Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vu+ duo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wiggy wrote: »
    Interesting, I might give that a spin.

Which .ipk do you need for a VU+?

project-valerie_<rev>_mipsel_oe16.ipk,
    project-valerie_<rev>_mipsel_oe15.ipk

or

project-valerie_<rev>_sh4.ipk?

The oe16.ipk is for E2 boxes ;) But if you are on VIX you may aswell just instll from the feeds as no matter which rev, ie r1211....
    It will default to the feeds version anyway.

There is an excellent support/Dev group based over at http://code.google.com/p/project-valerie/ where there is great advice and very prompt responses.
    And as i have fiddled and tweaked with it for a bit if i can help at all I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Does anyone have a multisat bouquet that they could provide a link to?

I had a great one, but my box was acting funny and wouldn't start right. Ended up having to re-flash ViX across again and lost it! Had it since around November last year and I can't remember where I got it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

banie01 wrote: »
    Any good media player for the Vix Image on a vu duo other than the standard media player for video files?

I'm using project Valerie at the moment as the front end for my media player, and after some tweaking adding filetypes and setting up paths via the webIF.
    I must say its a very nifty little plugin.
    I particularly like the way it will pull movie synopsis and posters from IMDB along with grouping TV series with artwork and synopsis and allow me sequential playback on series.

It did take me a little while to get all my media set up in the Project Valerie database.
    I had a few issues getting it up and running initially with incorrect sync but the folks over at the PV forum were a great help and shared with me the little trick of using a 'valerie.info' file particularly for TV series ;)
    And the time i spent getting to learn how to use both the PV web interface and the built in sync manager have paid off for me.

Only issue I have with Valerie on VIX, is that while Project Valerie do release nightly builds.....Their last release candidate was r1211 while the VIX install always defaults to r1162 and will remain at that until the next new version is released and the feeds updated!
    Even installing the latest .ipk will default to an r1162 install and I have yet to find a way around this.

Unfortunately with the regular updates from the project Valerie team it constantly led to conflicts with the image and has to be coded to be compatible with vix image. For this reason it will revert to the feeds version as is better than having your image crash :) but every time we release an update to the image we also update project Valerie to the latest version. We have asked for anyone to feel free to contact project Valerie team to contact us to discuss a better combined effort but so far no contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Has anyone had problems permanently deleting recordings on the hard drive using VIX 2.3?

I used the remote control to permanently delete items in the trash can but it doesn't free up any space. The files don't show up in the trash list on the TV but are still there when I access it via FTP.

The only way I have found around this is by logging in via FTP and deleting the files in the hidden folder called .trash. This then frees up the space.

irishchris wrote: »
    Unfortunately with the regular updates from the project Valerie team it constantly led to conflicts with the image and has to be coded to be compatible with vix image. For this reason it will revert to the feeds version as is better than having your image crash :) but every time we release an update to the image we also update project Valerie to the latest version. We have asked for anyone to feel free to contact project Valerie team to contact us to discuss a better combined effort but so far no contact.

Yeah I know there are issues with the nightly's on VIX and to be fair its better to nail it to a working release than have the VIX dev's chasing after crashes that aren't theirs to begin with.

I've been in touch with the PV team on this and they are of the opinion that they want to ensure maximum cross compatibity on E2 flavours and hardware and won't devote time to specific image tailoring.
    That said anytime I've had a prob if I submit them a debug log they always revert quickly with a suggested fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I'm on the latest Vix and all has been running great but I had an odd occurrence last night. All of a sudden the box went into a continuous rebooting loop with an error message saying something vague about the timer.

I did have a recording running at the time but there was nothing else out of ordinary lately. A bit of googling threw up a question of whether the disk might be full but I knew I had about 500GB free.
    Long story short I managed to break the loop with Telnet Init 4 (or is it Init 3, I always mix them up?), and get into the HDD then using Total Commander, and would you believe it the disk WAS full after all.

I'd set a film to record the night before, and the box recorded it twice, with each file being 254GB in size!!! Luckily I could delete them from there, rebooted, and all was well after that.
    I wonder what would cause such a thing to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

clancger wrote: »
    I'd set a film to record the night before, and the box recorded it twice, with each file being 254GB in size!!! Luckily I could delete them from there, rebooted, and all was well after that.
    I wonder what would cause such a thing to happen?

Same happened me last night, only this time it recorded the same thing twice at 117GB each.

...This rev seems flakier (more pauses/ forced reboots) than I've ever had with any other rev. I'd go back to a previous VIX, but I had a bit of bother losing the usb driver before this update, so I'll stick with it and hope everything is sorted with the next update.

...Anyone any ideas when the next main VIX release is due?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Guys

Have a Vu+ running the Black Hole image and looking to get a usb dvb-t usb for Saorview (Saorsat isn't really an option for me).

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Not all of them work yet (as I recently found out) - check http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/ to ensure you get one with a chipset for which there is a driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

Same happened me last night, only this time it recorded the same thing twice at 117GB each.

...This rev seems flakier (more pauses/ forced reboots) than I've ever had with any other rev. I'd go back to a previous VIX, but I had a bit of bother losing the usb driver before this update, so I'll stick with it and hope everything is sorted with the next update.

...Anyone any ideas when the next main VIX release is due?

Actually, considering I'll have my Duo 2 yrs at the beginning of May, and leaving the one off recording problem last week to one side, I'd say the my experience of the current VIX release is the best to date.
    I did struggle a good bit when moving to this specific release, mainly cos I was using a bunch of standalone plugins to deliver functions that are now in the release itself. I was screwing up my install each time as I was trying to install them out of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

SalteeDog wrote: »
    Not all of them work yet (as I recently found out) - check http://www.vuplus-community.net/board/ to ensure you get one with a chipset for which there is a driver.

Cool - thaks. I'm having a look now :)

My Italian is not the best tho!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

playtv dual tuner using hauppauge drivers worked best for me.

Guys

Have a Vu+ running the Black Hole image and looking to get a usb dvb-t usb for Saorview (Saorsat isn't really an option for me).

Any recommendations?

stanley1 wrote: »
    playtv dual tuner using hauppauge drivers worked best for me.

I'm with Stan on this one :)
    I use a Sony PlayTV dual tuner that I picked up for @€;25 including shipping if memory serves.
    Can be got fairly cheaply on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

hard to find it at that price, mostly 60-70.

stanley1 wrote: »
    hard to find it at that price, mostly 60-70.

I was lucky with mine ;) bit of auction sniping :P
    If I'm buying via ebay I always search ebay.com rather than .ie or .co.uk as it it gives a much broader pool of results usually.
    And even now there is only 1 available at £35stg(2nd hand)plus postage.
    They are getting rarer but paying anything more than €45+pp is really overpaying IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

thinking of selling my spiderbox and getting one of these beauty's

anyone have experience with these guys?

http://www.satshop.tv/VU-Duo-Twin

it looks like good price of €299 for the Duo (just want to make sure I am not paying for a clone)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I have used satshop.tv before for Vu Solo and found them to be perfect. Was looking at buying an Ultimo off them again until I seen the price of the Duo. Bargain at €320 to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Auvers wrote: »
    thinking of selling my spiderbox and getting one of these beauty's

anyone have experience with these guys?

http://www.satshop.tv/VU-Duo-Twin

it looks like good price of €299 for the Duo (just want to make sure I am not paying for a clone)

its not a clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Bought one recently off local operator www.satboxes.com. Good value for unit with 2TB drive. Genuine unit and excellent support too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭irishgeo

http://www.satellitetv.ie/raffle

Satellite TV are running a raffle for a Vu Duo only €9 in for a ticket and only 45 tickets.

irishgeo wrote: »
    http://www.satellitetv.ie/raffle

Satellite TV are running a raffle for a Vu Duo only €9 in for a ticket and only 45 tickets.

€9 for a 1/45 chance of a prize valued at €410. The vu+ duo is only around €300-€320 if you shop around

I think I would get better odds down the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

recyclebin wrote: »
    €9 for a 1/45 chance of a prize valued at €410. The vu+ duo is only around €300-€320 if you shop around

I think I would get better odds down the bookies.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Has anyone noticed that amount of channels that keep changing frequency .... Its a big downside with this type of box, having to constantly re-tune dissapeared channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

it only takes 2 mins to upload a new channel list

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Don't think using the word "constantly" is appropriate . I've only had to retune mine once this year and even then that was to add a new channel.

dnme wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that amount of channels that keep changing frequency .... Its a big downside with this type of box, having to constantly re-tune dissapeared channels.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

dnme wrote: »
    28 east has had a few this year with more to come mainly due to movement to astra 1N. With a life cycle of 15 years for this satellite there should not be such an amount moving at once for quite some time. Think I can live with that lol

Is there a website that show what channel changes have happened on 28E over the last couple of years?

It would be interesting to see how many times different channels have moved transponder.

The vu+ is fairly easy to update anyway so it's not really a problem for me. I'd say it would be a problem for those not technically minded though.

Edit: I found this thread on world of satellite showing the changes on 28E

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3621-Sky-uk-28-2-east-NEW-CHANNELS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

From my own experience, in the past 4-6 weeks, Ive lost . . .

CBS Reality
    ITV
    Channel 4 HD
    Movies 4 Men (possibly +1)
    Movies 4 Men 2 (possibly +1)
    Pick TV

I loose about one or 2 a week or so it seems. That to me is a hell of a lot of upset. Will we ever see the day when these channels can update themselves on non Sky boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Came across a new plugin this week. I think its so good its worth a mention here. Its called:

enigma2-plugin-extensions-remotestreamconvert_2.0+git3+4656143-r0_mipsel

What does it do??

Well, if you are the proud owner of 2 enigma2 satellite receivers, like the VU+Duo, Solo or dreambox 800hd. If you have both(or more, you can as many as you like) of these received networked together, well than you can watch channel from one receiver on the 2nd or 3rd receiver. (more advanced version of partnershipbox) What this plugin does is duplicate whatever bouquet you want from your main receiver onto your other receivers.

Why would you want to do this?

Well you may have pay tv channels that are only viewable on main receiver. These channels would now be viewable on remote receiver by selecting channel from newly created remote bouquet.
    Or you may have your main receiver connected to multisat and other receivers connected only to 28deg. With this plugin you will be able to view all other sats on other receivers by selecting them in remote bouquet.
    Or you may want to have sat tv where you have no satellite cables going to? Conservatory, bedroom etc. Well no problem with this plugin. You just need receiver connected to your house network. Wifi dongle will do! TV without cables.
    Ideally your main receiver should be a twin tuner like duo, so that viewing on 2nd box does not effect viewing on main box. Works flawlessly with Saorview too, if you have DTT dongle in main receiver. (no need for dtt dongle in other receivers)

What do you have to do?

Well download the plugin. Duo users use link below. Dreambox users can get plugin in pli image in plugins/extensions

FTP this plugin to (2nd receiver) Var/Volitile/Tmp Then in menu/VIX install local extension. GUI reboot. It shows up in Menu / Setup / Service Searching

Remote channel stream converter.

Press yellow button, enter ip address of your main receiver, press green. plugin will now find all bouquets on main box, select ones you want on 2nd receiver and press green again. plugin does its magic and your done! You will now have new bouquet called remote_(whatever bouquet name from main receiver)
    Enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement