Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling gear and what it says about you!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

i got really weirded out when someone started talking about a**l bleaching on another cycling forum eugggh

Can I get "Livestrong" bleached onto my ass, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

poolboy wrote: »
    Some company has to make every kit i never suggested 100% of your money goes to charity thats just ridculous my point is if you are going to spend money on a jersey some people may choose to buy a jersey where a portion of that money goes to charity for that decision to be sneered by cycling snobs is what annoys me. This was my point to the op ignore the snobs and their rules and sneers wear what you want and enjoy your bike we are not kids

Poolboy I don't really see what point you are making and continuing to say my points are ridiculous doesn't make it less true. Saying this forum is full of "rubbish" and "snobbery" is fair enough, I guess you just can't see the joke, no need to take everything so seriously.

You brought up Lance and cancer, I only said I don't like the kit. I apologise for my confusing post, I was talking about tour jerseys and "you should be able to back it up" if you wear one, i.e. climb well if you wear polka dot. I just think Livestrong looks crap.

Then saying all this stuff about multinationals and faceless Nike. Well, nothing is stopping you from donating 100% of whatever you give to cancer research and feeling good about yourself rather than "donating" 90 dollars to Nike who will give a percentage of this to the Livestrong foundation. I suggest you google cause related marketing, it makes for some interesting reading.

I like the Liquigas jersey, it has nothing to do with trying to make people more aware of this high gas charges facing poor italian families, I just like bright colours. I'm sorry if you thought my reasons for disliking any kit, except tour jerseys, was based on anything other than style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I've never met anyone in all my years of cycling to be snobbish about a jersey I've been wearing. I'd echo what DV has said though, if your going to wear a yello TDF jersey you'd better back it up. Likewise make sure you can climb if you've got polka dots on and so on and so forth.

Other than that people generally tend not to notice or care what your wearing. I've been known to wear shorts and jersey from seperate teams. Nobody has even made a remark on my lovely pink Fassa Bortolo shorts!

DV if you like bright colours I got this jersey a couple of years back. Possibly the funkiest colours I've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,034 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dirk, it pains me to type this, but I think you're just going to have to accept that for some people, cycling is just about riding a bike.

What would Gok Wan do?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think I'll get myself a pair of these:

9551.jpg

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    DV if you like bright colours I got this jersey a couple of years back. Possibly the funkiest colours I've got.

Nice!

@Lumen: Extending the logic being applied against "snobbish" cyclists, then surely I couldn't give a crap what people want to do on a bike, for me it's also about looking good on the bike and what other people think doesn't concern me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

To be honest I've never met anyone in all my years of cycling to be snobbish about a jersey I've been wearing.
    iregk wrote:
    I'd echo what DV has said though, if your going to wear a yello TDF jersey you'd better back it up. Likewise make sure you can climb if you've got polka dots on and so on and so forth.

Aren't those two statements contradictory?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

To be honest I've never met anyone in all my years of cycling to be snobbish about a jersey I've been wearing. I'd echo what DV has said though, if your going to wear a yello TDF jersey you'd better back it up. Likewise make sure you can climb if you've got polka dots on and so on and so forth.

Other than that people generally tend not to notice or care what your wearing. I've been known to wear shorts and jersey from seperate teams. Nobody has even made a remark on my lovely pink Fassa Bortolo shorts!

Would have to agree with this, generally apart from a bit of slagging within the group nobody is going to be bothered about what kind of gear you are wearing. Although, having said if someone arrives out in a Tour De France king of ther mountains jersey you can bet what is going to happen on the first climb

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Poolboy I don't really see what point you are making and continuing to say my points are ridiculous doesn't make it less true. Saying this forum is full of "rubbish" and "snobbery" is fair enough, I guess you just can't see the joke, no need to take everything so seriously.

You brought up Lance and cancer, I only said I don't like the kit. I apologise for my confusing post, I was talking about tour jerseys and "you should be able to back it up" if you wear one, i.e. climb well if you wear polka dot. I just think Livestrong looks crap.

Then saying all this stuff about multinationals and faceless Nike. Well, nothing is stopping you from donating 100% of whatever you give to cancer research and feeling good about yourself rather than "donating" 90 dollars to Nike who will give a percentage of this to the Livestrong foundation. I suggest you google cause related marketing, it makes for some interesting reading.

I like the Liquigas jersey, it has nothing to do with trying to make people more aware of this high gas charges facing poor italian families, I just like bright colours. I'm sorry if you thought my reasons for disliking any kit, except tour jerseys, was based on anything other than style.

Fair enough.

For what it's worth, I actually think the new 2010 livestrong jersey looks pretty sharp, certainly more so than the "tarmac and double yellow line" look of the old one:

Livestrong%20Jersey%20WMNS-2T.jpg

The nike logo design is a bit too reminiscent of their football jersey design though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

The British contingent should be pleased to know that Rapha will releasing a UK country jersey replete with butchers apron, sorry Union Jack logo on the rear pocket.

doozerie wrote: »
    Aren't those two statements contradictory?

No absolutely not. What your probably missing is the tongue in cheek element of the TDF jersey reference.

Its one thing people being snobbish about a jersey, which as I've said I've never seen and a totally different thing your mates ripping the piss when you roll up in the yellow.

No absolutely not. What your probably missing is the tongue in cheek element of the TDF jersey reference.

Its one thing people being snobbish about a jersey, which as I've said I've never seen and a totally different thing your mates ripping the piss when you roll up in the yellow.

That depends on how you define snobbery, to be honest. Personally I see no difference between someone being slagged for wearing a yellow jersey and someone being slagged for turning up riding either a rusty bike dating from the 70's or a top of the range Cervelo to take one example.

Why automatically assume that a person's choice of clothing, or bike, is representative of their view of their own cycling ability? Is someone wearing a Festina jersey voicing their support for drug taking? Do you have to be Basque to wear the Euskaltel-Euskadi jersey? Some people choose their kit on the basis of practicality (yellow is obviously a good choice if you want to be visible to other traffic), some people choose it on the basis of budget (if yellow jerseys are so unpopular then presumably they are to found in the bargain bin for a fraction of the price of more popular/acceptable kit), etc., etc. Perhaps you are reading more into their choices than they ever did themselves, and perhaps you should ask yourself why you feel the need to do so.

At the end of the day, once you strip away the elitism and the ****e, cycling is just a hobby for the vast majority of people that participate in the sport. Before having a go at others for their choice of kit, remember that regardless of how acceptable your own kit is amongst your peers the non-cycling world still sees you (and me) as sad, weird, and in the most homophobic cases possibly even fetishistic, hobbyists that like to wear lycra in public. None of us are exactly ideally placed to pull the piss out of anyone else's wardrobe.

I have learnt the hard way, chicks don't go for cyclists, even though it is the most hardcore of sports.

I have learnt the hard way, chicks don't go for cyclists, even though it is the most hardcore of sports.

You're doing it wrong.

DSCN2004-739154.JPG

He's Cipo, I can't compete. I'm referring more to the emaciated climbers, could you imagine Rasmussen in that photo?

He's Cipo, I can't compete. I'm referring more to the emaciated climbers, could you imagine Rasmussen in that photo?

Who cares whether they're paid to do it?

the_lider_michael_rasmussen_600.jpg

Look at his face, could he not smile a little? Or is he thinking "this lipstick is going to increase my aerodynamic drag, get away from me you harpees!"

Ok, so AMATEUR cyclists are yet to reach the same highs.

Ok, so AMATEUR cyclists are yet to reach the same highs.

Sure they are, but some of them are too busy chatting up their cup of tea to make the most of the opportunities....

84340.JPG

Look at the size of my head, Christ!

Oh Kerry rose, such a fox!

• Advertisement

On the subject of kit, while I like the boards jersey, the cut of it is truly awful. I think it's the most ill-fitting jersey I own. I just wear the winter jacket now, fits much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am happy to say that I am significantly smaller now. So I will not head to the shop to grab a coke taytos and a bar of chocolate :-)
    Still Kerry chicks dig a chunky man.

Dirk, you are most definitely doing it wrong.

doozerie wrote: »
    Perhaps you are reading more into their choices than they ever did themselves, and perhaps you should ask yourself why you feel the need to do so.

Personally I think your reading way too much into and need to let it go.

Personally I think your reading way too much into and need to let it go.

I'd like to let it go, I really would, but I'm wearing my commerative Jeremy Paxman jersey today and the peer pressure to persist is, frankly, overwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cyclingmad

Basster wrote: »
    Probably a strange thread, but I hope ye will get where I'm coming from. Basically I need to pick up some 'proper' cycling gear to stop myself wearing winter running gear on the bike. Basically, does certain team gear make certain say, statements about the person wearing it? For instance I'm guessing that wearing Astana gear would make me look like one of those types wearing a Chelsea jersey in the pub?

Or am I paranoid?!! Is the An Post some fair game? I like the idea of wearing Irish gear. Cheers!

I Bought the An Post kit today, I bought jersey and shorts because It'd be hgard to find anything that matches green shortssmile.gif... Also its very well priced Bib shorts cost me only €54.99 and Short sleeve jersey only €49.99 compared to the Saxo Bank jersey which Alone is €80, I bought in Cycle Ways, which is opposite the Ilac Centre on Parnell Street

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

cyclingmad wrote: »
    I Bought the An Post kit today, I bought jersey and shorts because It'd be hgard to find anything that matches green shortssmile.gif... Also its very well priced Bib shorts cost me only €54.99 and Short sleeve jersey only €49.99 compared to the Saxo Bank jersey which Alone is €80, I bought in Cycle Ways, which is opposite the Ilac Centre on Parnell Street
    You must be mad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

Wow 6 pages! Almost as good as the 11 pages discussing 'freds'. Nice work guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

I bought the radio shack jersey a few days ago. Its one of the nicest around in my opinion:)

• Advertisement

I bought the radio shack jersey a few days ago. Its one of the nicest around in my opinion:)

A bit too similar to the BMC kit for me.

I really like the AG2R kit, I can't decide though if it's on fashion grounds or because Roche rides for them. A lot of Irish people like it, so I'm thinking it's probably the latter.

Advertisement