Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling gear and what it says about you!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    A bit too similar to the BMC kit for me.

I really like the AG2R kit, I can't decide though if it's on fashion grounds or because Roche rides for them. A lot of Irish people like it, so I'm thinking it's probably the latter.

It looks a lot nicer in front of you than on the telly.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

This is my yellow jersey!

I think it's ironic enough not to provoke 'you gotta earn it' comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mr_staggerlee

gaffmaster wrote: »
    This is my yellow jersey!

I think it's ironic enough not to provoke 'you gotta earn it' comments.
    l luuuuuuurrrrvvvvvveeee that teacake jersey, where can l buy it ???

it's my fav snack nibble the choc, suck the mallow, lick the biscuit yum yum.

at the moment l wear a couple of foskas jersey, the marmite one and a scottish saltire which gets me odd looks cycling in cooley, however it makes me ride quicker in case the snipers get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cyclingmad

gerardduff wrote: »
    You must be mad!
    no i'm not.... its a very comfy kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Whatever you wear please try to make it bright so that drivers will see you better. I don't understand the current fashion for black - it's ok on trade teams who ride in bunches or in races, but guys out their own in dark gear .... ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Should ban black cars too, I never notice them while driving in a daze.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mloc123 wrote: »
    Should ban black cars too, I never notice them while driving in a daze.

except now where they stand out quite well

should do people who dont clear the snow off their cars saw a ninja car, no lights came of the brow of the hill, windscreen cleared rest covered in snow could hardly see it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

cyclingmad wrote: »
    no i'm not.... its a very comfy kit

Wow, five months!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

Alright guys, just seen the thread. One reason to get the team kits is that at the end of the year you can find good reductions on good quality stuff and of course if youre not in a club too.
    Ive picked up the Skil Shimano gear cheap on several occasions this way-Ive got it all alot cheaper than any other gear, any plain gear or any Chinese stuff. I just got a long sleeved jersey for 26e. I find the shimano clothing gear to be a good fit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

eoghan84 wrote: »
    One reason to get the team kits is that at the end of the year you can find good reductions on good quality stuff and of course if youre not in a club too.

That is possibly the worst reason to get it. Part of the image is to not only spend as much as possible on your kit, but to be seen to spend as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

My cycling gear says.... "less cakes/cycle more" tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

c0rk3r wrote: »
    One of the best/funniest things ive ever read on cycling forum is a description of a guys first club cycle. He wore either a yellow jersey or polkadot jersey unaware of the disgust generated by this decision. Whilst they were about to climb or sprint one of the guys breaks away. A number of people are left in the pack and one turned to the jersey guy with the most ruthlessly stinging jibe ive heard "you gonna let him away with that champ". A lesson was learned that day. lol

To be honest they sound like a shower of pricks. If it was his first time with a club I think they should be a bit more welcoming.
    Then there is the case of the "tour" jerseys. If they handed out a "top goalscorer" or "hardet tackler" jersey in other sports then this might apply. After all, I can imagine that the looks of disgust would be even more severe if you went out to play 18 holes in the local golf club wearing a green blazer. You are not supporting anything, you are not even saying anything, but damn you better be able to back it up. Wear a green jersey, you better be able to kick ass in a sprint. Wear the polka dot and you should be able to glide up any hill in the big ring like a feather on the breeze. Unless of course you are making an ironic statement.

I suppose its a bit like wearing a Spanish strip after they win the World Cup?
    I don't ride as part of a club (but was thinking of starting in the summer), but looking through this thread really turns me off the notion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

dayshah wrote: »
    To be honest they sound like a shower of pricks. If it was his first time with a club I think they should be a bit more welcoming.

I don't ride as part of a club (but was thinking of starting in the summer), but looking through this thread really turns me off the notion.

Jerseys are important in cycling, more so than in football. The yellow jersey is a prize, as are champion jerseys. It's possibly more akin to wearing a replica FA Cup medal, or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I think I will try to get the Quick step Champion of Belgium jersey and shorts.....I like the colours but I will never be a Stijn Devolder sorry!!!

I honestly prefer to wear plain stuff or my club kit when training. I think its great to see a large group of club riders together all decked out the same and the bigger the group the better because then I know they are not training....even tho they think they are!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Raam wrote: »
    Jerseys are important in cycling, more so than in football. The yellow jersey is a prize, as are champion jerseys. It's possibly more akin to wearing a replica FA Cup medal, or not.

How about wearing a yellow coloured jersey (not a prize one) for visibility?

In fairness, if they make replica yellow jerseys it's because a lot of people must buy them. Replica medals aren't produced for the public.

As someone who enjoys cycling, but isn't competitive this aspect of cycling 'culture' is a deterrent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How about wearing a yellow coloured jersey (not a prize one) for visibility?

In fairness, if they make replica yellow jerseys it's because a lot of people must buy them. Replica medals aren't produced for the public.

As someone who enjoys cycling, but isn't competitive this aspect of cycling 'culture' is a deterrent to me.

Lots of club cyclists wear hi-vis rain jackets. When it's raining or foggy you need to be more visible. When it isn't, you don't. Feeling that you're constantly threatened by death is an attitude which mostly affects inexperienced cyclists, possibly hence the negative connotations.

As with other activities, some people care about how they look, others less so. There is a big difference between "I wouldn't wear that", friendly pisstaking, and outright sneering. I've never witnessed the latter, and don't think it has any bearing on cycling, any more than some idiot sneering about someone's shoes in a bar would out me off drinking in public.

Anyway, there are plenty of hi-vis costume options which don't require use of yellow. ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

As I understand it, Assos yellow is permitted at all times;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

I'm inclined to agree with @dayshah..............but I have found this a very useful thread. I now know that I should not wear any tour jerseys (unless I can "damn well back it up" or any jersey which acknowledges some sort of feat e.g a jersey with the world champion stripes...................etc etc or I will offend the cycling taste police......

Jaysus...............come on!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

tfrancer wrote: »
    Jaysus...............come on!!!!!!!!!
    I need a new bike to match my Christmas present...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

To be honest they sound like a shower of pricks.

I am sure they were only have a laugh..lord knows how many times I have been laughed at and called stuff like "Buckingham palace on wheels!" or my personal favourite Hyena hair...due to its multi colour (natural i add!) by an Orwell rider....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

if it fits better than usual, you have lost a little weight:

if its tighter than usual: then either:

1): washed at a higher temp than recommended and has shrunk

or

2): you may need to do an extra few miles......

seriously:

i take it rapha is the designer gear ? i suppose that as, a firiend of mine posts pics of the rapha logos on FB

asos seems to be up there also

must admit I own neither....

gear I like ? :

the SKT jersey earned after doing the SKT for the first time this year

the Sky ride T shirt I bought in ennis, before the event:

a Pfizer cork to galway charity cycle for chernobly children raising 140, 000 euro for chernobyl childrens charity: which Mr Kelly kindly took time to sign .

a W200 jersey if it existed;

what do those say about me ??

that I like cycling ?

Gear I like:

gear that washes every day after a spin and is ready to go again the next day after holding shape and not fading:

a trusty Bannesto winter top; bought in the mid nineties

Scott gear: with that seal around the base that helps fit

stuff with enough pockets for the ipod, the tubes, bars, jellies, phone, cash,

gear i dont like :

leggings without foot 'holder's

leggings that slowly slip down over ur cycling shorts ) dont use these anymore)

bad fitting bibs: that u cannot get comfy in ( note will try out the assos as someone mentioned how comfy they are); adjusting the seating of the bib on ur cheeks after 25 miles in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

There is no real comparison with cycling gear and other sporting gear. You can wear a Chelsea jersey down the pub (or when with your mate's girlfriend), you can wear a Leinster jersey out around town (pop that collar and flash those dubes Ross), but cycling gear can only really be worn on the bike unless you are heading out to a Spring Break concert.

Furthermore, since teams change, disband and reorganize pretty much every season, it is hard to "support" a team unless like the guys say it is your local club. There are few choices, with retro kit being the only really accepted one.

Then there is the case of the "tour" jerseys. If they handed out a "top goalscorer" or "hardet tackler" jersey in other sports then this might apply. After all, I can imagine that the looks of disgust would be even more severe if you went out to play 18 holes in the local golf club wearing a green blazer. You are not supporting anything, you are not even saying anything, but damn you better be able to back it up. Wear a green jersey, you better be able to kick ass in a sprint. Wear the polka dot and you should be able to glide up any hill in the big ring like a feather on the breeze. Unless of course you are making an ironic statement.

As for Livestrong kit, I really don't know where this stands, frankly I don't want to know.

The only analogue I can think of is the guy who walks out onto the pitch wearing 200 euro nike mercurial vapors - he better have the skills to back it up or people will go out of their way to show him up.

I have never read such a load of Bo****ks. Maybe you should concentrate more on your cycling than what everyone is wearing. Do you have the same comments to make about the type of bikes people are riding? No point in riding a trek because people like you will expect them to climb like a sherpa or sprint like a cheetah.
    Ok everyone.. In future order your bikes from the local supermarket in case you are accused of being on a bandwagon.:rolleyes:

nophd08 wrote: »
    I have never read such a load of Bo****ks. Maybe you should concentrate more on your cycling than what everyone is wearing. Do you have the same comments to make about the type of bikes people are riding? No point in riding a trek because people like you will expect them to climb like a sherpa or sprint like a cheetah.
    Ok everyone.. In future order your bikes from the local supermarket in case you are accused of being on a bandwagon.:rolleyes:

Nophd 08, ( no phd ? ) its an incredible load of bo~~~~ks: buy stuff to last, thats comfy for u, that fits good.

its gonna get destroyed in sweat, mud, tears, blood, oil, torn on asphalt, I hope there are no fashion police ( Gok ) in the tours and etapes,

sure I notice a well turned out cyclist, but only as i pass him / her by. to get truly noticed in cycling, always be at the front: where everyone can see u !!!!! thats where u earn repsect.

P.S. another favourite jersey i forgot to mention is my club jersy, even if hey did sell me the last available club jersey ( an XXL ) !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Note to self:

Add "unbelievably thin-skinned" to the list of attributes I mentally ascribe to cyclists in poorly chosen kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I wear yellow most of the time because it's bright and I think it makes me more visible to motorists.
    I'm not a bit worried about what the poseurs and fashion stasi think. There's a diffference between fasion and style - most of the fashion stasi have no sense of style.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well i tend to buy for protection as im an aggressive type of mountain biker :D oh look a tree well it better get out of my bloody way with full body armor on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

nophd08 wrote: »

Great, can we hang out? Seriously, I would like to go for some spins.

I mean, if I hang out with someone like you then I will always look good by comparison, even if I dress in a bin bag.

Concentrate more on the cycling? Why bother, I'm pretty crap, but I can do my utmost to look good on the bike, it's all I've ever really wanted. Yes, I'm sure you can get clothing that is comfy, hard wearing and wouldn't look out of place in an oxfam donations bin at the local church. But where the f**k is the fun in that?

@Michael: If your road clothing goes through that kind of abuse then clearly you are doing something wrong. Take care of your bike and you can remove oil from that long list anyway.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,601 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Guys (and in particular posters who are relatively new to the cycling forum)

Try not to take some of the posts in this thread too seriously - it started out on a Friday and has retained some of its "Friday thread" characteristics;)

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Comfort and style (in that order) as for colour, depends on the mood and the weather! Yellow jerseys, Team kits, polkadots ? wear what you feel like wearing. I have a few team jerseys but some are so old they are now classed as retro, in saying that most of my gear is pretty neutral :) apart from this beautiful jersey that I bought from the taxman (twas too small for him!)
    20100805_LampNE_SS.jpg

More important than the style of your attire is the style of your spinning. The gear you push and how you push it is more important than the gear on your back ;)

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    Note to self:

Add "unbelievably thin-skinned" to the list of attributes I mentally ascribe to cyclists in poorly chosen kit.

not sure if this is the same topic, but a certain club in the south east has shorts that become see through after several washes .......

could u imagine !!!!

Advertisement