Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monday onward, frost, ice returns - snow later

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Supercell wrote: »
    Snowing here now, forecasts seem pretty accurate to me so far, currently 1.2/-0.2°C

you're nice and high and as last winter and this winter seems to be proving you are in a fantastic spot for snow,when a easterly or north-easterly wind be a blowing,were not all as lucky and as I said it looks like more dreary non event rubbish for most of us,and then temps going back to around normal.

att:Derekon
    I am well aware of what has happened and what is more than likely going to happen(weather wise),ta anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ugh this is getting crap it isnt even 2c here and its 8pm what is happneing and infact the temp has risen to 4c in eglinton! how the heck are we going to get -2c at that!! here i was thinking about a frosty -4c night then cloud came back in again... and when are the dps for dropping! uigh!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Snow and graupel from earlier melted and has now refrozen toform sheet ice everywhere, and I have to drive to work later..going to be a slow drive.
    Hope thats the last of the showers to be honest.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think this week will be a complete disaster for winter seekers - low level moisture trapped under the inversion giving gloomy grey days, maybe some broken StCu for the lucky ones, and temperatures not falling much at night. At least it's going to be dry, so a chance for the land to dry out.

This thread should be closed as and from now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

owenc wrote: »
    ugh this is getting crap it isnt even 2c here and its 8pm what is happneing and infact the temp has risen to 4c in eglinton! how the heck are we going to get -2c at that!! here i was thinking about a frosty -4c night then cloud came back in again... and when are the dps for dropping! uigh!!!!

Would it be impolite to ask if you are deranged?

I can't make any sense of your posts and I have this vision of you running in and out of your front hall checking the temperature on your thermometer; once you see the temp rising slightly , you then go very red and foam at the mouth !! :)

Derek

• Advertisement

Su Campu wrote: »
    I think this week will be a complete disaster for winter seekers - low level moisture trapped under the inversion giving gloomy grey days, maybe some broken StCu for the lucky ones, and temperatures not falling much at night. At least it's going to be dry, so a chance for the land to dry out.

This thread should be closed as and from now! :rolleyes:

Agreed....could one of the moderators do us all a favour and put his thread out of its misery...:)

Derek

derekon wrote: »
    Would it be impolite to ask if you are deranged?

I can't make any sense of your posts and I have this vision of you running in and out of your front hall checking the temperature on your thermometer; once you see the temp rising slightly , you then go very red and foam at the mouth !! :)

Derek

what?

jambofc wrote: »
    you're nice and high and as last winter and this winter seems to be proving you are in a fantastic spot for snow,when a easterly or north-easterly wind be a blowing,were not all as lucky and as I said it looks like more dreary non event rubbish for most of us,and then temps going back to around normal.

att:Derekon
    I am well aware of what has happened and what is more than likely going to happen(weather wise),ta anyway

Careful what you wish for, there is a point where it just becomes too much..a few weeks ago here...

104721.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Whats wrong with the thread!?

We are heading into a cold period of weather, be it very exciting or not very exciting.

If this was any other year we'd be grasping this and looking out our windows for those graupel showers.

The synoptic is very close to being very nice but it doesnt look like working out.

Still going to be a cold week with frost and a few wintry showers.

With below average temps.

Then potential for unsettled cold weather from the north.

I really don't think this spell was ever hyped up and it is just beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

We are heading into a cold period of weather, be it very exciting or not very exciting.

If this was any other year we'd be grasping this and looking out our windows for those graupel showers.

The synoptic is very close to being very nice but it doesnt look like working out.

I agree completely:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

very cold out here in bray : 4.0/dp1.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I don't think it's going to be that cold, maybe not even below average in a lot of places. With a persistent deck of cloud in most areas, diurnal temperature ranges will be narrow, so cool by day and similar at night. Murky I'd call it. It's probably going to be the most boring weather we'll see for a long time.

Yes there is the "potential" for cold from the north next week....but then again that could dry up, just like the "potential" for this week has gone south.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

jambofc wrote: »
    looks like cold dreary non-event weather all right,another hugely ramped event.before anyone says anything i no the charts were looking good(i even lost it and posted way out charts)for a snow event,thing is this winter the charts only seem reliable out to +96 and even at that they've got it wrong.
    worst winter for snow in years in my part of the country :(
    has been a story of so near but yet so far,anyway when is it going to snow ;)

believe me i feel your pain, although in fairness i did get a bit more than you this winter. still, you can never get enough of the precious:pac: with the cold never far away this winter i was hoping we'd all get a significant snowfall at lower levels. that's the infuriating thing it could be several years before we have the favourable background signals that lead to sustained cold. i'd like to believe we are in an cycle of cold winters, like the eighties, but i fear next winter will be dominated by mild south westerlies
    still, i guess on a more upbeat note, there is still some time for a decent snowfall at lower levels before winters up.

Just watched the lovely Jean there on RTE weather after the Nine O'Clock news.

Two things to note:

1. Heavy snow for the south east of England come Thursday / Friday :mad:

2. No snow for Ireland :mad:

I think we can say good bye to snow this week.

Would I be right in saying if that High pressure was further west, we would drag colder air in from Europe? !!

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My friend in Leesburg Virginia sent me this pic , its not far from washington
    This would be nice.
    dsc09560a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Pangea wrote: »
    This would be nice.
    dsc09560a.jpg

:eek: :eek:

Ach,I saw more snow than that here in january 82 :pac:

Regarding this cold spell,yes theres a non chalant week coming up.
    But what comes next is far from nailed.

I wouldn't trust models beyond 120 as far as I can throw them.

Just watched the lovely Jean there on RTE weather after the Nine O'Clock news.

Two things to note:

1. Heavy snow for the south east of England come Thursday / Friday :mad:

2. No snow for Ireland :mad:

I think we can say good bye to snow this week.

Would I be right in saying if that High pressure was further west, we would drag colder air in from Europe? !!

Derek
    When is this cloud for moving so we can get some cold frosty nights and when I say cold I mean -4 or -5c maybe -6c..... So when is it possible???

owenc wrote: »
    When is this cloud for moving so we can get some cold frosty nights and when I say cold I mean -4 or -5c maybe -6c..... So when is it possible???

you'll give yourself an ulcer;)
    the good stuff always seems to get pushed back, however if the ecmwf model view of things verifies, then you could see snow and frost at night in around six days time.

Pangea wrote: »
    This would be nice.
    dsc09560a.jpg

i'd nearly forgo the most fundamental human desire for a year if it meant i could wake up to a scene like that:o.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yeah was some storm they got.
    This is it from space with a beautiful eye.

NASA_GOES_EAST_CLOSE_2030z_FEB_6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Finally im able to log in:)

So ive been keeping track of this upcoming cold spell the past few days now and I have to say i'm rather disappointed the way this is turning out, that high just wants to sit over us killing any snow potential, also it looks like England is in for more snow yet again which is just not fair. But hopefully we'll see something special next week but im not getting my hopes up.

danni2 wrote: »
    Finally im able to log in:)

So ive been keeping track of this upcoming cold spell the past few days now and I have to say i'm rather disappointed the way this is turning out, that high just wants to sit over us killing any snow potential, also it looks like England is in for more snow yet again which is just not fair. But hopefully we'll see something special next week but im not getting my hopes up.

I would not get your hopes up to be honest
    The recurring theme is that the cold spell is "next week"; however next week with snow never arrives :mad:

Just had a look at the long term forecast on Sky News
    Not only is there no snow for Ireland up to Sunday, the mucky Atlantic weather is forecast to bring drizzle and rain to the island by Monday with temps of 6oC

Meanwhile the south east of England is due to get a plastering :mad:

Typical

I think the following equation is the reality we must all face :

snow + ireland = extremely rare

The sooner we all face this the better instead of this constant obession with charts that in reality never materialise (with me being the biggest offender :D)

Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Just had a quick look on google earth and we share the same latitudinal line with Germany, Russia, Japan, the whole of Canada and lots of other places renowned for being very cold(it was a quick look!) And yet all we get is this half assed rubbish. Ireland's pathetic weather systems really need to man up and grow a pair.

A decent storm every now and then would be nice...I'm sick to death of grey, grizzly, miserable and damp. (Emigration is not an option)

I feel much better now...thank you for listening :o

Just had a quick look on google earth and we share the same latitudinal line with Germany, Russia, Japan, the whole of Canada and lots of other places renowned for being very cold(it was a quick look!) And yet all we get is this half assed rubbish. Ireland's pathetic weather systems really need to man up and grow a pair.

A decent storm every now and then would be nice...I'm sick to death of grey, grizzly, miserable and damp. (Emigration is not an option)

I feel much better now...thank you for listening :o

Just one problem with your latitudinal line theory

The Gulf Stream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Just one problem with your latitudinal line theory

The Gulf Stream :D

Not really a theory TBH, more of a "they've got some and I want some" notion...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

I would not get your hopes up to be honest
    The recurring theme is that the cold spell is "next week"; however next week with snow never arrives :mad:

Just had a look at the long term forecast on Sky News
    Not only is there no snow for Ireland up to Sunday, the mucky Atlantic weather is forecast to bring drizzle and rain to the island by Monday with temps of 6oC

Meanwhile the south east of England is due to get a plastering :mad:

Typical

I think the following equation is the reality we must all face :

snow + ireland = extremely rare

The sooner we all face this the better instead of this constant obession with charts that in reality never materialise (with me being the biggest offender :D)

Derek
    Typical forecast from sky, but I pretty much agree with everything you said there Derek, and England will nearly always have the advantage of snow over us.

But there is one cold setup that we can beat England to the snow and that's a returning polar maritme setup. Ive mentioned this before that this setup we will nearly guarantee snow.

1. Although they only last a couple of days they do bring widespread snowfalls over a short period of time

2. Nearly all of Ireland sees snow from this setup

3. England get's little or now snow out of this setup

So this setup will be the perfect revenge over England;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Realy heavy hail/frozen rain here now...1am....turning the ground white:D

Anyone from Roundwood area in general still up? Looks like there is a streamer last while there, and I'm not liking the fact that my station temp is close to freezing..is there anything settling there. i'd like to make it back home in the morning from work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

2.8/-0.7

cloudy,nothing to report except more dreary rubbish and the charts make me feel like crying for the immediate future :(

Advertisement