Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Training

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jfit

I wouldnt say that Plyometrics are not understood - mechanically and physiologically we have quite a good understanding - exercises are not the problem - poor coaching is - poor understanding of when to introduce, what to introduce, volumes and so on.

There is a view that a certain levels of stength should be in place before Plyometric training takes place - exactly how much is debated.

I train kids ranging in ages from 4 - 18yrs all of whom jump, hop, sprint etc with no ill effects. Kids play ranges of sports all the time which include plyometric movement - problems arise when a coach decides to create a specific plyometric session for individuals without testing landing mechanics, strength levels, history of plyo training etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭bubbleking

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Erm... can you expand that a bit?
    Are you relating strength levels to wether you should do plyos?

Il have to look up my old lecture notes on this one but i think it was suggested that an athlete should have a Squat 1RM of 1.5 times their body weight before attempting any form of plyo

Advertisement