Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Saturday Night Show - Feb 6th 2010

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Aidric wrote: »
    This post is wrong on just about every level.

In your opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

Brendan is a tool. He was the bucko writing in the Indo (which is just drivel) stating that you should buy property at a time when market was crashing. He is smarmy and just not funny. I would not watch his programme on Principle and any public servant who watches it is betraying the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Brendan is a tool. He was the bucko writing in the Indo (which is just drivel) stating that you should buy property at a time when market was crashing. He is smarmy and just not funny. I would not watch his programme on Principle and any public servant who watches it is betraying the public sector.

If you had the money and need the house NOW, it is the time to buy.

Ha! you cant watch it because he slates the public sector and does it well. At least his drivel is down to earth and is what anyone is talking about down the pub or around the kitchen table.

hblock21 wrote: »
    If you had the money and need the house NOW, it is the time to buy.

Ha! you cant watch it because he slates the public sector and does it well. At least his drivel is down to earth and is what anyone is talking about down the pub or around the kitchen table.

He wrote the buy now thing about three years ago. He is just an independent boot boy. Yes,Im sure a lot of his views are repeated but there is a case of the media setting the agenda. Useful scapegoat the public sector. Avoids Indo owning up to fact that they were wrong about FF and wrong about property market.

Thats not saying public sector wage bill didnt have to come down but the indo is so obsessed with public sector it borders on incitement to hatred. It also shows their lack of ideas At least the Irish times has a magazine each week-INNOVATION about new ideas.

Only simpletons think the indo is a serious paper-well the Sunday Indo. The daily paper has some good columnists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This post is wrong on just about every level.

Elaborate. My post is kinda tongue in cheek, as there is no possibility of it happening. But I guess my point is that given the choice I would far prefer to have Brendan O'Connor presenting. He's far from my favourite presenter, and I dont think he's perfect, but we can only work with what RTE give us. I still think Dara O'Briain would be great, and Craig Doyle would be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

O'Connor has it for 8 weeks then Craig Doyle takes over for another 8. Apparently... At 4 guests a night I'd wonder how are they going to fill the slots.

Barrymore was very strange last night. You can see he is a genuine entertainer, he's off his trolley really.. Only problem was it went from the sublime to the ridiculous, well sublime maybe going too far but ridiculous certainly isn't. I enjoyed him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I love youtube:

Feck me, he's not well.

kraggy wrote: »
    I love youtube:
    Feck me, he's not well.

Somebody posted blonde bimbo in reference to Cathy Kelly.. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Elaborate. My post is kinda tongue in cheek, as there is no possibility of it happening. But I guess my point is that given the choice I would far prefer to have Brendan O'Connor presenting. He's far from my favourite presenter, and I dont think he's perfect, but we can only work with what RTE give us. I still think Dara O'Briain would be great, and Craig Doyle would be worth a shot.
    O Connor hasn't an ounce of charm or panache needed to be a successful talk show host. He is an awkward presence on a tv screen, thinking a quip here or there will make up for his obvious inadequacy. You have a personal distaste of Tubridy so there is little time trying to have a reasoned critique with you. Fwiw I think Tubridy has done quite well so far with a limited hotchpotch of guests. I've never got the feeling that any of his guests have felt awkward or uncomfortable in his presence whereas with O Connor I get the distinct impression that some of them are thinking WTF is this gigantic head trying to impart?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

O Connor hasn't an ounce of charm or panache needed to be a successful talk show host. He is an awkward presence on a tv screen, thinking a quip here or there will make up for his obvious inadequacy. You have a personal distaste of Tubridy so there is little time trying to have a reasoned critique with you. Fwiw I think Tubridy has done quite well so far with a limited hotchpotch of guests. I've never got the feeling that any of his guests have felt awkward or uncomfortable in his presence whereas with O Connor I get the distinct impression that some of them are thinking WTF is this gigantic head trying to impart?

I agree there is just something strange about him on television..cant pin it down though is certainly not suited to being a presenter.
    Anyway in another six weeks or so the show will be dead and buried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Depressing that 37% of the audience think Ahern should be next Lord Mayor of Dublin....

That was the most shocking part of the programme last night! I would of said 10% max.

It just shows you what a large amount of idiots we have in this little nation of ours!mad.gif

As for Barrymore, look at the bits they left out of the show!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

kraggy wrote: »
    I love youtube:

Feck me, he's not well.

I got 10 seconds in and had to stop...way too cringey! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Koloman wrote: »
    That was the most shocking part of the programme last night! I would of said 10% max.

It just shows you what a large amount of idiots we have in this little nation of ours!mad.gif

As for Barrymore, look at the bits they left out of the show!

Ah balls, that looks way better than what they broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I think Tubridy has done quite well so far with a limited hotchpotch of guests. I've never got the feeling that any of his guests have felt awkward or uncomfortable in his presence

You missed the three priests so I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So cringeworthy but its the funniest thing Ive saw in ages. I miss Saturday nights with Barrymore. He was a brilliant entertainer in his day.

You have a personal distaste of Tubridy so there is little time trying to have a reasoned critique with you.

The first part of that statement is true, but if he was doing a good job I would (albeit reluctantly) admit that I found him competent/entertaining.
    Fwiw I think Tubridy has done quite well so far with a limited hotchpotch of guests.

This is the point I disagree on.. interviewing skills or lack of:
    1. When interviewing one of his FF brethren, he asked mealy mouthed questions, not direct questions. Jody Corcoran (who's question he robbed) summed it up well. http://www.independent.ie/national-news/if-tubridy-wanted-to-get-personal-he-should-have-asked-questions-like-a-man-1879538.html
    2. Embarrassing interview with Dawkins. Imagine the questions and experienced and learned interviewer like Pat Kenny would have asked.
    3. Interview with Padraig Harrington. He brought on the man voted as "Ireland's Greatest Sportman" and a genuinely nice guy, and asked him about Tiger Woods' sex life for half an hour.
    4. He was nothing less than insulting to Enda Kenny, just because he was Shirts and Tubridy is Skins. Just threw a selection of tabloid insults at him and asked his opinion. I would love to see Enda become Taoiseach (and I'm no FG-er) just to have him come back on the show after Tubridy's lot had been thrown out of office.
    5. Paul O'Connell interview. He asked him about Donnacha O'Callaghan for twenty minutes.

Knowing nothing about sport is not an excuse - there is such a thing as research. Pat Kenny, for all his faults, was the most prepared interviewer on all topics, even on subjects of which he would have not necessarily had any previous exposure. So I'm not judging him on my personal dislike for the man. I dont like Roy Keane, but he was an excellent footballer.

Any public servant who watches this Independent boot boy is backing the propaganda line put out by the Sunday Indo. Pure and simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Any public servant who watches this Independent boot boy is backing the propaganda line put out by the Sunday Indo. Pure and simple.

Wut?

Including the Jedward fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Pat Kenny, for all his faults, was the most prepared interviewer on all topics, even on subjects of which he would have not necessarily had any previous exposure
    pat didn't do his homework when pete doherty was on the show, pete said to him can you name one of my songs? which stunned pat in to silence:D

Advertisement