard.

Yeah loved the tins of meatballs wonder how they were so smooth in consistency? The Findus crispy pancakes have hardly any filling in them anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yeah loved the tins of meatballs wonder how they were so smooth in consistency?[HTML]Probably best to not think too much about that.[/HTML]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yeah loved the tins of meatballs wonder how they were so smooth in consistency?
    They are completely liquidised/ground meat, rather than homemade ones from mince meat.

If you defrost most 1/4lber burgers you will see they are a much more liquidised/ground consistency than one you might make yourself from mince, or get in a butchers.

If you repeatedly squish regular mince in your hands you can get the same effect.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Pork. F*cking. Chops. You evil little feckers!! oh god we were over loaded with them! Now neither myself nor any of my siblings can eat them!

Mam went grocery shopping every thursday when Dad got home from work. All the way to Dunnes Stores in Kilnamanagh. And she's get one pack of biscuits. Whatever ones were the cheapest or on special and by god when they were gone... they were gone... usually within 2 mins of her unpacking them! lol.

Our treats also were rice pudding, semolina and bread and butter pudding with custard.

She still makes us rice pud and bread and butter pud and my sisters are in their 30's.. I'm not too far off.. but it's still a savage treat from mammy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Danish butter cookies? I fecking love them!
    Mrs Billy has been searching for them every Christmas over the past few years for me, but has had no luck. :(

MVC-904F.JPG
    I saw butter cookies (not sure what brand) in this weird shop in dunlaoghaire shopping centre near golden discs. It is sort of like a €2 shop trying to be more upmarket, stuff is not all crammed in as much, and they sell various foods. Shop is called tiger

http://www.tiger-stores.ie/new_for_june/new_for_june/skip_ball_1501529_2.html
    ChewChew wrote: »
    Pork. F*cking. Chops. You evil little feckers!! oh god we were over loaded with them! Now neither myself nor any of my siblings can eat them!
    Most parents would destroy them with overcooking. I have to ask the old man for a blue steak for it not to be cremated, and I still get it fairly well done.

Lidl do Danish Butter Cookies in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Banana Sandwiches. Or was that just my house?? Still can't stomach a banana to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Sala wrote: »
    Banana Sandwiches.

Lovely stuff still.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭maryishairy

"Cool Crocker" from Dawn Dairies.

Tetrapak 250ml, picture of a crocodile juggling fruit on both sides. Thought of it brings me back to my national school days :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

PS Did that many of you really have Smash as kids???

My mum would at least not have fed us that evil crap - isn't it more expensive than real potatoes anyway??

Er...what's wrong with Smash?

Advertisement