Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Training

Options
  • 04-02-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Right. So I'm currently playing rugby and football, training five times a week and doing weights twice a week. I need to increase my speed because I want to chage position in rugby.
    I was wondering what the best exercises/weightlifts and other 'drills' I could use to increase my speed. I would be looking for explosive speed. 'Speed to burn' kind of thing. :D
    I'm currently doing sets of sprints three times a week also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Do a little bit of research on plyometrics.

What position are you looking to change from and to ? Is weight loss a possibility ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Stats? Position now and possible future position? Current lifts? last strength test/body comp test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

doesnt putting on muscle slow you down?

If it did, this guy would be a pedestrian
    340x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

mink_man wrote: »
    emmm no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

mink_man wrote: »

I had this argument witha mate recently. (both drunk)
    I said that if it did then sprinters wouldn't bulk up.

He said they don't all do it.
    Then he tried to use Kim Collins as proof of his point.

Bless him.

If it did, this guy would be a pedestrian
    340x.jpg

We could all run fast and carry muscle with the aid of illegal substances!! :D

He is fast without them though.
    And still big.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

This is a better example for ya?

usain-bolt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Maurice_Green.jpg

Maurice Green. like a match stick...

shawn_crawford2.jpg

Shawn Crawford, fecking tiny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,072 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

My speed has improved by about 1.5secs over 100 metres since I started doing weight training about 18 months back

I am 26 now but always bit short on the speed side of things..

If it can work for me it can work for anyone

We could all run fast and carry muscle with the aid of illegal substances!! :D
    yeah cos that's what made him fast- the pixie juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

5ft 7"
    just over 9 and a half stone (62kg)
    Bench press 50kg
    Dumbell press 17.5kg
    Dumbell fly 10kg
    Squat 55kg
    Seated calf raise around 60kg (cant remeber properly the last time i did it)
    I haven't taken any times for 100m so I'll have to get that done soon

In regards to position I've played scrum-half for my school's B-team and I've played centre for the C team.
    I want to try a move out onto the wing but I know I'll need more speed for this.
    I've never been slow but I wouldn't want to be put on the wing and get easily outrun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sprinting_towards_single_digit_body_fat
    It gives a sample workout of a sprinter.
    I used some of the workouts in this,helped me a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Goin90 wrote: »
    5ft 7"
    Bench press 50kg
    Dumbell press 17.5kg
    Dumbell fly 10kg
    Squat 55kg
    Seated calf raise around 60kg (cant remeber properly the last time i did it)
    I haven't taken any times for 100m so I'll have to get that done soon

In regards to position I've played scrum-half for my school's B-team and I've played centre for the C team.
    I want to try a move out onto the wing but I know I'll need more speed for this.
    I've never been slow but I wouldn't want to be put on the wing and get easily outrun

What age are you OP??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Goin90 wrote: »
    5ft 7"
    Bench press 50kg
    Dumbell press 17.5kg

Dumbell fly 10kg
    Squat 55kg

Bench 50kg and squat 55kg?
    What age are you and how long have you being doing weights?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Goin90

I'm 16 been doing weights for about a year. Don't use a structured weights programme or anything tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jfit

You should try to find a qualified trainer in your area, somebody who has a track record rather than simply looking to a gym for an instructor. A sprint coach with an athletics club will be able to teach you drills, mechanics, acceleration, max velocity etc.

On the strength side of things, in terms of long term development, you are really only in the foundation stage - literature tells us that a 2 year anatomical adaptation (foundation) should be laid before an athlete/player moves towards developing maximum strength.

Remember the development of speed is neural - in other words you can continue to improve speed if you are taught proper mechanics, drills and if you sprint.

Do not rush down the road of chasing heavy weight yet, leave that for another 12 months - if you can, contact a sprint coach and ask him to steer you in the direction of a qualified strength and conditioning coach (someone with a track record i.e. working with athletes/players of good calibre).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

jfit wrote: »
    On the strength side of things, in terms of long term development, you are really only in the foundation stage - literature tells us that a 2 year anatomical adaptation (foundation) should be laid before an athlete/player moves towards developing maximum strength.

Can you explain what this means, and what literature it came from?

Not having a shot at all, genuinely curious :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

For team sports you can do some completely different speed drills than what a sprinter or certainly a long distance runner would do.

You have your bog standard high knees, heel flicks and running backwards, which all always worked for me. You'd also be looking at acceleration development, once already warmed up; things like standing sprints - sprinting from a standing start or a sprint from 'dancing' on the spot.
    Varied speed runs - for example sprinting for 20m, holding your pace for 20m then increasing your pace for 20m, dropping pace for 20m then try to get back to faster pace for 20m etc
    Sprinting from a lying down start is a good rugby drill to increase how quickly you can go from lying down after a tackle to reaching max. speed.
    Build up sprints - running to 25m, increase your speed between 25m and 50m, increase again between 50m and 75m and then maintain your pace between 75m and 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

digme wrote: »
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sprinting_towards_single_digit_body_fat
    It gives a sample workout of a sprinter.
    I used some of the workouts in this,helped me a lot.

that really looks the part, thanks for that. if that doesnt improve sprint times god help us!! :)

The IRFU has set out a Long term players development model, something that has been in place for years in other countries and also now being implemented by the GAA (with resistance I believe to certain aspects).

You will a lot of info on this under LTPD or LTAD (long term athlete development) if you search.

All periodization models include an anatomical adaptation phase at the beginning. When dealing with a 16year old (for most sports but no all e.g early development sports such as swimming, gymnstics etc) with 1 years of strength training the approach (for long term benefit) is a 2 year AA period - this should be filled with Circuit training, learning technique for squats, Deadlifting, introduction to Olympic lifts but emphasising technique over weight, once this base is laid the individual can move to the development of Max strength which becomes crucial in terms of continued speed development.

There are quite a few more movement related issues for a field sport player to consider in terms of speed development, deceleration, change of direction and so on. The OP was, I think, looking to better his forward running speed - its too simplistic by the way to describe drills as bog standard - drills like Mach's A and B drills are executed improperly by the majority of athletes (I've rarely seen a rugby or GAA players use these drills) - these need to be taught be somebody who understands how they were developed in the first instance.

An introduction to plyometrics (low volume) woulds also be a good idea - mechanics (especially landing technique) must be properly taught at the beginning.

You wouldn't happen to be doing the Setanta course would you jfit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Conditioned

The IRFU has set out a Long term players development model, something that has been in place for years in other countries and also now being implemented by the GAA (with resistance I believe to certain aspects).

You will a lot of info on this under LTPD or LTAD (long term athlete development) if you search.

All periodization models include an anatomical adaptation phase at the beginning. When dealing with a 16year old (for most sports but no all e.g early development sports such as swimming, gymnstics etc) with 1 years of strength training the approach (for long term benefit) is a 2 year AA period - this should be filled with Circuit training, learning technique for squats, Deadlifting, introduction to Olympic lifts but emphasising technique over weight, once this base is laid the individual can move to the development of Max strength which becomes crucial in terms of continued speed development.

There are quite a few more movement related issues for a field sport player to consider in terms of speed development, deceleration, change of direction and so on. The OP was, I think, looking to better his forward running speed - its too simplistic by the way to describe drills as bog standard - drills like Mach's A and B drills are executed improperly by the majority of athletes (I've rarely seen a rugby or GAA players use these drills) - these need to be taught be somebody who understands how they were developed in the first instance.

An introduction to plyometrics (low volume) woulds also be a good idea - mechanics (especially landing technique) must be properly taught at the beginning.

What aspects are being met with resistance by the GAA?

Ya, I did the 2 years with Setanta but I started my fitness enthusiasm (and qualifications) over 20 years ago.

If you really want to understans speed, its development, its links with strength, plyometrics and so on, search out the definitive research undertaken in the 1990s by the IAAF - track and field always led the way in terms of research - fantastic stuff which still stands up today.

GAA resistance - I've been told by coaches from different parts of the country that members are not too happy with the idea of eliminating competitive matches for younger children - this is part of the LTPD philosophy.

GAA resistance - I've been told by coaches from different parts of the country that members are not too happy with the idea of eliminating competitive matches for younger children - this is part of the LTPD philosophy.

Wait, what?
    They stop kids playing, in order to train them in it?

Whats the point in a sport, if you can't play the sport?
    I think I can see where that may be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

d'Oracle wrote: »
    Wait, what?
    They stop kids playing, in order to train them in it?

Whats the point in a sport, if you can't play the sport?
    I think I can see where that may be a problem.

Its not stop them playing its that the competitive type of games shouldnt be allowed that skills should be the focus not winning. As in challenge matches or friendlies would be allowed but no real competitive cups or leagues. The FA in england are looking into something similiar as well.

To some degree clubs have started this policy themselves by ensuring that everyone plays in the matches and not making decisions on subs, tactics etc based on the score of the matches but on the hope of everyone getting game time.

A big difference from even a few years ago when certain players were always favored and others always blacklisted

injured365 wrote: »
    Its not stop them playing its that the competitive type of games shouldnt be allowed that skills should be the focus not winning. As in challenge matches or friendlies would be allowed but no real competitive cups or leagues. The FA in england are looking into something similiar as well.

To some degree clubs have started this policy themselves by ensuring that everyone plays in the matches and not making decisions on subs, tactics etc based on the score of the matches but on the hope of everyone getting game time.

A big difference from even a few years ago when certain players were always favored and others always blacklisted

Oh, right.

Ya, I did the 2 years with Setanta but I started my fitness enthusiasm (and qualifications) over 20 years ago.
    Thought you might have, that paragraph you wrote above was more or less word for word from one of the lectures :)
    If you really want to understans speed, its development, its links with strength, plyometrics and so on, search out the definitive research undertaken in the 1990s by the IAAF - track and field always led the way in terms of research - fantastic stuff which still stands up today.
    which itself was just proof of much of the Soviet material from the 70s and 80s, with apparently still a lot of mistranslations and misinterpretations.

Plyometrics are, for me, the number 1 most misused set of exercises in training. No one really understands what they're for or how to programme them in. My mate, thanks to a whole weekend's "Reebok Plyometrics" course once put a DSL team through a whole 90 minutes of plyo work where the training age was probably between 0 and 2 years. He's an idiot of course but it's common enough to see guys who can deadlift 100kgs jumping on and off boxes.

• Advertisement

it's common enough to see guys who can deadlift 100kgs jumping on and off boxes.

Erm... can you expand that a bit?
    Are you relating strength levels to wether you should do plyos?

Advertisement