Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish Muslim Response to MPAC.IE

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭EireMuzzie

Hobbes wrote: »
    Hi,

I am not going to read the whole thread but there seems to be a clear theme.

1. Attack the post, not the poster. That applies to everyone. No users are on trial here.

2. I believe boards.ie requires that if you work for a particular organisation you are required to make that clear if your promoting that site or you risk a site ban. EireMuzzle has said he is not, so leave it at that. It is possible to agree with some websites details even if you don't run the site.

Also why/when EireMuzzle joined is not open for speculation on this forum.

3. Let me make this clear. If you make a claim, it is up to you to show your sources. Even if those sources are flawed/incorrect you are still required to point them out. If you are not capable of doing this you should retract your statement or risk a ban.

4. Just because someone else breaks a rule does not give you an excuse to avoid the same rule.

5. IF someone is breaking the charter report the post. Do not speculate on the thread.

Lastly.. I had stepped down from modship a while back but the paperwork is only catching up now. So I may or may not be a mod soon. :) That doesn't mean that this post should be ignored. Thanks.

Fair enough - I am unable to reveal the sources I mentioned earlier as I believe it would compromise their positions in this hostile anti-Muslim climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

EireMuzzie wrote: »
    Fair enough - I am unable to reveal the sources I mentioned earlier as I believe it would compromise their positions in this hostile anti-Muslim climate.

To clarify (from PMs), by sources you mean one Iman and a stand in Iman while that Iman was away.

While we won't go further asking you to name these two people, it does correctly put your earlier post in context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

What is wrong with having a drug-addict as a friend? And how do they define drug-addict?

Jaysus....no answers.

Somalians chew "CHAT" or "CHET"...an addictive leaf.

Other muslims smoke tobacco, and drink strong coffee.

Suppose a good muslim is dying in hospital, and is on morphine? Is he now a drug addict and going to hell?

These vague propositions need bringing up to speed to fit the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Jaysus....no answers.

Somalians chew "CHAT" or "CHET"...an addictive leaf.

Other muslims smoke tobacco, and drink strong coffee.

Suppose a good muslim is dying in hospital, and is on morphine? Is he now a drug addict and going to hell?

These vague propositions need bringing up to speed to fit the modern world.

Who are you directing your questions to? Is it in response to what a previous poster said?

• Advertisement

Who are you directing your questions to? Is it in response to what a previous poster said?

Nobody in particular, there was some mention in this thread....somebody referenced/quoted somebody else as having these views. Thanks.

Nobody in particular, there was some mention in this thread....somebody referenced/quoted somebody else as having these views. Thanks.

Well you should quote the person who said it as they are probably best to respond to you.

Well you should quote the person who said it as they are probably best to respond to you.

I dont think they are. I am looking for an opinion on their opinion.

If you see what I am saying....it would not advance the argument much to get a 2nd opinion from the person giving the opinion in the first place.

Cheers. And thanks for replying too!:cool:

I dont think they are. I am looking for an opinion on their opinion.

If you see what I am saying....it would not advance the argument much to get a 2nd opinion from the person giving the opinion in the first place.

Cheers. And thanks for replying too!:cool:

Ok, well there are 69 posts in this thread so I don't remember exactly what they said but going by your post they must have said it is not good to have a drug-addict friend. If you are looking for an Islamic perspective on this then the idea is that it is not good to spend too much time with people who act in an unislamic way, be that drinking alcohol, taking drugs, etc. If you spend a lot of time with drug addicts for example, there is a good chance you might be tempted to experiment yourself. I think this is common sense advice, your parents would probably tell you the same thing!

Ok, well there are 69 posts in this thread so I don't remember exactly what they said but going by your post they must have said it is not good to have a drug-addict friend. If you are looking for an Islamic perspective on this then the idea is that it is not good to spend too much time with people who act in an unislamic way, be that drinking alcohol, taking drugs, etc. If you spend a lot of time with drug addicts for example, there is a good chance you might be tempted to experiment yourself. I think this is common sense advice, your parents would probably tell you the same thing!

Yeah, that makes sense. Common sense is always the best.

What I had a problem with was taking the religious guidance into very particular areas of the modern world we live in.

Such as...Cancer patients on drugs, such as Morphine, often develop an addiction or serious complications.

Common sense would dictate that we love this Muslim as much as the next.

Same as a guy who smokes Shisha or chews Chet. These are harmless activities, traditional to the Ummayah for millennia but they are also drug-related activities.

• Advertisement

Such as...Cancer patients on drugs, such as Morphine, often develop an addiction or serious complications.

Common sense would dictate that we love this Muslim as much as the next.

I agree 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Same as a guy who smokes Shisha or chews Chet. These are harmless activities, traditional to the Ummayah for millennia but they are also drug-related activities.

Not everyone would agree that smoking shisha is harmless - see this BBC report.

hivizman wrote: »
    Not everyone would agree that smoking shisha is harmless - see this BBC report.

But it is traditional to the people of the region, no?

Advertisement